HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 6:16 PM

how much space does utsa have to grow outwards.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
A new office building ($15 million) will break ground later this month:

Update:

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
A new 5-level parking garage ($30 million) will break ground later this year adjacent to the Main Building:

East Parking Garage will break ground in March.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 10:57 PM

Three hundred new trees will be planted at UTSA this Spring.

All landscaping is being done in accordance to the master plan.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 11:10 PM

$40 million on-campus student housing development will break ground this summer.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 4:20 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Looks nice... Where are the people that they plan on sticking into that dorm going to park? They oversold Housing permits this year, and will probably oversell them in perpetuity. If I come home any later than 11 p.m. I have to circle for an hour or so before I get to park.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 4:39 AM

Why should people living on campus need cars? There's a bus system that will get you everywhere you need to go. UTSA is trying to discourage a car culture, which only makes sense as they shift away from being a commuter campus.

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 4:43 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boquillas View Post
Why should people living on campus need cars? There's a bus system that will get you everywhere you need to go. UTSA is trying to discourage a car culture, which only makes sense as they shift away from being a commuter campus.
Why should people living on campus need cars? It is a suburban campus, not an urban one. Do you know how many bus routes pass near or on campus? Two or three... and they go absolutely nowhere interesting.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 5:02 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

There's an express route downtown that my friend uses a lot. Pretty frequent service, and free wifi

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
There's an express route downtown that my friend uses a lot. Pretty frequent service, and free wifi
Downtown is not interesting. Downtown is an overpriced tourist trap. Take me to the dollar theatre without a transfer, and I'll gladly leave my car parked at all times.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 7:09 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Downtown is not interesting. Downtown is an overpriced tourist trap. Take me to the dollar theatre without a transfer, and I'll gladly leave my car parked at all times.
Well I meet my friend from UTSA at least once a week to hang out downtown and we usually have a pretty good time (always sober, I might add), so maybe you should work with less general statements in the future. Sorry you don't find downtown very interesting, but you shouldn't talk like you speak for the whole damn city.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Alamo Plaza and parts of the Riverwalk might be an overpriced tourist trap, but step inside Rosario's or La Tuna or Liberty Bar or Casbeers or Tito's or La Gloria or go check out SAMA or Blue Star or Mission Concepcion or San Fernando for cryin' out loud. Look at the city from 600 feet up, watch the Spurs play, go to the Pearl farmer's market, get some Mango Ice Cream at the Menger. And FYI, you can put a bike on any bus.

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Why should people living on campus need cars? It is a suburban campus, not an urban one.
Gotta love being dependent/prisoner to you're vehicle.
It will take time, but it is a good thing that UTSA is developing the new buildings with walking humans in mind. I would hope that we could redevelop the older suburban strip malls to ped-friendly centers and give more people the option of walking/biking, and give those that can't drive (elderly,disabled or kids) the freedom to not rely on chauffeurs (parents) to get them anywhere.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Gotta love being dependent/prisoner to you're vehicle.
It will take time, but it is a good thing that UTSA is developing the new buildings with walking humans in mind. I would hope that we could redevelop the older suburban strip malls to ped-friendly centers and give more people the option of walking/biking, and give those that can't drive (elderly,disabled or kids) the freedom to not rely on chauffeurs (parents) to get them anywhere.
Oh I agree. For the people going to UTSA in five to ten years this place will be amazing. However, owning a car is still necessary in this town.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2011, 7:52 AM

FYI there are several reasons parking in the area sucks:

The city restricts parking lot development over aquifer recharge zone. All of the new student apartments have horrible parking problems. They are allowed less than 1 parking spot per resident & no visitor parking.

The school is only allowed to used designated funding (parking permit sales & fines) to construct parking lots/garages. No tuition, endowment, etc. can be used for parking purposes.

UTSA doesn't plan to construct ANY new surface parking lots. The master plan calls for parking garages to replace existing lots. Parking garages are more expensive & require more planning. East Parking Garage will break ground next month to add parking for 1,200 cars.

The school will also begin construction around campus to enhance roads. Many roads will be re-configured as outlined in the master plan. New trees will also be planted to line the roadways.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 3:02 AM

Quote:
The school will also begin construction around campus to enhance roads. Many roads will be re-configured as outlined in the master plan. New trees will also be planted to line the roadways.
Hopefully these new roads will allow street parking like the master plan shows. Thats a good use of asphalt without technically adding more parking lots.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 4:27 AM

j

Last edited by jaramana; Jun 8, 2013 at 12:57 AM. Reason: grammer

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio