HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 2:42 PM

DC- Wizards and Caps ditching DC for Alexandria, VA

Capitals, Wizards To Move To Virginia, Anchor Massive New Entertainment District

Washington, D.C.Economic Development
December 13, 2023 Emily Wishingrad, Washington, D.C.
D.C.’s NHL and NBA teams have reached a deal to move from the District to Virginia — a move of a little over 6 miles that has galactic-sized implications.

Ted Leonsis, owner of the Washington Wizards and Capitals, announced Wednesday morning the teams plan to vacate the 26-year-old Capital One Arena in downtown D.C. in favor of a new mixed-use entertainment district planned in Alexandria’s Potomac Yard neighborhood...

https://www.bisnow.com/washington-dc...lopment-122054

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 3:18 PM
Show me the blueprints

Hmmm...

What's the local take on this?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Hmmm...

What's the local take on this?

It depends what circles you’re in and all the takes are from whatever narrative you want it to fit.

From further out Loudon County type suburbanites, it’s proof DC is crime ridden.
From some DC folks, it’s proof the city didn’t take Monumental serious
From some DC folks, we shouldn’t bow down to Billionaire owners
From some DC folks, the Wizards are important to DC’s black community and should remain
From some close-in suburban folks (close-in, the more urban crowd in Arlington, Crystal City, Alexandria, etc), meh. Pretty muted or like the idea of Monumental in DC for an excuse to go to DC
From locals directly in the area, muted but don’t want it due to infrastructure and congestion (which is a legit concern)
From DC gov. officials: urgency to keep Monumental for tax revenue purposes
From
From some DC activist: the city shouldn’t focus on Monumental and restore some cuts to SNAP benefits instead and more housing instead of millions to Monumental
From VA officials & Gov: pat on the back
DC business organizations: sounding the alarm
VA business organizations: salivating at reports of billions in economic activity and tens of thousands of jobs

My take is. It’s a non-binding agreement, it’ll require at least 1 billion from Virginia and Monumental will remain in DC for several more years. There’s also,again, infrastructure issues. The new Metro station only has 1 exit/entrance and the roads don’t really have that capacity. There’s less road and mass transit options (see a map if you’re not familiar with the roads)

Because of that, I personally think it’s more likely the team ends up staying in DC and the governor will have egg on his face given it was announced as if it were a done deal. I thought it was and am quite surprised how little seems to be settled.

My negative perspective for DC if it loses the team: Chinatown could spiral further than what it is (it’s one of the areas IMO that hasn’t recovered from the weird Covid era. Union Station and other areas reverted to a sense of normalcy) & hurt revenue

My positive perspective: DC has areas that are having massive booms and transformations (Buzzard Point, SW, Navy Yard, Union Market, NoMa) and two of the zip codes are building the most Multifamily in the country. The people who visit games and leave are in a bubble so there’s this weird dynamic of people coming solely for events and maybe eating out along side normal life there like oil and water that don’t have much synergy. More mixed use, more residential (come on. A Chinatown neighborhood is cool if there was more space to build new housing. Especially post 2005 and getting in the late 2010’s urbanity has taken a great swing to good ground level) could maybe spur the neighborhood more than sports attendees.it could help our housing goals and I’m just not a fan of one group of people occupying the same space as others but somehow … it’s as if it’s two separate worlds…

My urban nerd perspective for VA: from Ballston, snaking through Rosslyn, around to National Landing (ok, I admit. It’s convenient to use one name than Pentagon City,Crystal City and Potomac Yards are times)and Alexandria to Eisenhower Metro is a very dense, urban core and will be a pretty solid wall of it excluding the portion around the Cemetery and actual Pentagon itself.

I know that’s a long post with lots of words but I just haven’t seen a consistent view - though maybe it’ll change when it seems the team is actually moving out

My

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 11:26 PM
Show me the blueprints

Thanks for the post.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 2:38 AM

Ugh, this sucks. The downtown arena isn't that old, and could be renovated. Outside of NYC, it's the most transit-oriented arena in the U.S. Now we get another pseudo-urban pastiche in NoVa. Potomac Yards is relatively close-in, but you know it's gonna cater to suburbanite drivers, and the planning is gonna be more Tysons-Pentagon City type crap.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:18 PM

Alexandria Kills Plan To Build $2B Entertainment District For Capitals, Wizards...

The plan to move D.C.'s NHL and NBA teams to Virginia to anchor a massive entertainment district won't move forward.

https://www.bisnow.com/washington-dc...is-dead-123547

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:40 PM
A Man In Dandism

Great news.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:20 PM
Show me the blueprints

Take that Virginia

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development