HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 11:32 AM
Montérégien

NEWFOUNDLAND : could you give me my <3 back please ?!?
You take beautiful pictures, SignalHillHiker, and you also know how to chose the best ones on the Internet. I hope you'll have an expo in Montreal about that wonderful territory you live in someday. And thanks for the thoughtfully chosen music too. It's a delight post after post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Gorgeous set, as always. Love painted brick. I love it unpainted also... but there's just something about painted brick that feels... authentic to me? I interpret it as indicating a neighbourhood that's gentrified, but not pretentious.

Went on a little Flickr tour around the island, starting at the southwest edge...

Video Link

Port aux Basques, Slipway to Canada

first view of the &quot;rock&quot; by wil james, on Flickr

Codroy Valley

Grand Codroy Valley, Newfoundland by Deborah Twigg, on Flickr

Lourdes, Port au Port

Our Lady of Mercy Church by Jonathan Hollett, on Flickr

Corner Brook

Sunset City... by Dru Kennedy, on Flickr

Rocky Harbour, Gros Morne

2015-07-14_24 Rocky Harbour, Newfoundland 076 by Suellen, on Flickr

St. Anthony, Great Northern Peninsula

St. Anthony, Newfoundland and Labrador by James White, on Flickr

Englee, Great Northern Peninsula

Englee, NL by Darren Doucette, on Flickr

Fleur de Lys, French Shore

052013-623F by kzzzkc, on Flickr

Springdale

Dory by Kureal2009, on Flickr

Twillingate, New World Island

Twillingate Newfoundland by Joshua Ellner, on Flickr

Joe Batt's Arm, Fogo Island

Fogo Island by R C, on Flickr

Tilting, Fogo Island

Fogo Island by R C, on Flickr

Newtown

Barbour Premises, Newtown, Newfoundland by Jim Cornish, on Flickr

Bonavista, Bonavista Peninsula

Bonavista by R C, on Flickr

Trinity, Bonavista Peninsula

Trinity by R C, on Flickr

Bay de Verde, Northwest Avalon

P1230065 by Tom Flemming, on Flickr

Carbonear, Northwest Avalon

Carbonear by R C, on Flickr

St. John's, Northeast Avalon

Rain by R C, on Flickr

Placentia, Southwest Avalon

Placentia Road Trip by R C, on Flickr

Grand Bank, Burin Peninsula

Terre Neuve et St-Pierre et Miquelon by R C, on Flickr

St-Pierre et Miquelon, France

Terre Neuve et St-Pierre et Miquelon by R C, on Flickr

Francois, South Coast

Francois, Newfoundland and Labrador by James White, on Flickr

Rose Blanche, Southwest Coast

Twilight Milky Way at Rose Blanche Lighthouse by Adam Woodworth, on Flickr

And as usual, MartinMtl, you managed to assemble an incredible set about Montreal. Are you still doing your week bests thing ? I really appreciated it. I used some of your sets to convince some French friends to come see me here this spring. It worked pretty well

Last edited by Laceoflight; Aug 4, 2017 at 12:41 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 11:59 AM

Thanks Laceoflight, I love that you used my Mtl sets to promote the city to your friends :-) I gave up on my weekly update (too much work combine with a backlash because of the number of pics). I'll concentrate on smaller, irregular posts... I'm happy that this thread sems to enjoy a new life lately.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 12:11 PM
Montérégien

Since I read a few comments that Québec's other neighbourhoods were never shown on this thread (which is false since other forumers and I have posted over the years lots of pictures of St-Roch, St-Jean-Baptiste, etc. that may have been wrongly associated with old QC) I decided to assemble a post in dedication to LIMOILOU, a very montréalesque part of Quebec city located on the north shore of Saint-Charles river, a few kilometres from downtown.

Spiral staircases, rows of plexes, alleys, ephemeral urban places, music on the balconies, vegetation everywhere, cafés, restos, and funky patios.
This is how we do it in Limoilou. Enjoy!

The sound of Félix Dyotte and his lovely Japanese friend Dahlia - Iki O Tsuitara
Video Link

Last edited by Laceoflight; Aug 4, 2017 at 12:25 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 2:53 PM

A couple from last night in Edmonton - Cromdale/Ada Boulevard area...

Love the Kennedale Ravine trails... oh and did someone say this is in the middle of a 1.3 Million person metropolitan area?!?! Love the greenery of our river valley.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 5:18 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Beautiful, Martin. Love the vines on the first one and the vespas near the end.

A few cute little recent ones from Flickr, not my own.

Video Link

Newfoundland-0025 by apptrpt, on Flickr

Newfoundland-0040 by apptrpt, on Flickr

Newfoundland-0053 by apptrpt, on Flickr

Newfoundland-0177 by apptrpt, on Flickr

Newfoundland-0202 by apptrpt, on Flickr

Newfoundland-0378 by apptrpt, on Flickr

Newfoundland-0213 by apptrpt, on Flickr

Newfoundland-0240-2 by apptrpt, on Flickr

Atlantic Puffin (Fratercula arctica) by Edward Kroc, on Flickr

Newfoundland 2017 028 by Dave Milsom, on Flickr

Newfoundland 2017 171 by Dave Milsom, on Flickr

‪Stone Jug in Carbonear ‬Newfoundland by branan888, on Flickr

Newfie Réflexion by Karl Mailhot, on Flickr

IMG_4173_Rotterdam departing by David Greening, on Flickr

DSC_0056 by Simone, on Flickr

DSC_0739 by Simone, on Flickr

Team Newfoundland by 2017 Canada Summer Games, on Flickr

DSC_0570 by Simone, on Flickr

Cantwell BnB St John by jcharphotos, on Flickr

Nfld Sign by newfoundlander61, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Gorgeous set, as always. Love painted brick. I love it unpainted also... but there's just something about painted brick that feels... authentic to me? I interpret it as indicating a neighbourhood that's gentrified, but not pretentious.
That's interesting - it's another thing you guys do totally opposite of us (I'm reminded of "vinyl is a step up from brick"...)

In Quebec, painted brick pretty much inevitably means gritty / not gentrified yet.

One of the main visual aspects of gentrification is that brick buildings will get restored by getting the paint off. When you see buildings losing their paint it's a telltale sign that gentrification is happening in the area.

For a very typical case that just happened under my very nose, scroll to the end of this post:

https://mtlurb.com/index.php?/topic/...comment=282907

The brick got brought back to its original state; here's what it looked like pre-gentrification:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.40029...2!8i6656?hl=fr

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 8:01 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
That's interesting - it's another thing you guys do totally opposite of us (I'm reminded of "vinyl is a step up from brick"...)

In Quebec, painted brick pretty much inevitably means gritty / not gentrified yet.

One of the main visual aspects of gentrification is that brick buildings will get restored by getting the paint off. When you see buildings losing their paint it's a telltale sign that gentrification is happening in the area.

For a very typical case that just happened under my very nose, scroll to the end of this post:

https://mtlurb.com/index.php?/topic/...comment=282907

The brick got brought back to its original state; here's what it looked like pre-gentrification:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.40029...2!8i6656?hl=fr
ONLY in that one neighbourhood, though. Because vinyl means something is being done, it's being fixed up, improved - whereas brick just means it's still the same sorry state it's been for 50 years.

My reaction to things are definitely warped coming from a clapboard city, but in general, brick > vinyl, by far, even to me. The opposite was a very specific example.

(3rd last pic in that is awesome).

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 10:05 PM
Riki beach

Cet après-midi:

http://www.lavantage.qc.ca/actualite...chauds---.html
Joyeux 30e Sydney !

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 11:27 PM
Montérégien

A more classic set for Québec, after unsuccessful Limoilou.

@philippegosselin, sur Instagram

@canadianparadise, sur Instagram

@franfreduch, sur Instagram

@philippegosselin, sur Instagram

@manucoveney, sur Instagram

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 7:25 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
They've finally finished putting in the new square behind city hall. From the front:

It's been a long time coming. It used to be a grim patch of broken asphalt clogged with parked cars and city buses, but now it's a decent, if modest, piazza.

They even put in a charging station for electric cars. So, like, if you need to make an Exodus and get on the Zion Train you can juice your Tesla up and Ride, Natty, Ride.

I just insulted my neighbour, a joyless old maid straight out of an Alice Munro short story who I normally get on with fine. She happened to be walking toward downtown just as I set out to do the same, so we strolled together for a few blocks and ended up talking about the new square.

Or rather, she ranted. After I said that it was a terrific improvement over its previous status as a bleak parking lot filled with cars and idling diesel buses (https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.36969...7i13312!8i6656), she went on a tirade about what a profligate waste of money it was,* how her taxes had gone up, how the buses were now a block away, how you wouldn't like it if your mother had to go to the new location for the buses, how these new people moving into the city were changing it (that was an inadvertent shot at my wife and I, only here for thirteen years now), how if you wanted it to "look like Europe" you could just go to Europe, and on and on ad infinitum.

She fit so much bile and vitriol into our two blocks together that it was exhausting to listen to. Finally I said: "You know what? I hate to say this, but you sound like someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing."

Her face reddened at that and she muttered darkly about that being fine if I felt that way. Jeezus. I understand concerns people have for so-called gentrification, but taxes haven't actually been going up much at all. She's a haggard old woman of about sixty who has always lived alone. I don't think she's ever even been out of Stratford save for some trips earlier in her life to Hamilton where her sister lived. But she owns her house outright and has owned the rental property next door to her for well over a decade, so she's a scrooge with about $750 thousand in real estate equity.

Change is frightening. And I don't mean that in a sneering way. I genuinely feel sorry for her.

*"The Market Square revitalization project (cost: $2.5 million) will be funded in large part by $1.13 million donated by Wal-Mart, plus a $250,000 Canada 150 Grant and a series of other funds.
The original $1.25-million Wal-Mart donation was partially a recognition of the costs incurred by the city’s Ontario Municipal Board appeal that attempted to keep the retail giant out of the Stratford’s east end. The 2013 gift – specifically earmarked for the Market Square revitalization – came with a seven-year window.
Close to $200,000 is set to come from the water reserve, $216,000 from the working capital reserve, and just over $100,000 from a parking reserve fund. A 2017 infrastructure levy takes care of another $250,000, plus $140,000 from the federal gas tax grant."
http://www.stratfordbeaconherald.com...s-and-visitors

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laceoflight View Post
A more classic set for Québec, after unsuccessful Limoilou.
I forecasted that because I found that your set was extremely light on architecture and buildings, which is what most of us are here for.

I've just moved back to Sherbrooke and with your pics I realized I missed the Quebec City area already. (Still own rental property in old Lévis so that's a good reason for me to go regularly over there, at least.)

Although all things considered I still think I prefer living in Sherbrooke - but as they say, the grass always seems greener in the place you just left.

Anyways - thanks for the pics

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 8:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I just insulted my neighbour, a joyless old maid straight out of an Alice Munro short story who I normally get on with fine. She happened to be walking toward downtown just as I set out to do the same, so we strolled together for a few blocks and ended up talking about the new square.

Or rather, she ranted. After I said that it was a terrific improvement over its previous status as a bleak parking lot filled with cars and idling diesel buses (https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.36969...7i13312!8i6656), she went on a tirade about what a profligate waste of money it was,* how her taxes had gone up, how the buses were now a block away, how you wouldn't like it if your mother had to go to the new location for the buses, how these new people moving into the city were changing it (that was an inadvertent shot at my wife and I, only here for thirteen years now), how if you wanted it to "look like Europe" you could just go to Europe, and on and on ad infinitum.

She fit so much bile and vitriol into our two blocks together that it was exhausting to listen to. Finally I said: "You know what? I hate to say this, but you sound like someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing."

Her face reddened at that and she muttered darkly about that being fine if I felt that way. Jeezus. I understand concerns people have for so-called gentrification, but taxes haven't actually been going up much at all. She's a haggard old woman of about sixty who has always lived alone. I don't think she's ever even been out of Stratford save for some trips earlier in her life to Hamilton where her sister lived. But she owns her house outright and has owned the rental property next door to her for well over a decade, so she's a scrooge with about $750 thousand in real estate equity.

Change is frightening. And I don't mean that in a sneering way. I genuinely feel sorry for her.

*"The Market Square revitalization project (cost: $2.5 million) will be funded in large part by $1.13 million donated by Wal-Mart, plus a $250,000 Canada 150 Grant and a series of other funds.
The original $1.25-million Wal-Mart donation was partially a recognition of the costs incurred by the city’s Ontario Municipal Board appeal that attempted to keep the retail giant out of the Stratford’s east end. The 2013 gift – specifically earmarked for the Market Square revitalization – came with a seven-year window.
Close to $200,000 is set to come from the water reserve, $216,000 from the working capital reserve, and just over $100,000 from a parking reserve fund. A 2017 infrastructure levy takes care of another $250,000, plus $140,000 from the federal gas tax grant."
Don't sweat it. Nice square BTW.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 10:53 PM

I love the austere simplicity of St John's architecture.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 10:59 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

And I love you.

Also, assuming that square is Stratford - beautiful. I can picture a lot of deep conversations there at 3 and 4 a.m. after the bars close.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:

Tough crowd. Civic pride is low on too many people. It's selfish and I suspect it's a very North American state of mind, is it ? I may be wrong. In any case, 2.5 millions for a refurbished square in the center of the town is a bargain.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 12:43 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Also, assuming that square is Stratford - beautiful. I can picture a lot of deep conversations there at 3 and 4 a.m. after the bars close.
I could quibble about some of the details, but on the whole I think they did a nice job. We've now got a proper square in the centre of the city. I think it's terrific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
Tough crowd. Civic pride is low on too many people. It's selfish and I suspect it's a very North American state of mind, is it ? I may be wrong. In any case, 2.5 millions for a refurbished square in the center of the town is a bargain.
This particular neighbour is a dour utilitarian person who profoundly resents other people taking any joy in life. But I'm sure there are quite a few more like her in town who find any sort of communal expression like this to be an intolerable financial imposition. It's a weird libertarian streak unique to North America.

Look at how much the square cost. What's it for? We don't need it!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 2:43 AM

Quote:
I could quibble about some of the details, but on the whole I think they did a nice job. We've now got a proper square in the centre of the city. I think it's terrific.

This particular neighbour is a dour utilitarian person who profoundly resents other people taking any joy in life. But I'm sure there are quite a few more like her in town who find any sort of communal expression like this to be an intolerable financial imposition. It's a weird libertarian streak unique to North America.

Look at how much the square cost. What's it for? We don't need it!
Presbyterian?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 3:19 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Presbyterian?
I assume so. Right out of central casting.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 4:02 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Some photos of tall ships visiting Halifax.

A local one:

Gallery

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada