HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 1:08 AM

PHOENIX | The Hexahedron | 3,000 FT / 914 M | VISION

COMMENTARY

Even though there has been a considerable amount of building at Arcosonti, to me Hexahedron represents one of the most pure expressions of Paolo’s ideas. The design has always moved me. This is a habitat for a 100 thousand people. The structure is about 3,000 feet high - a human made mountain. It is composed of two offset, inverted, pyramids - simple forms that, because of their relationship to one another, create an amazing Armature that frames a great variety of spaces. This Armature - this mountain - would be encrusted with landscaping and inside and outside “lots” where “buildings” for various purposes would be built. The building would never end - The Armature providing services, context and unity, the encrustation of landscape and specific structures a rich, always changing diversity. I would love to build Hexahedron. I think that it would be one of the great works of all time.

It is important to IMAGINE - to think through - what amenities a structure like this would provide that are nearly impossible to accomplish any other way. For one, the ability to walk to and have access, within a few minutes, to any one (or grouping) of a 100,000 people. The traditional “flat” city cannot provide this and it fails to do so at great expense. Because of the shape, configuration and size of the structure, it creates both landscape and micro climate. A layered approach to the exposure to this weather can provide an almost endless variety of landscape contexts with a minimal amount of mechanical tempering. The design is essentially a cube on a bias configured with an offset that creates a large open park about 1,500 feet into the air. This is a way to get the best of the Medieval city [rbtfBook], combine it with the best of modern technology and create a new form. The STREET [rbtfBook], particularly, can find an expression here that we have not see in centuries. A great deal of the food required by the population would be grown in/on the building, as well as, upon the immediate ground landscape below the structure and that surrounding the structure. Major services and transportation is provided in the vertical supporting columns of Hexahedron with the heavy technology below ground under it. Access to the natural surrounding landscape is a matter of a few minutes for each citizen - a maximum of 700 steps and a vertical drop. The size of the population equals a comfortable political unit - a small “city-state” capable of diversity, “replacement” [rbtfBook] and self-rule. One could imagine how a city like this, with some kind of theme and basin-of-attraction would play out over a couple of hundred years.

Designing Hexahedron will not be easy - there are many habits to break. The mechanical engineering will be challenging. The structural and physical building aspects, while massive in scale, do not, in themselves, present huge challenges except for one aspect. Remote Arcologies will present transportation challenges (during the construction phase, which can take decades) while those close to existing cities will offer political and transitional (social as wells as technological) challenges. However, if you look at the annual expansion of a city like Calgary or Los Vegas is can be seen that the scale of localized Urban/suburban building is not inadequate to that necessary for the making of Hexahedron. It is just that these are two opposed design strategies and the existing system-in-place (from zoning, politics, economics, infrastructure, ownership, social conventions, and power-bases) is tuned to the creation of horizontal spread.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 5:39 PM

It looks like an evil spaceship....

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 10:10 AM
All aboard the Failboat

Darth Vader would love this place

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 3:21 PM

Is this thing called the Phoenix, or is it meant to be constructed in Phoenix? Just for the record, Arcosanti is almost 100 miles north of Phoenix, in the central plateau (high deserts and mesas) of central Arizona, about halfway between Phoenix and Flagstaff.

The costs of such a structure would be astronomical. It presently costs about $80 million to build a slender 34-story tower in Phoenix (unfurnished), to $350 million for a much larger, wider furnished hotel. This building is ten times taller, hundreds of times larger in interior volume, and the design will present some engineering challenges, since the entire weight of the upper half of the pyramid (40% of the entire structure) must be carried by six somewhat slender pillars. I would expect such a building to cost upwards of $2 billion to construct.

--don

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 3:46 PM
arf

Okay, I've got my imagination hat on and I'm not seeing it.

I have a hard time imagining it can house and grow "most of the food" for 100,000 habitats. Unless the definition of the immediate vicinity is a few dozen kilometers away. Certainly not 100,000 average Americans. Maybe 100,000 top-models surviving on a handful of lentils and a diet pepsi a day.

A maximum of 700 steps to get out of the pyramid. Has the designer hiked up or down 700 steps before? Seriously. 300ft is a pretty fair haul to get to one of the vertical drops in a few minutes. I'm guessing this design is not for the disabled. Will those who lose their mobility be ejected from the arc at appropriate intervals?

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. View Post
Is this thing called the Phoenix, or is it meant to be constructed in Phoenix?
It's called the Hexahedron. Phoenix is supposed to be the location, but I guess they must have meant it as the general area.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. View Post
I would expect such a building to cost upwards of $2 billion to construct.

--don

I would expect it to cost much more than that. Consider the CHI Spire, at a cost of apprx. 2 billion. This looks like it would be at least twice as much, IMAO.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 4:16 PM
Dbacks baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post

It looks like an evil spaceship....
LOL yeah. If something that looked like that landed in my backyard, I would definitely run the other way. Forget the salutations and please allow me to take you to our leader formalities.

Kidding aside, that is one very unusual looking structure. Definitely visionary.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 7:08 PM

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBlake View Post
I would expect it to cost much more than that. Consider the CHI Spire, at a cost of apprx. 2 billion. This looks like it would be at least twice as much, IMAO.
You are correct, of course. Upwards of $2 billiion? Maybe 10x that amount?

--don

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 6:40 AM

It looks like the first structure aliens would build after they land on Earth.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 8:33 PM

It is a bizarre design. You could achieve the same effect for a fraction of the price with a large number of closely spaced 50 to 100 story buildings connected with sky-walks and an elevated rail system.

-Galileo Galilei

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 5:40 AM

it is currently on a sprawling mess but could be a skyscraper mess if this gets built.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 1:45 PM

I found this today.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 5:43 PM
▓▒░

Well now thats just plain cool.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 8:17 PM

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 8:35 PM

There was even a model.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 20, 2008 at 1:14 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 6:55 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

Call me crazy... but I LOVE IT!
What a shame it'll never be built.

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 3:46 AM

^
Your crazy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
There was even a model.

Truly, that belongs nowhere in United States, let alone Phoenix.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects