HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Which Canadian news network do you prefer?
CBC 54 60.67%
CTV 20 22.47%
Global 6 6.74%
Other 9 10.11%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
The term "red pill" was popularized by mens rights activists pissed off about feminism and remains a toxic subculture of the alt right. Nothing to do with the left.
That's your opinion, the use in the film is from the film maker (a lefty) coming to the conclusion that men's rights groups are NOT a toxic sub culture of the alt right like the toxic leftists want you to believe. Did you watch the film?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Fixed that for you. At the risk of getting into big, big trouble.
Pardon the sexist comment, they're ALL pretty. That coming from a cisgender male whatever the hell that means.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Or native, when both numbers are a minuscule part of the population.
Actually, they found a guy last week who went by “Indigiqueer”.

I’m sure the producer did somersaults when they dug him up!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:55 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
That's your opinion, the use in the film is from the film maker (a lefty) coming to the conclusion that men's rights groups are NOT a toxic sub culture of the alt right like the toxic leftists want you to believe. Did you watch the film?

That's actually kind of funny - the term has been used on the internet LONG before that "documentary" came out. Using air quotes because of where the funding was sourced from. Someone who used to be in media should know better than this.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBruge View Post
Actually, they found a guy last week who went by “Indigiqueer”.

I’m sure the producer did somersaults when they dug him up!
What is it Ben Shapiro says, find the Native, part black, trans, lesbian, little person, woman in a wheelchair and "she" can rule the world because none of the rest of us could say anything Sorry for the very bad paraphrase from memory.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
That's actually kind of funny - the term has been used on the internet LONG before that "documentary" came out. Using air quotes because of where the funding was sourced from. Someone who used to be in media should know better than this.
I am talking about how it has become popularly used today, I do know of the Matrix. As for the quotes, you might want to read Cassie Jaye's story of the funding, not as sinister as you might be thinking.

From Wikipedia

Funding

According to director Cassie Jaye she initially struggled to find financiers for a film about the men's rights movement. In an October 2015 interview with Breitbart News she said "we weren't finding executive producers who wanted to take a balanced approach, we found people who wanted to make a feminist film." Jaye instead started making the film using her own money as well as money from friends and family. She also started a campaign on the crowdfunding platform Kickstarter, which she called a last resort. The Kickstarter page, which described the project as a fair and balanced look at the men's rights movement, was strongly criticized by some feminists. The campaign raised $211,260, exceeding its goal of $97,000.

Alan Scherstuhl's review for The Village Voice suggested that many of those providing funding for the film may have themselves been men's rights activists (MRAs), thereby creating a conflict of interest. Jaye has said that the suggestion the film was funded by MRAs is "a common lie that keeps spreading". Jaye stated that "our five highest backers ... are neither MRA nor feminist. I would say three out of five of them didn't even know about the men's rights movement, but wanted to defend free speech," and that the film's backers and producers would have no influence or control of the film.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 8:04 PM
Majestic

Quote:
What is it Ben Shapiro says, find the Native, part black, trans, lesbian, little person, woman in a wheelchair and "she" can rule the world because none of the rest of us could say anything Sorry for the very bad paraphrase from memory.
Well apparently you aren't to embarrassed to say anything, so I'll leave this quote up here for posterity.

Flickr

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Fundamentally, I don't really care about this either way.

I don't know anything about this lady's particular case but in any event it's irrelevant.

What I am talking about is a generalized, growing sentiment that some people are *trying too hard*.
She's a good broadcaster, no question she does the job well. But come on, if you were going to bet on which radio/TV broadcaster that someone with that demographic profile would end up with, you'd be putting your money on CBC. They try hard.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 8:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I also readily admit that for too many decades, there were several groups in Canada that were under-represented to the point of being virtually invisible.

A correction was most definitely in order.

But my sense right now is that in some cases, we're so blatantly overcompensating that I wonder if it won't soon get to be a bit counter-productive.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 8:16 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
I am talking about how it has become popularly used today, I do know of the Matrix. As for the quotes, you might want to read Cassie Jaye's story of the funding, not as sinister as you might be thinking.

From Wikipedia

Funding

According to director Cassie Jaye she initially struggled to find financiers for a film about the men's rights movement. In an October 2015 interview with Breitbart News she said "we weren't finding executive producers who wanted to take a balanced approach, we found people who wanted to make a feminist film." Jaye instead started making the film using her own money as well as money from friends and family. She also started a campaign on the crowdfunding platform Kickstarter, which she called a last resort. The Kickstarter page, which described the project as a fair and balanced look at the men's rights movement, was strongly criticized by some feminists. The campaign raised $211,260, exceeding its goal of $97,000.

Alan Scherstuhl's review for The Village Voice suggested that many of those providing funding for the film may have themselves been men's rights activists (MRAs), thereby creating a conflict of interest. Jaye has said that the suggestion the film was funded by MRAs is "a common lie that keeps spreading". Jaye stated that "our five highest backers ... are neither MRA nor feminist. I would say three out of five of them didn't even know about the men's rights movement, but wanted to defend free speech," and that the film's backers and producers would have no influence or control of the film.

Hahaha.

Good god. It became popular on reddit years before the documentary was made. Just like everyone knew who Cassie Jaye was and what her agenda was before it was made (not exactly a no name personality online).

Performative identity politics isn't a product of the "radical left". It finds a comfortable home with culture warriors of all stripes. Case in point.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 8:18 PM

CBC is the only one that is even remotely worth watching. CTV and Global are garbage. I'm not normally one to be extreme, but on this question it's true.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 8:19 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
What are they, because a whole lotta people seem to be wondering about it. So how about it, when has a leftist gone too far in their ideology so mainstream leftists will disengage from them?
Quote:
I am very interested in hearing rousseau's viewpoint, as he is one of my favourite posters on here. And I am also one of those who is wondering.
Thanks. Aside from the obvious US example of the Clinton-Sanders split versus Trump's alt-right big tent, there are loads of examples of extreme left chicanery that the mainstream left/centre-left consider out of bounds: Antifa, anarchists marching in streets and breaking windows, and the identitarian nonsense going on in universities right now come to mind.

With people on the right generally being more binary and farther along the spectrum when it comes to simplistic thinking (right/wrong, good/bad, us/them etc.), they see nuance and engagement in discussion by the reasonable left/centre-left as tantamount to endorsement. It's the extreme/identitarian/SJW left with the free speech problem right now. The malaise in academia that Jordan Peterson et al. are pushing back against is needed, and from what I can tell the left is hardly monolithic when it comes to the positions people hold on this. The "no-platform" idiots are noisy and have signs, but they don't represent the mushy, apathetic lefty middle.

I think we're trying to measure tacit endorsement on the left and right here. It's pretty obvious that the crazies on the right have infused into the conservative mainstream to a far, far greater degree than on the other side of the political spectrum. Because Trump. And Palin, Bush Jr and Reagan. Principled conservatives decrying the extremist right get drowned out in the hub-bub because the US skews so heavily to the right in a First World context.

Think about it: if you wrote a movie script ten years ago about buffoonish US president in which he comments on a Nazi/white nationalist rally in Virginia by saying "there are very fine people on both sides," it would have been turned down for being too far-fetched.

And you think the right has clearer boundaries than the left? Are you high?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
Well apparently you aren't to embarrassed to say anything, so I'll leave this quote up here for posterity.
And the problem is what? That's as lame a response as the old calling a conservative a racist gag to get them on the defensive. It was a joke with a large portion of intersectionality hierarchy craziness thrown in.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Hahaha. It became popular on reddit years before the documentary was made.
Hahaha, I think I explained that.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 8:23 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
She's a good broadcaster, no question she does the job well. But come on, if you were going to bet on which radio/TV broadcaster that someone with that demographic profile would end up with, you'd be putting your money on CBC. They try hard.
This seems like a specularly strong hiring bias. Maybe this is OK for a crown corporation if it's in certain directions but not others?

I'm not sure of the legality. Could you explicitly declare "we will only hire certain gender/racial groups to counteract historic oppression" without opening your company up to a lawsuit? What if you have, say, a nonprofit women's rights group? Would it be okay to hire only women? Could you get around rules against gender discrimination by saying that women happen to be the only people who are qualified for a certain job?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
there are loads of examples of extreme left chicanery that the mainstream left/centre-left consider out of bounds: Antifa, anarchists marching in streets and breaking windows, and the identitarian nonsense going on in universities right now come to mind.

Totally agree, then why hasn't the left distanced themselves from these groups and their activities, the right does.

What's with the insults? Another leftist ploy, where are the old time liberals, at least they could debate without name calling.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 8:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Thanks. Aside from the obvious US example of the Clinton-Sanders split versus Trump's alt-right big tent, there are loads of examples of extreme left chicanery that the mainstream left/centre-left consider out of bounds: Antifa, anarchists marching in streets and breaking windows, and the identitarian nonsense going on in universities right now come to mind.

With people on the right generally being more binary and farther along the spectrum when it comes to simplistic thinking (right/wrong, good/bad, us/them etc.), they see nuance and engagement in discussion by the reasonable left/centre-left as tantamount to endorsement. It's the extreme/identitarian/SJW left with the free speech problem right now. The malaise in academia that Jordan Peterson et al. are pushing back against is needed, and from what I can tell the left is hardly monolithic when it comes to the positions people hold on this. The "no-platform" idiots are noisy and have signs, but they don't represent the mushy, apathetic lefty middle.

I think we're trying to measure tacit endorsement on the left and right here. It's pretty obvious that the crazies on the right have infused into the conservative mainstream to a far, far greater degree than on the other side of the political spectrum. Because Trump. And Palin, Bush Jr and Reagan. Principled conservatives decrying the extremist right get drowned out in the hub-bub because the US skews so heavily to the right in a First World context.

Think about it: if you wrote a movie script ten years ago about buffoonish US president in which he comments on a Nazi/white nationalist rally in Virginia by saying "there are very fine people on both sides," it would have been turned down for being too far-fetched.

Thanks for that.

I don't care much about what goes on in the conservative camp, other than to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't do too much damage that will affect the rest of us.

But honestly, as someone who probably has similar leanings to mine, don't you find that it's increasingly difficult to be a reasonable lefty?

I mean,

I am racist just because I am not keen on the message that full face veils on women send to girls in our society?

I am a knuckle-dragging Trump deplorable because I don't think that the handling of illegal immigrants with kids by the U.S. in recent months is the EXACT SAME THING as Nazi concentration camps?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 8:32 PM

Quote:
I am racist just because I am not keen on the message that full face veils on women send to girls in our society?

I am a knuckle-dragging Trump deplorable because I don't think that the handling of illegal immigrants with kids by the U.S. in recent months is the EXACT SAME THING as Nazi concentration camps?
Yeah you are, because I'm a right winger who believes in gun control and socialized medicine.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 8:32 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Totally agree, then why hasn't the left distanced themselves from these groups and their activities, the right does.

What's with the insults?
The insults are because you just said that the left doesn't distance itself from the crazies while "the right does."

The right voted in Donald Trump, fer crissakes.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 8:36 PM

Quote:
The insults are because you just said that the left doesn't distance itself from the crazies while "the right does."

The right voted in Donald Trump, fer crissakes.
So instead of making a reasonable argument you insult, nice!

Clinton lost. Never before in US history has a side not taken a loss and moved on. Put the shoe on the other foot, you guys would be screaming bloody murder if Democratic politicians were hounded in public and kicked out of restaurants, you support that?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada