HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 6:33 PM

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-new-mdot-plan
  • I-75 project cut by 10 years. Originally expected to be complete by 2030 will now be complete by 2020.
  • Half the length of the project will be privately funded ($1 billion dollars). Construction companies will pay the upfront costs while the state repays them over 25 years.
  • There will be two segments/phases to the project instead of the original several. 8 Mile to 13 Mile will be the first segment and 13 Mile to Coolidge will be the second segment.

Construction is also currently halted and will resume next summer with this new plan. The Square Lake Road - I-75 interchange is completed and open.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 3:12 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

It almost sounds too good to be true, which is why it has me wondering how much more this is going to cost than initially estimated? Because these construction companies and contrators aren't speeding this up out of their concern for the public. If this is such a win-win, why hasn't MDOT done this on other large projects before? MDOT's not some unsophisticated highway builder.

Anyway, apart from my concerns with the financing, what I like about this is the mention of an underground tunnel for drainage. Not only will it prevent freeway flooding, but will allow MDOT to store the water and released it in a manner that's better for local waterways.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 8:30 PM
homesick alien

I just did a search of obstruction evaluations over at the Federal Aviation Administration for Detroit, and the Gordie Howe International Bridge is listed at 816'. If true, it will be a behemoth, and the tallest bridge by structural height in the US if I'm not mistaken.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...28681257&row=0

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 3:49 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Wow, hadn't realized they'd already filed this with the FAA. They've been holding information about the project very close to the vest. But, yeah, if it ends up being this tall it'd be far-and-away the tallest bridge in the country. The current tallest are the Golden Gate Bridge towers at 746 feet.

And, at 816 feet, it'd likely rival the proposed Hudson block tower, which is now plannef ro over 800 feet.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation