HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 9:46 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
How, exactly, is 4:1 FAR "incompatible" with the Alphabet Historic District? There are many historic buildings that are contributing to the district, and are built to more than 2:1 FAR. A number of buildings, including the Tudor Arms (itself individually listed on the National Register), are built to more than 4:1.

Northwest Portland isn't Irvington or Eastmoreland.
The Tudor Arms is not typical of the scale of contributing buildings in the Historic Alphabet District. There are mostly two-story wood-framed houses and 3-story masonry apartment buildings. Furthermore, RH zoning with FAR 4:1 has a max height of 75 ft. while RH-FAR 2:1 has a max height of 65 ft. The 10-foot difference matters. It is a modest restriction that will finally bring the historic district zoning into compliance with design guidelines.

In addition, on P. 120 of the Misc. Zoning Amendments, of which this issue is a part, the code provisions requiring No Net Loss of Housing and a Housing Pool have been deleted due to the surplus of residential zoning capacity in the City. That negates the argument that the Historic Alphabet District should be required to maintain the greater FAR in order to meet City housing goals.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 12:27 AM

Here is the physical description of the Alphabet Historic District, from the nomination form (emphasis mine):

Quote:
The Historic Alphabet District is an approximately 50 block area in Portland, Oregon. It is an irregularly shaped district. The district is roughly bounded by NW Lovejoy Street to the north, with a northern extension to NW Marshall Street; by NW 17th Avenue to the east; by W. Burnside Street to the south; and by NW 24th Avenue to the west. The district is located in Township 1 North, Range 1 East, Section 33, in Multnomah County. There are 156.93 acres within the district. The majority of buildings within the district are residential properties, though there are some used commercially or industrially. The period of significance begins in 1880, the earliest date of the oldest resources within the district. The period of significance ends in 1940 with the beginning of World War II. Within the period of significance, there are two development periods, 1880 — 1905 and 1906 — 1940. There are 215 buildings dating from the primary development period (1880 - 1905), 263 buildings dating from the secondary period (1906 - 1940), 37 historic noncontributing buildings, 53 compatible noncontributing buildings, 67 noncompatible noncontributing buildings, and 54 vacant lots. The district is significant under Criterion A for its historic associations, Criterion B for its association with significant persons, and Criterion C for its architectural merit. Indeed, the Historic Alphabet District is unique in Portland for its concentration of early twentieth century multi-family structures—many of which were designed and constructed by the city's premier architects and developers. The majority of contributing buildings within the district are eligible under Criteria A, though there are also a number of properties eligible under Criteria B or C. The latter are so noted within the document.
To claim that the district is "mostly two-story wood-framed houses and 3-story masonry apartment buildings" is to ignore one of the major typologies found in the district, that is a major part of the reason it is listed on the National Register. It's not just the Tudor Arms. It's the Wickersham. It's the Highland Court Apartments. It's the Embassy. It's the Belle Court Apartments. It's the American Apartment Building. I could go on and on.

2:1 FAR is suburban zoning, which should have no place in one of Portland's densest neighborhoods. Thankfully staff nixed the NWDA's suggestion south of Glisan, where most of the develop-able parcels are (ie around St Mary's). Still, that deprives existing property owners of the ability to trade away FAR from historic structures, which was meant to be a big part of the Comp Plan related zoning changes.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Here is the physical description of the Alphabet Historic District, from the nomination form (emphasis mine):

To claim that the district is "mostly two-story wood-framed houses and 3-story masonry apartment buildings" is to ignore one of the major typologies found in the district, that is a major part of the reason it is listed on the National Register. It's not just the Tudor Arms. It's the Wickersham. It's the Highland Court Apartments. It's the Embassy. It's the Belle Court Apartments. It's the American Apartment Building. I could go on and on.

2:1 FAR is suburban zoning, which should have no place in one of Portland's densest neighborhoods. Thankfully staff nixed the NWDA's suggestion south of Glisan, where most of the develop-able parcels are (ie around St Mary's). Still, that deprives existing property owners of the ability to trade away FAR from historic structures, which was meant to be a big part of the Comp Plan related zoning changes.
I stand by my previous statement about the scale of most contributing buildings in the Alphabet District. Tudor Arms, Wickersham, and The American are not typical of the Alphabet District.

The base zoning is not in sync with the historic district design guidelines which take precedence over base zoning, so the City is being urged to bring it into compliance. The Landmarks Commission defers to the historic guidelines, not the base zoning.

And be serious. Suburban residential zoning is .25:1, if that!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 3:16 AM

The historic buildings I mentioned are not compatible with the historic district. Got it.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 3:30 AM

Quote:
The historic buildings I mentioned are not compatible with the historic district. Got it.
Don't be simplistic, please. We are discussing a predominant scale that is compatible with most buildings in the Alphabet District. A reasonable example of that is the 4-story brick mixed-use building under construction at NW 21st & Irving, replacing The Gypsy.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 3:48 AM

That project, which the Historic Landmarks Commission had no trouble approving, comes in at an FAR of 2.96:1...

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 3:51 AM

This whole thing smells like East Moreland....

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 4:27 AM

Quote:
That project, which the Historic Landmarks Commission had no trouble approving, comes in at an FAR of 2.96:1...
.......and considerably under FAR 4:1 with a height bonus such as the regrettable Park 19, east of Couch Park. It acquired FAR from the historic William Temple House.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 4:37 AM

Park19 is almost 5:1. You're shifting the goalposts. We're talking about a downzoning so severe that it would make many historic buildings—that are contributing to the district or even individually listed—non-conforming with the new zoning code.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Park19 is almost 5:1. You're shifting the goalposts. We're talking about a downzoning so severe that it would make many historic buildings—that are contributing to the district or even individually listed—non-conforming with the new zoning code.
Nope. Just pointing out what happens with FAR bonuses.....and that is, Park 19's FAR 4:1 grew to 5:1. Presumably the Gypsy's site is FAR 2:1, being west of 21st, and it will be coming in at close to 3:1. See a pattern here?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 6:33 AM

No, I don't see a pattern. The project at 21st and Irving is mostly located in a CS zone, which allows for 3:1 FAR. (A small part of the building is located in the RH Zone, and required an FAR transfer of 7,800 sq ft from the adjacent single family houses; representing a giant 0.34:1). If you think that a 4 story building on NW 21st Avenue represents over development of a site then I guess we just fundamentally disagree.

Put another way, I live in Northwest and it. I love the eclectic mix of buildings. It includes cute little Victorian houses and five story brick buildings. It has busy shopping streets and quieter residential streets. It's home to some of the wealthiest people in Portland and to some of the poorest people.

To reiterate my earlier point, many many buildings in the historic district, that were built during the period of significance, are well above 2:1. A fair few are above 4:1. Trying to get the neighborhood downzoned has nothing to do with protecting the historic character of the neighborhood, and everything to do with trying to block development. I'm glad that the effort seems to have failed, and that the sites mostly likely to develop south of Glisan will be unaffected.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 6:51 AM
A before E

Quote:
No, I don't see a pattern. The project at 21st and Irving is mostly located in a CS zone, which allows for 3:1 FAR. (A small part of the building is located in the RH Zone, and required an FAR transfer of 7,800 sq ft from the adjacent single family houses; representing a giant 0.34:1). If you think that a 4 story building on NW 21st Avenue represents over development of a site then I guess we just fundamentally disagree.

Put another way, I live in Northwest and it. I love the eclectic mix of buildings. It includes cute little Victorian houses and five story brick buildings. It has busy shopping streets and quieter residential streets. It's home to some of the wealthiest people in Portland and to some of the poorest people.

To reiterate my earlier point, many many buildings in the historic district, that were built during the period of significance, are well above 2:1. A fair few are above 4:1. Trying to get the neighborhood downzoned has nothing to do with protecting the historic character of the neighborhood, and everything to do with trying to block development. I'm glad that the effort seems to have failed, and that the sites mostly likely to develop south of Glisan will be unaffected.
I agree with you on this, 4:1 FAR seems very good for that area, or even a 3:1 with possibilities for a bonus. Much of the old homes in Northwest are owned by either wealthy people or people who bought in that neighborhood decades ago. Much of those old beautiful homes aren't going anywhere, so it makes no sense to try to limit the development of potential sites just for the sake of stopping development.

Personally it is sad to see the Gypsy gone, that was kind of a staple to that area....though I couldn't tell you the last time I was in there because that part of my life doesn't exist anymore. It is just sad to see familiar areas change so much that they no longer feel familiar....but that is more of a personal issue rather than a city development issue.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
I stand by my previous statement about the scale of most contributing buildings in the Alphabet District. Tudor Arms, Wickersham, and The American are not typical of the Alphabet District.
This statement doesn’t pass the gross reality check. Not only do those buildings represent the neighborhood well, but, conversely, if I was shown a picture of the building itself and had to guess which neighborhood it would be located in, I would guess the Alphabet District. There is no other neighborhood in Portland in which such buildings are so common. In that sense, they are actually more definitive of the Alphabet District than the 100-year old two-story wood houses, which can be found in any Portland neighborhood.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
This statement doesn’t pass the gross reality check. Not only do those buildings represent the neighborhood well, but, conversely, if I was shown a picture of the building itself and had to guess which neighborhood it would be located in, I would guess the Alphabet District. There is no other neighborhood in Portland in which such buildings are so common. In that sense, they are actually more definitive of the Alphabet District than the 100-year old two-story wood houses, which can be found in any Portland neighborhood.
word.

FYI: there is an article out there somewhere in the interwebs that speaks to the unique character of NW Portland/Alphabet District and how the jumble of coexisting uses and types of structures is impossible to achieve with our current zoning requirements. I believe it was written by Rick Potestio. I will see if I can find it.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 6:14 PM

Quote:

It remains to be seen whether the Alphabet District FAR will be corrected. City Council will continue to take testimony on Oct. 13.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 7:43 PM

They are still taking testimony, yes, but I think the chance the NWDA gets the Council to downzone the area south of Glisan is low. There's an equal or greater chance that the Council overturns the PSC recommends and retains the current FAR allowances north of Glisan.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 5:45 AM

Notice of a Public Hearing for 905 NW 17th Ave

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 12:48 AM

Memo to the Landmarks Commission for 404 NW 23rd Ave.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 5:41 AM

A building permit was issued to FFA Architecture + Interiors for a 21 Astor at 921 NW 21st Ave:

Quote:
New 4 story mixed use building, (2) ground floor retail spaces and (31) parking spaces, 27 apartment units on floors 2-4.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 6:22 PM

No fatalities, thankfully / amazingly. The Burkhardt, Wilfred & Gustav building is completely destroyed. Looks like major damage to the Ann Sacks house.

Quote:
Explosion reported in NW Portland; 5 injured, including 3 firefighters

A massive explosion, apparently ignited by a natural gas leak, ripped through a building Wednesday along the popular Northwest 23rd Avenue shopping district, causing destruction and injuring five people, including three firefighters, authorities said.

Initial reports indicate no fatalities.

NW Natural employees along with Portland firefighters had responded to a natural gas leak reported at 8:55 a.m. at 510 N.W. 23rd Ave., said spokeswoman Melissa Moore. "When we got there (at 9:10 a.m.) we evacuated the building," Moore said. "There was an ignition. We don't know the source."
...continues at the Oregonian.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland