HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 8:48 PM

Georgetown

The Latest Design for the Georgetown West Heating Plant

September 7, 2017
By Nena Perry-Brown
Urban Turf

New rendering for the west facade of the West Heating Plant development, seen from 29th Street. Image courtesy of Urban Turf.

"In May, the Commission of Fine Arts (CFA) offered unanimous support for the conceptual design of the redevelopment of the West Heating Plant in Georgetown, but the commissioners also cited a desire to see a “less literal” and more differentiated reinterpretation of the existing building. Last night, landscape architect Laurie Olin and building architect Sir David Adjaye presented an updated design of the planned building and adjacent public park to ANC 2E...."

http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blo...g_plant1/12975

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 6:05 PM

Eastern Market

Capitol Hill Corner has some photos of the soon-to-open Hine School development, which will have a Trader Joe's.

Trader Joe’s of Capitol Hill Set to Open Friday, September 29 & Inside the Hine Project – A Photo Essay
https://capitolhillcorner.org/2017/0...a-photo-essay/

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 3:48 PM

Southwest DC

This will be a significant improvement. I've been running down 10th Street to Banneker Park, which is mostly desolate and disconnected.

Stairway to The Wharf: Work gets underway on new links between Banneker Park, Maine Avenue\

Washington Business Journal
By Michael Neibauer
Sep 8, 2017

"Crossing Maine Avenue SW — even getting to Maine Avenue — between Benjamin Banneker Park and the waterfront, is no picnic. An informal pathway down the hill from Banneker Overlook doesn't meet federal standards, nor does the existing paved path. There are no curb ramps and the lone crosswalk at Maine and Ninth Street is narrow and poorly marked.

But until recently, there really wasn’t much reason for the general public to make the leap, on foot or on bike...."

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...ay-on-new.html

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 5:00 PM
Ex Houstonian

I was just in DC a week ago, and it was nuts seeing how many cranes are all over the city and all over the Virginia suburbs.

I have a question though as to why Arlington doesn't have taller skyscrapers. I understand that DC doesn't have tall skyscrapers due to some bs law about fire escapes from the late 1800's but does Arlington have this same law? DC needs a good skyline somewhere. I love the density in downtown DC but the most of the buildings built after 1960 are so boring, even the new ones, it makes for a very unpleasant downtown in my opinion.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 5:15 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

^ unfortunately DC's downtown is mostly office, not nearly enough residential around the core. all the new units are going in adjacent to downtown

National airport probably keeps the height limits low in Nova

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I was just in DC a week ago, and it was nuts seeing how many cranes are all over the city and all over the Virginia suburbs.

I have a question though as to why Arlington doesn't have taller skyscrapers. I understand that DC doesn't have tall skyscrapers due to some bs law about fire escapes from the late 1800's but does Arlington have this same law? DC needs a good skyline somewhere. I love the density in downtown DC but the most of the buildings built after 1960 are so boring, even the new ones, it makes for a very unpleasant downtown in my opinion.
Yes-- I agree with you. The Height Act is total BS.

The reason why Rosslyn doesn't have taller buildings is because it is under the flight path for Reagan-National airport and FAA establishes requirements for minimum clearance and hazard obstruction. The two tallest buildings, 1812 North Moore and Central Place needed to get approval from FAA. This is similar to the issue in San Diego, with arriving aircraft at Lindbergh Field.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...122702154.html

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
^ unfortunately DC's downtown is mostly office, not nearly enough residential around the core. all the new units are going in adjacent to downtown

National airport probably keeps the height limits low in Nova
This is changing, however, with more residential being built around NOMA, Gallery Place/Verizon Center, and City Center/Mount Vernon Triangle.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 5:28 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

understood, but it would be great if you had apartments on K street around north farragut or on F street between treasury and the verizon center and not just offices.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 6:08 PM

Southwest DC development

Here are a couple of photos I took Saturday afternoon while at the 202 Arts and Music festival.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 6:32 PM

Tenley

A New Look for the 146-Unit Broadcast on Wisconsin Avenue

September 12, 2017
by Nena Perry-Brown
Urban Turf

New rendering of 4620-4624 Wisconsin Avenue NW looking south. Image courtesy of Urban Turf.

"In advance of a Zoning Commission (ZC) hearing this month, Urban Investment Partners (UIP) has amended the design for a planned unit development (PUD) that would convert Tenleytown office buildings at 4620-4624 Wisconsin Avenue NW (map) into 146 apartments..."

http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blo...n_avenue/12996

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 12:31 AM
BANNED

Here is the "unpleasant" downtown that PhotoLith described.

This is a nice downtown, nicer than most American downtowns with skyscrapers.

Last edited by aquablue; Sep 14, 2017 at 5:37 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 9:17 PM

Southwest DC

I think the changes with the expanded courtyard are a nice improvement.

No Restaurant, But Possibly Condos: The Latest Plans for DC’s Randall School

September 14, 2017
By Nena Perry-Brown
Urban Turf

Image courtesy of Urban Turf.

"Two months ago, UrbanTurf reported on Lowe Enterprises’s plans to apply to make a significant modification to the previously-approved planned-unit development (PUD) to redevelop the site of the historic Randall School in Southwest. Now, that modification has been filed with the Zoning Commission (ZC)."

http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blo...l_school/13005

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Here is the "unpleasant" downtown that PhotoLith described.

This is a nice downtown, nicer than most American downtowns with skyscrapers.
Eh, I can see the point. It's mostly office with limited opportunities for residential growth. Depends on where you end up though - west side is generally more vibrant, while large parts of east side and almost everywhere near the mall are completely sterile.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 6:38 PM

Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard

37 L Street SE to be Demolished; Condos Planned
http://www.jdland.com/dc/index.cfm/4...ondos-Planned/

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 7:43 PM

11th Street Bridge Park

New Images and a Progress Update for DC’s 11th Street Bridge Park

September 19, 2017
by Nena Perry-Brown
Urban Turf

Image courtesy of Urban Turf.

"Nearly three years after the design team was selected, nonprofit Building Bridges Across the River (BBAR) continues moving forward with plans for the 11th Street Bridge Park, which will repurpose the old 11th Street Bridge’s three concrete piers (map) into the city’s first elevated park..."

http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blo...dge_park/13024

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 2:17 PM

The Wharf

The NYT has a good article about the Wharf development along the Southwest waterfront. I am very excited about the completion of the first phase of the Wharf and the events that are planned in October to celebrate the opening of this development. This will significantly increase the vibrancy of Washington's waterfront and bring jobs and tax revenue to DC.

A Decaying Waterfront in Washington Returns to Life

By EUGENE L. MEYER
Sept. 19, 2017
NY Times

Monty Hoffman, chief executive of PN Hoffman, a real estate developer, is leading the revitalization of Washington’s waterfront. Credit Andrew Mangum for The New York Times

"WASHINGTON — A struggling waterfront along the Potomac River will morph into a long-awaited commercial and residential destination known as the Wharf when it opens next month.

It’s a return to life for the area, which was commonly known as “the wharf” for decades before the nation’s first federal urban renewal effort here went awry, erasing a neighborhood and its once-thriving riverside..."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/r...n.html?mcubz=0

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 6:30 PM

Friendship Heights

It is unfortunate that the ridiculous limitations of the Height Act prevent anything similar from being built on the DC side of Friendship Heights, even though this is just a few hundred feet from the DC/Maryland border. This is exactly the type of places where taller 15 - 20 floor buildings should be allowed in DC, locations that are within walking distance of metro and where they would have absolutely zero impact on historic views.

100 New Condos Could Land on Lawn Next to Friendship Heights Office Building

By Bethany Rodgers
Bethesda Magazine
Published: 2017.09.19

A sketch of proposed streetscaping improvements around the office building at 5550 Friendship Blvd. Via RSH Holdings. (Image courtesy of Bethesda Magazine)

"The owners of a Friendship Heights office building are asking for permission to construct an adjacent condo complex of 180 feet, twice the zoned height limit for the property.

The plan calls for putting the roughly 100-unit building on what’s now a grassy area in front of the offices. But by stacking the condos in a 16-floor structure, the developers could reduce the building footprint and save some of the lawn as a community open space, according to project manager Robert Stoddard...."

http://www.bethesdamagazine.com/Beth...fice-Building/

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 12:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCDC View Post
Eh, I can see the point. It's mostly office with limited opportunities for residential growth. Depends on where you end up though - west side is generally more vibrant, while large parts of east side and almost everywhere near the mall are completely sterile.

Not unpleasant at all. I went to downtown "anycity" USA, that was unpleasant. DC has grandeur and sophistication that most US cities lack - most are merely cow towns with tall towers...

Last edited by aquablue; Sep 21, 2017 at 2:25 AM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 12:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
It is unfortunate that the ridiculous limitations of the Height Act prevent anything similar from being built on the DC side of Friendship Heights, even though this is just a few hundred feet from the DC/Maryland border. This is exactly the type of places where taller 15 - 20 floor buildings should be allowed in DC, locations that are within walking distance of metro and where they would have absolutely zero impact on historic views.
Yeah, I agree. I am very familiar with the area and i'd like to more development there, but the wealthy NIMBY would stop it anyway even if there was no height restrictions. Residents there are very against development.

That said, remove those height restrictions for areas away from the National Mall, it is only fair to allow more growth in DC.

Last edited by aquablue; Sep 21, 2017 at 2:19 AM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 6:46 PM

Audi Field

My friend took this photo recently of the construction of the DC United stadium, located at Buzzard Point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations