HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 7:11 PM

Anti-Gentrification Thugs Target Pizzeria

For the third time Famoso Pizzeria on Commerical has been targetted by thugs protesting gentrification (as if Commercial wasn;t gentrified years ago). They claim to be "inspired" by the idiots protesting Pidgin in Gastown. What a pack of losers, I'll be going for pizza there soon (its good) to show my support.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ial-drive.html

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 8:36 PM

This has to be one of the first times I've agreed with most of the comments on the CBC article. I guess there's a first time for everything!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 9:13 PM

Time to install roll-down steel shutters.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 9:27 PM

Sounds like terrorists to me. I think if caught, they should be charged as such federally. It's one thing to protest, it is another to terrorize a neighborhood or businesses. There is no valid reason to do that anywhere.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 10:14 PM

Sure, let's go after the restaurant owners who on the best of days make a 10% profit margin.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 10:22 PM
ARTchitecture

Famoso rocks!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 11:16 PM
More Towers

Anyone that calls themselves an anarchist has no objective or message. Sure I'm happy to see the Pidgin "protestors" lumped in with them for laughs, but I wouldn't read too much into their statements.

Hope they catch them and fine them $100.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 7:16 AM
More Towers

They just stole Save on Meats' sign:

http://instagram.com/p/XGYe-0EOdD/

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 2:36 PM

and that's not all....

Perhaps even more alarming are the stabbings that took place in Surrey, as a sign of a society in civic decline.

Here in Paris, several days back, the carrriage of a southerly rapid rail commuter RER was overtaken systematically by a group of teens and pre-teens, 12 to 15 years old. They sprayed tear gas in people's faces and robbed them, and then fled.
Four were arrested.
On the Yahoo site on which it appeared there was a special request not to leave any comment or feedback due to the "delicate" nature of the incident.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...g-charges.html

http://m.thelocal.fr/page/view/polic...-train-robbery

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 2:36 PM

What a bunch of cowards, hiding behind anonymous screen names on the Internet. I honestly hope they are found and arrested. Sadly they'll probably only get a few months in prison, they should be sent to labor camps for 5 years and then have their wages garnished for as long as it takes to repay the business owners for the damage, lost business...with interest of course.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 3:35 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I think the most fitting punishment is forcing them to take a few classes in economics and spend say 500hrs unpaid hours over the course of a year working for large corporatation with the money they would've earned paid towards the victims. If they refuse then give them jail time.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
What a bunch of cowards, hiding behind anonymous screen names on the Internet.
Anyone who hids their face behind a mask or bandana while protesting is a coward. If you truly believe in what you're doing, then stand like an adult and show your face.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Perhaps even more alarming are the stabbings that took place in Surrey, as a sign of a society in civic decline.
2 random incidents signify societal decline even though study after study shows that crime is decreasing?

This is why not reporting on the Surrey girls' FAS is dangerous. It feeds these irrational fears of increasingly fallen youth, which have of course been around forever.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 6:10 PM

I agree ^^.

Our problems right now are simply repeat offenders. If they stopped the revolving doors we'd have even lower crime around. It is funny, I was always told growing up by friends that "If you're going to cause trouble, don't do 1 thing because they'll throw the book at you, do 50."

I would put money that these anarchists, like the girls in Surrey, have lengthy police records and run ins with police. The fact the girls in question had 140+ means the police are doing their jobs.

It's their parents failing as parents and the judges failing as judges not doing their jobs.

But an overall indication of some crazy state of youth and crime in Vancouver, as has been mentioned crime is actually quite low compared to per capita other areas of Canada and the world in general. We have it really good, don't let Police chiefs and the media scare you too much.

There will always be crime unfortunately, but if the worst our anarchists can do are break a few windows or steal a sign, as bad as that is and as annoying as that is to everyone, at least they aren't blowing things up like buses or using car bombs and IEDs like you get in many other parts of the world.

Some perspective.

I still think they should be charged as terrorists though to make a very serious point.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Our problems right now are simply repeat offenders. If they stopped the revolving doors we'd have even lower crime around. It is funny, I was always told growing up by friends that "If you're going to cause trouble, don't do 1 thing because they'll throw the book at you, do 50."
this is one million percent the truth.

We had caught a shoplifter and the police had an interaction with him but they had to let him go since there wasn't enough evidence, a few hours later he hit the same area again and the police ended up taking a full report. Mentioned to us that this guy had 50+ charges pending and that what they do is when they get out after their 5 day to 2 year sentence is hit as many places or commit as many crimes as possible because they will just take care of them all at once again. Now if you have had hundreds of interactions with law enforcement and keep doing it again and again, there has to be a point where we say enough is enough, you aren't getting out ever again unless you can prove to us that you are rehabilitated. I don't want to advocate a US style justice system because obviously that doesn't work either but there has to be a point where something has to give.

With so much money being dumped into the DTES/addicts/poverty there has to be a better way. Seemingly the DTES costs more to operate than a federal prison (and seemingly serves a smaller population) and I would say that not very much of that money ends up helping these habitual offenders (whether it be because of addiction, mental illness or both). Then you have these "anarchists" which no doubt have ties to these poverty pimps that are receiving government money trying to ensure the neighborhoods are kept in the dumps and you have problems like this.

I still remember the CTV coverage of the olympic riots and them catching one of the main spokespeople hiding in an alley with some of these masked "anarchists" in a way associating them with these extremist groups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWcWKz0knY8

Old Posted Apr 2, 2017, 8:46 PM

if there spray paints and tools etc aren't from homemade sources like berries and flowers then they are using gentrified suppliers

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining