HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 7:35 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper03 View Post
Wow, it's discussed here, too. You guys should first realize this is a miserable thing happening in the west end of Canada.
I'm living neither in Vancouver nor in BC, but I kind of know how Canadians think and people outside of Canada think about it.
Long story short, they call Canada the 51 state of the great and mighty empire, the United States of America.

Point Roberts demonstrates it very well. Every time I see it on a map I think
'Wow.. I love Canada, but this is really miserable.. miserable looser situation..a completely controlled slave land of the US.'
Above is a joke, of course, but I still think Point Robert really should join Canada.

Canada might want to pay descent amount of money to the US (Win-win negotiation), or even sell a land piece equivalent in size or value if it's necessary. I think it's still worth it.

As you well know, Canadians lost Alaska and the long coastline stretches to southeast far beyond the mainland Alaska.
Okay... that's fine. But then, the largest city of the province and the third largest city in the federation is a puny border town. I mean, forget about the border in south east of Surrey, look at Point Roberts. It's as if the US put a huge 'control center' right beside the heart of BC, to control "the west coast of the 51 state". I mean... Look at some maps. LOL It's like they put a little territory right beside the city of Toronto or Montreal.

US has California which is warm and full of useful lands, Oregon, and lastly Seattle safely and peacefully in the middle of Washington State. On the other hand, the west coast of Canada is just a bunch of islands and mountains, and not much space to build city or some modern human civilization. (It is cold up there too.) Yet the only blessed piece of land is almost right in the border...
I personally think Frazer Lowland should all belong to B.C. to be fair, but even if people think "well it's a done deal and we don't care", Point Roberts seems to be too much to take.

Plus when I look at a map, I wonder why Canadians had to build Tsawwassen ferry terminal like that when Point Robert is in further south and the sea right off the point seems to be deep enough for large ships. Anyway, there are a lot of reasons why Canada should get Point Roberts, while it can be nothing more than an additional tiny piece of land in a complicated location for the US.
Therefore, I think Canada really should have a serious talk with the US about this matter.
what the hell are you smoking???

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Pretty sure they sell it to us if we offered them an obscene amount of money, it doesn't pose any significance to the US, unlike the Alaskan panhandle.

An interesting fact is a chuck of Point Roberts is actually on Canadian soil, due to improper mapping at the time the border there is about 200m too far north.

While we're at it we should buy the Northwest Angle and Elm Point, Or at least have someone buy up all the land kick everyone off the land then have a referendum to seperate and a couple of years later align with Canada.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but you're right! And it's not just point roberts, but the entire 49th parallel!

https://goo.gl/maps/BdwlM
https://goo.gl/maps/xY598

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 6:14 PM

It's a non starter, so forget it.
THE USA would no more give up Point Roberts than they would Pelee Island (Lake Erie), or the neck in Lake-of-the-Woods.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
"What would it take to get Point Roberts to join Metro Vancouver"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l91ISfcuzDw

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 7:04 PM

Point Roberts serves a useful purpose. Allows us to conveniently pick up cheap packages sent to the US

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 7:29 PM

^^Exactly. Point Roberts would lose its main purpose if it became Canadian. No one other than SSPers would want this lol

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 8:14 PM
See ya down under, mates

Let's just give the Fraser Valley to America instead. Then I can move to California. Sounds great!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 5:21 PM

Point Roberts would have been Canadian a long time ago, but for one thing. It is too valuable. It is the best American access for Fraser River salmon.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 12:38 PM

Forget Point Roberts. The Americans might as well take up Vancouver to be a US city so I can freely move anywhere to chase the American Dream. Hahaha

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 1:06 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by manguin View Post
Forget Point Roberts. The Americans might as well take up Vancouver to be a US city so I can freely move anywhere to chase the American Dream. Hahaha
Great minds think alike, but great minds don't read two posts (and six months) before theirs.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds88 View Post
Point Roberts serves a useful purpose. Allows us to conveniently pick up cheap packages sent to the US
100% correct!

Also gas, and those awesome Tillamook dairy products.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues