HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 4:21 AM

According to ANS there will be a new NSLC built at One Forest Hill Parkway to replace the existing 4'000sq ft location already on site. It is apparently the top selling location in Dartmouth-Eastern Shore. It will be similar to the Bayer's Lake location in terms of design and size (~10'000sq ft).

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 2:44 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
According to ANS there will be a new NSLC built at One Forest Hill Parkway to replace the existing 4'000sq ft location already on site. It is apparently the top selling location in Dartmouth-Eastern Shore. It will be similar to the Bayer's Lake location in terms of design and size (~10'000sq ft).
This has been talked about for years. They also want to redo the Faulkner/Wyse Rd. address as well but can't seem to finalize locations. NSLC has a lot of planned changes. Clyde, Agricola, Forest Hill and Wyse. The Advantage they have is that no matter if a store was bombed out or smelled like pee, there is no worry about losing the business.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 2:56 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I had once heard rumors of a Superstore going where the Wyse Rd. Save Easy is now. Does anyone know how the No Frills brand does in Spryfield? I'm pretty confident that there isn't a big enough population to support the superstore branding on Wyse but I was wondering if others thought re-branding to a No Frills at this location would make sense? I think a new grocery with a side entrance NSLC would be good for the location.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 4:03 PM

No Frills does pretty good, i know a bunch of people that love it

its basicly superstore but with more no name products

the over all feel isnt even that different from a superstore .

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post
No Frills does pretty good, i know a bunch of people that love it

its basicly superstore but with more no name products

the over all feel isnt even that different from a superstore .
There's a new No Frills in Sydney that is doing gangbusters.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
I had once heard rumors of a Superstore going where the Wyse Rd. Save Easy is now. Does anyone know how the No Frills brand does in Spryfield? I'm pretty confident that there isn't a big enough population to support the superstore branding on Wyse but I was wondering if others thought re-branding to a No Frills at this location would make sense? I think a new grocery with a side entrance NSLC would be good for the location.
They really need to blow up the entire section of the Dartmouth Shopping Center between the Wendy's to the Shoppers store and replace it with new construction Then maybe a new grocery store could be built with a NSLC as well.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 10:53 PM

According to an article in the ANS last night Dollarama will be constructing a new flagship store at the Young-Kempt centre.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 1:21 AM

Great just what we need... Not.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 1:29 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
According to an article in the ANS last night Dollarama will be constructing a new flagship store at the Young-Kempt centre.
Drat, and I thought that Moncton had the largest Dollarama in the Dominion....

Oh well.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 7:01 PM

I was in Halifax Shopping Centre yesterday and construction on Hollister and Sephora looked to be well underway. Both are scheduled to open mid-august. I also noticed that the American Eagle store in HSC has expanded and is now very large, probably twice the size that it was just a few months ago (no doubt due to the incoming giant that is Hollister).

Aeropostale opened at HSC in early June and is also rather large, much larger than the store in Mic Mac it seemed.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 1:28 AM

Super-late, but it looks like The North Face is setting up a store on Barrington. There seems to be a weird kind of outdoor activity pseudo-district being developed on that block...

Also, has there been any talk at all of that old house on SPR next to HMV being filled? I'm always surprised to see it vacant, it'd be a perfect place for some kind of quirky boutique shop.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 6:37 PM

Updates:

American Eagle's new store is now open on the second level of Mic Mac Mall

Sephora will officially open August 12th in Halifax Shopping Centre

Hollister Co. will open soon... official date TBA.

Last edited by icetea93; Aug 18, 2011 at 6:50 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 3:52 AM

According to AllNovaSotia the Pseudio location in Park Lane Mall is going to expand. Its going to take over the former Backyard & Veranda and Summit Spa locations in the rear of the mall for a total footprint of 6'360 sq. ft.

Backyard and Veranda is shutting down to focus on their other locations in HRM and Summit Spa is moving into 5495 Spring Garden when the building is complete (new TD location by Chedrawe).

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 4:35 AM

B&V was already gone when I was in PL last Thursday.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 1:34 PM

Renewed part of Sunnyside Mall to reopen in fall
Tue, Aug 9 - 4:55 AM

Quote:
Sunnyside Mall in Bedford is set to reopen its renovated northern section this fall with new stores and food services, a departure from Canadian Tire’s utilitarian feel after that retailer moved to Bedford Commons last year.

The move left the mall with 40,000 square feet of unused space. A Shoppers Drug Mart took over almost half that when it opened as one of the mall’s new anchor stores in the spring.

The mall is filling up the remaining space with smaller boutiques and independent retailers, including a branch of Nova Scotia home decor chain Comfort and Joy, a Liberty Shoes, and a Shades of Pink nail salon.

Read More Here

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 11:20 AM

From The Chronicle Herald:

Halifax gets posh makeup boutique
French-founded Sephora has stores across continent
By SELENA ROSS
Fri, Aug 12 - 4:54 AM

HALIFAX IS GETTING ITS OWN BRANCH of Sephora, the high-end makeup boutique that has spread across North America in the past 15 years.

The store opens its first Maritime location this morning on the first floor of the Halifax Shopping Centre.

Some on the East Coast may never have heard of the company, but there’s a legion of locals who have heard a lot and are looking forward to visiting a Sephora for the first time.

"I just know that it’s kind of M.A.C.’s biggest competition, and it has all of the high-end makeup; it’s like a makeup superstore," said Ashlynn Lily, 25, who learned about Sephora from friends in Toronto.

"I think it’s a great new thing. It kind of puts Halifax on the map a little more."

The Sephora brand, founded in France in 1970, began its worldwide expansion when luxury retailer Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton (LVMH) bought it in 1997 and opened the first store in New York. There are now more than 1,000 Sephora stores in 24 countries, including 27 in Canada, and a major expansion is planned for China, according to Ann Munro, the Halifax store’s director.

The company planned its move to Halifax after getting requests from fashionistas across the Atlantic provinces who wanted a store close enough to visit instead of ordering online, Munro said.

Unlike some other cosmetics stores, Sephora has carved out a niche not with the magic of its products but with the promise of a big customer service team who will work with shoppers one-on-one and give free makeovers.

Halifax employees have spent 2½ weeks at "Sephora University" training camp learning about what the store stocks. And there’s a lot.

"It’s a playground of cosmetics. That’s how we like to think about it," said Munro on Thursday as she pointed out dozens of different displays filling the store’s 5,200-square-foot space.

Sephora sells up to 200 different brands of makeup, nail polish, cosmetics supplies, and skin and hair-care products, including a few unavailable elsewhere like Kat Von D, Hello Kitty and Tokidoki.

The most space in the Halifax store goes to the company’s own mid-price Sephora brand.

The store tries to appeal to all generations, said Munro. It offers classic Clinique and Dior products (and poached a local Dior expert from the Bay) but also carries colourful, cheaper products that a 13-year-old could buy with her allowance.

Cheryl Fowler was visiting from Moncton and said she is excited to have a Sephora opening close by.

"When I go down (to the United States) I always try to find one, but you more go buy specific products because you don’t really have time to shop."

( sross@herald.ca)

Last edited by icetea93; Aug 12, 2011 at 11:39 AM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 3:14 PM
Urban Thinker

HSC is really coming into its own. Any word on when the Hollister will open? Both it and Sephora were listed as August 2011.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
HSC is really coming into its own. Any word on when the Hollister will open? Both it and Sephora were listed as August 2011.
Hollister was scheduled to open August 18 but now they are saying the 20-21 weekend. They said that it wouldn't be too far after the 18th. Of douse people didn't take too kindly too the delay as some of them were planning day trips and had booked the 18th off work. At least it isn't too long past the original date, only a matter of days. I'll post the new official opening day when it is announced!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 5:34 PM

A picture of Sephora in Halifax Shopping Centre. The store reportedly sold upwards of $100 000 worth of products on Friday when it opened.

http://s3yelp1-a.akamaihd.net/bphoto...QfERwcLA/l.jpg

And one of Hollister that should be opening soon at HSC...

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg618/sca...=480&ysize=480

Last edited by icetea93; Aug 15, 2011 at 5:55 PM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 10:35 PM

I walked along Barrington today and noticed that the North Face store in the old Carsand Mosher building is open. Also, there's another shop opening soon in the space next to the E-Pin Korean Grill on the next block. It appears to be a clothing boutique. This will mean a continuous retail/restaurant strip on the east side of the street for nearly two blocks!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General