HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 8:25 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Thats going to be one dramatic observation deck. Best views in the city when finished. And... right next to the future supertall cluster f**k that is 57th street.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 11:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
That would be fantastic, but that would definitely block One Vandy's Northern views from the planned observation deck!
That would be fine with me!

TD Bank opens on Park on July 25th!

Only in NY, lads!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 12:16 PM

In midtown east, a taller tower will mean better transit

Joe Anuta
July 7, 2015

Quote:
The model is already being tested: SL Green Realty agreed to conduct over $200 million in upgrades to Grand Central Station in exchange for a special permit to construct the 1,400-foot-tall office tower 1 Vanderbilt adjacent to the landmarked terminal.

Developers would also be able to purchase unused development rights—think of a low-rise church that was built in an area zoned for skyscrapers—from landmarked buildings anywhere in the district. In this case, the city will set a minimum price and then take a cut of the transaction. The city will put that cash in a fund controlled by the mayor and neighborhood stakeholders to be used for streetscape improvements. The money raised for the fund could turn out to be worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Full Article

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 2:56 AM
Mr. Technology

Excellent idea!!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 9:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
"I want to be taller!!!", "I want to be taller!!!" says 1 Vanderbilt.

That isn't going to happen. The next best thing is to make it shorter. Especially the top most protrusion that looks like a stubby partially amputated finger. Tear that thing off and at least it won't be ugly anymore. Boring yes, but not ugly. I'd rather have boring. I'm still hoping against hope that some potential tenant comes in and scraps this design. please please please...

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 5:45 PM
DENNAB

I think the height is perfect how it is honestly. It would lose a lot of kick if it were shorter but taller, it doesn't necessarily need to be although that would obviously be nice

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 10:03 PM

Last edited by Cynicism; Aug 10, 2020 at 10:26 PM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 12:49 PM

You're username is incredibly accurate.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicism View Post
Because 1 additional train will solve overcrowding and fix those nasty stations in Midtown East.
I'm not sure the argument is that improvements at a single station or the addition of one additional train per hour will solve or fix anything. I think the argument is that this is a step in the right direction and will improve the situation from where it was.

If the line has one train every five minutes, that is 12 trains per hour. The addition of one more train per hour means 13 trains per hour, which is an additional hourly capacity of 8.3%. An 8.3% improvement on ANY of our train lines is a good thing, especially if the bulk of the cost comes from private development. Imagine if the MTA said they were going to REDUCE the service by one train per hour. All hell would break loose. How is the opposite not a good thing?

The idea here is that improvements paid for and (primarily) constructed by private development can indeed improve a system by a few percent on a single line. If that is true, then using this model 20 more times can improve the system by a few percent on 20 different lines. That is good news for an overburdened system for which it seems taxpayers and riders have to pay billions of dollars for improvements of just a few percent.

To be sure, we have to wait and see if the developers live up to their end of the bargain and do a competent job of providing what they've promised. And then the MTA has live up to its promise to increase service by one train per hour on this line. Humanity has a way of messing up a good plan in its implementation of it. But I think its a sensible proposal. We shall see in five or six years how it turns out.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 2:30 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheburg View Post
I'm not sure the argument is that improvements at a single station or the addition of one additional train per hour will solve or fix anything. I think the argument is that this is a step in the right direction and will improve the situation from where it was.

If the line has one train every five minutes, that is 12 trains per hour. The addition of one more train per hour means 13 trains per hour, which is an additional hourly capacity of 8.3%. An 8.3% improvement on ANY of our train lines is a good thing, especially if the bulk of the cost comes from private development. Imagine if the MTA said they were going to REDUCE the service by one train per hour. All hell would break loose. How is the opposite not a good thing?

The idea here is that improvements paid for and (primarily) constructed by private development can indeed improve a system by a few percent on a single line. If that is true, then using this model 20 more times can improve the system by a few percent on 20 different lines. That is good news for an overburdened system for which it seems taxpayers and riders have to pay billions of dollars for improvements of just a few percent.

To be sure, we have to wait and see if the developers live up to their end of the bargain and do a competent job of providing what they've promised. And then the MTA has live up to its promise to increase service by one train per hour on this line. Humanity has a way of messing up a good plan in its implementation of it. But I think its a sensible proposal. We shall see in five or six years how it turns out.
I think we'll have to keep an eye out to watch for the developer trying to shift some costs onto the MTA...I'm certain there are some provisions in the agreement that preclude this, but you never know.

That's been my greatest concern. Then again, we've seen - over in Hudson Yards - that this kind of arrangement can work in the city...

