HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 6:07 AM

The road construction may not be the real reason for the construction stoppage/slow down. Something is suspicious...

ByJohn Maher and Shonda Novak

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

A noticeable work slowdown at Austin's Formula One racetrack site and a possible change in the track's promoter or management is raising new questions about the future of the circuit and the ability of developers to meet a tight construction schedule with the inaugural race now 14 months away.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...1-1887471.html

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 12:16 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

We will see what happens in the next month but me thinks this is just more pandering to the Anti-Formula 1 crowd, they have had several articles before that turned out to be a bunch of hogwash.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 2:18 AM
~Hook'em~

This at least has some stuff that could be cause for concern. But like Jdawg said, they have put out to many doom and gloom stories in the past regarding this stuff. I agree it is most likely just another story to sell to the anti-F1 crowd. They seem to be taking notes from Fox News on how to make crap up to please and sell your reader base best. They are getting quite good at it.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 6:17 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Construction has resumed at the site. So this as was said earlier that they were going to slow down for a couple of weeks then start up was correct. AAS needs to quite blowing things out more than they need to.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Construction has resumed at the site. So this as was said earlier that they were going to slow down for a couple of weeks then start up was correct. AAS needs to quite blowing things out more than they need to.
I think the reporter/blogger was trying to fan the flames to stir up site visits by encouraging the ridiculous anti-everything commenting that follows statesman articles. But the writer forgot that the Statesman has tempoarilly shutoff most commemting.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Do you ever watch Versus' Indy Car or Speed's F1 TV coverage? You get the race, interviews with the drivers, and blimp views of racecars on the track, that's about it. You don't get a travelogue.
When the race was in Indy Speed had a much larger program schedule than they do for the other races. They had many special feature shows and interviews with all the drivers on a set in the infield plaza, I would imagine there would be even more from the Austin race. The current Speed broadcasts are done in Charlotte over the world feed with only Will Buxton and camera/sound people at the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
The F1 race dates/schedule changes every year. The November date could be just for the first year as a hedge to make sure the track is ready.
The race at Indy had three different weekends scattered all over the calendar.

At the end of the month I am moving to Denver, I do plan on being back for the race next year and multiple races in 2013. Some motorcycle friends upo there are already wishing the MotoGP race was next year and are planning on coming to it. Among non-Nascar race fans it has generated a lot of attention.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 12:58 AM
~Hook'em~

France: NASCAR would consider race on F1 layout
Road course would be in Austin, Texas; CEO also optimistic for Montreal's future
Quote:
By David Caraviello, NASCAR.COM
October 09, 2011 4:32 PM, EDT

KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- NASCAR racing on the Formula 1 road course being constructed in Austin, Texas? It's a possibility, series chairman Brian France said Sunday at Kansas Speedway.

"There's a new facility on the horizon, if you believe what is being written about, which is down in Texas, with a big road course," France said in one of his occasional briefings with reporters. "We have some road-racing products that might be possible, too. Yeah, we'll take a look at that for sure."

The Circuit of the Americas is a $300 million project that, despite a somewhat halting development history, is tentatively slated to debut on the F1 circuit next year. France said any potential NASCAR event on the 3.4-mile circuit would not be in tandem with F1, and would not be Sprint Cup. That opens the door to possible Nationwide or Camping World Truck series races, or even the Grand-Am circuit, which NASCAR operates.

http://nationwide.nascar.com/nationw...stin-montreal/

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 9:34 PM

Austin's GP

I have watched F1 racing far many years and have noticed a disturbing trend that could negatively affect Austin's race..the World's Championship is usually decided by the early fall races..Vettle won the crown yesterday in Japan..Could this make the latter races anti-climactic, i.e., the Pro Bowl, where tickets are given out free just to put people in the seats..Austin's race will be expensive and difficult to access...With the championship race possibly already over, will people make the effort to attend ?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
I have watched F1 racing far many years and have noticed a disturbing trend that could negatively affect Austin's race..the World's Championship is usually decided by the early fall races..Vettle won the crown yesterday in Japan..Could this make the latter races anti-climactic, i.e., the Pro Bowl, where tickets are given out free just to put people in the seats..Austin's race will be expensive and difficult to access...With the championship race possibly already over, will people make the effort to attend ?
But why would they build something if they weren't sure people would attend, or what's more, not make money? I dunno, but aren't the businessmen who brought F1 to Austin, business-savvy enough to know if it would or would not make them money? Or how does this work? Did the planners know this would happen but figured a way to make a profit out of it? I don't get it, I guess is what I'm saying.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 7:13 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
But why would they build something if they weren't sure people would attend, or what's more, not make money? I dunno, but aren't the businessmen who brought F1 to Austin, business-savvy enough to know if it would or would not make them money? Or how does this work? Did the planners know this would happen but figured a way to make a profit out of it? I don't get it, I guess is what I'm saying.
Advertisers will make it profitable for the track owners. Few Nascar races are officially named after the track. A well know example is the Showtime Southern 500 which takes place at the historic track in Darlington. Showtime paid lots of money for the naming rights.
The US Grand Prix will take place at the Circuit of the Americas, wherever that is (big hint = Austin). Do you know where the F1 tracks called Spa, Silverstone, or Monza are? Be fair, without doing a google search....
Some will know Spa is in Belgium, but will most fans know the nearest city?
Some will know Silverstone is in England, but will most fans know the nearest city?
Some will know Monza is in Italy, but will most fans know the nearest city?

Likewise, some will know the Circuit of the Americas will be in the USA, but will most world fans know that it occurs in Texas near Austin?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 7:38 AM
~Hook'em~

I don't know anything about F1 so have no idea where Spa, Silverstone or Manza is, but I do know the Italian GP is in Milan so I assume Manza is somewhere near there? Is saying the Italian GP is in Manza like saying the US GP is in Elgin? lol.

No clue on the Belgian one, but the English one is out in the middle of nowhere on the the way up to Birmingham if I remember correctly. I am not sure if it is closer to London or Birmingham but it is off the M1 that way up there. So that is really not the same thing as Austin hosting a race. I am assuming that the Belgian one is the same situation as I don't really remember hearing of a race in Brussels or Antwerp. Though I am pretty sure Milan has a race.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 5:35 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
I don't know anything about F1 so have no idea where Spa, Silverstone or Manza is, but I do know the Italian GP is in Milan so I assume Manza is somewhere near there? Is saying the Italian GP is in Manza like saying the US GP is in Elgin? lol.

No clue on the Belgian one, but the English one is out in the middle of nowhere on the the way up to Birmingham if I remember correctly. I am not sure if it is closer to London or Birmingham but it is off the M1 that way up there. So that is really not the same thing as Austin hosting a race. I am assuming that the Belgian one is the same situation as I don't really remember hearing of a race in Brussels or Antwerp. Though I am pretty sure Milan has a race.
Silverstone is near Northampton, about halfway between London and Birmingham. Northampton was the home of Princess Diana, it's a fairly large city of almost 200,000 people.

Monza is near Milan, today Monza is considered a large suburb of Milan and has around 120,000 people, but was once the capital city and home of the King of Italy. The racetrack is within the park and grounds of the once King's Palace.

Spa is located near the town Spa with a population near 10,000 people, within a huge forest near the Belgium - Luxembourg frontier, and is closer to Luxembourg at near 100 km than Brussels at around 140 km. It is the home of many hotels because of the hot springs in the town. It's been a major Spa resort for Europe since the 14th Century. During World War I, German headquarters for the French campaign was based in Spa.

If you hadn't taken the time to learn a few facts about the homes of existing F1 racetracks, how many world fans do you think will take the time to learn about Austin?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 5:44 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
France: NASCAR would consider race on F1 layout
Road course would be in Austin, Texas; CEO also optimistic for Montreal's future
Yes, that could happen. But the Sprint Cup schedule is full, and racetracks are buying other racetracks to get race dates. Which race track should the Circuit of the Americas buy to get a race date for a Sprint Cup race?
Both the Camping World trucks and Nationwide tours draw few crowds unless paired with a Sprint Cup race on the same weekend, even then it is easily apparent they draw far less fans.
It's also possible that Indy Cars may wish to race in Austin. The more race dates the Circuit of the Americas gets, the more profitable it is for the owners.
But, that requires finding commercial sponsors for all the different races and series.

Last edited by electricron; Nov 15, 2011 at 8:39 PM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 2:47 AM

Update progress.

http://circuitoftheamericas.com/progress.html

Starting to go vertical.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 4:06 AM

Retaining walls get me excited.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 6:03 PM

I'm hearing that there are troubles between Bernie and COTA..As if dealing with the no-growth nudniks wasn't enough, this crap arrives.Can this city pull anything off without a screw-up?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 7:49 PM

Bernie is bi polar and everyone has to deal with it...

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 8:27 PM

Construction stopped on F1 track:
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte..._construc.html

No funds for F1 from the state in advance:
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...funds_for.html

Bummer. Sounds like it's not going to happen.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 3:53 AM

This is upsetting.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 7:13 AM

We're missing some important information. The hardest part of this project should have been securing $300 million to build the track during during a recession. That seems to have been accomplished relatively easilly, so stopping this during construction makes no sense. Unless Bernie and his lapdog Tavo are content to just have the New York area race as the only American race.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin