HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Roberts Center for Pediatric Research in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 14, 2015, 2:17 AM

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 7:45 PM

Update from Building Philly

https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 8:43 PM

Drove by this morning and this afternoon and there was a decent amount of Concrete pouring going on.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 9:04 PM

I lived right across the Street (Schuylkill Ave) for a year back in '08. The view from my 4th story balcony was amazing. I believe the view from these towers when it's finished will probably the best in the city. The view from the South St. bridge now is already almost next to none.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 4:20 AM

More photos here:

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 10:38 PM

7/7/2015

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 5:57 PM
BANNED

i see some real concrete work is being done now

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 12:42 AM

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 2:52 PM

Im leaving Jefferson and taking a job at Penn this fall. Driving around penn, I realize how much of a risk this new building is for the neighborhood. Jefferson is completely surrounded by neighborhood, community, stores, restaurants, etc etc. Penn is a giant barren wasteland of a complex. Great architecture on the northern parts, but there is no "city" that is made with their buildings. Its all just buildings. So this thing being built in the neighborhood may just become a giant walled off complex with blank walls, no windows at street level, and no life. Apart from getting new jobs in the neighborhood, it doesn't add anything to it except a potentially nicer access to the river.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafeguy View Post
Im leaving Jefferson and taking a job at Penn this fall. Driving around penn, I realize how much of a risk this new building is for the neighborhood. Jefferson is completely surrounded by neighborhood, community, stores, restaurants, etc etc. Penn is a giant barren wasteland of a complex. Great architecture on the northern parts, but there is no "city" that is made with their buildings. Its all just buildings. So this thing being built in the neighborhood may just become a giant walled off complex with blank walls, no windows at street level, and no life. Apart from getting new jobs in the neighborhood, it doesn't add anything to it except a potentially nicer access to the river.
Except that this isn't Penn, it's CHOP, and it will be for research and offices, and not core clinical functions (which will remain on the other side of the river). But, of course, that doesn't undercut your points about its potential effects on the neighborhood.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 4:33 PM

Quote:
The Penn Medicine complex is a hospital ghetto.
Did they officially rule against any retail here? Where are the employees to eat lunch or grab happy hour? How about a coffee-run? Are they gonna walk 1/2 mile to Grace? I realize researchers and scientists may not be the life of the party, but even these folks need to be thrown a bone, no? Perhaps this can spur a seasonal bar/grill on the River Trail?

Agreed - other than the jobs and the fact that a shiny new tower will obstruct the hideous nearby Tri-Gen plant this is truly an odd location for 9to5ers.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Did they officially rule against any retail here? Where are the employees to eat lunch or grab happy hour? How about a coffee-run? Are they gonna walk 1/2 mile to Grace? I realize researchers and scientists may not be the life of the party, but even these folks need to be thrown a bone, no? Perhaps this can spur a seasonal bar/grill on the River Trail?

Agreed - other than the jobs and the fact that a shiny new tower will obstruct the hideous nearby Tri-Gen plant this is truly an odd location for 9to5ers.
They are officially including retail, both on South Street and on Schuylkill/Bainbridge. This is from a couple pages back when PlanPhilly live tweeted the meeting:

Quote:
As it turns out, they have eliminated 1 of their proposed 2 curb cuts on the SS bridge. They've also committed to building out all public space in phase 1, despite the complications that arise for future phases, and have committed to commercial space on SS... applying for the needed variances to make it official. they've also committed to commercial on Schuylkill and bainbridge, but doubt the demand is there. Additionally, they've pledged a bikeshare onsite.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 6:41 PM

Quote:

re: Happy Hour - Callahan's Bar at Taney and South is readying to reopen in the next month, or so.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 6:53 PM

Very happy to hear they are officially including retail. Its very very important.

As for CHOP and Penn... yes, they are different entities, but they are like-minded institutions that can contribute to the building ghetto of sorts.

As for researchers... we need to eat, grab happy hour, get a coffee, etc etc just as much as any professional in other fields.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 7:07 PM

Quote:
As for researchers... we need to eat, grab happy hour, get a coffee, etc etc just as much as any professional in other fields.
Maybe even more so.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Maybe even more so.
definitely some days.

I should also add though... that Jefferson made retail spaces on walnut from 11th to 10th that were never used for anything other than more offices for them. The same thing was said about the retail spaces in the Navy Yard by Inga today. I hope CHOP has it in writing that they will actively seek actual retail to fill the spaces.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 7:51 PM

Quote:
definitely some days.

I should also add though... that Jefferson made retail spaces on walnut from 11th to 10th that were never used for anything other than more offices for them. The same thing was said about the retail spaces in the Navy Yard by Inga today. I hope CHOP has it in writing that they will actively seek actual retail to fill the spaces.
No doubt appropriate for a facility that will house only research and office space. Getting back to the Penn Medicine/CHOP hospital "ghetto" for a moment, however, I'm not sure that would be appropriate for that area across the river. It's kind of a trade-off when you have large, urban, world-class clinical care campuses (similar to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, NYU Langone and the Columbia and Cornell Presbyterian complexes in Manhattan, Texas Medical Center in Houston, etc.), but a trade-off well worth making. You just aren't going to see much retail or traditional urban street engagement in those kinds of complexes.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
No doubt appropriate for a facility that will house only research and office space. Getting back to the Penn Medicine/CHOP hospital "ghetto" for a moment, however, I'm not sure that would be appropriate for that area across the river. It's kind of a trade-off when you have large, urban, world-class clinical care campuses (similar to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, NYU Langone and the Columbia and Cornell Presbyterian complexes in Manhattan, Texas Medical Center in Houston, etc.), but a trade-off well worth making. You just aren't going to see much retail or traditional urban street engagement in those kinds of complexes.
trade off for sure... but when you take large scale clinical campuses and put them into a newly growing mostly residential urban neighborhood, its a different story. Their expansion south makes sense when creating campuses that are not retail oriented... but if they are deciding to move into a neighborhood surrounded by homes and retail areas...its important to find ways to integrate the building on a scale that allows it to fit into a neighborhood. And I'm not talking size here.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 9:55 PM

Quote:

You are right that there are very limited retail options in the current area. I can tell you that the designs for the new hospital include several areas of retail. There will be retail/ green space between the hospital and Penn Musuem.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 9:59 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
trade off for sure... but when you take large scale clinical campuses and put them into a newly growing mostly residential urban neighborhood, its a different story. Their expansion south makes sense when creating campuses that are not retail oriented... but if they are deciding to move into a neighborhood surrounded by homes and retail areas...its important to find ways to integrate the building on a scale that allows it to fit into a neighborhood. And I'm not talking size here.
What did the neighbors say about it? Was it ever discussed? I agree with you for sure, but some neighborhoods oppose that kind of stuff. Heck, some neighbors wanted to keep the old building that was on this site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive