HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Jul 19, 2010, 5:03 AM

Cosplay cafes opened

Not sure how this can help to attract customers.

Quote:
'Cute' cosplay cafes expand from Asia into Metro Vancouver
By Vivian Luk, Vancouver Sun July 18, 2010 8:02 PM

VANCOUVER - In the busy streets of Tokyo, it’s unremarkable for a person to walk into a café and be greeted by a bowing waitress in a French-maid outfit. Neither is it unusual for diners to patronize a jail-themed restaurant, and be handcuffed and led to a dining table nestled behind bars by a waitress dressed up as a sexy prison guard.

These so-called cosplay (short for “costume play”) cafés, where staff are dolled up in a variety of kinky costumes to bus tables and take orders, have been all the rage in Tokyo since the 1990s. Like wildfire, they have spread to other Asian cities, including Taipei, Singapore and Hong Kong.

Now, one has finally landed in Metro Vancouver.

At the Magnetic Café in Richmond, young waitresses in quirky guises eagerly serve up Taiwanese bubble tea and signature dishes such as crispy fried chicken nuggets or pancakes with green onions. Depending on the week, the waitresses could be French maids, policewomen, sailors or schoolgirls.

As one customer, Clement Lam, 23, puts it: “If little Asian girls in costumes float your boat, then it’s awesome.”

For years, all sorts of popular consumer trends have come from Asia’s trendsetting cities to Vancouver via both immigration and travel. For example, Tokyo brought us ionic hair-straightening salons and Hong Kong introduced pre-sale condos. And Taipei gave us the quintessential bubble tea café.

The cosplay café, however, is perhaps the most eye-catching one of all.

Owner Angela Chang had always dreamed of opening up her own bubble tea café after bartending in one for two years.

The stay-at-home mom had no business experience, but last month, she bought out an existing bubble tea business for $180,000 and reopened it as the Magnetic Café with seating for 110 people.

While Chang has hired a new chef and changed some food and drink items, she didn’t mess with the core of the business: a restaurant with servers who dress up as different Japanese anime or manga-inspired characters.

“I’ve heard about such restaurants in Taiwan, but I really just followed the pre-owner’s idea,” said Chang, who immigrated to Vancouver from Taiwan 10 years ago. “I think it’s really unique. No other restaurant [in Vancouver] does this.”

Cosplay cafés first popped up in Tokyo’s Akihabara district. Mainly, they feature female employees who dress up as French maids and greet customers with a deep bow and a soft, “Welcome home, Master.” Some would even get down on their knees to stir cream and sugar into a customer’s coffee, or to spoon-feed them.

Since then, theme restaurants with a cosplay feel have made their way from Japan to other cities in Asia such as Singapore, Taipei and Hong Kong. For a fun night out, diners can live it up at a hospital restaurant, where waitresses dressed up as nurses serve drinks via intravenous drip bags or syringes, and bring food to an operating table.

“It’s a risky concept no matter how you think of it,” Magnetic Café manager Don Lui said. “Some people may find it controversial or demeaning, but it depends on how tasteful you keep it. It’s no different from a casual uniform, other than they change every week.”

Waitress Mandy Yeh, 19, said she has no problem wearing a baby blue, polka-dotted maid outfit complete with a frilly white apron and a matching hair band to serve meals.

“I think it’s pretty special and I’ve been told I look really cute,” she said. Pointing to her skirt, which hits just above the knee, she added, “I don’t feel uncomfortable.”

Business has been slow during lunch hours, said Chang, but once 9 p.m. rolls around, customers flock in by the dozens. Most of them are young Asian men.

“We’re targeting a group that no other bubble tea place is targeting,” Lui said. “Usually, when you think of bubble tea, you think of girls who sit in a café, chatting for hours, while guys are more likely to grab a quick bite or order takeout and go. But we actually have more guys who want to spend time here.”

Lui said he has no doubt that some guys are “probably there to check out the girls,” but the café does try to play down the fetish aspect that some North Americans may associate with cosplay restaurants.

“The costumes aren’t a sexy thing, they’re a cute thing,” Lui said. “If I look at our customer base, they don’t seem like the kind of guys [who would be] into fetishes. Nobody has tried to harass our waitresses or make derogative comments.”

Indeed, David Sun, who dropped by the new Magnetic Café last week, said the Japanese kimonos that the waitresses were sporting that night were just “all right.”

“If they’re wearing something new, then it’s good to look at, but if the food was horrendous I probably wouldn’t come back,” he said.

Still, to keep the cosplay idea fresh and to make her restaurant stand out from the competition, Chang is ordering more costumes online from Taiwan.

“I’m thinking nurses, flight attendants and car-show models,” she said.

vluk@vancouversun.com
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
Source: http://www.vancouversun.com/entertai...#ixzz0u6LfcSOs

Old Posted Jul 19, 2010, 5:15 AM

You're obviously not Asian Yeeeah its just reopening of the old one under a new management, that old place called gogo or something if I remembered.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2010, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usog View Post
You're obviously not Asian Yeeeah its just reopening of the old one under a new management, that old place called gogo or something if I remembered.
yeah, they were full on cosplay and then they just became lolita and then just casual clothing. hopefully the new management can keep the cosplay up.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2010, 5:32 AM
Vancouver Moderator

The problem is, the "cute" girls there aren't "cute" enough.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2010, 5:38 AM

they should hire some trannies

Old Posted Jul 19, 2010, 6:09 AM

Maybe we'll get Neko cafes next. At least then you'll likely be more satisfied with your cat-date than a moderately "cute" waitress.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2010, 7:24 AM

uh

welp...

Old Posted Jul 19, 2010, 7:54 AM

I hope those waitresses get paid a bit more...that's all I can say loll. IMO, this is sort of like Asian Hooters.

Now if only there were something like this for the gay demographic...

Old Posted Jul 19, 2010, 3:59 PM
Community Guy

.... what a terrible horrible er idea.

yes terrible

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 1:29 AM
Urbis Maximus

^Zzzzzinnnng!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 5:53 AM
Site 8 Lives

I remember the GoGo Bubbletea Cafe being a letdown. Service was awful... cute outfits notwithstanding. I prefer Hooter's - too bad the forces of political correctness forced the Robson Street location to shut down!!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 7:22 AM
BANNED

Can they make another one for those of us that don't like asian girls?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 2:17 PM

The law of supply and demand will catch up to this place sooner or later...

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 2:39 PM

to be fair, cosplay cafes are not just for us males to oggle. it's usually the gals that want to go. i personally find many aspects of modern japan really weird and this being one of them so i don't usually partake.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 4:13 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearDop View Post
Can they make another one for those of us that don't like asian girls?
no

thank you for coming

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
I remember the GoGo Bubbletea Cafe being a letdown. Service was awful... cute outfits notwithstanding. I prefer Hooter's - too bad the forces of political correctness forced the Robson Street location to shut down!!
... sounds intriguing .... what exactly happened??

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 9:49 PM
BANNED

^yeah, did people protest Hooters?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 10:29 PM

no it shut down cause no wanted to go to it

robson street was a bad spot for it - the one in surrey lasted for years longer

I remember the hoo haw when it opened the news talked to stores in the area and the girls at the shops were like i think its degrading and sexist blah blah blah and in the reporters summary he was basically said well i don't see older unattracive workers at the gap or any other store on robson is there really any difference hiring a younger sexy girl to hawk tshirts or chicken wings?

I still remember Kenny Rogers Roasters that used to be there before hooters - seems not to be able to keep a place for long - well its current one seems okay

Old Posted Jul 22, 2010, 4:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
no it shut down cause no wanted to go to it
I can understand why.

I always thought Hooters girls were supposed to be fun-loving, upbeat and flirtatious. Well, the one time I went to a Hooters (the one that was on Robson), my server was cold, pushy and unfriendly. I almost think she was a plant from a radical feminist organization to try and put them out of business. I expect that woman single-handedly cost them some business.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2010, 4:34 AM
Community Guy

^cause you dids nots weared your confed flag.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining