HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:19 AM

UIC pursues $100M residence hall and academic complex
Quote:
UIC's proposal to construct a 10-story, 550-bed tower at the corner of Harrison and Morgan streets ...
Construction is scheduled to start in December and would last until July 2019. ...
The building would sit near the UIC Theatre, the Behavioral Sciences Building and the Jane Addams School of Social Work, just off the Eisenhower Expressway. "It will be very visible, and I think it will also send a signal about the strength and vitality of the campus," UIC Chancellor Michael Amiridis said. ...

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:42 PM
The City

^ Yes!

Would love to see more renderings. I'm just glad it's on a corner and it's replacing surface parking. We need more of this at UIC

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
CMU and brick/stone veneer cavity wall construction has been the industry standard for i don't even know how many decades now.

nobody has built masonry walls with double and triple brick wythes for ages. it's needlessly expensive.
That doesn't mean it's not better quality (in fact, it usually means that it is).

Also...

http://www.grubstreet.com/2017/09/mc...dquarters.html

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:50 PM
Skyscraper Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Good news for my alma mater! UIC has been doing an excellent job progressing from a commuter campus to one where the majority of students live at or near the school. The fact that this replaces an ugly parking lot only sweetens the deal.

The location is really ideal as well. Right next to the UIC blue line stop, only a minutes walk to BSB, UH, and the Pavilion, and a few minutes more to the quad.

This will look really impressive from 290 as well. As much as we celebrate the canyoning of 90/94, we have some nice projects creating a mini canyon along the Ike as well. This and the Harry Potter tower will really add some bulk to the stretch between Racine and the Circle.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development