It'll be very interesting to see if the city uses transit improvements as incentives to developers in the future (maybe substantially increasing FAR or offering tax incentives could work?).

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 2:38 PM
N40° 46.8925', W073° 57.3

I'd like the city to do this for taller towers rising around Hudson Blvd North around 42nd street to get that no 7 train station built @ 42nd.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 2:43 PM
BANNED

They've erected the demo netting for the building on 43rd that housed Annie Moore's!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 4:36 AM

All tenants of 5 buildings to be demolished has left except for TD Bank which according to JR will move out before July 25th.

I will miss this white building. I wish they could preserve the facade.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 4:38 AM
Mr. Technology

One Vanderbilt Place

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 7:49 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 12:52 PM
New Yorker for life

Some opinions on what this could or should mean for Midtown east...

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/newr...te=1&p=7097080

Can One Vanderbilt be a Midtown East catalyst?
Rezoning could spark new era of office construction near Grand Central

July 01, 2015
By Ariel Stulberg

Manhattan office vacancies are low and prices keep rising. But while the fast-growing technology and media sectors colonize Midtown South, and new construction at the World Trade Center and Hudson Yards draws major corporations to Downtown and Midtown West, one traditional office center is lagging.

Midtown East, with its aging office buildings and infrastructure weaknesses, has seen little new development and few marquee tenants signing high-profile leases recently.

The Real Deal spoke to developers and brokers knee deep in the Midtown East market to suss out whether the new tack represents a path forward for the neighborhood, or a marginal one-off that won’t address larger issues.

Quote:
William Montana
Senior Managing Director, Savills Studley

What impact do you think SL Green’s tower will have on the surrounding area? What other development are you expecting in that five-block area?

The new tower will bring much needed modern office space to an area that has very old, outdated building stock. Larger companies, in particular, require large floors, efficient space and “green” space with light and air. The new tower will also add a shot of vibrancy to a stodgy, older area. With regard to other sites in the five-block area, the Milstein property at 335 Madison Avenue is a prime candidate to be redeveloped.

...Do you think any rezoning should allow for residential development?

This is not the place for residential development. This is a commercial area and needs to be preserved for that use. Grand Central is one of the main transportation hubs and it’s essential that modern office space be located near that hub, so that commuters can easily get to and from work. Residential development does not need to be so close to a transit hub.

Quote:
Eric Anton
Senior Managing Director, HFF

What impact do you think SL Green’s tower will have on the surrounding area? What other development are you expecting in that five-block area?

I think it’ll have a very big impact. I’ve spent 95 percent of my career within a two-block radius of Grand Central. I love Grand Central. But clearly, we need to upgrade the office space and the transportation access points need refurbishment. I think it will have a great impact in attracting more of the [financial, insurance and real estate] industry and hopefully, the TAMI industries too. There are two development sites that I know of. Both are confidential and in the site assemblage mode.

What do you think of de Blasio’s approach to rezoning and his timeline?

I think it is reasonable to request from the private development community a bigger payment for the additional air rights. That being said, we shouldn’t make it too onerous or too complicated. Even though we’re in a boom time, planners need to make sure the process is streamlined. Otherwise, we’ll delay and delay and delay, and may be out of the boom time before anybody can build something.

Do you think any rezoning should allow for residential development?

The current zoning allows for residential. If one wanted to build an apartment building right in the center of the Grand Central district, you could do that. I would like to see more residential, though the primary function of Midtown and Grand Central is office. I don’t see it as a future family-type neighborhood. But pied-á-terres and very high-end, luxury small apartments … would be an excellent compliment to Midtown’s 24/7 nature.

Quote:
Seth Pinsky
Executive Vice President, RXR Realty

What do you think should be done zoning-wise with Midtown East?

The administration and City Council should move as quickly as they can to clarify the direction in which they intend to proceed with respect to zoning. Additionally, to the extent that they propose changes (which I believe to be necessary to ensure continued investment in the area), the administration and Council should focus on how to keep this area, first and foremost, a commercial district, generating the jobs, economic activity and tax revenue that are so critical to the continued prosperity of our city.

Do you think any rezoning should allow for residential development?

While creating more housing in the city is, appropriately, a priority for the de Blasio administration, it should not be its only priority. It is becoming increasingly difficult for businesses in the city (especially small businesses) to find reasonably priced real estate. In the long run, the squeeze on businesses and the jobs that go with them will have as pernicious an impact on the ability of New Yorkers to afford to live in the city as the rising cost of housing. We, therefore, must focus — especially around our most important transit nodes — on preserving and expanding the overall supply of commercial space.

Do you think there’s tenant demand for more new Class A offices in Midtown East given all of the new and planned office space at the World Trade Center, Hudson Yards and Manhattan West?

New York City contains approximately 400 million square feet of office space. This total has not changed meaningfully in many years, due to residential conversions and the horrible events of 9/11. The projects Downtown and on the West Side only begin to make up for the dearth of modern supply that has come to market in recent years. Because of its incredible transit accessibility, regardless of what happens elsewhere in the city, there will always be interest in Midtown East, provided that there is modern office space in the area to accommodate demand.

Quote:
A. Mitti Liebersohn
Principal and President, Avison Young New York office

Do you think the “Vanderbilt Corridor” carve out for SL Green was justified and do you think developers at other nearby sites could make the case for getting on that same fast track?

The carve out is in line with prior plans for the area, and given that it delivers first-class office space to an area that has demand, the rezoning was appropriate. The only remaining “corridor” sites that would seem to have real “fast track” potential are located on the block between 44th and 45th Streets, where the MTA already controls half the block, and, to a lesser extent, the Roosevelt Hotel.

How many development sites do you think exist in the Midtown East district? How many new office towers would you like to see in the next 10 years?

There are approximately 18 potential development sites that have been identified. Given that most of those are buildings encumbered with commercial tenant leases, it will take close to 10 years just to gain occupancy of a typical site and to commence a project, unless significant buyouts occur.

Quote:
Dana L. Moskowitz
President, EVO group

What impact do you think SL Green’s tower will have on the surrounding area?

The new tower will definitely have a significant visual impact on the Vanderbilt Corridor, and will enhance people’s perception of the area. A successful leasing campaign of the SL Green tower with rents near and above the triple digits will spur additional development opportunities.

What do you think should be done zoning-wise with Midtown East in general and why? Are you concerned that not rezoning it, or doing it in pieces, could hold up development?

Zoning changes must allow for larger buildings to accommodate today’s tenancies. Doing it in pieces could work, as long as there is continuity. Not making any changes would definitely be to the detriment of the area.

Quote:
Chris Helgesen
Executive Vice President and Managing Director, DTZ

How many development sites do you think exist in the Midtown East district? How many new office towers would you like to see in the area?

The current main development sites in the Midtown East district are at varying stages. At 390 Madison Avenue, there is a $240 million construction project underway, which is an as-of-right development to add 8-10 stories at the top of the building and increase the ceiling heights. There are other potential development projects at 425 Park Avenue, the Solow site on the East River between 36th and 41st Streets and the Roosevelt Hotel site on Madison Avenue between 45th and 46th Streets. Clearly, a rezoning will add additional projects to the pipeline, and I would like to see as many new office towers in this area as the market bears.

Do you think there’s tenant demand for more new Class A offices in Midtown East given all of the new and planned office space at the World Trade Center, Hudson Yards and Manhattan West?

There is always demand for new Class A office space. Our research predicts that evolving market fundamentals in the near term will see supply diminish across Manhattan, despite new construction. Demand will be slightly greater year-to-year as an effect of job growth, and rents will therefore increase. This may justify the decisions to move to new or re-constructed office product. WTC, Hudson Yards and Manhattan West suffer from transportation issues. They’ve been resolved in part, but travel distance cannot be eliminated. Midtown East is convenient because it’s central, and will be improved with the Second Avenue subway line.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 11:27 PM
Mr. Technology

One phenomena I have always wondered is why do big corporations flock to New York versus having a lowrise campus like Apple is building in Cupertino?

I believe it's the energy of the city, the image and prestige as well as having magnificent views from the corner offices for the top execs.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 11:42 PM

^^^They're also offered tax breaks for relocating to new york

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 11:48 PM
Mr. Technology

It's the views!

Not to mention being so close to Grand Central!

Bonus: An Apple store in walking distance!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 1:04 AM
N40° 46.8925', W073° 57.3

I'm interested with this quote from above article:
Quote:

Eric Anton
Senior Managing Director, HFF

I think it’ll have a very big impact. I’ve spent 95 percent of my career within a two-block radius of Grand Central. I love Grand Central. But clearly, we need to upgrade the office space and the transportation access points need refurbishment. I think it will have a great impact in attracting more of the [financial, insurance and real estate] industry and hopefully, the TAMI industries too. There are two development sites that I know of. Both are confidential and in the site assemblage mode.
Hmmm.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive