HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 5:16 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I never thought of Colorado being that progressive of a state; I guess because of Colorado Springs. I've heard that city is very conservative; in fact, isn't it where that awful group "Focus On the Family" is headquartered?
After they picked up and moved from Arcadia CA and started that amendment 2. Yes, Colorado Springs is conservative but the majority of the State is progressive and forward thinking... Boulder, Denver, Ft Collins, Aspen, Summit County. Very progressive ideas are coming out of CO and hopefully they will elect Jared Polis as Governor in November.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 5:21 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I’ve been to Denver 4 times. Like it... but don’t love it. Not by a long shot. Really enjoyed hiking, camping, biking, etc. in the Rockies, drinking lots of good beer, and being able to pop into a store and buy good weed. The food scene was pretty delish too. But I definitely didn’t think downtown Denver was anything that great... felt a bit like downtown Dallas to me... big buildings, no real street vibrancy to speak of aside from that pedestrian/shuttle mall thing, not that walkable or connected to residential neighborhoods.

And it just felt, well... very white... like all people in some form of Patagonia gear white. Annoyingly white... like it was some sort of joke almost.
Demographics: The City & County of Denver 11.1% African American; 31.7% Hispanic; 2.8% Asian and 1.3% Native American.

At the 2010 Census, the population of Pittsburgh consisted of: White: 64.8% Black or African American: 25.8% American Indian and Alaska Native: 0.2%

Never been to Pittsburgh but it seems like a pretty amazing city.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Compared to Austin, Houston or Dallas are not as attractive. People want to live in Austin. They move to Houston and Dallas for more practical reasons...like career, cost of living and so on. The cities that are expensive are so because they are in demand. People say "I would love to live in Seattle or San Francisco" but how often do people say, "I would love to live in Houston"? All these cities have vibrant healthy economies and lot's of options but not all of them are "it" cities..if this makes any sense.
Houston gets a lot of hate due to past sins, but it has a lot of good things going for it. I like the diversity of the city, which has lent itself to being a bit of a foodie scene too. The lack of zoning has created some funky, interesting neighborhoods. You can have fairly urban town homes next to high and low end retail, a bunch of dive bars, restaurants and a strip club all on the same block. Unheard of for new development in the United States, but it seems much more organically growing than the cookie cutter subdivisions and commercial districts found in most other cities. I was in the Galleria area not too long ago, didn't have a car, and managed to have a lot of fun. I was very surprised, because I wasn't expecting much.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 1:31 PM

Quote:
It’s where the USAF Academy is and they’re about the biggest bunch of God-complex-having ultra conservative weirdos as you can find anywhere.
Yeah, I wasn't even gonna mention the Air Force Academy; I figured that was a given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
After they picked up and moved from Arcadia CA and started that amendment 2. Yes, Colorado Springs is conservative but the majority of the State is progressive and forward thinking... Boulder, Denver, Ft Collins, Aspen, Summit County. Very progressive ideas are coming out of CO and hopefully they will elect Jared Polis as Governor in November.
Not surprised they used to be in Arcadia. Decades ago it was a conservative white community. In high school, I had a teacher who grew up in Arcadia, and when she was in high school in the 1960s, some people were up in arms because they were gonna allow a black exchange student from Nigeria to go to school there.

Kind of ironic too now, being that Arcadia now has a very high Chinese population. Focus On the Family probably decided to leave because they were scared off by the feng shui mirrors and Chinese wearing mala... they didn't want to be around those heathens!

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Jul 20, 2018 at 2:27 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 1:56 PM

Quote:
I’ve been to Denver 4 times. Like it... but don’t love it. Not by a long shot. Really enjoyed hiking, camping, biking, etc. in the Rockies, drinking lots of good beer, and being able to pop into a store and buy good weed. The food scene was pretty delish too. But I definitely didn’t think downtown Denver was anything that great... felt a bit like downtown Dallas to me... big buildings, no real street vibrancy to speak of aside from that pedestrian/shuttle mall thing, not that walkable or connected to residential neighborhoods.

And it just felt, well... very white... like all people in some form of Patagonia gear white. Annoyingly white... like it was some sort of joke almost.
Imagine someone saying "Detroit is....very black...like annoyingly black...like it was some sort of joke almost"....do you see where your prejudice is showing?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Imagine someone saying "Detroit is....very black...like annoyingly black...like it was some sort of joke almost"....do you see where your prejudice is showing?
get a load of this guy^

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 2:52 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Denver and the entire State of Colorado is very desirable to a lot of people including myself. The beauty, progressiveness, forwardness and year round recreation opportunities... the appeals are never ending. Man, I sure as hell get the appeal. I would love to live there and so would many people. I hear people say all the time they would love to live in Denver. Some cities you'll never hear that.
I agree with all of that, but still, why should something so vast and spacious like the state of Colorado be increasingly unaffordable? The West is vast as hell naturally, even if urban development there was as expansive as that in the East. Except for California, Oregon, and Washington, much of the other states should be affordable.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 2:55 PM

I looked up demographics for Detroit and Denver. To my surprise, Denver has the more diverse population.

Source: City-data

And the reason why I like the diversity in Jersey City

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 2:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:

And it [Denver] just felt, well... very white... like all people in some form of Patagonia gear white. Annoyingly white... like it was some sort of joke almost.
This post is annoyingly racist.

Quote:
It’s where the USAF Academy is and they’re about the biggest bunch of God-complex-having ultra conservative weirdos as you can find anywhere.
This comment came out of left field. I don't think you know what you're talking about. The USAF Academy is very difficult/competitive to get in to and doesn't have much to do with the religious conservative nature of the Springs because nearly all of the cadets are from outside of Colorado. I had a friend go through the admissions process [accepted] and part of that lengthy process including meeting with and securing a recommendation from a U.S. Senator or representative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000
weed
That wouldn't explain why Californians and anybody else along the west coast, now including Nevada and other parts of the east coast are moving there.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
That wouldn't explain why Californians and anybody else along the west coast, now including Nevada and other parts of the east coast are moving there.
I know a bunch of people leaving NYC for Denver. The high cost of living in NYC is a factor, but there is something about the natural beauty and the ability to hop in a car to go hiking, mountain climbing, fishing, etc that's also attracting them. The legalization of weed has also been a selling point for some folks too.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
I mean you just said it and we all know that's how you really feel.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 3:06 PM

Quote:
You don't know what racism is if you think racism against white people is something that exists.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I agree with all of that, but still, why should something so vast and spacious like the state of Colorado be increasingly unaffordable? The West is vast as hell naturally, even if urban development there was as expansive as that in the East. Except for California, Oregon, and Washington, much of the other states should be affordable.
Most Western states are heavily govt. lands, so there is actually little room for growth, at least where you would plausibly want to live.

I get the appeal of Colorado, but it has never spoken to me. Maybe it's because I grew up spending lots of time in the Alps, but the Rockies, to me, have always been too desert-y, spread out and very gradual risers. They aren't a particularly dramatic range. There's a clump here, then semi-desert, then another clump. Excellent skiing, but not awe-inspiring or good for hiking. Too arid, sparse and empty.

IMO the nicest parts of the Western mountains are in the PNW and BC. But there's nothing in NA like the Lauterbrunnen Valley in SZ, or the Dolomites. The "wow"! appeal of the Western states are in the dramatic canyons and the like. That's what makes non-Americans drop their jaws in amazement.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Every metro in America sprawls like crazy including Chicago and Detroit Additionally, Denver was the 25th largest city in 1900 larger than Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Seattle, Portland, San Diego, Columbus, and many others and does have a lot of 19th Century architecture.

People pay more for what is considered desirable whether it is a clothing, a car, a neighborhood or even a city to live in. I think it is fair to say Denver would likely poll better as a desired place to live than Houston or Dallas. Denver is like San Diego, LA, Portland, Seattle and San Francisco in that they're all really desirable places to live to many people and people move to these cities despite being more expensive because they want to live there. People move out of these cities when they're priced out and end up in another city out of financial necessity or because their employer picked up and moved to the cheaper cities.
This may be true but I'm willing to bet that the immediate surrounding areas of those cities were larger. I also wouldn't say Denver is a desirable of a destination as those cities because it's a landlocked metro area. There's something different about being near the water. Prices reflect this.

Quote:
Denver and the entire State of Colorado is very desirable to a lot of people including myself. The beauty, progressiveness, forwardness and year round recreation opportunities... the appeals are never ending. Man, I sure as hell get the appeal. I would love to live there and so would many people. I hear people say all the time they would love to live in Denver. Some cities you'll never hear that.
Denver is okay. The Rockies are what make Denver what it is. The general metro area to the east of Downtown where post people live and where growth can be limitless has quite boring scenery. The Californication of Denver is what has made it appealing to many from the coasts. Legal weed brought an additional coolness factor for a while. The Rockies created a more outdoor lifestyle. Also when it snows, it's usually not on the ground for more than a couple of days which increases it's appeal some more to those from the Northeast. You get some nice winter weather like back home but then cloudless 50 degree weather just a couple of days after.

All those things make Denver what it is today but I wouldn't say it's a more desirable metro area to live in for many people than a Atlanta or Dallas or Phoenix, or even an Austin. It just has different qualities.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 3:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:
This comment came out of left field. I don't think you know what you're talking about. The USAF Academy is very difficult/competitive to get in to and doesn't have much to do with the religious conservative nature of the Springs because nearly all of the cadets are from outside of Colorado. I had a friend go through the admissions process [accepted] and part of that lengthy process including meeting with and securing a recommendation from a U.S. Senator or representative.
Yeah, maybe it was out of left field. I've never been so fortunate to have a friend be accepted [!] by the academy, so I guess I really wouldn't know. I've just heard that when Air Force pilots conduct missions, they like to visualize their missiles being shot straight out of the awesome asshole of the Lord.

Quote:
Better weed?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 3:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
I know a bunch of people leaving NYC for Denver. The high cost of living in NYC is a factor, but there is something about the natural beauty and the ability to hop in a car to go hiking, mountain climbing, fishing, etc that's also attracting them. The legalization of weed has also been a selling point for some folks too.
Weed is abundantly available everywhere [legal or not]. People are not leaving New York City for weed.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Weed is abundantly available everywhere [legal or not]. People are not leaving New York City for weed.
They may not have been leaving because of it but it could definitely have been a factor and another perk for choosing Denver over, say, Phoenix.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
They may not have been leaving because of it but it could definitely have been a factor and another perk for choosing Denver over, say, Phoenix.
NYC doesn't send a lot of people to either state (the only Western state with large numbers of New Yorkers is CA) but the draws would be very different.

Phoenix would be valued for sun and dry heat, and popular with retirees. Denver would be valued for outdoorsy stuff and popular with millennials and young families. CO generally has better schools than AZ, so this may be a factor.

Weed will likely be legal within NY State within the year, and probably in NJ too. I don't think it's a major factor. And it's been informally decriminalized in NYC since DeBlasio came into office.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
Exactly! It's not a major selling point but it may tip the balance from one city over another. I don't smoke, just relaying what I've heard.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
NYC doesn't send a lot of people to either state (the only Western state with large numbers of New Yorkers is CA) but the draws would be very different.

Phoenix would be valued for sun and dry heat, and popular with retirees. Denver would be valued for outdoorsy stuff and popular with millennials and young families. CO generally has better schools than AZ, so this may be a factor.

Weed will likely be legal within NY State within the year, and probably in NJ too. I don't think it's a major factor. And it's been informally decriminalized in NYC since DeBlasio came into office.
Generally speaking. People move places for a lot of reasons. Maybe they don't mind the weather in either city but choose Denver because they can get legal weed. It was just an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
Exactly! It's not a major selling point but it may tip the balance from one city over another. I don't smoke, just relaying what I've heard.
There's a couple I know that moved there for this very reason lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions