HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 1:50 AM

Charles pocket park:

Modena (Madison & Hastings):

mine.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 9:24 PM

Madison & Dawson
from the Journal of Commerce June 27, 2017

http://journalofcommerce.com/Project...wson-1025086W/

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 11:02 PM

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 3:23 AM

It's too bad the one on Dawson is the standard short building. Given that Dawson is supposed to be a retail commercial street it would be nice to have high rises

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
It's too bad the one on Dawson is the standard short building. Given that Dawson is supposed to be a retail commercial street it would be nice to have high rises
I believe it is short because of the railway line that runs underneath the building

(There is a tunnel that goes from the Iron Workers to Brentwood look it up)

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.26423.../data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.29291.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 2:50 PM

Yeah I know there's the tunnel there. That wouldn't stop a high rise going over it lol

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah I know there's the tunnel there. That wouldn't stop a high rise going over it lol
It could restrict the depth of the u/g parking, which would likely be deeper with a highrise.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 5:47 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

There may also be a limit on the amount of surcharge load they can put on the soil.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 7:20 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by domusile View Post
It could restrict the depth of the u/g parking, which would likely be deeper with a highrise.
Couldn't they just build the parking into the podium like around Coquitlam Centre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
There may also be a limit on the amount of surcharge load they can put on the soil.
That seems more likely.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 9:23 PM

And then what's the reason for the short building on Dawson and willingdon? No tunnel there. Let's be honest, they are short because Burnaby doesn't want highrises on Dawson because it's a commercial street, just like the rest of the cities they seem to want to make it a "village". Unfortunate.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 10:43 PM

its not bad, gives a good mix

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 12:08 AM
perhaps . . .

Yes, why do so many of you seem to think anything but a high-rise is a loss? Brentwood is a big area and a mix of street types gives diversity and structure, which equals good place making.

Technical note: things like a 'surcharge' limit to loading would not apply - the railway tunnel could not be relied upon to take any load whatsoever - the building would have to transfer all of its load down and around the tunnel to solid 'earth' bearing below. There is nothing about a rail tunnel that would restrict any particular construction save added cost and/or Transport Canada's rules and regs.; especially surrounding the railway's transport of dangerous goods.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
Yes, why do so many of you seem to think anything but a high-rise is a loss? Brentwood is a big area and a mix of street types gives diversity and structure, which equals good place making.

Technical note: there is nothing about a rail tunnel that would restrict any particular construction save added cost and/or Transport Canada's rules and regs.; especially surrounding the railways transport of dangerous goods.
Why are so many of you happy with short low density projects along the main retail commercial streets in a given area?? They are doing this up on Hastings why not do something different here.

So you're for a mix of building types but you're happy with the generic 4-6 storey building that is all over the place? Lol why not do a ten storey etc

I'm all for a mix of different types of developments and high rise doesn't mean a point tower, it could be something different. Unfortunately we don't see a mix of developments on retail streets, basically all the same. There are streets like Alberni which is a great example of a vibrant retail street that breaks away from that "village" form

Last edited by osirisboy; Jun 29, 2017 at 12:34 AM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 2:48 AM
perhaps . . .

I actually didn't say any of the things you just rudely stuck in my mouth. If you want a fight, you are not going to get one from me.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 2:51 AM
See ya down under, mates

I would never actually want to live in a high rise but six storey wood frames near skytrain stations are a pretty big waste.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 4:19 AM

Quote:
I actually didn't say any of the things you just rudely stuck in my mouth. If you want a fight, you are not going to get one from me.
Easy there! I have no intentions on being rude or fighting, Sorry you misunderstood how I was coming across. And I thought you meant that these low rises provide a good mix and variety, which I disagree with, that's all

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 6:56 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
I would never actually want to live in a high rise but six storey wood frames near skytrain stations are a pretty big waste.
Tell that to Vienna, Prague, Berlin, Milan, Brussels, Amsterdam, Hamburg, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, Zurich, Turin, Valencia, Porto, Bari, Munich, Dublin, Edinburgh, Oslo and the rest that would be required to finish this list.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 6:58 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Easy there! I have no intentions on being rude or fighting, Sorry you misunderstood how I was coming across. And I thought you meant that these low rises provide a good mix and variety, which I disagree with, that's all
No worries, though somewhere in this subject matter I think we disagree. All I will say is complexity and difference are good things most of the time.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 7:08 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Tell that to Vienna, Prague, Berlin, Milan, Brussels, Amsterdam, Hamburg, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, Zurich, Turin, Valencia, Porto, Bari, Munich, Dublin, Edinburgh, Oslo and the rest that would be required to finish this list.
Tell them what? That more people living near rapid transit is good? I think they know.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 8:26 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Tell them what? That more people living near rapid transit is good? I think they know.
You must have felt a little breeze clip the top of your head.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley