HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

3 Civic Plaza in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Surrey Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 1:19 AM

I live near the area and that hotel felt like it took FOREVER to complete...

I feel like it is picking up speed now.

Quote:
As such, the area is in need of a serious revitalization at the social level, not just at the development level. Hopefully this building will be the catalyst to start such a process.
That's an interesting point to make. I know that there are plans to re-do the recreation centre/theatre in Surrey Central (someone, please correct me if I'm wrong) and I think that something like that can help out with some social development (?). But are there any other suggestions?

Regardless I do think that the more up-scale hotel in Surrey Central is going to put more pressure on the surrounding area to develop into locations that are going to benefit from their guests' business.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox71 View Post
Jebby, Jebby, Jebby - such a sweet and naive little thing - never seems to learn that people don't comment on things that they don't care about - this is a basic law of human nature. For all the "Surrey sucks" rhetoric, you sure have a remarkable passion for Surrey as you can't seem to stop from posting on Surrey threads. Why, oh why, is Surrey so important to you that you are seemingly compelled to speak of it over and over again? Think of all the delightful ways that you could spend that energy on something you actually claim to care about! Now go off and play with toys that actually appeal to you and maybe you'll find that you too can one day turn that big sad frown into a smile!! Now be off with you - Bye bye!!

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 7:54 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Let's keep this thread on track.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
I live near the area and that hotel felt like it took FOREVER to complete...

I feel like it is picking up speed now.

That's an interesting point to make. I know that there are plans to re-do the recreation centre/theatre in Surrey Central (someone, please correct me if I'm wrong) and I think that something like that can help out with some social development (?). But are there any other suggestions?

Regardless I do think that the more up-scale hotel in Surrey Central is going to put more pressure on the surrounding area to develop into locations that are going to benefit from their guests' business.
I'm not sure if the hotel will help a huge amount. I mean it does in the sense that people staying will be demanding more social attractions in the core, and the convention center will bring people, but if you look at social items in other cities and centers, a lot of it comes from having plenty of things to do not just 1 or 2.

Restaurants are part of it, having more of those. Surrey Central is improving there. Walk down most of the "social" streets in Downtown Vancouver though and you'll trip over restaurants. In Surrey Central you can count on a couple hands most of the ones available, in DTV on some roads you get through both hands in 2 blocks.

Shopping is another aspect, and that is somewhere Surrey Central is well behind on and needs improve over time. Yes there is a mall but that's different than street level retail and shopping that gets people walking around a neighborhood. With a mall it is destination based so people drive or walk quickly to and from the mall but there is nothing in between.

The final item are culture based such as clubs, theaters, etc. where shows play and people go to watch and then go out to a restaurant after. Right now Surrey Central is still largely utilitarian to me. Meaning you go there to do something then leave. There isn't really any point of hanging around. You compare to many parts of Downtown Vancouver where most people would rank a higher level of culture, and it is less about that.

For example, you jump on SkyTrain and go downtown to see a show at the Orpheum. A lot of people will go a bit early and wander along Granville going into little shops and just generally hanging out. Then go to their show, and after that take a relaxing walk back maybe dipping into a restaurant or pub for a drink or some food. That creates an atmosphere where people are populating a core vs going in and out.

I find any city where people question the social and cultural atmosphere are largely destination based. Aka they are filled with businesses where the daily population may be high but it is largely people commuting, going to work, then leaving. At night the core largely evacuates and is empty. This actually happens in a _lot_ of major cities around the world even several larger than Vancouver I've been to.

Surrey is this way right now. It is largely a destination for residents living and starting to be business oriented, but social/culture is still well behind. There isn't even a movie theater yet (it is coming at The Hub). It is going to take time I'd imagine if ever.

Does Metrotown have a night life? Brentwood? Coquitlam Center? New Westminster? Do they truely address a social need either? I happen to think Downtown Vancouver is largely unique in the region in this regard. My wife lived around Oak Ridge and you could fire a cannon around there at night and not hit someone. I also have a friend in Kits and in the evening often you'd be lucky to see a human being walk buy his street. So it isn't all of Vancouver that is a mecca of socialization. But I could be wrong.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
Let's keep this thread on track.
Yes please all. Don't feed the trolls.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 5:07 PM

Not sure where to post this.....

Apparently a AYCE Sushi restaurant is opening next door to the Burger King on King George.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 5:17 PM

I rode by on the Skytrain yesterday and the area is worlds better than it used to be. Weren't they going to move the rec center to somewhere over by Scott Road Station? There's another rec center up towards Gateway Station so that wouldn't be a huge loss.

But what is planned to go into the area other than residential? Does there need to be dedicated office towers, or can they go the Station Square route with retail with office podiums under residential towers? How many of the towers have or are planned to have podiums?

BTW there is an ignore feature on here...

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 6:59 PM

The Scott Rd Arena / Rec Centre is supposed to begin construction later this year and open late 2017.

Once that opens the current ice rinks and bus loop will be removed at Surrey Central, opening up that area for redevelopment along a new plaza / pedestrian promenade linking Central City and City Hall. This re-development will likely be mixed-use Office / Residential / Retail / Institutional.

All of the land between University Dr / City Parkway / 104 Ave / and 102 Ave is owned by the City.

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post

But what is planned to go into the area other than residential? Does there need to be dedicated office towers, or can they go the Station Square route with retail with office podiums under residential towers? How many of the towers have or are planned to have podiums?
City Centre Plan:

http://www.surrey.ca/files/CityCentr..._July_2013.pdf

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w34lth View Post
Not sure where to post this.....

Apparently a AYCE Sushi restaurant is opening next door to the Burger King on King George.
They any good? There is a fairly decent sushi place "Sushi & Roll" right in Surrey Central, but I'm always up for new good sushi places.

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I rode by on the Skytrain yesterday and the area is worlds better than it used to be. Weren't they going to move the rec center to somewhere over by Scott Road Station? There's another rec center up towards Gateway Station so that wouldn't be a huge loss.

BTW there is an ignore feature on here...
The only pure office towers that have been planned in the medium term are to be built at The Hub at King George SkyTrain (Phase C of the current project) and across the street at the Holland Park complex that will likely start after 3 Civic since it is the same developer i believe.

Other than that I haven't seen or heard of any other pure office towers. Even at gateway they scaled back a pure office tower to be the 5 storey building being built now. You're probably right that in the near term the best we can hope for is some office podiums under residential.

Mixed use seems to be the new buzz in the region so they try to do that with everything now. I'm not sure though that Surrey really warrants pure office at this stage. Hell Metrotown has had enough trouble filling their office space and Metrotown has been established far longer in that regard and is closer to Vancouver.

As for the ignore, I don't like ignoring because some of the trolls do post good things sometimes and are capable of actually contributing when they decide not to just be giant dicks.

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
The only pure office towers that have been planned in the medium term are to be built at The Hub at King George SkyTrain (Phase C of the current project) and across the street at the Holland Park complex that will likely start after 3 Civic since it is the same developer i believe.

Other than that I haven't seen or heard of any other pure office towers. Even at gateway they scaled back a pure office tower to be the 5 storey building being built now. You're probably right that in the near term the best we can hope for is some office podiums under residential.

Mixed use seems to be the new buzz in the region so they try to do that with everything now. I'm not sure though that Surrey really warrants pure office at this stage. Hell Metrotown has had enough trouble filling their office space and Metrotown has been established far longer in that regard and is closer to Vancouver.

As for the ignore, I don't like ignoring because some of the trolls do post good things sometimes and are capable of actually contributing when they decide not to just be giant dicks.
Also in the future will we did large office towers everywhere? Computers used to fill entire rooms and now we can carry something more powerful in our pocket. With the breaking down of the Mon-Fri 9-5 workweek combined with people working from home, is there really a need for adding that much more office space?

I'm with you about Metrotown. Metrotower 3 has been open for a few years now and it still isn't fully leased out. I hope the Station Square podiums don't sit empty. Burnaby made sure some of the office podium space along Beresford was set aside for non-profits and the like.

I'm not fond of using ignore either. If someone is being a troll I eventually use it. By that point their words have become fairly inconsequential so any non-trollishness from them would barely be glanced at anyway. If they decide to turn back to a person, then I'll consider removing them from ignore.

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 5:57 PM

^^^ Not to mention the current trend atm is for employers to adopt "open concept" floor space for their offices instead of the traditional cubicle. Saves a lot on space, we're currently moving to such a set-up.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 4:16 AM

Another floor. Curious as to why they still haven't installed any glazing on the office portion.

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 4:39 AM

Posted May 29th by Yellow Fever
(note these are older than Shift's May 26th pics, based on the progress):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
The spandrel on the hotel portion looks atrocious!
Loving this building even more as it rises!

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Loving this building even more as it rises!
I'm more and more disappointed by it the more it rises.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 12:46 AM

Unless those darker grey parts of the spandrel come off, I kind of agree with the notion that the spandrel is ugly.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 3:59 AM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Unless those darker grey parts of the spandrel come off, I kind of agree with the notion that the spandrel is ugly.
Maybe the only reason why the building looks ugly is because the photos have gray skies as well. But when its sunny, the building may look more pretty. Then again, its gray skies in Metro Vancouver 9 months a year....

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 5:13 AM

In some better light from Central City Plaza yesterday morning.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley