HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 4:07 PM
Bridge Walker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS View Post
Well, it's not a clear sentence or two (to say the least), but now we do have a set of demands:

http://www.cbc.ca/bc/news/bc-111104-...er-demands.pdf

Apparently, this is only a draft document and should not be considered comprehensive.
They really should pare that list down to only the realistic ones. Of which, out of the 60, aren't too many and well beyond the purview of local and federal governments. It's pie in the sky flights of fancy.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 5:46 PM

And judging by their current amount public support, they should probably say "We suggest"

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Set the record straight. In a clear sentence (or two), what is the message of the occupy movement?
I'll give it a go...

"The majority of the wealth created in the last generation has accrued to a very small portion of society; the top 1%. Those participating in the Occupy movement feel that the current economic and political model is not structured to prioritize the remaining 99% of society and resolve the issues about which they care."

These issues include homelessness, affordable housing, the cost of education, environmental sustainability, energy prices, social justice, indigenous peoples' rights, unemployment, women's rights in developing countries, national spending priorities, world peace, the financial industry bailout, inflation, and obviously many more.

The media's oft-repeated criticism that the movement lacks a coherent message is a reflection of there not being a single message, save for the "we are the 99%" rallying cry from which the airing of additional grievances follows. The Occupy movement has become an umbrella for a wide spectrum of causes, and by occupying prominent public spaces in more than 1,700 cities around the world the participants are "changing the conversation", to borrow a turn of phrased used by Thomas Friedman.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Nov 5, 2011 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Typo corrected

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 8:12 PM
BANNED

My younger brother (25) was involved from the beginning at OYVR, and blogs from the site. I spoke to him the other night, and he said his opinion of the protest has soured to the point he is almost done as it has turned into a haven for drug use, and partying. He said the highlights for him were David Suzuki and Tom Morello showing support at the site.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl69 View Post
He said the highlights for him were David Suzuki and Tom Morello showing support at the site.
David Suzuki being a "highlight" for this young lad shows the intellectual level of these "protesters".

This is someone who has made millions preaching that the earth can't sustain our lifestyles, but who continues, year after year, to consume more resources than the average people he's deriding.

This man owns multi-million dollar homes in both Vancouver & on Quadra Island.

Now go and report that to your master, David Suzuki. Stooge.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racc View Post
Wow, get a little grip on reality. It is bylaws that are being broken, just like the bylaws that are broken on the streets everyday by the majority of people driving, walking and cycling around the city. At least they are working with authorities to fix issues and ensure safety which is more than many motorists do who insist on breaking the speed limit around the city endangering themselves and others. Occury is no big deal. Time to move on. Nothing to see here.
Er... no. You move on. Protesting is one thing, indefinitely taking over a property that belongs to all the people of Vancouver is something else. Not to mention the cost to taxpayers of having a 24/7 police and fire presence. Let's move the whole thing to the grounds of city hall. That way the progressives in office there can have a great view of the wonderful camp (and get a whiff of the BO, urine and pot as bonus).

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Considering every single post you make somehow ends up being anti-anything to do with cars, I always wondered if your mother / father / aunt / uncle / all of them were run down once?

My condolences!
Thank you! I totally agree...

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 9:22 PM

why dont these "protesters" go and occupy space that inconveniences this 1% they keep speaking of instead of inconveniencing everyone else in our city who would like to use and enjoy this public space. These guys seem a little bit greedy and self centered. And they are doing no justice to their causes. they are just coming off as a bunch of reject dirty hippies

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Considering every single post you make somehow ends up being anti-anything to do with cars, I always wondered if your mother / father / aunt / uncle / all of them were run down once?

My condolences!
Well, at least give him an A+ for consistency, or beating a dead horse in plainspeak.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
I'll give it a go...

"The majority of the wealth created in the last generation has accrued to a very small portion of society; the top 1%. Those participating in the Occupy movement feel that the current economic and political model is not structured to prioritize the remaining 99% of society and resolve the issues about which they care."

These issues include homelessness, affordable housing, the cost of education, environmental sustainability, energy prices, social justice, indigenous peoples' rights, unemployment, women's rights in developing countries, national spending priorities, world peace, the financial industry bailout, inflation, and obviously many more.

The media's oft-repeated criticism that the movement lacks a coherent message is a reflection of there not being a single message, save for the "we are the 99%" rallying cry from which the airing of additional grievances follows. The Occupy movement has become an umbrella for a wide spectrum of causes, and by occupying prominent public spaces in more than 1,700 cities around the world the participants are "changing the conversation", to borrow a turn of phrased used by Thomas Friedman.
While there is truth to the 1% fact, they always coveniently overlook the fact the cost of many things has actually come down over the same time period has actually come down (electronics, clothing) The big exception is housing, but there people's expectations have changed. Look at all the perfectly happy families in Vancouver who grew up in bungalows with 1 bathroom and 2 bedrooms.

The Occupy movement can't afford to be an umbrella group for every ragtag cause that comes along. The message is too new to start muddying it. And I fail to see how occupying the Art Gallery lawn strikes a blow against the evils of capitalism.

The NPA should capitalize on their strong stance against this squat by putting forward a plan to turn the bark mulch mud pit into a public space worthy of the heart of the city, that would also have the salubrious benefit of rendering it unuseable for future demonstrations like this.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 1:38 AM
Bridge Walker!

BREAKING NEWS

Global news is reporting the death of a 20 year old female participant at 'Occupy Vancouver'. Cause of death not yet known.

http://www.globaltvbc.com/woman+dies...684/story.html

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 1:53 AM

End it now.

Woman dies at Occupy Vancouver site

By Mike Hager, Vancouver Sun November 5, 2011 6:18 PM

A female, who is believed in her 20s, died late Saturday afternoon at Occupy Vancouver in what Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services are calling a "medical emergency."

VFRS spokesman Capt. Gabe Roder confirmed the woman who died was in a tent, but it is unknown whether she was a resident of the tent city.

"We don't know if it's an overdose," Roder said.

Witnesses report a chaotic scene outside the Vancouver Art Gallery Saturday around 5 p.m. At least two ambulances responded the art gallery grounds. The entrance to the encampment is currently sectioned off with police tape.

More to come…

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/Woman+di...#ixzz1ct0BVjOp

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 1:56 AM

Another suspected heroin overdose, eh? Colour me shocked! More egg on the face of the city for letting this shanty town of miscreants continue.

And lol @ the cheeky writer for needlessly pointing out the irony of "Dead on Arrival" being on stage at the same time.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 1:58 AM

I've talked to some people involved with the beginnings of occupy Vancouver and it's really sad how the idealistic roots of the original organizers got hijacked by Vancouver's professional protest scene causing the cluster-f**k of what we see now. But yes, I think its reasonable to say Occupy Vancouver started with 'good' intentions at the least.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 2:00 AM

Yeah, but then the casual people went back to real life and the more hardcore element showed up with completely different intentions.

The only way to get them to go home would be to setup a jobs fair in the area.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 2:03 AM

Obviously the Occupy Vancouver site is inducing people to do heroin. Really this is another sad story of a homeless drug addict dying on the streets of Vancouver. No politics about it and nothing to be made light of.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 2:10 AM

I actually wouldn't be surprised if people were induced in to taking drugs, considering the crowd that is there. And young people do dumb things in crowds.

At this point it's a basically lawless place where anything goes, and where there's no shortage of drugs and people "vulnerable" to be taking the drugs.

It certainly doesn't help that it pretty much re-enforces the (rather obvious) stereotype of the people who are there. Anyone whose seen it in person can attest...

But yes, a heroin OD in Vancouver is only newsworthy because of the location.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but then the casual people went back to real life and the more hardcore element showed up with completely different intentions.

The only way to get them to go home would be to setup a jobs fair in the area.
what good would job fairs do? these people don't want to work they want $1 a rent if not free housing so they can whine about the rich working people

but in all seriousness things are changing and changing fast with so many big companies and the working class has to take the brunt of it and society as a whole values brands more than ever, when people working minimum wage have to buy a $2000 LV bag cause so and so from TV has one... it gets all crazy

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 1:35 PM
See ya down under, mates

Unbelievable how irrationally angry some of you are at poor people. Notice how I say "some" instead of painting everyone with a wide brush.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 2:29 PM
Bridge Walker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Unbelievable how irrationally angry some of you are at poor people. Notice how I say "some" instead of painting everyone with a wide brush.
"poor people"?? "angry"?? "irrational"??! What? Where? Is this your way of proclaiming you're a better more moral person?

What I can't figure out is how irrational the hate is for 'upper income people' by 'most' of the so-called 'occupiers' in Canada!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics