HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 1:00 AM

Based on this Global News piece the commercial sector is doing well in London.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3341199/po...medium=Twitter

I don't see an office tower being announced any time soon as most of the growth will likely be small boutique conversions of industrial space or retail space turned into offices.

Would be quite a surprise to see the 2nd tower of One London Place be announced for construction.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by database View Post
I think London is doing this? Maybe not as aggressively as they should be, but Fanshawe has been great about developing programming that dovetails nicely with the city's emerging industries. The Kingsmills campus is meant to host their IT dept for this reason. It'll sit across the street from the Digital and Performance Arts campus, which I think aligns with this sector as well.

I'd also say we're seeing a lot of pretty cool buildings being repurposed and reimagined for new businesses: the London Roundhouse, the Cube, Info-Tech's building, and the Normal School all come to mind. Heck, even our ol' buddy Farhi renovated some of his floor space in the Bell building for Voices.com

My two cents anyway.
Or have you seen Notherns new space? Beautiful!!!!!! Huge too.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 10:19 PM

There are two massive opportunities sitting there waiting for redevelopment.

1. McCormicks building - Dundas St.
2. Kellogs building - Dundas St.

Combination of office and residential use could make these two properties a showpiece. Hopefully some of our home grown business can grow into them or we can lure some of the big gaming, graphics firms to setup here.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 3:12 PM

http://www.london.ca/business/Planni...pplication.pdf

^^ The answer to Sifton's 2nd office tower

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserLDN View Post
http://www.london.ca/business/Planni...pplication.pdf

^^ The answer to Sifton's 2nd office tower
Nope, that this their parking lot on Queens. The second office tower was to go adjacent to their current tower. Different location.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 8:16 PM

Are you talking about the other side of the tower? Because one london place is beside this parking lot and they are both owned by sifton.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 10:35 PM

One London Place was always planned to be a twin tower project. The footings for the 2nd tower and joint underground parking levels are all there. The 2nd tower was going to front Wellington St. and be 18s if memory serves. Sifton never built it because there was no business interested in being the main tenant.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 2:16 AM
Londoner

Tepperman’s: Expanding furniture retailer’s success tied to its focus on local market, says Ivey school prof

As one retail giant fades, a homegrown Southwestern Ontario home-furnishing chain is enjoying a $5-million expansion in London.

Tepperman’s, which added a store in Kitchener one year ago, is holding its own against big-box, national furniture retailers and London is at the centre of that, with the company building a 50,000-square-foot addition to its Wharncliffe Road warehouse.

“We are doing very well, we are amazed with the growth and London is our largest, busiest store,” said Andrew Tepperman, president, in Windsor.

Tepperman’s now employs about 450 across the chain, 130 in London, and will be hiring when the new larger warehouse opens in November, said Tepperman.

“Growth is the mode here right now,” added Alan Withers, director of sales for the London store.

“We have done better than expected and things are looking even more positive.”

Tepperman’s has stores in Windsor, Chatham, Sarnia, London and Kitchener, and along with the local expansion Sarnia is also adding to its retail operation.

The small, family store that grew, chalks it up to doing business differently than the big-box chains it competes against. It works at being connected to the community through sponsorship programs, specifically education-related bursaries.

But Tepperman cites busies practice as a critical difference-maker, specifically its financing, allowing customized payment packages including five-year, interest-free loans as well as two years, no payment, options, its most popular, said Tepperman.

“Our day-to-day operations differentiate us from the competition,” he said.

“We are the only retailer that does not use a third-party bank. I know when the recession hit, people who used a third-party lender were not treated well.”

The store also won with consumers when it offered same-day delivery as long as a purchase was made before 2 p.m. It could make that pledge thanks to its warehousing operations in London, easy travel distance to its store.

“As a family we have been doing this for 92 years, we have a lot of experience and seen retail cycles up and down,” said Tepperman.

Knowing your market is the key difference between Tepperman’s and a national retailer like Sears, now restructuring its operations under creditor protection, closing about a third of its stores nationally, said Michael Pearce, business professor Richard Ivey School of Business, Western University, who specializes in the retail sector.

“It’s all about their ability to focus on the local market, they know what is appropriate for people in their area and do things that resonate with consumers there,” said Pearce.

“A national retailer often has difficulty localizing what they are doing.”

Tepperman’s is also trying to diversify its offerings, opening an Urban Studio test market, 4,000 sq. ft., of more upscale furniture. It still also offers the Bargain Annex discount line, and prides itself on being a mid-range home furnishing retailer.

“We use London as a test market, we are trying to push the envelope in the higher end,” over the last four months, added Tepperman. “It’s gone well, it’s a different demographic.

Tepperman’s came to London in 1997, moving into the old Patton’s Place store on Wharncliffe Road, before growing into its new, large store, farther south on Wharncliffe, in 2008.

As for the store’s origins, Nate Tepperman emigrated from Russia in 1920 and spent time in London before settling in Windsor and opening its store there.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 2:41 AM
The Vomit Bag.

are their annoying double-time commercials still saturating the airwaves? I have switched to Sirius-XM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 8:22 PM

Well for all those naysayers out there who seem to think London is dying a slow death and KWC is soaring ahead StasCan has come out and again proved them wrong.

The newest stats put London growing at a very healthy clip of 1.7% which is the same growth rate of KWC, above the national CMA average, one of the fastest growth rates in the country, and faster growth than the city has seen in a generation. Despite Hamilton's advantage of getting Toronto overflow, London is growing faster than the Hamilton CMA as well. Obviously London having one of the strongest housing sectors in the country clearly reflects this.

This is one of the many benefits of having "soft" advantages of affordable housing, low crime rates, and a pleasant, attractive, and green urban enviornment. This is where a high quality of life pays real economic benefits. Despite many being down on London, I have been to every major city in the country outside of NB/PEI and I can say without reservation that London is one of the nicest cities in the country.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Well for all those naysayers out there who seem to think London is dying a slow death and KWC is soaring ahead StasCan has come out and again proved them wrong.

The newest stats put London growing at a very healthy clip of 1.7% which is the same growth rate of KWC, above the national CMA average, one of the fastest growth rates in the country, and faster growth than the city has seen in a generation. Despite Hamilton's advantage of getting Toronto overflow, London is growing faster than the Hamilton CMA as well. Obviously London having one of the strongest housing sectors in the country clearly reflects this.

This is one of the many benefits of having "soft" advantages of affordable housing, low crime rates, and a pleasant, attractive, and green urban enviornment. This is where a high quality of life pays real economic benefits. Despite many being down on London, I have been to every major city in the country outside of NB/PEI and I can say without reservation that London is one of the nicest cities in the country.
If we stay at the same growth rate, we'll reach 1 million by 2056. I'd be scared of a city that size not having a fully functional BRT or LRT by then.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
If we stay at the same growth rate, we'll reach 1 million by 2056. I'd be scared of a city that size not having a fully functional BRT or LRT by then.
Well, knowing how 'progressive' London is (and I'm using the word in a sarcastic way), I could actually see that happening - a city of 1 million and no BRT or LRT.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 3:06 PM

http://www.lfpress.com/2018/02/13/li...y-london-firms

More comparisons between KW and London. This article at the bottom is a little bit off with showing the stats. Comparing KW population for the region with just the population for the city London. If were comparing by regions we are already at 500k and defiantly should have some rapid transit.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 6:08 PM

High Speed rail should increase our population of our city too. Many people will move away from GTA house pricing and commute via high speed rail.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 6:19 PM
The Vomit Bag.

With light rail and the concomitant densification it brings, I wouldn't be surprised if Kitchener's hitherto pathetic skyline one day beats London's.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 11:30 PM

Not a chance of seeing 1 million by 2056.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo26 View Post
Well, knowing how 'progressive' London is (and I'm using the word in a sarcastic way), I could actually see that happening - a city of 1 million and no BRT or LRT.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 11:07 AM

http://lfpress.com/news/local-news/l...-call-for-city

Beyond the issue of immigration discussed in this article, I'd be curious how many Londoners left the city between 2008 and 2015 for other cities, and how many of them ended up in Toronto.

In many cases it boils down to jobs. Unfortunately in the line of work I'm in now, there are simply almost no jobs in London, compared to the seemingly infinite number of jobs in Toronto (and to a much lesser extent in K-W or Ottawa). There is one company in London that does the work I'm qualified to do, but despite sending them several resumes over the years I've never heard back from them. Can't move back to London without a job, and I'm not going to do something lesser than what I'm qualified to do.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 11:26 PM

Sadly this information complicates a number of dreams like HSR and BRT. The folks predicting 80,000 more people by 2030 are dreaming.

Unless there is a dramatic change to the job market eco-system in London the expected growth is just not going to be a big as they think.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 7:02 PM
User Registered

London needs to find a way to market itself better to attract more growth.

With Greater Toronto being among the world's most congested cities according to a new report (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xzt6dCB1NQ), we have the potential to attract a lot of the southern Ontario's potential growth here.

At this point its too expensive or politically impossible to upgrade / expand Toronto's transit system to keep up with demand, let alone maintain what they have. The city / region simply didn't invest enough in the past and will continue to choke more and more.

It's not too late for London. If the city gets a lot of growth we could use the new revenues to make the city a better place to live and do business, encouraging even further growth.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 5:58 AM

Comparing KWC to London is unfair. KWC is becoming more of a commuter town for Toronto which London will never be even with HSR. Just the fact that KW is getting all-day, each-way GO service exemplifies this.

London is one of the fastest growing Metros in the country and unemployment is low. Wages are lower than many places but so is the cost of living. Londoners make slightly less than Vancouverites but real estate is literally one-fifth the price and rentals one-third and yet London is growing significantly faster which is reflected in the strong real estate market while Vancouver is heading for a major crash and hence the economy it has built around it.

People like to bitch about London but the reality is that London is doing very well and is a hell of a lot nicer city than KW will ever hope to be.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy