HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 1:09 AM

From the webcam today:

http://tld-riversky.com/slideshow.htm

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 4:45 PM

A friend of mine who lives quite close to this site says that the pile driving has finished. Here's an image from today:

Source: Riversky webcam

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 5:25 PM
victory in near

I'm surprised that pit is not full of water

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 7:58 PM

What a relief that must be for the area. I remember pile driving during the RAV Line construction. It was horrible.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
What a relief that must be for the area. I remember pile driving during the RAV Line construction. It was horrible.
There were times I was in the stores at the ticket level of New West Station and you could feel the floor / ground move with every strike.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
There's another building at the Shops At New West complex that's going up, and they were piledriving at the same time as Riversky was. They still might, so I don't know if they've got the relief yet!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
A friend of mine who lives quite close to this site says that the pile driving has finished. Here's an image from today:

Source: Riversky webcam
Your friend has a nice view and hopefully he keeps updating us on the progress!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Your friend has a nice view and hopefully he keeps updating us on the progress!
I hope Riversky wont block your friend 's view.

btw a little off topic: why are some buildings need pile driving, whereas others in Burnaby which are higher do not need it? Even buildings in Richmond which is on unstable soil don't need pile driving..... since I am not a builder or civil engineer.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 5:06 AM

Two factors...this is very close to the river, if you look back at its history, this spot might have even been on the river in the distant past and is now filled in land. The second reason, which is related to the first reason, is its height that requires piling since Richmond buildings will never be built this tall relative to Riversky. (being so close to the airport etc.)

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 6:38 AM
perhaps . . .

I will just add a little to what clee7903 said. It is all about load (the weight of the structure), and bearing capacity of the ground available to support load. Most areas of the Lower Mainland have very good load bearing capacity and require nothing but footings on top of undisturbed ground. In general, soils composed of fill from human activity or from river deposits (the whole delta region) have poor bearing capacity.

For locations with poor bearing, lower, wider, lighter buildings can get away with what are called raft foundations in which the weight is spread out over the whole site. For taller buildings this isn't possible. The only option is to increase the bearing capacity or find a way to spread the load out vertically.

Two kinds of piling are used separately or in combination to solve this problem. First, large deep piles generate enough friction to support the building. This is a way to spread the load out vertically. Second: when you see tight grids or other patterns of medium or small diameter piles, the piles are physically compacting the soil by the space they take up. This compaction increases bearing capacity, and along with the friction developed by those same piles, provides enough strength to support the building. The last component is the foundation which sits atop the piles. This translates the bearing capacity into the shape required to hold up the structural system (slabs & columns) above.

This project along with the final New West station tower across the street are using compaction piles. I don't know if they are doing other things as well.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 6:52 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarBreStr18 View Post

btw a little off topic: why are some buildings need pile driving, whereas others in Burnaby which are higher do not need it? Even buildings in Richmond which is on unstable soil don't need pile driving..... since I am not a builder or civil engineer.
Most of Burnaby sits fairly close to the bedrock so anchoring towers is relatively easy, Same with most of New West except for this spot which has very deep glacial till and river sediment. The bedrock drops off a few blocks away from this spot and right here was a wharf with old wood piles and building debris.

pic from excavation

from: http://www.newwestrecord.ca/news/new...oper-1.2268301

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 10:20 PM
perhaps . . .

That's a great shot of the kind of junk (esp., organic material) typically found in fill and river sediments . . . layers of this stuff recording floods and human dumping and left overs, like dock piles left to rot in place. Other layers are more homogeneous and predictable for the engineer to work off. In this project, they likely (just a guess) excavated to below this kind of mess.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarBreStr18 View Post

thanks all for your explanations....lots of knowledgeable contributors in this forum

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 5:40 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
That's a great shot of the kind of junk (esp., organic material) typically found in fill and river sediments . . . layers of this stuff recording floods and human dumping and left overs, like dock piles left to rot in place. Other layers are more homogeneous and predictable for the engineer to work off. In this project, they likely (just a guess) excavated to below this kind of mess.
Some of that debris is also likely from the 1898 fire as i believe they used the demolished building debris to expand the waterfront.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 6:28 AM
perhaps . . .

Yes, I have heard that as well. They probably mistakenly thought it would shore things up.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 1:13 AM

The webcam shows poured concrete (so it's now under construction):

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 10:24 PM

From the webcam today:

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 2:06 AM

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 11:36 PM

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 2:29 AM
BANNED

Am I mistaken or did I read somewhere that one of these towers was supposed to be close to 170 meters?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley