HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 6:43 PM
Dérive-r

City council possibly extending liquor hours

Sounds like the City has finally realized it has outgrown some of its "small-town" policies. I know a number of forumers will be happy about this. Overall I'm in support of this.

Quote:
Vancouver city council might approve extended liquor hours

By Carlito Pablo

In a bid to soften Vancouver’s reputation as a no-fun city, council is moving closer to giving the go-ahead for longer liquor hours at certain licensed restaurants. However, a representative of the bar and club industry is warning that this may attract gangsters out for a drink.

In February this year, staff recommended an extension from the current midnight cutoff time to 1 a.m., seven days a week. But Vision Vancouver councillor Heather Deal is interested in seeing restaurants serve alcohol until 1 a.m. on weekdays and 2 a.m. on weekends.

“First of all, we are an urban city, and we still have some fairly small-town kind of policy that assumes everyone goes to bed early—and we don’t,” Deal told the Georgia Straight. “People work different hours. We have a lively younger population, and even some of our old folks stay up late. We have people who go to movies and theatre and want to go for a bite and drink afterwards. And I think we need to make that more accessible throughout the city.”

Deal said there will be a new staff report on the matter, and she said she expects overwhelming support for the measure when it comes up for discussion this month.

“It’s very much supported by, I think, all the councillors,” she said. “People feel it’s been a long time coming. There are very, very strong voices out there in the restaurant industry, the entertainment industry, and the creative industry and the music industry saying, ‘It’s time to loosen up a bit, let people go out a little bit later in the evenings. Don’t force them down to Granville Street; let people have a little more fun in their neighbourhood.’ And this is a gentle tool for that.”

There are about 1,061 restaurants—with a combined seating capacity of 157,000—in Vancouver that hold a provincial food-primary liquor licence. This means that these establishments can serve alcohol to go along with meals.

According to the city staff report in February, 62 percent of these licensed restaurants already have closing liquor hours past midnight. Forty percent can serve alcohol up to 1 a.m., while 13 percent can do so until 2 a.m. Nine percent have cutoff points at either 12:30 a.m. or 1:30 a.m.

The same report recalled that the province changed regulations for food-primary establishments in December 2002. This allowed liquor hours from 2 a.m. to 4 a.m. but required local governments to endorse these later hours.

However, since 2003, the City of Vancouver has suspended action on all new applications for post-midnight liquor hours.

A report issued by provincial health officer Dr. Perry Kendall in December 2008 noted that alcohol consumption in B.C. had increased eight percent since 2002. Liquor stores, which increased in number from 786 in 2002 to 1,294 in 2008, provided 73 percent of alcohol consumed in B.C. Bars and clubs accounted for 12 percent, and restaurants seven percent.

In Public Health Approach to Alcohol Policy: An Updated Report From the Provincial Health Officer, Kendall identified 10 best practices for managing the health and social harms associated with alcohol. One of these was “restrictions on days and hours of sale”.

Gerald Thomas, a senior policy analyst at the Centre for Addictions Research of B.C., was the principal author of Kendall’s paper. In a phone interview, Thomas said research has shown that increasing access to alcohol leads to more health and social problems. Although the extension of liquor hours in Vancouver restaurants may seem like a small move, he pointed out that this represents a “constant lessening of control over alcohol in this regard, and over time that could create more problems”.

“Most decisions around alcohol are business decisions,” Thomas said. “Money is what makes the difference here.”

Food-primary-licensed restaurants in Richmond, New Westminster, and Burnaby can serve liquor until 2 a.m. Surrey allows alcohol service up to 1 a.m. on weekdays and 2 a.m. on weekends, according to the February staff report. North Vancouver has no fixed closing-time policy, and applications are treated on a case-by-case basis.

Bars and clubs in Vancouver operate until 2 a.m. on weekdays and 3 a.m. on weekends but they are subject to stricter regulations and must provide security, according to John Teti, president of BarWatch, an organization representing these establishments.

“We already have so many restaurants operating like bars, with no regard for public safety,” Teti told the Straight. “They don’t have any door personnel, they don’t have security, they don’t have to meet the requirements, and by extending their licence till 2 a.m., it will encourage more restaurants to operate like bars.”

Teti also said extended liquor hours will attract gangsters and gang activity. “The more these places are open like bars, the harder they [criminal elements] are to control,” he said.

Lone Non-Partisan Association councillor Suzanne Anton acknowledged Teti’s concerns that some restaurants are operating like bars. However, Anton said that it’s not something that will stand in the way of her voting in favour of extended liquor hours for restaurants with food-primary licences.

“The bigger picture is we’re an international city,” Anton told the Straight, “in terms of the need in the city and people who come to the city and travelling, and people who live in the city, and people don’t all keep 9-to-5 hours anymore. Lots of people want to be up later at night for one reason or another. And, yes, I do believe the city should be able to accommodate that.”
By Carlito Pablo, The Georgia Straight

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 8:35 PM

NICE!!!!! Finally.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 9:17 PM

Awesome, step in the right direction! That, "going to the movies" example is something I have experienced often. It sucks after a movie when you want a drink but its past midnight.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 9:55 PM

First of all, I support all the above. However, 1am is still way too early...it should be 3am unless it is in heavily residential area. I've been to clubs/bars that close at 6am...and they were actually in a tourist/residential part of towns...yes, towns in Europe. I've even seen some 24/7 clubs...although they are not very common.

As for Vancouver, the small town mentality is still very omnipresent in this article. Just look at this:
Quote:
However, a representative of the bar and club industry is warning that this may attract gangsters out for a drink.
Wow, just wow...Barwatch, stop trying to pitch your shitty software/organization by spreading FUD. They use security as a cover to track places you go to and how you look like. Thankfully, this was ruled illegal. However, who knows who they sold this information to before being forced to stop storing everything permanently.

Quote:

In Public Health Approach to Alcohol Policy: An Updated Report From the Provincial Health Officer, Kendall identified 10 best practices for managing the health and social harms associated with alcohol. One of these was “restrictions on days and hours of sale”.
Thank you Rev. Kendall for sharing your moral beliefs with us. I think we are all grown up here and understand alcohol consumption isn't just all fun and no consequences. You trying to control our lives will do nothing to help people stop drinking. I guess we should have some sort of devices that forces people to exercise at least x hours per week via electric shocks? How about regulating how much TV we watch as well?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 11:12 PM

Zivan, this proposed ammendment to the bylaw applies to restaurants. Clubs with the appropriate lisences are already allowed to be open to 3AM.

Also anything the local police and entertainment industry are willing to do to keep gangsters out of the bars restaurants and clubs I frequent is A-OK by me. I`m far more worried about some punk gangsters trying to make a name for themselves than some quazi-legal market research.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Zivan, this proposed ammendment to the bylaw applies to restaurants. Clubs with the appropriate lisences are already allowed to be open to 3AM.
Yes, I'm well aware of that. Not sure what you are getting at...I am saying they all should be allowed to be open until 3am if they want and don't generate problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Also anything the local police and entertainment industry are willing to do to keep gangsters out of the bars restaurants and clubs I frequent is A-OK by me. I`m far more worried about some punk gangsters trying to make a name for themselves than some quazi-legal market research.
Well it appears you do not value your privacy. I, on the other hand, do...and don't want my name, license #, and other information being sold to anybody that wants it. Last I heard, we had something called a boucer who checked ID..if the name matches up to a do not want list, they don't let them in...pretty simple. As for restaurants, none of them are part of barwatch anyways (are there bar that are even part of barwatch?).

If barwatch wants to be legit, they could just send updates to each place with a list of known gang members and the ID scanner could compare this instantly. Instead, they choose to store everything and hoard all the information forever.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 4:32 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

If anyone wants to read the actual proposed changes do to the citys websites, it's all there. Here's an exert.

Quote:
Liquor Changes

CONCLUSION

Staff recommends that Council approve an hours of liquor service by-law amendment that allows liquor sales in restaurants until 1:00 am on weekends, and 2:00 am on weekends, throughout the City. Staff also recommends that Council approve new by-law regulations requiring sufficient sales of food in licensed restaurants. These provisions would limit liquor sales to 50% of a restaurant’s sales during any eight-hour period, to be verified by receipts, and require a full menu to be offered at all times. Staff further recommends that business license categories be consolidated so that licensed restaurants would require only one business license, and that business license fees be increased by $3.00 to provide for additional by-law enforcement. The intent of these recommendations is to allow a moderate increase in hours of liquor service, consistent with existing closing times and public sentiment, while reinforcing the distinction between Food Primary establishments and other liquor establishments. Lastly, staff recommends that Council delegate the authority to comment on Food Primary license applications to the Chief License Inspector, with the provision that she may still refer a particular amendment to Council. The intent of this recommendation is to streamline the approval process under the guidance provided by the new hours of service by-law provision.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
Yes, I'm well aware of that. Not sure what you are getting at...I am saying they all should be allowed to be open until 3am if they want and don't generate problems.
Agreed.

Quote:
Well it appears you do not value your privacy. I, on the other hand, do...and don't want my name, license #, and other information being sold to anybody that wants it. Last I heard, we had something called a boucer who checked ID..if the name matches up to a do not want list, they don't let them in...pretty simple. As for restaurants, none of them are part of barwatch anyways (are there bar that are even part of barwatch?).

If barwatch wants to be legit, they could just send updates to each place with a list of known gang members and the ID scanner could compare this instantly. Instead, they choose to store everything and hoard all the information forever.
I'm not too concerned with clubwatch having information that is already available to anyone with a phonebook. about the only thing any different is the fact that they have a picture of me and know which 4 or 5 bars/clubs i frequent, and I would much rather give up that information to feel safer when I go out. A matter of preference i suppose.

The reason they take pictures is that barwatch is constantly developing their list. the list of known gangsters in Vancouver is quite small i would imagine, relative to the amount of gang members in the city, and would be predominantly top heavy. My assumption is that most of the would-be trouble makers in bars are lower level gang members who are likely un-known to barwatch. By taking pictures they can retroactively trace back throught the pictures and match the offender up with the id and use it to prosecute and bar from cooperating establishments. The albeit more invasive bar watch procedure acomplishes much more than a simple check of id against a no-entry list, but at a high cost. Whehter that cost is justified is highly subjective and no definitive answer exists. I guess all taht one can do if they feel strongly enough is not frequent barwatch supporting establishments, or only frequent barwatch establishments, depending on their viewpoint.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 2:11 PM
BANNED

Looks like it's game on!

About time. I'm amazed that it was unanimous. Seems like there is a real move towards making vancouver a real city

http://scoutmagazine.ca/2009/10/08/r...service-hours/

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 3:16 PM

i don't think it's such a big deal (it's only an hour later) but good news anyway. it's a move in the right direction -

a couple interesting points from the council report.

#1. i wasn't aware that restaurants could stay open 24/7. there's no law that says they can't. knowing that, i wish we had more all-night options.

#2. i've always wondered how many restaurants/bars there are downtown. i have a pretty good idea now. from the report;

There are approximately 1,500 restaurants operating in the city. Roughly 1061of these restaurants, hold a provincial Food Primary liquor license, with nearly half (42%) located in the Downtown peninsula. Liquor Primary establishments, 72% of which are located in the Downtown area (there are only about 250 Liquor Primary licensees in the city).

1,500 x 42% = 630 restaurants
250 x 72% = 180 bars/pubs/nightclub
total = 810 restaurants/bars downtown. is that right? that's a lot when you think how small the area is.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 3:15 AM
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy View Post
Looks like it's game on!

About time. I'm amazed that it was unanimous. Seems like there is a real move towards making vancouver a real city

http://scoutmagazine.ca/2009/10/08/r...service-hours/
Is there any mention about extending service hours for bars/clubs/pubs?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
As for Vancouver, the small town mentality is still very omnipresent in this article. Just look at this:
That's not a small town mentality, that's the mentality of someone wanting to use bylaws to discourage competition. Another unfortunate byproduct of City Hall micromanaging entertainment, restaurants, and everything in between.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 4:19 AM

they already close pretty late like 3 am isn't it?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 6:41 AM

from the people that i know in the suburbs they would rather party and go to clubs in the suburbs than downtown - I am surprised when some say they might go downtown once or twice a year if that and only if they have to they don't like downtown

the bars are cheaper and closer to home

downtown bars are not that appealing

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 1:05 PM
BANNED

I think a lot are missing the point, it's not about being able to drink longer, since there are already options for this, its about being able to have options beyond the granville mall with all the morons and enjoy a late bite with a drink, perhaps after a show for example - much more civil and grown up than being forced into a nightclub.

Vancouver needs to grow up and start acting like a city and not a big town. I actually think an even spread of licensed establishments with similar hours will off set some of the problems with 'corralling' everyone in one area of the city as happens at present.

It always astonished me that area such as Burnaby and Surrey had more relaxed bylaws than vancouver.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 9:08 PM

i think people say suburbs they think surrey and its "hooligans"

but i think most come from the north shore and richmond

surrey frankly is too far away for a casual night out and skytrain is useless when you want to go out till 3 am

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining