HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 1:55 AM
Needs more coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
Interesting. Look at what's parked in the lots of Hamilton Housing properties, sometimes you'd be surprised.
The cars that go in and out of that Spallaci project point to some seriously misused (and likely misgained) funds.

And then there's the cars involved in all that exciting "non taxed" business that goes on in the Canadian Tire parking lot by my house.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 3:38 AM

So is this Spallaci project fully rented out now? I've been out of town for seven weeks and before that whenever I walked by it seemed like a ghost town, both for cars and people going in the building.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emge View Post
The cars that go in and out of that Spallaci project point to some seriously misused (and likely misgained) funds.

And then there's the cars involved in all that exciting "non taxed" business that goes on in the Canadian Tire parking lot by my house.
The people with the nice cars in housing projects can be middle class residents. I actually asked the housing authority in Toronto about this on a tour our school took through Regent Park. They said that someone who was low income but then gets a good job, is still allowed to stay in the housing project. They just have to pay market rate or a rate based on their income. Many people opt to stay due to the good locations of many of these projects.
Other nice cars are from drug dealers.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 12:32 PM

off topic

I used to work nights in the housing sites in Toronto and it was not a safe environment with the gangs and quasi-criminals. You had exactly as mike said people who remained due to location (Jack Layton and Olivia Chow) who could afford better but market value was cheaper than real value.
I saw many very nice cars and hang arounds, a fair amount of bulges in waist bands and inside coats too. one issue is a person who qualifies will get an apartment or unit, if they have someone move in they are supposed to declare it (not done very often unless they get caught) and the total income is assessed and recalibrate the rental amount. One of ways they used to get caught is when they tried to park the two cars there.
Transit is needed for getting people to work who either chioose not to have a vehicle, py for parking or can't afford one. Many people leave the house to work and come home to relax and do house hold chores and family time.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:56 AM
"Pow! Right in the kissa"

36 minutes to the Airport via. the A Line? That's not bad at all!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 1:06 AM
It's Hammer Time

HSR is testing out new seats. They got a new bus with these seats...

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 1:23 AM

Great, now I'll have to look 4x as hard to ensure I don't sit in something unpleasant...........

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 3:14 PM

Just unfold a serviette and lay it across the seat before plopping down.

I really dislike these busy multi-colour fabric seat covers. Actually, I'd prefer a vinyl seat cover, one that can be easily wiped clean and not a fabric that will absorb, er, liquids.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 3:18 PM
It's Hammer Time

That's not the actual fabric. It's still the same blue cover with the City of Hamilton logo pressed on. Just different seat design.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 1:51 PM
It's Hammer Time

City endorses next-generation transit plan

By Mike Pearson, News Staff
News
Sep 25, 2009
http://www.hamiltonmountainnews.com/news/article/189700

City staff is riding public transit into the next generation.

Led by Dundas councillor Russ Powers and city transit director Don Hull, the public works committee is endorsing the Transit Vision 2040 from the Canadian Urban Transit Association.

Among several recommendations contained in the report, the CUTA stresses the need to put public transit at the centre of the community while also providing environmental sustainability, customer focus and ensuring financial health.

Mr. Hull said expanding Hamilton’s rapid transit networks is a key component of the city’s growth plan. He pointed to recent upgrades, including a new bus line to Waterdown, which are helping to connect Hamilton’s suburban communities to the downtown. The city is also studying other improvements such as automated stop announcements and global positioning software designed to help staff adjust bus routes and maximize efficiencies.

Mr. Hull said Hamilton already has one of Canada’s greenest fleets, with several hybrid electric buses. The Hamilton Street Railway has also equipped its buses with bicycle racks and low-floor accessibility to encourage more ridership. The HSR has enjoyed success with its student bus pass programs for McMaster, Mohawk College and Redeemer University College. A free transit program has also been initiated for seniors 80-plus.

Ward 6 (east Mountain) councillor Tom Jackson said the city should study ways to encourage more white-collar customers to use public transit.

“How do we get more suits riding the buses?” he asked.

Mr. Hull said convenience is the biggest factor for attracting new ridership.

“It has to be close to being at the same level of convenience as the automobile,” Mr. Hull said.

“That’s the kind of frequency that attracts new riders.”

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 5:12 AM
Hammer'd

I think these guys are finally getting it
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 11:14 AM
It's Hammer Time

Premier McGuinty was positive on the future of Hamilton's public transit, which is great because if you have been following along there has been many hints that the 2010 provincial budget should be really positive for Hamilton's B-Line.

A Spectator interview with Premier Dalton McGuinty
http://www.thespec.com/videogallery/652695

Dalton McGuinty bullish on Hamilton
Eight questions with the Premier

October 14, 2009
Mark McNeil
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/652981

Dalton McGuinty could definitely use a spot of tea.

His government is being scalded by opposition MPPs over the botched $1 billion eHealth program. A cabinet minister has resigned. And the provincial deficit is spiralling during the recession.

Yesterday, at William's Coffee Pub by Hamilton's Bayfront, the premier took some moments of caffeine reflection in an exclusive interview with The Spectator.

He talked about his eHealth woes and how for him it is a cautionary tale about jumping into government initiatives too quickly.

He said he is bullish about Hamilton, especially with planned public transit improvements over the next several years.

He thinks an NHL team belongs here and contends the manufacturing sector has a promising future.

Here are some excerpts from the wide-ranging conversation:

On eHealth:

"I accept wholeheartedly all the findings and recommendations of the auditor. As head of the government, I accept responsibility for failing to bring oversight to the way money was being spent within the ministry and within eHealth.

On provincial finances:

"I'm not sure Ontarians fully understand that just as the global recession has had an impact on the Ontario economy, it has also had an impact on Ontario government finances. We will be called upon to make some difficult choices and we will start to talk about them more publicly ... it is not business as usual."

On the provincial deficit:

"We're borrowing money to stimulate the economy so that it serves the needs of our generation ... it is the right thing to do. But we have to pay some attention to the needs ... (of the next generation) ... (You don't want them to say) 'It's now 2019 and what about my economy? I'm still paying off your debt.'"

On the manufacturing crisis:

"One of the things I think Ontarians need to understand is there is a promising future for manufacturing in Ontario.... It's not the end of manufacturing in Ontario. It is the evolution of manufacturing in Ontario. It's becoming ever more sophisticated in terms of the processes that are used, the products that are produced and the skills that are enlisted."

On future public transit in Hamilton:

"I want us to get to a point where people (working in Toronto) say that public transit is so great that I am going to buy a place in Hamilton. I am going to raise a family in Hamilton. It is so much more affordable. I'll commute and maybe telecommute two or three days a week ... Suddenly you have more opportunities for people to come to Hamilton and enjoy a special quality of life. Take a look at your waterfront here. How many people know about the opportunities along the waterfront? I think only the people in Hamilton."

On an NHL team for Hamilton:

"You couldn't get a better market (for hockey) ... (there is) a ready, committed, fanatical market base here ... A hockey team is one of those things that brings us together and gives us something to cheer for. I would not underestimate that. It's not everything but it is pretty emblematic of a city that is on the move ... it gives you a sense of pride."

On Caledonia:

"We have worked really hard to keep the temperature down, to introduce respect on both sides for the other party, to keep people at the table. There are longstanding concerns that predate Confederation between the aboriginal communities and the federal government ... There are obviously certain incidents that we would have preferred to have never happened. But I do commend the Ontario Provincial Police in particular for working so hard under very difficult conditions ... some days we felt like peacekeepers there. There is an ongoing dispute between the federal government and aboriginal communities and we tried to do everything we could to maintain a civil discourse."

On downloaded social service costs to municipalities:

"In an ideal world ... we would upload everything that had been downloaded. But we can't. We have our own financial obligations. So we put in place a plan to gradually upload the costs and take those on."

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 12:22 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
On future public transit in Hamilton:

"I want us to get to a point where people (working in Toronto) say that public transit is so great that I am going to buy a place in Hamilton. I am going to raise a family in Hamilton. It is so much more affordable. I'll commute and maybe telecommute two or three days a week ... Suddenly you have more opportunities for people to come to Hamilton and enjoy a special quality of life. Take a look at your waterfront here. How many people know about the opportunities along the waterfront? I think only the people in Hamilton."
Yay, bedroom community!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 12:39 PM

^^ I prefer the "living room" concept someone here suggested the other day.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
Yay, bedroom community!
Yeah!! Why isn't Hamilton important enough for the province to work to create more local jobs??

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 1:49 PM
It's Hammer Time

It works on both sides. Better transit also means people from GTA can commute to Hamilton for work and vice versa.

The main reason why local busineses like Wescam and AIC didn't locate in Hamilton is because bad public transit connection from GTA to Hamilton. Instead they went to Aldershot/Burlington.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 3:12 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
Yay, bedroom community!
too funny

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
It works on both sides. Better transit also means people from GTA can commute to Hamilton for work and vice versa.

The main reason why local busineses like Wescam and AIC didn't locate in Hamilton is because bad public transit connection from GTA to Hamilton. Instead they went to Aldershot/Burlington.
I find it highly suspect that either had GO connection to the GTA as a reason to locate where they are currently located. Where did you get that information?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 12:40 AM
It's Hammer Time

Michael Chin did an interview a few years back and he highlighted why he decided to locate to Burlington instead of Hamilton, poor connections to GTA.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 12:28 AM
It's Hammer Time

Here we go again....

Bus Fares Return To Table

Ken Mann
10/19/2009
http://www.900chml.com/Channels/Reg/...spx?ID=1153064

It's just about time for the annual debate over the need to increase HSR fares.

The issue will hit the table, during a budget meeting on October.29th.

Don Hull, Hamilton's Director of Transit, says they must find a way to increase revenues after being asked to avoid a departmental budget increase of more than 2%.

Hull acknowledges that will mean proposals for council's consideration that include both fare increases and what he calls "service rationalization" scenarios.

The current costs of riding the HSR include $2.40 for an adult cash fare, $1.85 for an adult ticket and 79 dollars for a monthly adult pass.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure