HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 8:07 AM

Restaurants hiking prices for the 2010 Games

Source: http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...ritishColumbia

Quote:
By: ctvbc.ca

Date: Wednesday Feb. 3, 2010 2:20 PM PT

Some Vancouver restaurants are raising their prices during the two weeks of the 2010 Games, a CTV News investigation has found.

At Bean around the World in Yaletown, regular visitors were being offered a customer card they were told would help them avoid higher prices during the Olympics.

When an undercover CTV secret shopper asked about the card, he was told by a staff member prices on products would rise "probably 20 or 50 cents."

"We just know the prices are going up," the staff member said.

CTV's Chris Olsen watched as a customer in front of him was told the exact same thing -- prices were going to be higher for Olympics visitors. The card would get locals a regular price.

"I just think that gouging people for a two week event is just wrong," the customer, Peter Jansen, said.

"You'll get way more by being nice to people than you will by gouging people."

The Olympic effect is showing up on other menus around the city.

At Burgoo restaurant on Main Street, the menu now reads "February table guests may be subject to a 10 per cent Winter Games service charge."

CTV was told the policy is directed at people from countries that don't normally add tips to bills.

The BC Restaurant Association has been telling its members not to raise prices for the Games because regulars won't like it.

"The restaurants want to be here for their domestic market because when the Olympics are gone we still have our domestic customers to care of," President Ian Tostenson said.

He says having a two price system for locals and visitors isn't good for the city.

"We don't need that reputation in Vancouver."

But some restaurant prices are rising to pay for increased costs and services.

At the Cactus Club's three downtown Vancouver locations only, prices are going up by three per cent on average. The hike will pay for an enclosed patio, more TVs, DJ's to entertain customers and the cost of early morning deliveries mandated by Games security, said restaurant president Richard Jaffray.

"I don't think that this three percent increase is going to recover all our additional costs so we're hoping the business makes up for it," he said.

"So I understand people's concern with that but I think it's fair and it keeps everyone in check frankly."

Cactus Club has not ruled out an automatic gratuity for those unaccustomed to Canadian tipping customs.

"In the downtown location it is something we are considering but if we did implement it we would simply make it optional that someone could opt out of," Jaffray said.

CTV News contacted Bean around the World's head office and told them what it's investigation had found.

After it's own internal investigation, the company now says the cards are so locals can bypass expected long food line ups for the Olympics. They added that coffee prices -- which were increased by five per cent in December -- will not be going up again for the Games.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 8:19 AM

I will avoid any place that tries to gouge for the games. NOT gonna happen, and I WON'T be coming to your restaurant once everyone else goes home.

We'll see how long you last after those 2 weeks

I also don't like adding gratuity, especially 20%. Yes, it is true that most Countries don't have gratuity. However, I can say I genuinely ALWAYS get better service in those Countries

Maybe they need to step up their game a little if they want 20%

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 8:22 AM
Hello World

I will most certainly not visit any restaurants that try to raise their prices for this. Added gratuity is also a big no no. Do they not know what the definition of a tip means ?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 3:56 PM

Our bill at La Bodega was ~ 10% higher than usual last week....

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 4:43 PM

The big question is, will they all drop back to previous levels after the games? I bet some of the smaller (~3%) increases will remain.

Aren't these same restaurants engaged in a bitter battle over the HST, claiming their business will collapse? Oh the hypocrisy never ends.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 7:44 PM

Shameful. But no worse than the hotels, who were asked not to raise prices and gouge tourists during the Games and seem to have promptly thrown that advice out the window.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 8:00 PM

Well, hotels I can understand. Restaurants not so much.

Hotels are very rarely, if ever, full. That you can attribute supply and demand too, and locals usually don't stay at hotels. It requires longer shifts (or just more people) in housekeeping, and everyone else.

Restaurants, however... I don't feel they should be gouging, as some can't be busier than they usually already are

I think I usually tip well, but, I usually don't tip 20% Does anyone?? I very rarely have food so good I wish to depart with more money.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 8:03 PM

Only on a very small bill under $20 (such as when eating by myself)..

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 8:06 PM

Hmm, well, yes, I suppose for a nice lunch I'll leave a couple of dollars, and usually it is under $10 - $20. Like at JapaDog lol.

But for nicer dinners, when the bill is nearing $100... I usually don't give $20! I don't order alcohol and I don't tip 20%... I wonder if they hate me

Must be nice for everyone else (well most Countries) in the World outside North America to not have to worry about tipping.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 8:09 PM
See ya down under, mates

The wife and I decided to move Valentine's day up to the 10th to hopefully avoid some of the gouging/crowds.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
The wife and I decided to move Valentine's day up to the 10th to hopefully avoid some of the gouging/crowds.
Probably a good idea. Not only is it Valentines, but also Chinese New Year.

BUSY BUSY BUSY!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 1:05 AM

Angry

I'll post here if I hear of any place that's gouging.

I expect some people to do this-the restaurant business is full of low lifes and sleaze bags.

NOTE-trucking companies aren't charging more to deliver after hours, so why is Cactus Club upping their prices?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 1:24 AM

"Gouging"?

The price of a meal has effectively been bid up by the extra people who will be in the city. There's nothing morally wrong with charging what people are willing to pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Hotels are very rarely, if ever, full. That you can attribute supply and demand too, and locals usually don't stay at hotels. It requires longer shifts (or just more people) in housekeeping, and everyone else.

Restaurants, however... I don't feel they should be gouging, as some can't be busier than they usually already are
I think you might want to review supply and demand. Prices rising when demand outstrips supply is exactly what should happen.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 1:26 AM

No, there is nothing "wrong" with it. But it's not appreciated lol

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 1:28 AM

Guess I will NEVER have a coffee at Bean around the world again. EVER.

I thought this was illegal, if it is I hope these companies especially Bean around the World get the maximum fine and get ridiculed.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 1:33 AM

Why would it be illegal? We're not communist. Yet

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quobobo View Post
"Gouging"?

The price of a meal has effectively been bid up by the extra people who will be in the city. There's nothing morally wrong with charging what people are willing to pay.

I think you might want to review supply and demand. Prices rising when demand outstrips supply is exactly what should happen.
How can these people "bid up" the cost of restaurant meals when they're not even here yet?

And tipping 20% is for Americans, who seem to have a compulsive need to tip everyone in the service industry.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
How can these people "bid up" the cost of restaurant meals when they're not even here yet?
Anticipation. The business owners aren't living in a bubble where they have no idea that the Olympics are coming.

Prices are likely being adjusted a bit early to avoid possible disruptions (any unforeseen issues with the business software, locals like the ones in this thread getting pissed off, etc.) during an extremely busy period. Not to mention that there's a fair amount of people here for the Olympics already.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 2:04 AM
BANNED

BC has = (B)ring (C)ash for many years now. But the Olympics will only exacerbate that problem. I've very glad I don't live anywhere near Vancouver while these games are going on.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 2:08 AM
testify

interesting, but i doubt many restaurants will be doing this. it's sort of crazy to annoy the locals. the smart move for the managers here would be to content themselves with the extra business.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining