HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2661  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 2:32 AM
MidTenn1's Avatar
MidTenn1 MidTenn1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nashville
Posts: 536
Maybe the worst reveal of a rendering for a proposed project. This was accidentally discovered on an aerial view map as a logo for a proposed 30 story building at the Korean Veterans Boulevard (KVB). The project was first promoted some months ago, but no information has been released otherwise. Until now.

Skidmore Owings and Merrill are the architects. Take it for what it's worth.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2662  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 3:09 PM
MidTenn1's Avatar
MidTenn1 MidTenn1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nashville
Posts: 536
Unapologetically bumping this to a new page. Too new to be forgotten already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
NASHVILLE YARDS development plans revealed......from the TENNESSEAN

Better detail at the website....

Looks to have four buildings at 23+ stories and several other 10+ story buildings. Possibly a couple of 40s. No word on schedule.



It includes the first look at the 23 story, 591 room Hyatt Regency Hotel scheduled to start soon.





Been waiting on this one. It looks promising. The owner of the Phoenix Suns is primarily behind this.


Nashville...catching up! LOL!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2663  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 9:08 PM
ariesjow ariesjow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 309
Update on planned W Hotel

Larger 350-room W hotel planned for Gulch site, luxury apartments nixed from project

Quote:
The W luxury hotel planned for the Gulch will be larger with roughly 350 rooms, but residential units are no longer planned as part of the overall project.

On Tuesday, Nashville-based Corner Partnership and Magellan Development of Chicago will present revised plans to the Metro Development and Housing Agency's design review committee.

"Our partnership goal is to develop a very special luxury lifestyle hotel that fuses design, fashion and music in a way that differentiates our property from any other in the Nashville market," Corner Partnership and Magellan Development said in a joint statement signed by Mark Bloom of the Nashville-based investment group.

In March 2016, the design review committee approved conceptual plans for a 16-story project with 250 hotel rooms, more than 200 luxury apartments and restaurant spaces at both Laurel and Pine streets.

Under new plans that the developers submitted to MDHA, the entrance to the W hotel will be on 12th Avenue South across the Twelve Twelve condo tower.

The overall 1.29-acre Griffin Plaza site where the project is planned is on 12th Avenue between Laurel and Pine streets.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2664  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 2:37 AM
MidTenn1's Avatar
MidTenn1 MidTenn1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nashville
Posts: 536
The latest rendering...



Not sure what the 'GH' on the roof is.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2665  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 1:42 PM
MidTenn1's Avatar
MidTenn1 MidTenn1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nashville
Posts: 536
My updated picture of the Nashville Hotel Pipeline....(10+ floors in the urban core)



Does not include the 'One World' or West End Summit proposals. And there may be a couple on the chart that are starting to look uncertain. They will be replaced with something else, no doubt.

Edited per comments:

Last edited by MidTenn1; Jun 20, 2017 at 10:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2666  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 10:28 PM
MidTenn1's Avatar
MidTenn1 MidTenn1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nashville
Posts: 536
Great Skyline shot from Channel Five's copter.


Last edited by MidTenn1; Jun 30, 2017 at 9:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2667  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 3:24 PM
PillowTalk4 PillowTalk4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Greater Wasshington, DC
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
Great Skyline shot from Channel Five's copter.

When the 5th and Broadway project is completed that will really fill in the gap that is in the center of that skyline shot. And, if Nashville Yards is developed as planned, it'll really extend the skyline westward. Though I hope they really consider adding more height to their proposed development.

I wish the shot had incorporated more of the area near the arena. I'd like to see how the additions under construction are starting to impact that area. It would be nice if photo's like this one would become the primary shots of Nashville over the ones featuring primarily the Batman building. I so wish HGTV would update the skyline pictures they use on their various shows.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2668  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 1:49 AM
MidTenn1's Avatar
MidTenn1 MidTenn1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nashville
Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
When the 5th and Broadway project is completed that will really fill in the gap that is in the center of that skyline shot. And, if Nashville Yards is developed as planned, it'll really extend the skyline westward. Though I hope they really consider adding more height to their proposed development.

I wish the shot had incorporated more of the area near the arena. I'd like to see how the additions under construction are starting to impact that area. It would be nice if photo's like this one would become the primary shots of Nashville over the ones featuring primarily the Batman building. I so wish HGTV would update the skyline pictures they use on their various shows.
I agree. I hope we can capture in a similar shot in a couple of years the cluster of seven hotels to be constructed just to the lower left of the picture. Add the 25 story office and 32 story residential at 5th+Main and the two 40 story NCI buildings on 1st. That's 11 more buildings to add to that picture. And this does not include all of the Gulch, West SoBro, Nashville Yards and midtown (15 to 20 significant buildings?).

We're going to need a wider lens.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2669  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 4:17 AM
MidTenn1's Avatar
MidTenn1 MidTenn1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nashville
Posts: 536
I overlaid a recent aerial photo of the Nashville skyline with proposed buildings and some just beginning construction. All have a reasonably good chance of being built. This view does not include the Gulch or Mid Town.



The large building at the roundabout is the 30 story, One KVB Circle (my best guess as to size and shape).

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2670  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 1:50 PM
Dale Dale is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Orlando
Posts: 3,531
Impressive, but hoping for more highrise development north of Broadway to counter-balance the massive number of additions to the south.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2671  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 6:22 PM
Baronakim's Avatar
Baronakim Baronakim is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Impressive, but hoping for more highrise development north of Broadway to counter-balance the massive number of additions to the south.
Don't forget all of the massive Nashville Yards development is north of Broadway and the new federal courthouse (though not particularly tall nor well designed) is also starting soon. Also the mayor is looking for Tony G and other developers for some very tall "skinny towers" on some of the vacant parking lots off Church Street. After you take all of those under consideration, there are not a lot of good building sites left available. I really don't want to see any more of the older buildings on 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Avenues demolished as that is the main historic Nashville still standing. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what buildings would be desirable to knock down for your proposed highrises?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2672  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 2:02 AM
Dale Dale is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Orlando
Posts: 3,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronakim View Post
Don't forget all of the massive Nashville Yards development is north of Broadway and the new federal courthouse (though not particularly tall nor well designed) is also starting soon. Also the mayor is looking for Tony G and other developers for some very tall "skinny towers" on some of the vacant parking lots off Church Street. After you take all of those under consideration, there are not a lot of good building sites left available. I really don't want to see any more of the older buildings on 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Avenues demolished as that is the main historic Nashville still standing. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what buildings would be desirable to knock down for your proposed highrises?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2673  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 2:36 PM
MidTenn1's Avatar
MidTenn1 MidTenn1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nashville
Posts: 536
Problems with photobucket...or SSP. My UP pictures are posting just fine!!!!!

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2674  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 2:40 PM
PillowTalk4 PillowTalk4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Greater Wasshington, DC
Posts: 275
I don't think developers are all the interested in demolishing buildings on 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th avenues. They seem to be more about re-purposing them over demolishing them.

As for the locations north of Broadway where there are opportunities to expand the skyline, there are a lot more locations than you might think. Some of that opportunity will depend on just how much the city is willing to let go of views of the Capitol.

So, excluding the Nashville Yards area, you have the North Gulch. I'm not sure where the Gulch becomes North, but there are plenty of surface lots behind the Tennessean between Broadway and Church Street. There are also still lots between Church and Charlotte Pike as well. The North Gulch area where the HCA building is located also will have plenty of room for more high rises. Unfortunately, the developers there seem to be interested in mid-rise buildings more so than high rises.

Then you can jump over the railroad tracks and there are huge surface lots north of Charlotte and west of Rosa Parks. You also have the TSU downtown campus parking lots that could easily be included in a garage at the base of a high rise. Arrangements would have to be made to allow TSU students and visitors to park for free.

Moving around James Robertson Parkway, you have surface parking lots and non-historical buildings that could be opportunities for buildings that are 20 stories or taller.

Again the only real obstacle is the Capitol. If Nashville wants to protect the views of the Capitol then we'll see no more tall structure the area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2675  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 5:48 PM
Baronakim's Avatar
Baronakim Baronakim is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
I don't think developers are all the interested in demolishing buildings on 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th avenues. They seem to be more about re-purposing them over demolishing them.

As for the locations north of Broadway where there are opportunities to expand the skyline, there are a lot more locations than you might think. Some of that opportunity will depend on just how much the city is willing to let go of views of the Capitol.

So, excluding the Nashville Yards area, you have the North Gulch. I'm not sure where the Gulch becomes North, but there are plenty of surface lots behind the Tennessean between Broadway and Church Street. There are also still lots between Church and Charlotte Pike as well. The North Gulch area where the HCA building is located also will have plenty of room for more high rises. Unfortunately, the developers there seem to be interested in mid-rise buildings more so than high rises.

Then you can jump over the railroad tracks and there are huge surface lots north of Charlotte and west of Rosa Parks. You also have the TSU downtown campus parking lots that could easily be included in a garage at the base of a high rise. Arrangements would have to be made to allow TSU students and visitors to park for free.

Moving around James Robertson Parkway, you have surface parking lots and non-historical buildings that could be opportunities for buildings that are 20 stories or taller.

Again the only real obstacle is the Capitol. If Nashville wants to protect the views of the Capitol then we'll see no more tall structure the area.
Yes, all those locations are available. But VERY unlikely. The question was directed to sites north of Broadway, but excluding the Gulch and Midtown as viewed in the photo submitted.

However, adding these areas to discussion..... the North Gulch at the HCA building is already filled with buildings under construction or reserved for
planned elements. No room for other proposals there. The vast parking areas at the base of the State Capitol are owned by the state mostly and you can be assured that they will not likely be sold for private development. Most likely they will be developed (in decades hence?) for state purposes as the Bicentennial Mall sites are being filled in. The parking lots at the TSU downtown I believe are included in the Nashville Yards proposal unless I have misunderstood the plans. The big lot behind NES would be an awesome site
if the Nashville buracracy would move the function to an appropriate suburban site. Older buildings wrapping around James Robertson Parkway would be ok if you could justify buying out the residential ones. Some of the low rise like CBS would be no great loss either.

Back to the original question, I would nominate the old Nashville library as it commands a very high elevation. Maybe the surface parking areas behind Hume Fogg off Commerce would be a choice site too. Other than those, I can't think of better locations. At any rate, new tall construction in Nashville is very likely to be limited to the inner interstate loop and Midtown. That is the central and south area. Germantown on the north 1/3 is going to be almost exclusively 5 or 6 story residential IMO. The big proposal for highrise on the east bank over by TOP Golf is IMO a pipe dream.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2676  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 6:25 PM
MidTenn1's Avatar
MidTenn1 MidTenn1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nashville
Posts: 536
Yesterday!



Still some buzz about the developer of this (505 Apartments, 45 stories) building even taller and skinnier (700 ft+?) next.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2677  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 2:48 PM
PillowTalk4 PillowTalk4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Greater Wasshington, DC
Posts: 275
Baronakim, I think we're on the same page realistically. We stated things a bit differently. However, I don't think the TSU parking lots are included in the Nashville Yards development. Those are technically State owned properties just like the other lots you pointed out. Although, I can see the State selling those lots or considering a partial public interest provided a parking solution is included in the any development. Of course developers are overly fond of joint projects with government entities, even parking facilities. But Bethesda, MD seems to have found a way to work with developers in building office buildings that have shared public parking garages controlled by the Montgomery County government.

I do wish the North Gulch developers would revise their plans. Like you stated, the development is pretty much defined and as I pointed out, they seem to be hell bent on mid-rise buildings than high rises. I hope that changes but I know that it probably will not. Which is why I hope the state-owned parking lots could be an option along with properties off of James Robertson Parkway. To me Jefferson Street probably should be the north boundary for high rises over 20 stories inside the CBD.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2678  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 2:51 PM
MontanaGuy MontanaGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2
MidTenn1, thanks for your comments. I was just curious if you have anything that might back up your hope for a taller and thinner building in the future. I would like to see this happen myself but I've never seen any specific quote from a potential developer or anything really solid that might give it more credibility. Do you have any sources of information (I'll even settle for gossip) that might make it seem more plausible? Thanks!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2679  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 2:52 PM
PillowTalk4 PillowTalk4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Greater Wasshington, DC
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
Yesterday!



Still some buzz about the developer of this (505 Apartments, 45 stories) building even taller and skinnier (700 ft+?) next.

I sure hope that is not just a tease....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2680  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 8:06 PM
MidTenn1's Avatar
MidTenn1 MidTenn1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nashville
Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
I sure hope that is not just a tease....
He has publicly dropped some hints.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:00 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.