HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 7:54 PM
Droppin' Loads

Sure, something like the Hearst Tower would be great. Especially if it was as green as the Hearst. But the project you posted is not really a tower at all, just a big box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 7:58 PM
Droppin' Loads

In other news...

Quote:
San Francisco lawmakers approve Twitter tax break

Marcus Wohlsen, Associated Press – Tue Apr 5, 7:57 pm ET

SAN FRANCISCO – City lawmakers approved a tax break Tuesday to keep Twitter Inc. from fleeing San Francisco.

The measure that passed with an 8-3 vote by the Board of Supervisors exempts Twitter from a payroll tax on new hires if the micro-blogging service moves to the blighted Mid-Market area.

The exemption applies to any business in the neighborhood, but city officials called Twitter the big fish that could spur economic growth.

"We finally have a chance to put into place a policy that will bring economic development and jobs," said Supervisor Jane Kim, who represents the area. "This ordinance offers hope to revitalize a long neglected part of our city."

Twitter is already outgrowing its current San Francisco headquarters, and the company is poised to expand from a few hundred to a few thousand workers...
full article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110405/...tter_tax_break

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 9:03 PM
Only Mostly Dead

For some reason, the board has to vote on it again next week before it goes to the Mayor for signature. I don't know why, but with an 8-3 tally I don't think there's much chance of the approval changing.

Also read today that the Burning Man Foundation is moving into the David Hewes Building at 6th and Market. Lot's of good news for Mid-Market today!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 2:28 PM
Droppin' Loads

Interesting video about workers rehearsing how they will fit the saddle atop the Bay Bridge's new single-anchor suspension tower next month

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-...264?source=rss

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 3:02 PM
Droppin' Loads

Quote:
SFO Terminal 2 ready for takeoff

21:39 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- The first plane to unload at San Francisco International Airport's sleekly remodeled Terminal 2 had stenciled on its fuselage: "My other ride is a spaceship."

This is the future of San Francisco air travel.

Virgin America Flight VX2001 and its star-studded passenger list christened the rebirth of San Francisco's vintage 1954 terminal Wednesday. The building underwent a $383 million upgrade designed to make it a model of sustainable development and relaxing travel.

Those are two concepts not often associated with U.S. airports, with their rigorous security screenings, drab waiting areas and overpriced chain food.

"We want to return the romance to travel, make it less stressful," airport spokesman Michael McCarron said. "This is an elegant place."

The refurbished terminal, which will open to commercial flights next Thursday, has waiting areas with white leather sofas, red banquettes and sci-fi-reminiscent "egg" chairs...
full article: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MN9R1IRE7R.DTL

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 10:49 PM
Droppin' Loads

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Also read today that the Burning Man Foundation is moving into the David Hewes Building at 6th and Market. Lot's of good news for Mid-Market today!
related article: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA3R1IRB9S.DTL

Quote:
Burning Man to join influx to S.F.'s Mid-Market

Rachel Gordon, Chronicle Staff Writer

The day after City Hall struck a deal to give Twitter and other businesses a tax break if they moved to San Francisco's Mid-Market and Tenderloin neighborhoods, city officials on Wednesday announced that Burning Man festival organizers will move their headquarters to Sixth and Market streets...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 6:16 PM

It will be interesting to see how these moves affect the Tenderloin.

I think the new bridge is starting to look pretty awesome!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 10:24 PM

Great news and a sign of the times:

http://www.baycitizen.org/business/s...ransformation/

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 4:48 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Some time ago there was talk of replacing the old Chronicle building and I remember most were happy to see it go. Personally, I'm glad to hear it's being incorporated into plans for the area. I know it's not some architecturally significant building, but I'd miss it.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 4:25 AM

More info about 1285 Sutter:

Quote:
Portland Developer Completes First San Francisco Buy
Submitted April 14, 2011, 10:20 AM

A Portland, Ore.,-based developer has closed on the $9.25 million acquisition of 1285 Sutter St. in downtown San Francisco. Gerding Edlen Development Co. proposes a mixed-use project with 107 apartments including affordable units, parking and a 10,000 square foot Trader Joe's market.

Gerding Edlen expects to invest in excess of $67 million in the project, said Kelly Saito, the company's chief operating officer. That includes land cost and construction.

The company is in the process of arranging financing to cover 60 percent of the project's cost and plans to break ground next month. It expects to take two years to finish. The developer intends to seek a LEED Gold certification.

“We think San Francisco is a very vibrant city and is attractive to many people around the country because of both its natural and cultural beauty," Saito said. "These factors make it an attractive market for us to invest and build in.”

The company expects renters at the project to include both young working professionals and more mature adults, he said.

1285 Sutter was the previous home of the Galaxy Theatre. Oakland-based BayRock Residential had sought to build 107 condos and 15,000 square feet of retail on the site.

Gerding Edlen bought the property from Boston-based Rockpoint Group, a global real estate investment manager with San Francisco offices. Rockpoint is known as an opportunity investor and commingled fund manager who works on behalf of pension funds and other institutional investors.

While it continues to look in San Francisco, Gerding Edlen is now scouring other parts of the Bay Area for investment opportunity, too, including Oakland and Berkeley Saito said. The company favors urban settings and entertains developments that have an office component as well. It both develops new and buys existing assets.

Besides the San Francisco region, it also looks to invest in Seattle, Portland and Los Angeles. Since 1996, Gerding Edlen has developed more than 60 projects of all property types totaling nearly $5 billion in real estate value in a variety of West Coast markets.
Source: http://www.theregistrysf.com/RTRE_ge...85_sutter.html

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 5:29 PM

Sutter & Van Ness - Defunct Galaxy Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
More info about 1285 Sutter:

Source: http://www.theregistrysf.com/RTRE_ge...85_sutter.html
1977 - thanks for the updatae. It has been long in coming for that site. The boarded windows is an eyesore in neighborhood. A friend once described the Galaxy Theater as a pile of telephone booths (for us old enough to remember what one is)!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 3:10 AM

Oh the ugly glass box building? Thank god! Whats the zoning on Van Ness? The city really just needs to re-zone the whole corridor to maybe 250 feet max cause there are a lot of nasty old buildings on that street that gots to go.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 4:55 PM
Sonoma Strong

the fairmont condo tower is officially dead:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...1S1M.DTL&tsp=1

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPA View Post
Oh the ugly glass box building? Thank god! Whats the zoning on Van Ness? The city really just needs to re-zone the whole corridor to maybe 250 feet max cause there are a lot of nasty old buildings on that street that gots to go.
The Van Ness Plan was completed in the mid-90's, I believe, and can be found here:

http://www.sf-planning.org/ftp/gener...n_Ness_Ave.htm

Nowhere on Van Ness is anything approaching 250' allowed, except for the corner of Market & Van Ness, which is a part of a separate plan (Market-Octavia Plan adopted a few years ago). That corner is slotted for 400' towers.

Most of Van Ness is set up to allow buildings with 4-8 story podiums with a max height of 12-14 stories, some areas less. There are also significant numbers of buildings that must be kept for one reason or another (see the bottom third of that link above). There are some outliers from the plan, including the planned 265' CPMC hospital to take the place of the Cathedral Hill Hotel: http://rebuildcpmc.org/pdf/VNG_Fact_...visedNov10.pdf

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 5:29 AM

Oh cool! Thanks for the info, I didn't know there were plans to get rid of the Cathedral Hill Hotel (one of those buildings I was talking about). AND its above 250'! Considering the need to accomodate growth, and that the plan is already almost two decades old. I think they should revise it and add some greather density/height.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 6:27 PM
Only Mostly Dead

BT started a thread for the new hospital awhile back. It looks like all the links to renderings are broken, but there's other good info there. I'll try to find and add some new renderings to that thread, plus I expect a lot more news about it since I think the EIR should be up for approval soon.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 6:44 PM

Can you provide a link to that project? I am interested in learning more about it.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 6:52 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Oops, sorry, meant to do that in the first place. Here's the thread on that project:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=173688

I added some renderings and an update on the status (as much as I could find, anyway).

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 4:56 PM
Droppin' Loads

Quote:
S.F. Planning Commission gets Treasure Island plan

Will Kane, Chronicle Staff Writer
Thursday, April 21, 2011

Today San Francisco leaders could approve a huge, $1.5 billion development on Treasure Island that would create a from-scratch neighborhood of 19,000 people on the 403-acre rectangle in the middle of the bay.

The new community, dotted with high-rises and buffered by open space, would be one of the biggest developments in decades.

"I've got an extra box I am taking with me (today)," Planning Commissioner Ron Miguel said Wednesday. "There is a lot to absorb."

The development has been in the works since 1997 when the Navy closed the base. The plans include 8,000 residential units, a 450-foot high-rise, robust transit and a vibrant shopping area, developers say. If the Planning Commission approves the proposal, it heads to the Board of Supervisors...
full article: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...pe=newsbayarea

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 3:19 PM

Quote:
The plans include 8,000 residential units, a 450-foot high-rise, robust transit and a vibrant shopping area, developers say.
It's too bad that the main tower has been reduced to 450 ft to keep the Bay Bridge East Tower the tallest on the bay. Not much else in the plan seems to have changed. If built, it will be another nice little cluster of high rises.

Here are the documents for the project that include images:
http://www.sftreasureisland.org/Modu...documentid=644

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations