HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 12:41 AM

Vancouver Hotel Development Thread

Didn't want to derail the BC Place / Paragon thread.

Quote:
Paragon Development and Marriott International Inc. announced today they have agreed to terms for two luxury hotels at Vancouver's new entertainment destination adjacent to BC Place, subject to obtaining internal and City of Vancouver approvals. Paragon and Marriott will be working together on the new JW Marriott, the first in British Columbia, as well as a luxury boutique hotel in Marriott's signature "Autograph Collection.

[...]

The JW Marriott brand will bring Vancouver a distinctive, upscale hotel in keeping with Vancouver's beautiful natural surroundings. The luxurious and inviting décor will draw from the province's organic characteristics and provide guests a complement of exceptional hotel services to make their experience special.

The second hotel, an intimate and modern boutique, will be a member of The Autograph Collection; joining a select group of independent and luxury tier properties, each with their own distinct brands and personalities. The new hotel will be the first major urban hotel in Canada to earn this designation and cater to guests who desire a more contemporary and intimate travel experience
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../11/c2947.html

If this goes through, Marriott will definitely be the leader in Vancouver in terms of hotel brands. Them having four brands (Marriott, Renaissance, JW, and Autograph) will outpace Starwood's presence of three brands (two Westins and the Sheraton Wall) in the downtown Vancouver area -- not to mention the absence of a boutique or luxury brand for Starwood in Vancouver.

This is more so of a downtown Vancouver analysis. Starwood is well presented in the suburbs with a Four Points, Sheraton, and a Westin in Richmond, a Sheraton in Surrey and the new Element that will be placed in the Sovereign building in Burnaby.

There's been talk about Starwood looking to launch their W brand in Vancouver for many years now without success. I wonder if this will start to put pressure to find a workable partnership soon.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 12:47 AM
Vancouverite

Is Starwood W an upscale hotel? Then I could see it aiming for a certain tower that turns.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikePhanta View Post
Is Starwood W an upscale hotel? Then I could see it aiming for a certain tower that turns.
It's their boutique trendy/bar star brand. Think of the OPUS in Yaletown, but darker hallways/rooms.

I can't see them putting a W in Vancouver's Turn, but perhaps a St. Regis or a Luxury Collection would be more fitting.

In terms of other possible luxury brands going into that spot -- Mandarin Oriental, Park Hyatt, Conrad (Hilton), Sofitel?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 1:24 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Not sure there is much more appetite for additional hotel rooms right now. As far I can recall we are currently over saturated.
With these two opening and only the Coast scheduled to close I'm not sure there will be any new large hotels opening d/t. Maybe a boutique here or there but I just don't see the market demand for another major hotel. Doesn't look good for Vancouver's Turn. The Hilton that was scheduled for Cambie and Robson is currently dead too.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Not sure there is much more appetite for additional hotel rooms right now. As far I can recall we are currently over saturated.
With these two opening and only the Coast scheduled to close I'm not sure there will be any new large hotels opening d/t. Maybe a boutique here or there but I just don't see the market demand for another major hotel. Doesn't look good for Vancouver's Turn. The Hilton that was scheduled for Cambie and Robson is currently dead too.
The Coast -- are you referring to the Coast Plaza Hotel and Suites on Denman? I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain that sometime last year, they had signed a 10 year lease with the new owners of the building to continue to operate.

I'm hearing that the Hilton is alive again. I'm not sure to what extent, but same owner/operator as the Hampton and the Georgian Court -- Mayfair.

While there's been a slight saturation in the market over the past few years, with Loden, Shangri-La, Pacific Rim and the Georgia all coming into the market, I would venture to say there is definitely still room for a luxury hotel south of 200 rooms. In the RC incarnation of the Turn, they were looking at 176 rooms.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognism View Post

I'm hearing that the Hilton is alive again. I'm not sure to what extent, but same owner/operator as the Hampton and the Georgian Court -- Mayfair.
Interesting, I hope something happens on that site. who are you hearing this from?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognism View Post
The Coast -- are you referring to the Coast Plaza Hotel and Suites on Denman? I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain that sometime last year, they had signed a 10 year lease with the new owners of the building to continue to operate.
Coast signed a 7-year lease. They will remain there until 2017.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 8:54 PM
Vancouverite

It seems like something is going on with the Blue Horizon hotel in the lower floors, don't exactly know what.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 9:07 PM

If the Hilton is alive again, I hope they revamp the design (unlikely though if it's the same operator?)

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 10:50 PM
ON3P Skis

With regards to the St. Regis brand, Rob MacDonald and his hotel at Seymour & Dunsmuir prevent anything happening with that brand in the city for now.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 7:45 PM

Conversion of the Plaza 500 at Cambie & 12th to a Hotel Indigo is well underway. A few interior renders here:
http://www.hotelindigo.com/h/d/in/1/...DetailHit=true

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 9:05 PM

accepting reservations for after august 1 2011 so they are getting a move on

W i could see one at like burrard and davie but that would never happen

the burrard motor in seems to be undergoing something - is it a reno? or what? its all shut down and tarped etc

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 2:57 AM

I'd like to see more "small but smart" boutique, New York - European style hotels like The Wedgewood in Vancouver. Walking past it, and seeing the aristocratic glow and glitter really adds something to the city. I'm sure that a fair number of visitors prefer this type of hotel, too, over the mega-hotels.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 3:29 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Depends on the visitor, the small boutique hotels can't offer the amenties the large hotels can at the same price points. Much harder having 20 guests pay to maintain a pool/steam room/spa/kitchen as opposed to 400guests. They each have their place I don't use the amenities so I like the small boutique hotels, but I know most of my colleagues are in the opposite boat.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 3:38 AM

the W's I have stayed at are all very large yet still have the boutique charm

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 4:44 AM
Shoebox Dweller

It is difficult to start a boutique hotel in Vancouver. Often times you have to convert an older residential building, which is difficult to do profitably with the saturated high-end hotel market in Vancouver and high real estate prices. The only real opportunity for this is the DTES, but these buildings are either heritage and too expensive to restore, or poverty pimps inc. denies demolition of old buildings. It is getting better now, but it is still quite difficult.

I wrote a business plan for a client a few years back for a boutique hotel and the margins were quite slim on a heritage restoration. In the end, the community protested it, and the building sits unused.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
I wrote a business plan for a client a few years back for a boutique hotel and the margins were quite slim on a heritage restoration. In the end, the community protested it, and the building sits unused.
By chance was this the Ace Hotel of Portland, Seattle, New York, and Palm Springs? I know they were looking very seriously at a building in Gastown but in the end the thing didn't pencil.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 6:27 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
the W's I have stayed at are all very large yet still have the boutique charm

What are the "W's"?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 7:11 AM

the W hotel?

the W in seattle

my-discount-hotels.com

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post

What are the "W's"?
Shot of my room at the W last time I was in New York in October. I think this was the original W, at Lexington and 49th. The hallways were way darker than the room!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy