HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 11:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The QMJHL threads weren't overly popular the last couple of years so I haven't started one this year (although anyone is welcome to do so if they wish).

Good news about Khovanov. I'm glad to hear he is recovering from his hepatitis. He is an important piece in the puzzle for the Wildcats for the next few years.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
It’s been like that for more than a week now, I’m not sure why.
Big ISP change 2 weeks ago. Still working out all loose ends.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
Big ISP change 2 weeks ago. Still working out all loose ends.
Thank you for the update, I wasn’t going to say anything as I wasn’t very concerned, but once I saw someone else mention it, I figured I’d mention it as well.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 3:20 PM

City just announced the oval outside the new arena will be named after the late Ian Fowler!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 3:20 PM

Kevin Silliker‏
@MonctonMan
32s33 seconds ago
More
#Moncton Downtown Events Centre Plaza announcement - Manship family contributes $1.1 million to oval skating rink, named to honour Ian Fowler. #design #art #fitness #culture

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 3:24 PM

I was hoping they'd name the entire plaza after Ian but that's nice too.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 4:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

$1.1M - a nice contribution from the Manship family!

Glad to see Ian Fowler getting some recognition, but like others have mentioned, it would be nice if the whole plaza was named after him.......

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 9:07 PM

Just noticed on the webcam the city has the new lights on outside the arena! They are changing colours on the roof.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 9:46 PM

I work right next to the events centre, what a great urban feel this gives the skyline on that end of town, really draws your eye in, especially from far away..driving in from riverview over the bridge.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 10:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

City of Moncton news release regarding the new Ian Fowler Oval

Quote:
Significant contribution helps create new downtown public space dedicated to the late Ian Fowler

December 12, 2017

MONCTON – Earlier today, Moncton Mayor Dawn Arnold recognized the significant financial contribution of long-time Monctonians Jon and Leslie Manship toward the new public space leading into the city’s Events Centre. The $1.1 million donation by the Manships will be for infrastructure improvements to the multi-season ‘oval’, to be named in the memory of Ian Fowler, a former City employee who passed away in 2011.

“I want to express my sincere appreciation to Leslie and Jon Manship for their generous support toward this urban development space in our community,” said Mayor Arnold. “Moncton is fortunate to have many citizens who believe in our city and who want to contribute to enhance our quality of life. We are grateful for the Manships’ pride in Moncton, and for their willingness to step forward and participate in improving the plaza. This space is a game-changer, not only for downtown, but for our city as a whole.”

“We feel very strongly that this new public gathering space will have a positive impact on our community, and we know that this was one of Ian’s dreams. His leadership in our community, and his unfaltering desire to keep aiming higher and better for our city, inspired us to participate in this project. We are truly honoured to do this in his memory, and for our fellow Monctonians,” stated Jon and Leslie Manship.

The late Ian Fowler’s wife Susan Fowler was on-hand for the announcement and was touched by this recognition. “Ian truly loved Moncton. He would be so pleased to see this public gathering place take shape. The girls and I feel that naming this space the ‘Ian Fowler Oval’ is a very fitting tribute to his legacy, and hope that this will be a space to be enjoyed by Monctonians and visitors for many years to come. We want to thank the Manships’ for their thoughtfulness and generosity.”

A public visioning exercise – the Ideas Workshop – was held in December 2015 to help feed the design of the outdoor plaza. It became clear that residents had a grand vision for this space, which included multi-season uses. The Oval will feature a skating rink during winter, and serve as a location for activities during special events and shows throughout the year.

About Ian Fowler
Ian Fowler was the City of Moncton’s General Manager of Economic Development, Tourism & Culture with more than
31 years of service to the City of Moncton. He passed away in 2011.

Highlights of Ian’s career:

Transformed Magnetic Hill into a major concert site which and helped attract significant sporting events including the World Junior Baseball Championships, the World Junior Track and Field Championships and Touchdown Atlantic.
Played a major role in landing several mega concerts like The Rolling Stones, ACDC and U2.
Helped bring the Moncton Miracles professional basketball of the NBL Canada to Moncton.
Played a key role in the construction of Stade Moncton on the Université de Moncton Campus.
Developed Camp Centennial in partnership with the Rotary Club of Moncton.
Was instrumental in establishing Sports Moncton, a group created to attract sport tourism.
Helped establish the Moncton Kiwanis Minor Basketball Association and a was an administrator,
coach and referee.
Was the president of the NB Camping Association and the Canadian Camping Association.
Recognized by the Canadian Sport Tourism Alliance as the Industry Builder of the Year in 2007.
Inducted into Athletics Canada’s Hall of Fame in the Builder Category in 2013.
Inducted into the Moncton Sports Wall of Fame in the Builder Category in 2016.
And for those interested in seeing the live feed of the light display playing across the crown of the events centre - here's the link to the webcam:
http://www.moncton.ca/Visitors/Web_C...own_Centre.htm

And fittingly the Ian Fowler Oval is in the foreground.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 1:33 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

rendering (not much different from before)

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 4:44 AM

Apologies in advance...shot on iPhone.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 11:54 AM

So much nicer than those crappy looking coloured panels that were originally slated for the top part of the building.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
So much nicer than those crappy looking coloured panels that were originally slated for the top part of the building.
I would be interested to see a view from across the river at night.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 5:17 PM

I was looking at the new Moncton Real Time Parking Map and as I clicked on the parking meters I noticed that many meters, particularly on and about Main Street have a two hour time limit. How would it be at all possible for these to be used for an event at the centre if the event was at a time when you were required to "feed the meter"?

http://realtimeparking.ca/

Last edited by flyer99; Dec 13, 2017 at 5:20 PM. Reason: typos

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
$1.1M - a nice contribution from the Manship family!

Glad to see Ian Fowler getting some recognition, but like others have mentioned, it would be nice if the whole plaza was named after him.......
Totally agree. It would have been nicer if it was "Ian Fowler Plaza". But I certainly am happy for any recognition for Ian!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer99 View Post
I was looking at the new Moncton Real Time Parking Map and as I clicked on the parking meters I noticed that many meters, particularly on and about Main Street have a two hour time limit. How would it be at all possible for these to be used for an event at the centre if the event was at a time when you were required to "feed the meter"?

http://realtimeparking.ca/
Most of the metered spots are free after 6 PM weekdays and all day on the weekend and stat holidays. I think that covers the majority of events at the Centre.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 6:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrhardt View Post
Most of the metered spots are free after 6 PM weekdays and all day on the weekend and stat holidays. I think that covers the majority of events at the Centre.
Except that the city is apparently very seriously thinking about instituting paid metered parking in the evenings in the city core too. This is because many of the private lot owners are hesitant to open their lots to events parking because they don't think it would be worth their while if they were competing with "free" on street parking. By making evening on street parking a paid commodity, this would even the playing field........

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 7:22 PM

The Moncton HotSpot Mobile App will eventually be linked to City Parking lots and if everything goes well it will be integrated with private lots who choose to sign on. How and when have yet to be worked out completely but that is the plan hopefully.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSoloCup View Post
The Moncton HotSpot Mobile App will eventually be linked to City Parking lots and if everything goes well it will be integrated with private lots who choose to sign on. How and when have yet to be worked out completely but that is the plan hopefully.
That would be awesome. I don't think they have the mobile app up and running yet (according to a news article). Any idea when this would be?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces