HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Any specific times you're looking for? Early construction? Right before opening? I have some shots I can share.
Early construction is cool, so long as you can start to see things taking shape. I'd be really interested to see some photos just before the highway opened though. Thanks.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 7:32 PM
City of Blinding Lights

So is the Stoney Bridge over the Bow River part of the Stoney/Nose Hill interchange? Will it be build concurrently?

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 7:41 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
So is the Stoney Bridge over the Bow River part of the Stoney/Nose Hill interchange? Will it be build concurrently?
No, not part of the contract. The twin bridge over the CPR tracks however, is part of the contract.

I think we will only see the twinning of the river bridge when the HWY 1 to HWY 8 portion goes ahead.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Early construction is cool, so long as you can start to see things taking shape. I'd be really interested to see some photos just before the highway opened though. Thanks.
Tried to get a variety for you. Mostly 16th Avenue and Deerfoot Trail.

Very early grading at 16th Avenue

16th Avenue taken during the first summer season I'd guess

McKnight Boulevard

A really deep trench along Deerfoot Trail. You could barely see if you were driving by on Deerfoot

Deerfoot Trail Interchange getting close to completion

More Deerfoot

16th Avenue Interchange near completion

Paving finishing up along 16th Avenue

Politicians getting their face time on opening day

Shot from where the press conference thingy happened

Imageshack was being a douche with one image. I'll try again later.

I got these images from various sources (mainly emails) throughout the project, I don't know where all of them originate from and I would prefer if they don't leave this page.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 7:29 PM
not a NIMBY

Stoney Trail NW by LUMIN8, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 3:35 PM

Bridge girders are up on the Glenmore/Stoney interchange as of the weekend, yet another bridge that they've gone with steel girders rather then concrete. Several of the bridge spans at 88th/22X are getting closer, and there appeared to be a number of trucks of steel girders waiting down in that area as well over the weekend. Quite a bit of work happening all weekend too, didn't look like they took any days off as every day including Friday there was flagmen on 22x just west of 88th.

The closure of 88th Street north of 22x to 146th Ave has been postponed until later in April (was supposed to be closed in March) though I'd recommend not going on 88th as its in pretty bad shape again.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Quite a bit of work happening all weekend too, didn't look like they took any days off as every day including Friday there was flagmen on 22x just west of 88th.

The closure of 88th Street north of 22x to 146th Ave has been postponed until later in April (was supposed to be closed in March) though I'd recommend not going on 88th as its in pretty bad shape again.
I was chatting with someone who works on the job, and it sounds like they're pretty behind schedule right now, which would explain working through the long weekend. We might end up seeing them work 24/7 near the end.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 1:45 AM
Home of Hyperchange

The province recently put some money to good use and erected a bunch of signs on the NW portion (I assume on the NE too, haven't been out that way recently). These signs proudly inform us that we are in fact on Stoney Trail, and it's thanks to the province.

I'm a bit mystified as to their purpose, and why they went up NOW of all times.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
The province recently put some money to good use and erected a bunch of signs on the NW portion (I assume on the NE too, haven't been out that way recently). These signs proudly inform us that we are in fact on Stoney Trail, and it's thanks to the province.

I wish that those signs were copay with the political party (be it municipal, provincial or federal) erecting them. I see them mostly as a waste of money and used primarily as political advertisement.

It's an election year isn't..... still mystified?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 7:26 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolfire View Post
I wish that those signs were copay with the political party (be it municipal, provincial or federal) erecting them. I see them mostly as a waste of money and used primarily as political advertisement.

OK, I'll admit that sometimes (some would say often) I'm extremely stupid, and this is one of those times. This was not an attempt on my part to be clever, or rhetorical. I just completely did not make the connection.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolfire View Post

The administration (especially AB Transportation) has a vested interest in keeping the politico status quo, as does the maintenance consortium that runs Stoney Trail.

If Wildrose gets into government, then infrastructure dollars will evaporate in about 3 years, costing jobs within the bureaucracy and dry up prospects for future road and transport projects.

If Wildrose gets in, it will be clean out the desks time for most of the Assistant Deputy Ministers and Deputy Ministers who have spent an entire career (20+ years) under the same administration.

I ciuld easily forsee a situation where the signs were designed by AB Transportation and then erected under the existing fixed price maintenance contract, hence no additional dollars were spent by the taxpayer. If I was incharge of the maintenance consortium, I would be doing powerpoint presentation till the cows come home pitching the idea for no cost to the government, just to get the possibility of of a government with future project rather than a government with no future projects but lots of tax rebates.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post

Kinda like the ones along the Trans Canada in BC which boldly state that the province is going to twin the highway from Kamloops to the Alberta Border? I like that one.

I think those signs on Stoney are just part of showing that the TUC is special land separate from the City. You should be seeing them along the portion of the TUC South of 16th Ave NW soon too.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 7:44 PM
Closed account

The citiesmatter.ca website has posted their replies to the SWCRR questions by all 5 main parties:

http://www.citiesmatter.ca/search/la...%20Ring%20Road

The NDP do not seem to understand that this is a provincial road, though all support a Tsuu T'ina option. No one seems to like the 5 alternatives presented last year.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
The NDP do not seem to understand that this is a provincial road, though all support a Tsuu T'ina option.
Do not seem? More like, they really do think it's a city problem. Wow.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 7:56 PM

Stoney & Nose Hill

So does anyone have info as to the timeline for construction of Stoney and Nose Hill interchange that seems to have begun.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 8:00 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by balz View Post
So does anyone have info as to the timeline for construction of Stoney and Nose Hill interchange that seems to have begun.
Anticipated Project Schedule.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 6:52 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I was chatting with someone who works on the job, and it sounds like they're pretty behind schedule right now, which would explain working through the long weekend. We might end up seeing them work 24/7 near the end.
I find it a little baffling they would be behind schedule after the mild winter we had.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 3:36 PM

Was down in the far SE during the day on the weekend, and theres quite a bit of progress visible now on Stoney. Girders going up on a second bridge at the 22X/88th/Stoney interchange, piers completed and well underway at Deerfoot and Glenmore is pretty far along too.

In the NW the abutments for the twinned CPR bridge are coming along, the north one appears to be poured or ready to be poured.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 8:58 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I don't follow this that much. What is the latest opening date for 17th ave SE down to 22x?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 9:48 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I don't follow this that much. What is the latest opening date for 17th ave SE down to 22x?
Fall 2013 was the scheduled opening date from the beginning, I would think that's still the plan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure