HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 11:36 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
That's some great journalism right there...
Ur dewing it all wrong - 'That there are some gooder journalism right there.'

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 12:29 AM

While I do want longer bridges for a number of reasons, I don't want to see people misrepresent the situation to get what they want.

For instance, in the updated report on the new bridge design, it says that by the time the new SWCRR bridges and berm overtops, the SE dyke by Glenmore Landing will have long failed. I think we will see some fear-mongering about that, but the truth is, in a 1:500 flood event, that area will be in deep trouble with or without the new bridges.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 3:47 AM

"Ring Road not expected to bring extra traffic to 90 Ave: City"

What is this resident referring to? This is the first I've heard that a lake is going to essentially be paved over.

Bert Seinen, who lives near some of the planned upgrades, says his concern is with the Ring Road itself.

He said a big section of one lake will be filled in so the road can be built over top. He was told there would be compensations made for that.

“I guess they’re going to build a lake somewhere else and put up signs so the frogs will know where to go? It’s just silliness,” he said.

Source: https://www.metronews.ca/news/calgar...form=hootsuite

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 4:16 AM
Moran supreme

Where is this supposed lake?

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Where is this supposed lake?
That's what I would like to know. You would think filling in a large portion of a lake would have had environmentalists up in arms years ago.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 5:07 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

OMG is he talking about a retention pond or something ?

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 8:13 PM

I think he is talking about the Clay Marsh that is on the Tsuut'ina Nation reserve. It's actually a fairly significant size.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/50%...!4d-114.143611

In earlier designs the Province came up with a few alternative routes so that the marsh would not be impacted, but they were not practical (took out houses etc.) so the road was designed to take out about 40%, leaving 60% alone. However, in 2013 when the altered alignment was released, it shifted the road directly into the marsh's path, and is now entirely taking it out.

I believe that the wetland replacement policy will see the same amount of wetlands re-created, but the Nation has said that they don't want it replaced on their land, so I'm not sure where it would go. Somewhere in the general region I believe.

You can see on page 2 of this PDF that the road covers the marsh entirely: https://www.transportation.alberta.c...ing%20Road.pdf

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
I think he is talking about the Clay Marsh that is on the Tsuut'ina Nation reserve. It's actually a fairly significant size.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/50%...!4d-114.143611

In earlier designs the Province came up with a few alternative routes so that the marsh would not be impacted, but they were not practical (took out houses etc.) so the road was designed to take out about 40%, leaving 60% alone. However, in 2013 when the altered alignment was released, it shifted the road directly into the marsh's path, and is now entirely taking it out.

I believe that the wetland replacement policy will see the same amount of wetlands re-created, but the Nation has said that they don't want it replaced on their land, so I'm not sure where it would go. Somewhere in the general region I believe.

You can see on page 2 of this PDF that the road covers the marsh entirely: https://www.transportation.alberta.c...ing%20Road.pdf
I find it interesting that the Tsuu T'ina doesn't want the marsh to be replaced on their land. Do you have any idea of why?

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
I find it interesting that the Tsuu T'ina doesn't want the marsh to be replaced on their land. Do you have any idea of why?
Why would they want it on their land?

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Exactly my thoughts too. Why would they want to take what may be land that can potentially generate $$$ and turn it completely non-productive if they don't have to.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Exactly my thoughts too. Why would they want to take what may be land that can potentially generate $$$ and turn it completely non-productive if they don't have to.
If the marsh was originally on their land and they're supposedly so concerned about the environment they shouldn't have a problem with having another marsh. I'm not saying they should have no say where it goes but given all the extra land they were given I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden every last square inch of their land is developable. The optics are bad for them as far as I'm concerned.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Marshes have lots of benefits that's why.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/wetlands/benefits.html

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
If the marsh was originally on their land and they're supposedly so concerned about the environment they shouldn't have a problem with having another marsh. I'm not saying they should have no say where it goes but given all the extra land they were given I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden every last square inch of their land is developable. The optics are bad for them as far as I'm concerned.
The marsh is already destroyed, building a new one doesn't actually achieve anything other than make a few faux environmentalists feel better.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 2:04 PM

Re-reading the documents, there was willingness by the Nation to have the marsh replacement occur on Nation land at a 1:1 ratio when it was just a portion of the marsh. A concern arose because I believe the replacement policy sometimes requires a 3:1 ratio, so taking up three times as much area with a wetland as was originally there.

The Nation did not want to lose that much land on an already restricted reserve, so would have accommodated the replacement, but not the extra that may have been required.

These discussions took place when the marsh was only partially affected, and the new wetlands were going to be added to the unaffected north end of the marsh, but since the alignment change, I don't have any info about the replacement efforts of the entire marsh.

Quote:
The marsh is already destroyed, building a new one doesn't actually achieve anything other than make a few faux environmentalists feel better.
Of course it achieves something. It provides habitat to a large number of species, and plays a role in water management for the local area.

Last edited by 5seconds; May 27, 2017 at 2:25 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 3:00 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Man you're a great resource for just about anything associated with this project 5seconds.
So glad you are a contributor here - thanks again for sharing you're knowledge.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Building a new one will achieve the same benefits as the existing one.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Man you're a great resource for just about anything associated with this project 5seconds.
So glad you are a contributor here - thanks again for sharing you're knowledge.
Thanks! It's no problem, I love talking about this stuff!

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 1:26 AM

Quote:
The Nation did not want to lose that much land on an already restricted reserve, so would have accommodated the replacement, but not the extra that may have been required.
Sorry for the tangential question, but how many people are officially part of the Nation, and how many acres is it that you're considering constrained for them?

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 3:05 PM
#YYC

Quote:
A concern arose because I believe the replacement policy sometimes requires a 3:1 ratio, so taking up three times as much area with a wetland as was originally there.
Your belief is correct. I deal with this regularly.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Sorry for the tangential question, but how many people are officially part of the Nation, and how many acres is it that you're considering constrained for them?
I wouldn't want to give up more of my land, to compensate for a project that is already on my previous land.

If the province is forced to buy the land under the dry reservoir in Springbank instead of buying easements, can put it somewhere proximate to there!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure