HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 2:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm4 View Post
Umm if I was a mod, I'd definitely be taking some action against delboy here #justsaying His comments are beyond inappropriate on a forum
How are my comments any worse than stating that boomers are responsible for destroying the next generation's futures? And having a pop at someone for spelling is childish. And having a pop about the mess that American policy has got us into is much the same and was intended to make a point.

I was stated out trying to offer a different perspective and there could have been some good discussion.

My God, complain if you want and I can get sent to my room....can't say I'd give shit.

I apologise if anyone was offended....you all need to get some thicker skins.....jeez....

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 2:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
Well since we are all human and as a species virtually genetically equal no mater what generation we are a part of. Plus each generation is raised and brought up by the previous one, I would say no one has any grounds to proclaim one generation better or worse than any other.

We are all the same, more than people would think or like to think. The only difference is the world around us and our perception of it based on experience which is a result of our current age and the world around while we aged.

At least thats my opinion of the subject.
well said....

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 4:56 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonfiction View Post
It seems silly to deem entire generations of people good or bad and only digresses into conflict, like the one here. Every generation has its pros and cons, its successes and failures, most of which were made by a tiny slice of society that no individuals can take credit for or be blamed for.
But it's so fun to put people in boxes. It gives our lives some sort of completeness. Besides, isn't it cool to blame your parents for everything?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 11:14 PM

Arrow ?? ...... a possible synthesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
The article is about Canada, not the UK. Canadian boomers, especially Vancouverites, had an easier life than any generation in history and still managed to mess it up for all future generations.

Hahah yeah the boomers were great money managers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy View Post
i suggest you actually read the article, lots of referrences to the UK.
My point is that we all need to take some responsability, for the state of things and I'd like to see where these 'easy' days were.....bullshit
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
How did baby boomers destroy everyone's future?

If you're referring to the environment, they did not invent the industrial revolution. And they, not The Greatest Generation, were certainly instrumental in starting the environmental movement in the Western World. Gen X, Y and the Millenials have also been happy to buy up stuff produced in China with no environmental safeguards.

As to what it means to Vancouver, conventional wisdom holds it will mean a move out of single family homes to condos. In theory that should lead to a tapering off of demand for SFH, but lots of Greatest Generation neighbours have been taken out of their houses in a box, I'm not sure the boomers will be any different.
Quote:
scuse me are you a yank then too.......? talk about throwing stones in glass houses....

I was defending myself against twatish comments like this one from pison:

""Boomers are the worst generation North America has ever seen. Thanks for destroying everyone's future".

Simonfiction is right, but I resent it being suggested that we boomers had it easy and fucked the world while we were living off the hog.....I remember how hard it was, bloody hard and not just for me but a hell of lot of us. I have every right to comment ......now go take a very long walk off a very short bridge.....
Quote:
How are my comments any worse than stating that boomers are responsible for destroying the next generation's futures? And having a pop at someone for spelling is childish. And having a pop about the mess that American policy has got us into is much the same and was intended to make a point.

I was stated out trying to offer a different perspective and there could have been some good discussion.

My God, complain if you want and I can get sent to my room....can't say I'd give shit.

I apologise if anyone was offended....you all need to get some thicker skins.....jeez....
!!!!

Maybe it's good to remember that external, perceived-or-unperceived, forces and elements do shape our lives and individual perceptions.

But please remember also:

We have no choice:

-when we were born
-our inheritied genetic make-up determining largely appearance and temperament, and intelligence (largely)
-no choice of who our parents with their genetic makeup and attitudes will impact uon us
-the socioeconomic constraints/privileges imposed by a given financial circumstance, high or low
-the behaviour of others and our resultant attitudes
-the fact that life is numbered, whether we're boomers or not-- a bit older perhaps, sometimes a generation younger-- at this website alone, we all know...
>>> You can't fight time any more than King Knut could fight the waves.

It is my opinion (humble, of course) that it may be best to try and "accept" otherwise stated "flow" with what you think sould/shouldn't have been, and perceive and internalize it, integrating it into the person you are.
This thread, in fact, a very subjective thread ... People looking at a slice of time, filtered through their own perceptions and experience.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 7:36 PM

There's a column in Friday's Globe & Mail about this issue:

...But then we began wondering who’s going to buy our homes.

It’s a question that Dowell Myers of the University of Southern California has pondered, too. He is among a number of urban planners and demographers predicting another housing crash, this one caused by the massive sell-off by boomers wanting to downsize.

In a 2008 paper co-written with Sung Ho Ryu, Prof. Myers said communities in the United States face a historic tipping point. The ratio of seniors to working-age residents is expected to grow by roughly 30 per cent in each of the next two decades, the pair calculated....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1867849/

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 10:25 PM
Vancouverite

Wow, I never wondered about that.
Maybe children to inherit the houses?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 1:58 AM
Vancouver User

It's going to be a huge issue... much moreso though in the states, and potentially Toronto, then here in Vancouver.

When you have people living in large, expensive homes a several hour commute (round-trip) from a major city where the jobs are theoretically located... why would someone want that?!

The suburbs are dead?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 7:57 PM

Enjoy a late retirement, boomers (moreso for the later ones). There just won't be enough public money to support you all.

Maybe you can return your kids the favour by moving in with them.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics