HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     
Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #281  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 6:03 PM
kpexpress's Avatar
kpexpress kpexpress is offline
In urbansim we trust
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 782
Frank Gehry - Lehi project update

Okay everyone, I was in the office of Brandt Andersen's G Code Ventures yesterday and he showed me an email that he recieved from F. Gehry Partners. It was a rough rendering (to scale) of the new development in Lehi.

The development will have plenty of housing units, NBA Development League arena, 5 star hotel (said to be the tallest building in the state), Lehi City built resevoir (competition ski/wakeboard length and width), another smaller lake with a state-of-the-art wakeboard tow line, two roadway bridges crossing the lake and all that with tons of upscale dining and shopping centers densly huddled on its shores. Tons of housing to go around and all done by the master him self.....Frank Gehry.

I was told that the concept of the lake and surrounding buildings was inspired by southern utah canyons and river gorges (i.e. Lake Powell, etc.) I believe the planning and arrangment of the buildings will remind people of the canyon walls with the lake in the center.

The style that the buildings will take will not be sandstone and red/brown stucco like what you, the reader, are imagining, no it will be very modern and excentric like everything that a Gehry project will have!

Thats all I have for you, I saw the rendering yesterday and it is impressive. The 5 star hotel is nearly on the lake and towers incredibally high with the massive NBA arena connected.

I am stoked for this project and know that it will blow everyones mind when it is unveiled. An shame on all of you who do not like Gehry, would you rather see another Ivory Home development?

F. Gehry will be in town next week for a press announcement at Thanksgiving Pointe. I believe it will be next Friday.

Peace Out!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #282  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 7:07 PM
SmilingBob's Avatar
SmilingBob SmilingBob is offline
100 days to economic ruin
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South of Manilla
Posts: 182
Growth through rentals

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Quote,
Analysis projections show a conservative demand for at least 916 more multi-family rental units in the next 20 years. The state predicts Provo's population will top 136,000 by 2030, up from the current 115,000.

Are they kidding, "An increase of only 21,000 people in the next 23 years??" Is Provo completely built-out now, or is that a miss-print?
Rentals are where the growth is taking place in Provo. 916 units isn't much though. BYU is going to add that many by itself in the next 3-4 years. They are tearing down DT and building, in conjunction with private developers, new housing units.

Wasatch One follows all the developments in Provo & Orem, religiously, so I'm sure he'll correct or add to my list.


But here are few current and future apartment complexes being built:
    • 1400 N. Freedom Blvd.,
    • Two different complexes around Riverside CC,
    • North University Ave. across from Riverwoods,
    • Property near Joaquin Elementary,
    • 100 South 100 West (Wasatch One's favorite),
    • Riverwoods,
    • South Provo by Slate Canyon Rd.
Provo still has room to grow the number of single family homes, especially out west. Provo School District has considered moving Provo High School to the west side and selling the current campus to BYU and IHC. They recently closed two elementary schools near BYU and built one on the west side.

The population of families is moving north, south and west while the downtown/BYU area is being turned into rental housing for students and couples. Provo hasn't done a very good job of controling where and how the growth happens.

I'm concerned that Provo is becoming a WVC or westside of SLC area, run down and older homes converted to rentals, especially from 1300 W. to 500 West. Too many rentals, IMHO, and now a study suggest they focus on adding more rentals?
Years ago Provo tried to encourage growth with more single family homes, but now it looks like it will be back to focusing on rentals. I would like to see more condomiums and owner occupied apartments/townhomes, not rentals.

With the new report from ERA, Provo should focus on building more mixed-use 10-12 story buildings downtown. Bottom level retail and restaurants, 3-5 floors of office space, and 3-6 floors of residential units.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #283  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 7:15 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 15,271


Kpexpress, what are some of the future expansion plans for the Riverwood? Any retail announcements pending,or perhaps more residential. I would really like to see that area to the immediate south developed, you know, "those old duplexes."
Also, don't include me with those that don't appreciate Gehry. His Disney Hall is one of my favorites. However, I don't think that it's unusual to have qualm's over some of his more controversial design elements, such as his project in Prague. I am very excited about this announcement at Thanksgiving Point. Thankyou, for posting the update.
Oh, in a very good-natured response, Ivory's planned community accross from the Traverse Ridge is VERY ATTRACTIVE. And it will undoubtedly do well with both in-state and out-of-state buyers. But, it is a whole different type of beast, built for the typical regional, upscale, conservative buyer. The Gehry project will probably be much more global in its appeal. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what you are talking about. My curiosity is definately peaked.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #284  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 7:43 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 15,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingBob View Post
With the new report from ERA, Provo should focus on building more mixed-use 10-12 story buildings downtown. Bottom level retail and restaurants, 3-5 floors of office space, and 3-6 floors of residential units.
SmilingBob, I can't tell you how much I agree with that downtown prognosis.



Downtown Provo has soooooo much potential. It is already loaded with historic gems, and is in many ways very attractive. Downtown just needs to take the next step forward.There is no question in my mind that many would want a loft/condo downtown if someone would simply take the initiative to build them. Done with an authentic vintage exterior and an interior with all of the updated amenities would be highly successful.

Last edited by delts145; Jan 13, 2007 at 3:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #285  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 7:52 PM
wrendog's Avatar
wrendog wrendog is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpexpress View Post
Okay everyone, I was in the office of Brandt Andersen's G Code Ventures yesterday and he showed me an email that he recieved from F. Gehry Partners. It was a rough rendering (to scale) of the new development in Lehi.

The development will have plenty of housing units, NBA Development League arena, 5 star hotel (said to be the tallest building in the state), Lehi City built resevoir (competition ski/wakeboard length and width), another smaller lake with a state-of-the-art wakeboard tow line, two roadway bridges crossing the lake and all that with tons of upscale dining and shopping centers densly huddled on its shores. Tons of housing to go around and all done by the master him self.....Frank Gehry.

I was told that the concept of the lake and surrounding buildings was inspired by southern utah canyons and river gorges (i.e. Lake Powell, etc.) I believe the planning and arrangment of the buildings will remind people of the canyon walls with the lake in the center.

The style that the buildings will take will not be sandstone and red/brown stucco like what you, the reader, are imagining, no it will be very modern and excentric like everything that a Gehry project will have!

Thats all I have for you, I saw the rendering yesterday and it is impressive. The 5 star hotel is nearly on the lake and towers incredibally high with the massive NBA arena connected.

I am stoked for this project and know that it will blow everyones mind when it is unveiled. An shame on all of you who do not like Gehry, would you rather see another Ivory Home development?

F. Gehry will be in town next week for a press announcement at Thanksgiving Pointe. I believe it will be next Friday.

Peace Out!

what the???? I haven't heard of this.. sorry if it has been discussed here, but I haven't been online much lately.. This is all in LEHI??? A 5 star tall hotel in LEHI??? a basketball arena in LEHI?? help me out here!
__________________
Now is a fantastic time to refinance or buy a house! Rates are lower than ever! If you are in Utah, PM me if you are interested to see how much you can save or afford.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #286  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 1:01 AM
kpexpress's Avatar
kpexpress kpexpress is offline
In urbansim we trust
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post


Kpexpress, what are some of the future expansion plans for the Riverwood? Any retail announcements pending,or perhaps more residential. I would really like to see that area to the immediate south developed, you know, "those old duplexes."
Also, don't include me with those that don't appreciate Gehry. His Disney Hall is one of my favorites. However, I don't think that it's unusual to have qualm's over some of his more controversial design elements, such as his project in Prague. I am very excited about this announcement at Thanksgiving Point. Thankyou, for posting the update.
Oh, in a very good-natured response, Ivory's planned community accross from the Traverse Ridge is VERY ATTRACTIVE. And it will undoubtedly do well with both in-state and out-of-state buyers. But, it is a whole different type of beast, built for the typical regional, upscale, conservative buyer. The Gehry project will probably be much more global in its appeal. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what you are talking about. My curiosity is definately peaked.
Well to my knowledge there are plans to build one hundred more units (similar to the Village) right behind the wynnsong theater and just north of the current Village residential places. The spot of land right in front of me (I face west towards university ave) is zoned for multi purpose, but no larger than 3 stories. I believe in the future there will be a grocery store there.

As for due south of the riverwoods, I have been bugging everyone I know (that could have a pull in what goes up there) to build a few high rise condo's with a sweet skywalk to the riverwoods for a year now. All I hear back is this, "If you can get each one of those residences to sell their property, we will do iit."

Then they put up the NAT signs that say "FOR RENT"

So it seems to me that either some big investor actually bought all those shitty condos and is holding out to rip them down and build something cool, or each resident hired a property management company to rent their places out.

I have dreamed that something profound will go up their, but my guess will be another lame three story office condo like all the other lame ones in the vintage business park.

We will see.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #287  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 1:09 AM
kpexpress's Avatar
kpexpress kpexpress is offline
In urbansim we trust
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
what the???? I haven't heard of this.. sorry if it has been discussed here, but I haven't been online much lately.. This is all in LEHI??? A 5 star tall hotel in LEHI??? a basketball arena in LEHI?? help me out here!
A family friend named Brandt Andersen owns a company called "G CODE VENTURES."

They invest in various projects and do many new real estate development projects (i.e. Sleepy Ridge, ect.)

THey have recently organized a team (The Jazz) that will play in the NBA Development league. THis coming up year they will play at David O'McKay Events Center at UVSU (notice the "U" in the name....hahaha) In the future this team will be playing in a new state of the art arena that will be inside the new develpment that G CODE is planning in Lehi. The development will be master planned and designed by Frank Gehry. The area includes (to my knowledge, will not be surprised if it includes way more) a 5 star hotel that is said to be the tallest building in the state, cheese cake factory and other hip dining currently foriegn to Utah. oh yes, and many many housing units. All this will be huddled nicely next to a 25 acre man-made resevoir (professional ski/wake size) that will be built by the city of Lehi, and another smaller lake that will feature a cable pull system for wake boarding (similar to what they have in Florida.)

Thats what I know, and so far I am impressed. The official news announcement will be next friday at Thanksgiving Pointe. Word from the street is that F. Gehry will be there himself.

Impressive designing, impressive developing and more impressive aspirations for the Wasatch Front.

Can anyone do this ?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #288  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 2:16 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpexpress View Post
A family friend named Brandt Andersen owns a company called "G CODE VENTURES."

Thats what I know, and so far I am impressed. The official news announcement will be next friday at Thanksgiving Pointe. Word from the street is that F. Gehry will be there himself.

Can anyone do this ?





What?


Are you for reals? A 5-star hotel in Lehi to be utah's TALLEST Building? I had to keep going back and re-reading your post just to make sure i'm not just seeing things. Is this some kind of a dream? I'm not a big fan of F. Gehry but this sounds like a kick ass project(s) So next firday huh? I'm going to listen close to the news that day. LOL. Hope this is true.


__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #289  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 2:57 AM
kpexpress's Avatar
kpexpress kpexpress is offline
In urbansim we trust
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
What?


Are you for reals? A 5-star hotel in Lehi to be utah's TALLEST Building? I had to keep going back and re-reading your post just to make sure i'm not just seeing things. Is this some kind of a dream? I'm not a big fan of F. Gehry but this sounds like a kick ass project(s) So next firday huh? I'm going to listen close to the news that day. LOL. Hope this is true.


i WILL BE THERE TO KEEP YOU'ALL UPDATED
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #290  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 4:24 AM
i-215's Avatar
i-215 i-215 is offline
Express Lane
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Inland Empire, Calif.
Posts: 3,138
A tallest in Lehi???

Even if it's true ... I don't WANT it to happen! Downtown SLC has the highway infastructure to handle a downtown.... The Highland/Alpine Exit was originally designed to handle the occasional farmer's F-150.
__________________
Life is nicer at 70 miles per hour
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #291  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 5:31 AM
pdxman's Avatar
pdxman pdxman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,037
A tallest in lehi? That would be odd...its almost bittersweet, a new tallest is great but in lehi??? eh idk
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #292  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 6:25 AM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Taylorsville, UT
Posts: 1,109
I will believe it when I see it being built. We have had to many projects here in Utah never happen and get us all excited to just drop us on the rocks from a tall cliff.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #293  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 7:06 AM
Northernlad Northernlad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SLC
Posts: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
A tallest in Lehi???

Even if it's true ... I don't WANT it to happen! Downtown SLC has the highway infastructure to handle a downtown.... The Highland/Alpine Exit was originally designed to handle the occasional farmer's F-150.

A new tallest in Lehi??? That would look really silly. Downtown needs this in a bad way.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #294  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 7:36 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 15,271
These past few years there have been more major projects along the Wasatch announced and completed, and now experiencing even grander expansions than previously anticipated than I can count. We won't even include the incredible resort's going in and around metro St. George. How many billions upon billions have gone in to new freeways,light rail,business parks,five star hotels, lifestyle centers,regional medical centers,resort expansions, an endless list of planned communities,historical restorations,new recreational facilities,and on and on. I'm coming from one of the largest metro's in the world, "and I am impressed!"

I'm reminded of a recent observation made by Jmonkey,regarding Macy's. Local people were actually showing up at the ZCMI Center unaware that it was closing. He couldn't believe the disconnect people had with what was going on around them in the community. Today I drove from Alpine to 106th so., and then to the Jordon Commons. Every square inch of highway I drove on was either new, newly expanded or currently under expansion. Along the way I must have noticed literally hundred's of new homes under construction, large new commercial projects, a major widening of State Street,new condo communities going up, and several new office complexes under construction. All of this in a short 25 minute commute. If all of this is not enough to generate some hope and positive energy from would be developers, then I just don't get that persons negative psyche.

Is it reasonable to have another ultra luxe resort announce development in an area that is experiencing some of the most astoundingly rapid growth in the nation? The days of seeing only F-150's at the Alpine exit are long gone. You are far more likely to see a Mercedes,Jag,BMW or even a Bentley.
The plan is and always has been for Thanksgiving Point to become a major international destination resort. The Golf Course and Gardens are already among the most acclaimed in the nation. A huge upscale lifestyle center,"The Terrace" will break ground soon next to and around Cabela's, which is already an established presence. Of course, not to mention the thousands of new upscale housing units under construction,many within elaborate planned communities. The views of the Wasatch from that vantage point are jaw-dropping. It makes perfect sense to add a luxe resort hotel in that area.

Last edited by delts145; Jan 13, 2007 at 2:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #295  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 3:38 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
The plan is and always has been for Thanksgiving Point to become a major international destination resort. The Golf Course and Gardens are already among the most acclaimed in the nation. A huge upscale lifestyle center,"The Terrace" will break ground soon next to and around Cabela's, which is already an established presence. Of course, not to mention the thousands of new upscale housing units under construction,many within elaborate planned communities. The views of the Wasatch from that vantage point are jaw-dropping. It makes perfect sense to add a luxe resort hotel in that area.


A new tallest in Lehi?.......................why not. Delts make alot of good points with all the new housing and retail poping up in that area. With Thanksgiving point and Cabela's and soon to be Terrace Lehi will soon if not already a destination point.

These past few years we have been starting to see and hear about other citys along the I-15 that a building or planning to built Mid to high-rises towers. In 1999 Sandy built it's 10-story office tower at Jordan Commons making it the city's tallest. 2003 Murray city brokeground on the 15-story building that is part of the IHC campus. Also Murray has three more towers planned for that area......18-15 and 12-story office towers to give Murray city it's own skyline. South Salt lake is planning on building a mix use development project on 2100 south and state street with a few towers that could be as tall as 11-stories. Then there's P.G. just the other day we got word that the new Embassy Hotel will be 14-stories and the Courtyard Marriott will be 10-stories. So i ask again, why not Lehi. LOL.

Within the next 10 years as we drive down the I-15 from provo to salt lake or the other way around we will see several little skylines along the way.

__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #296  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 4:14 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 15,271
Something else we should watch for in Utah Valley over the next ten years is major development around and as a result of Utah Lake. Developers have long stated that when the population base warrants that lake will become a resource valued in the multiple billions. There are no other western inland (away from the coastal states) lakes of a comparable size smack-dab in the middle of a major metro.

Looking east from the Lehi Quandrant of Utah Valley toward Mt. Nebo. Developers have long promised that the time will come when large portions of Utah Lake will be dredged. Over the past 130 years a large amount of silt has been deposited in to the lake because of poor environmental practices. A lot has been done already in cleaning up the lake and restablishing its habitat. However, the cost for a lake- wide dredge of as much as eighty feet of silt is enormous. But the ongoing population boom is now making it feasible in the foreseeable future.


Looking across the southern portion of Utah Lake toward the west face of Timp.

Last edited by delts145; Jan 13, 2007 at 11:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #297  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 4:37 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,092
The Gehry project sounds exciting, both architecturally and height-wise. My hope is that if it IS a new tallest, that it's throwing down the gauntlet to SLC developers to get off their collective asses and build a new Even Taller Tallest.

Say, a World Trade Center? Or just some friggin commercial space!
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #298  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 5:47 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 15,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
The Gehry project sounds exciting, both architecturally and height-wise. My hope is that if it IS a new tallest, that it's throwing down the gauntlet to SLC developers to get off their collective asses and build a new Even Taller Tallest.

Say, a World Trade Center? Or just some friggin commercial space!
RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #299  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 12:54 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post


Looking across the southern portion of Utah Lake toward the west face of Timp.

Very nice pics there delts of utah valley and utah lake.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #300  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 2:29 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 15,271
SLC, I would have to agree with WasatchOne, that the Wasatch metro is one of the most picturesque metropolitan urbanscapes in the World. Many locals don't realize that in addition to the beautiful views of the Wasatch you also have some incredible views of the Oquirrh's from Northern Utah Valley.

Looking Northeast from the new city of Eagle Mtn toward Alpine


The Oquirrh's take on a much more majestic and picturesque beauty from southern metro locations such as Lehi,Highland,Alpine,Eagle Mountain, etc. Looking West from Eagle Mountain.



Looking Southeast from Eagle Mountain

Last edited by delts145; Jan 15, 2007 at 12:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:25 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.