HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Hmm, more related to the IKEA development...

The official document for IKEA suggests that 2 or 3 American retailers, new to the Winnipeg Market, may accompany IKEA on the surounding development, with their stores being similar "regional shopping megastores" akin to an IKEA (i.e. the only one in the province). They go on to suggest in the document that the IKEA development could become a tourist-shopping destination.

Ok fine. We can debate whether any of that will happen or not... I'm just curious about which American retailers may be looking to have a megastore near IKEA. Any rumours or speculation of which ones might join IKEA?
Perhaps Target would be one? I don't really have a clue, since my guess would be wal-mart and target are next to perfect substitutes when it comes to retail giants, and Winnipeg has plenty of wal-marts, superstores, a few zellers, and a few "The Bay"'s. But hey, I'm not expert so I don't really know any major differences between Target and Wal-Mart? Then again, target said back at the begining of this year that they only plan on expanding into Canada in 3 years at the very least.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 4:26 AM
I am a typical

Target is different from Walmart in that it has a lot of zealous fanboys who will troll a thread about how much better Target is than Walmart or Zellers until moderation bans them, while Walmart doesn't have that.

If you compare Target to Zellers they get especially riled up. I last went to a Target in 2003, and I thought it was exactly like a Zellers. Everything down to the colour scheme they used on their store layout maps (and the store layouts were also identical).

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
I'm just curious about which American retailers may be looking to have a megastore near IKEA. Any rumours or speculation of which ones might join IKEA?
I would guess Lowe's. There are a whack of them in Ontario, and one just opened in Calgary.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFS View Post
I would guess Lowe's. There are a whack of them in Ontario, and one just opened in Calgary.
Guessing the same, even Regina is getting one.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 9:32 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Target is different from Walmart in that it has a lot of zealous fanboys who will troll a thread about how much better Target is than Walmart or Zellers until moderation bans them, while Walmart doesn't have that.

If you compare Target to Zellers they get especially riled up. I last went to a Target in 2003, and I thought it was exactly like a Zellers. Everything down to the colour scheme they used on their store layout maps (and the store layouts were also identical).
I have to agree, I don't get the magic of Target.

I checked out the one in Grand Forks in late August and thought it was pretty much the same as Zellers, K-Mart, The old Woolco, and Wal-Mart.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 10:48 PM

i love target - hard to explain why - john derrian collection alone

maybe Kohls? they have expressed interest in expaning into Canada - sort of a mini department store

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 10:53 PM

What about Gordmans? Or (save big money at) Menards lol...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycles View Post
any updates on this? say, cancelled?
isn't it only opening in 2014 or something like that?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
isn't it only opening in 2014 or something like that?
I remember they had built a huge IKEA in Moscow for 1-2 years back in 2008. And it happened in the absolutely corrupted country, Russia, and IKEA never bribes, they said. Why? I mean why doesn't they hurry up in Winnipeg?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 5:17 PM
Armchair urbanist

1ajs, I believe someone has challenged you to a 'WTF did he say?" contest. I think your grammar/spelling gives you the win though.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 5:22 PM
What could go wrong?

I was by the site yesterday and noticed that the other half of the site - north of IKEA has been almost completely cleared of the former Inter-modal Business that was formerly there. The existing two buildings are in the final stages of demolition. One building is just a steel frame.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 6:06 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vip77 View Post
I remember they had built a huge IKEA in Moscow for 1-2 years back in 2008. And it happened in the absolutely corrupted country, Russia, and IKEA never bribes, they said. Why? I mean why doesn't they hurry up in Winnipeg?
So ...uh .... um .... 1ajs , could you translate this please ?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 7:45 PM
What could go wrong?

They should start tendering it in summer 2011.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 17, 2010, 12:31 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
1ajs, I believe someone has challenged you to a 'WTF did he say?" contest. I think your grammar/spelling gives you the win though.
what post u referring to?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2010, 12:35 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by vip77 View Post
o i see now ok lol ironic no?
"how is it that in a corupt country like russia where they didn't even bribe anyone. that ikea was built faster then here in winnipeg? "

my answer is its not the government its the developer and ikea had to be brought kicking and screaming into our market

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
my answer is its not the government its the developer and ikea had to be brought kicking and screaming into our market
Huh? Seriously? Why would any company enter a market "kicking and screaming"?

You suppose Ikea is doing someone a favour by investing millions and millions to open a location in Winnipeg?

Can't see the logic in that train of thought...

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 6:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
o i see now ok lol ironic no?
"how is it that in a corupt country like russia where they didn't even bribe anyone. that ikea was built faster then here in winnipeg? "

IKEA was hardly brought into this market "kicking and screaming". They came here out of demand from the Winnipeg/Manitoba market.

I understand that you have a great disdain for big box developments, but you should realize that this one in particular will benefit Winnipeg in helping make it a shopping hub for a large regional catch basin encompassing several provinces and states.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 9:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old man View Post
Huh? Seriously? Why would any company enter a market "kicking and screaming"?

You suppose Ikea is doing someone a favour by investing millions and millions to open a location in Winnipeg?

Can't see the logic in that train of thought...
If anything the city has bent over backwards (and forward) for IKEA, the city is spending millions upgrading roadways around the IKEA site granted they will re-coup some of them through taxation. The owner of IKEA didn't become the eleventh wealthiest person in the world because the company is a philanthropic organization.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
If anything the city has bent over backwards (and forward) for IKEA, the city is spending millions upgrading roadways around the IKEA site granted they will re-coup some of them through taxation. The owner of IKEA didn't become the eleventh wealthiest person in the world because the company is a philanthropic organization.
We have a winner!

...it still baffles me that some people can blissfully disregard financial reality when discussing a topic.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 4:50 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
I understand that you have a great disdain for big box developments, but you should realize that this one in particular will benefit Winnipeg in helping make it a shopping hub for a large regional catch basin encompassing several provinces and states.
Winnipeg is already shopping hub for a large region, this development just brings in more choice and adds another attraction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan