HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 6:58 AM
Denver

To be clear about $hillary, pretty much everyone knows she is a flip flopping liar. Those that deny this are completely out of touch with any of her policy decisions in the past 20 years.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If Donald Trump becomes president, the Democrats who supported a candidate that polled MUCH worse than Bernie will have no one to blame but themselves.

Last edited by Scottk; Jun 1, 2016 at 7:09 AM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 2:40 PM

One of the more fascinating things about the election cycle is the changing approval ratings for Barack Obama. Philip Bump in WaPo probably covers it best. I had speculated that Obama would have to be out of office a year or so before his ratings recovered this nicely. Clearly this year's uninspiring election cycle is benefitting the President. I'd guess that whoever is elected will be a one-term President. Obama is going to be a hard act to follow.

The suggestion that this should benefit Hillary is, I'd think, a more tricky question than simple approval polls for the incumbent but certainly it's not a negative. If Obama wants to make himself useful to the campaign I'd think he could help down ballot candidates more than influencing the top of the ticket.

In any case I've grown bored with the campaign until July when the conventions start.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 5:49 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
To be clear about $hillary, pretty much everyone knows she is a flip flopping liar.
Crooked Hillary

Cowardly Donald

Crazy Bernie

Ants-in-His-Eyes Johnson

So many bad choices

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
Looking down at Big Falls in the canyon of the South Fork of the mighty Payette River from the Wildlife Canyon Scenic Byway in the northern stretches of the Boise MSA.
Boise National Forest
May 29
Beautiful!

More Please

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 10:06 PM
cities|transit|croissants

A good croissant should be light and flaky on both the inside and outside, but the outside should be hard, while the inside should be cloud-like and soft. The outside shell should peel apart easily, and should almost crumble at the touch, but should just barely hold together. The inside should almost melt in your mouth, but should take just a tiny bit of effort to pull apart and digest. You can find good croissants in America. Some of the nicer chains like Paul and Le Pain Quotidien make acceptable ones, and there are many local artisanal bakeries that do it right. But you do have to search a little, and Starbucks' shitty versions are a disgusting joke.

Photo from Davidovich bakery

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 12:02 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Scottk: Bumper sticker politics at its finest.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 12:17 AM
Aspiring Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
You can find good croissants in America. Some of the nicer chains like Paul and Le Pain Quotidien make acceptable ones, and there are many local artisanal bakeries that do it right. But you do have to search a little, and Starbucks' shitty versions are a disgusting joke.
You have no idea how lucky you are that you have Paul in the DC area. I've never been to one in the US, but I'd kill to have one where I am.

It'd be cool to see one in Denver too, but that's probably a long way away, and there are also all the problems associated with baking bread at high altitude that would need to be sorted out...

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Starbucks' shitty versions are a disgusting joke.
This is the internet so you have to quantify your disgust in units of Hitlers.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 2:33 AM

7. Starbucks croissants are worse than 7 Hitlers. They're that bad. Little Debbie makes a better croissant than Starbucks.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 3:21 AM

Starbuck's coffee in general is about 3 Hitlers. They over roast their beans. I prefer Pete's, Daz Bog or Caribou Coffee.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCO View Post
You have no idea how lucky you are that you have Paul in the DC area. I've never been to one in the US, but I'd kill to have one where I am.

It'd be cool to see one in Denver too, but that's probably a long way away, and there are also all the problems associated with baking bread at high altitude that would need to be sorted out...
Have you tried?
  • Trompeau Bakery, 2950 S Broadway, Englewood
  • Wooden Spoon Cafe & Bakery, 2418 W 32nd Ave, Denver
  • Detour Bakery, 1479 S Holly St, Denver
  • Babette’s Artisan Bakery, 3350 Brighton Blvd, Denver
  • Beet Box, 1030 E 22nd Ave, Denver

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 6:07 PM

Quote:
7. Starbucks croissants are worse than 7 Hitlers. They're that bad.
Thank you for clarifying!

Quote:
Little Debbie makes a better croissant than Starbucks.
That's a bit harsh.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 4:32 PM
Denver

Numerous polls now show $hillary and Donald neck and neck in the general election.

Maybe if she is indicted before the convention we could still have a democratic president???

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 4:46 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

I'd kill for a Pauls in Denver.

I'll agree on Starbucks roasting level on their beans. I prefer less roast on my beans, though not the practically green crap that NOVO coffee does- that's just repulsive.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 11:58 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Copa America! US v Colombia.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 2:54 AM

Good baguettes are more difficult to find in America than good croissants, although shitty baguettes are frustratingly abundant. Like croissants, baguettes should be light and airy on both the inside and outside, with a crispy shell and soft interior. A good baguette outer shell should be legitimately hard; if you press you fingers against it, it should feel like a real shell with little to no give. The inside should be fluffy and light as cotton candy, with plenty of air holes; if it's dense like a German loaf or squishy like American sliced bread then it's all wrong. The keys to a good baguette are air inserted into it during baking to maintain the proper lightness, and a total lack of preservatives, fats, or oils, which ruin the consistency. A proper baguette should go stale in one day.

American bakeries, even fancy artisan ones, virtually always insist on adding some kind of preservative (or fat or oil to act as such), which is why you can almost never find a decent baguette in America. Personally, I grade American baguettes on an A-B-C scale. Grade C baguettes are basically just American bread that's vaguelly baguette-shaped, and are common at general grocery stores like King Soopers. Grade B baguettes may have a properly hard shell but are too dense in the interior, and are common at independent bakeries or stores like Whole Foods. Grade A baguettes are actually French-like and are very rare, although the really good artisan bakeries and French-American bakeries will often produce what you might call Grade A- baguettes that are almost right, except they have too many preservatives.

Paul makes a Grade A- baguette. I have only had legit Grade A+ baguettes at one place in America, at an expensive French restaurant with an in-house bakery.

Left side: Bad!
Right side: Good!

Montreal Gazette

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 3:02 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Grading things makes me miss Wizend. Also America is not being made great again. 2-0 Not America.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 4:28 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

The French only have time for those fancy light and airy baguettes because we are subsidizing their national defense. When we leave NATO, you'll see, their baguette quality will go down. While we make Americans into great bakers again.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
The French only have time for those fancy light and airy baguettes because we are subsidizing their national defense. When we leave NATO, you'll see, their baguette quality will go down. While we make Americans into great bakers again.
I think you may be onto something here.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 8:30 AM
Denver

Hillary Clinton wore a 12,500 dollar Giorgio Armani jacket to a speech about wealth inequality

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/06/hilla...nequality.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West