HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 30, 2006, 4:39 PM
Me?!?

/\
Just got back from DT and saw the site. This garage will be located on South St. between 2nd and 3rd (right behind the now empty lot that Belco created). It is going to get rid of a decent sized surface parking lot, and at 12-stories no less, I am all for it!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2006, 4:05 AM
joining the rail club

^ that sounds great Dave. i knew this project would have some teeth...i'm glad it's finally on its way to being completed. here's a list of the other facilities the parking authority operates:
1 - Walnut St Garage
2 - Chestnut St Garage
3 - Fifth St Garage
4 - Locust St Garage
5 - Market Sq Garage
6 - River St Garage
7 - Seventh St Garage
8/9 - City Island Parking lots
10 - Mulberry St Parking lot
11 - Fourth & Market St lot
12 - City Island Garage

and now add South Street Parking Garage as well. the surface lot at 4th and market is the site of the new university development if i'm not mistaken, which will also have a reasonable amount of parking within the lower levels of the structure. this new garage would be number 9 in DT...impressive for harrisburg.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2006, 2:48 PM
Me?!?

I agree, Chris, but I think this should wrap up parking garage construction for a bit, as I fear that any more at this time would be oversaturation...

TECHNOLOGY

HIA kiosks to provide Net access to travelers

Friday, March 31, 2006
BY DAN MILLER
Of The Patriot-News

Travelers without laptop computers can soon go online -- for a fee -- in the terminal at Harrisburg International Airport.

PA Online Ltd. will provide Internet access at kiosks in the terminal for $3.95 for the first 15 minutes. Users will be able to pay with a credit card or debit card.

Free wireless Internet access is available in the terminal to anyone with a laptop that is equipped for Wi-Fi use, said Scott Miller, spokesman for the Susquehanna Area Regional Airport Authority, which owns HIA.

But many business travelers carry company-owned laptops that are blocked from going online in Wi-Fi zones for security reasons, said Pamela A. DeLissio, CEO and president of PA Online.

"You are leaving your laptop open to be hacked" in a Wi-Fi zone, she said.

PA Online is an Internet service provider based in Harrisburg. Founded in 1994, PA Online provides Internet access and Web hosting for business and residential customers.

DeLissio believes the PA Online service will be successful because many travelers passing through the terminal don't carry computers or they have laptops that are not equipped with Wi-Fi hardware. The kiosks being installed by PA Online will be available to everyone.

PA Online will install a kiosk in the public area before people pass through security checkpoints. A second kiosk will be installed for travelers who have passed through security and are waiting for a flight.

A half-hour of Internet access will cost $5.95 and an hour will cost $9.95. The airport authority will get 3.5 percent of gross revenue collected by PA Online after the cost of installing the kiosks.

The authority approved a one-year contract with PA Online to provide the service. After the first year, the contract is renewable on a monthly basis.

DeLissio said the HIA contract is the first deal PA Online has made to provide Internet access on a fee-for-service basis in a facility is used by the public.

"We are actively looking for other like opportunities" if the HIA service works, she said.

Verizon Communications Inc. used to offer free Internet access at public phone booths in New York City for Verizon Online customers. Verizon spokeswoman Sharon Shaffer said the company started phasing out that service almost a year ago.

Some stations were used very little, and the spread of free Wi-Fi access throughout New York City has made the stations largely unnecessary, Shaffer said. Verizon has no Internet access kiosks in any major transportation centers, she said.

Pa.Net, a Mechanicsburg-based Internet service provider, has been setting up Wi-Fi zones in public libraries and elsewhere throughout central Pennsylvania. A representative of Pa.Net did not return a call yesterday for comment.

I am posting these to show where the area is headed...

Production begins at area operation

Friday, March 31, 2006

Keystone BioFuels Inc. began production earlier this month in about 25,000 square feet of space at the former Quaker Oats plant in Shiremanstown.

"We're really happy," said Race Miner, president and CEO. "We're really pleased. Everybody's happy with this industry. It's a kick."

Miner said the company is producing about 3,000 gallons of biodiesel fuel a day. It completed a sale to Cropper Oil & Gas of Berlin, Md., recently and plans a 7,000-gallon sale to Independence BioFuels Inc. of Highspire. Independence is a fuel-blending facility.

Miner said may individuals also are ordering the product to be used for transportation purposes. "The market is here," he said. "We're trying to satisfy it."

Asked about the startup of the AGRA Biofuels plant in Middletown, Miner said, "There's more demand than the two of our companies can satisfy."

Keystone BioFuels has two employees, in addition to Miner. He said he expects to add a couple more workers by the end of the year.

Good as gold
Biodiesel producer expects demand to grow

Old Posted Apr 1, 2006, 6:11 AM

great news about biodiesel...i was using the great weather to check out downtown today, and tom's diner and french quarter are progressing quite well

Old Posted Apr 2, 2006, 4:38 PM
Me?!?

Yeah, the French Quarter has been putting their lights on the last few nights and it looks REALLY nice! I can't wait to see the finished product (even though it took over a year LOL). Also, Max's added an outdoor seating area and it is NICE! No doubt about it, this summer DT HBG will be on fire!

Even more growth along the 283 corridor, and take a look at where the developers are from. The housing around here is sure getting really expensive!

Londonderry Twp. land prices, location bolster growth

Sunday, April 02, 2006

BY CATE McKISSICK
For The Patriot-News

Even the presence of Three Mile Island is not a deterrent to the rising popularity of Londonderry Twp., said Suzanne Colaccico, who has been selling real estate in central Pennsylvania since 1989.

Three major housing developments are on the books for Londonderry Twp. The projects could add up to 535 houses in the township, which is home to 5,200 people and Three Mile Island, in lower Dauphin County.

"In my opinion, either people don't know or they don't care" about TMI, said Colaccico, a Realtor for Exit Platinum Plus Realty. "The developers are building in areas where buyers want to buy."

The projects are Lytle Farms, along Route 230 outside of Middletown; School Heights Village, to be built behind Saturday's Market on Route 230 and adjacent to Londonderry Elementary School; and Lauffer Hills, planned for an area between Roundtop and Newberry roads.

One reason for Londonderry's popularity is its location.

"It's really close to Harrisburg," said Colaccico. "It's really close to the turnpike, to Route 283 and the airport. It just makes sense."

Colaccico said that in the past six months she has received numerous calls from Philadelphia-area developers looking for land near Route 283 to build 25 or more houses.

"Land in Lancaster County is not available," she said. "And the amount per acre is still far cheaper" than what is available in Lancaster or closer to Philadelphia.

Plans for Lauffer Hills include 99 homes on 117 acres. It is the most recent development, having been presented to the township late last year.

Greg Bardell, owner of Longleaf Development Co., told the supervisors houses would cost $300,000 to $350,000.

Plans for Lytle Farms include a mixture of 162 single family and 106 town houses on 327 acres. It will also include a light industrial section for the land between Route 230 and Iron Mine Run.

The final plan for the first phase of the Lytle project was approved in 2001, but construction has yet to begin. The plans call for the Derry Twp. Municipal Authority to provide the sewer and water. According to township officials, holdups have included rights of way for utility easements and now financing for a $1 million bond for the township. Until a bond is posted, no work can begin.

The sketch plan for School Heights Village calls for 168 homes on 196 acres. Developers had planned to build almost 500 homes, but were unable to receive the necessary change in zoning.

Plans are also on hold for School Heights Village because the developers originally planned to connect to Lytle Farms' sewer and water system. Developers recently told the supervisors that they've hired AquaAmerica to build a plant for them.

"The township would like to see sewer to benefit more areas in the township," said Codes Enforcement Officer Jim Foreman. "But the supervisors are concerned about making it economically feasible to the residents."

Foreman said he did not know how much houses would cost in Lytle Farms or School Heights Village.

School Heights Village and Lauffer Hills will be built utilizing the "cluster option." This will allow builders to minimize the lot sizes for houses to leave as much open space as possible. Both also have plans for public trails and open space for recreation.

Foreman also said the impact on the township's roads could be significant, figuring each house would have at least one car, more likely, two.

Jim Hazen, spokesman for the Lower Dauphin School District, said if all 535 projected homes are built, that could add up to 214 students.

"Of course, it all depends on what grade level they're in," Hazen said. "Two hundred kids all in kindergarten will kill us, but 200 kids spread over 13 grades is only 16 kids per grade."

Old Posted Apr 3, 2006, 12:22 AM

Location: I find myself surrounded by highways, fast food, and warehouses
Hmmmmm, I do wonder if 'da Burg's Downtown parking has reached saturation, but I don't think so. If we were at saturation, the price for parking would drop, not stay at the same level with a waiting list I don't know if the SciTech tower parking will be enough for Strawberry Square and SciTech, let alone finish the (monthly parking) backlog.

Hmmmm, keep that sprawl going, we need more cars on our under-used roads (please note sarcasm). Seriously, can anyone actually in Harrisburg right now explain how things are going there? Are the papers making things look worse than they are?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2006, 6:01 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudmrg
Seriously, can anyone actually in Harrisburg right now explain how things are going there? Are the papers making things look worse than they are?
As far as...??? Sprawl, traffic, crime...?? I'm not sure what you are asking about exactly, Mike.

In no way, shape or form am I downplaying what Kamionka and Galiardo have done for the DT scene. But isn't there anyone else interested in DT nightlife too? I think some new blood would spur some much needed competition and push the scene even further ahead...

A TOUCH OF CRASS?

Downtown developer enjoys debate over diner

Monday, April 03, 2006
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

It's a sun-splashed spring afternoon, and Bill Wurster of Fairview Twp. is sipping a scotch on the sidewalk outside Fisaga restaurant.

It's a cosmopolitan moment that's become a staple of Harrisburg's Restaurant Row.

Wurster peers across North Second Street and spies the partly finished, slightly tarnished, seen-better-days diner that has been trucked in from Lehigh County.

The traditional stainless-steel diner is to be the focal point of what's being billed as Harrisburg's latest downtown entertainment complex, one of two major establishments to open this spring.

But for Wurster, the sight of the diner sucks the sophistication right out of the city's bar and restaurant scene.

"I think it's a trailer park," said Wurster, who noted he considers himself a diner guy. "And I think the trailer park is going to affect property values. I saw them putting it in, and I couldn't believe it."

A few tables down, Diana Drew is so intrigued by the project that she puts down her wine glass to snap a picture.

"I think it's fabulous, personally," she said. "It's different. It's just a different attitude. I think it will do well."

That debate is just the kind of buzz the project's developers had in mind.

Manager and part-owner Ron Kamionka said the idea was to shake up the Second Street scene and break new ground in Harrisburg.

"It is a little different. It doesn't fit the mold of what's going on downtown. That's the whole point," Kamionka said.

The Tom Sawyer Entertainment Complex at 210 N. Second St. will feature much more than diner fare. Plans call for indoor and outdoor dining, a full bar and outdoor entertainment, including stages for bands and, eventually, open-air movies.

The diner is to open May 12.

The Quarter, a three-story New Orleans-style saloon, jazz club, raw bar and restaurant, is to open soon in the 300 block of North Second.

When the 1960s-era dining cars were wheeled into the city and plopped down on the vacant lot in front of the River Street parking garage, some said the scene looked like a train wreck smack in the middle of downtown.

None were more concerned than the owners of downtown's trendier spots, which are across the street.

"A lot of my customers ask me if I'm upset," said Stephen Weinstock, owner of Stock's on Second, a restaurant known for fancy food, an extensive wine list and dining experiences ensconced in dark woods and street views.

"I'm telling people that it's going to look a lot nicer when they have it finished," he said.

So is Nick Laus, who went upscale and trendy when he opened a downtown version of Cafe Fresco in the 200 block of Second in July.

The planned diner is a far cry from the pastel colors and modern furniture of his restaurant, but Laus said he's not worried that it will hurt Restaurant Row's image.

"You do hear people saying it's ugly, and when it first came, it was ugly," Laus said. "But I'm sure it will look good."

These owners said they're comforted that the diner is headed by Kamionka and Rick Galiardo, who own or operate a half-dozen downtown establishments between them.

"They have a good reputation for doing things right," Laus said.

Kamionka said his business philosophy is to zig when others zag, to keep the downtown scene fresh.

"We all want Harrisburg to survive past its [current business] cycle," Kamionka said. "To do that, we have to keep it interesting. We've got to continue to bring people in."

He decided the time was ripe for a little meat and potatoes and eggs to go along with Restaurant Row's wine sippers, beer guzzlers and gourmet dining crowd.

"A lot of potential customers have this perception of Harrisburg as too uppity," Kamionka said. "But the Olive Gardens and the Red Lobsters are packed. You have to give people a product they are comfortable with."

Even restaurateurs Weinstock and Laus said better a diner than another fancy place, which would represent direct competition.

Harrisburg's planning commission and architectural review boards signed off on the project unanimously, citing its temporary nature until the prime-but-vacant real estate could be developed further.

Still, some members harbored reservations.

"I just didn't care for the diner," said planning commissioner Elaine Burns. "It's just not my taste."

Don't tell that to Warren McCabe, a state employee and part-time bartender who has been coming downtown for drinks and meals for 25 years.

"Twenty-five years ago, there wasn't a lot of choice around," he said. "And a lot of times, bartenders get off late and they're hungry. It might be a good thing."

Old Posted Apr 3, 2006, 7:04 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

^ Damn, there are so many good things happening in Harrisburg.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2006, 11:34 PM

I was refering to the media accounts of a "crime wave" (or worse) in Harrisburg as of late. BTW, that diner has an interesting story, it's former location is now being turned into a road that leads right into a 4 mile traffic jam every day. :sigh:

Old Posted Apr 4, 2006, 1:46 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelingman04
^ Damn, there are so many good things happening in Harrisburg.

Spudmrg: Yes, unfortunately there has been s a bit of a crime wave as of late (seems to be mostly shootings). That is really interesting re: the diner, and I am sorry to hear that our gain now makes you sit in a traffic jam!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2006, 2:01 PM
Me?!?

Well unfortunately politics in the city are getting REALLY ugly! And IMO it is a bad sign when a long-standing board mbr. moves out of the city, knowing full well he would need to resign from the job:

Reed takes appointee off panel

Councilwoman no longer a member of schools oversight board

Wednesday, April 05, 2006
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Harrisburg City Councilwoman Gloria Martin-Roberts, who also has served a combined eight years on the Harrisburg School District's two governing boards, has been removed from the district Board of Control by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.

Reed could not be reached for comment last night, but his office released the March 27 letter in which Reed informed Martin-Roberts that her service would no longer be needed on the five-member board.

Reed cited a provision in the Pennsylvania School Code prohibiting elected school board members from serving on other elected boards, such as City Council, as the reason for Martin-Roberts' dismissal.

Martin-Roberts questioned the timing and rationale of Reed's decision.

She pointed out that she is in her third year as a member of the City Council, and that she has been a member of Reed's handpicked Board of Control for more than five years.

She said that the Board of Control is appointed solely by Reed and not an elected post, meaning the school code prohibition cited by Reed shouldn't apply.

"It is not an elected seat, as he stipulated in the letter," Martin-Roberts said. "They are not one and the same."

Prior to Reed's state-approved Dec. 2000 takeover of the Harrisburg School District, Martin-Roberts served on the elected school board for three years.

Martin-Roberts has opposed Reed's appointment to the Harrisburg Authority board, which approves funds Reed has used, to the tune of millions of dollars, to buy artifacts for museums and the city archives.

Martin-Roberts also is the sponsor of a bill that would ban smoking in city-run buildings as well as in the city's parks and recreation areas.

If passed, the ordinance would extinguish a long-standing practice of Reed and his staff of smoking at their desks in the administrative wing of City Hall.

Asked about the timing, Martin-Roberts said, "It is suspect, isn't it?"

Reed wrote in his letter than none of Martin-Roberts' opposition was a factor in her dismissal.

"If that were the case, and it is not, the ending of a board membership would have occurred a long time ago," he wrote. "The sole basis for this letter is the apparent prohibition regarding dual elective posts. No pleasure is taken in sending it."

Reed has appointed Bradford J. Furey to fill one of two vacancies on the Board of Control.

In addition to Martin-Roberts' exit, longtime member Mark Stewart has resigned because he is moving out of the city.

The other members of the Board of Control are President Calobe Jackson Jr., Trent Hargrove and Clare Jones.

Smoke-free proposal fires up supporters

BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

The tobacco lobby should have dispatched someone to last night's Harrisburg City Council hearing on smoking.

As it was, an expected debate over a proposed smoking ban for Harrisburg's city-run buildings and outdoor recreation areas turned into a one-sided diatribe on the evils of second-hand smoke.

American Cancer Society officials, a heart patient and a counselor to cancer victims and their families were among those who used the forum to rail against lighting up.

Samuel Monismith, a Penn State Harrisburg assistant professor and an anti-smoking volunteer, said cigarette smoke is laced with 4,000 chemicals and 69 carcinogens.

"The rationale for the bill cannot be questioned," he said. "The health risks are real."

Deirdre C. Weaver, regional cancer control director for the American Cancer Society's South Central Region, told council members that secondhand smoke has been labeled a Class A carcinogen by the federal government since 1992.

"The bottom line is you don't have to use tobacco products to be exposed to the health risks," she said, adding that secondhand smoke is blamed for 3,000 lung cancer deaths among nonsmokers each year.

City resident Pete Washington said he and his wife, Elaine -- he is stricken with heart disease, she with cancer -- can no longer tolerate even a whiff from a cigarette.

"We cannot go into a building that has smoke," he said. "This is a survival issue."

The testimony seemed to spell passage for the anti-smoking bill, sponsored by Councilwoman Gloria Martin-Roberts.

Several council members pledged support. Only President Vera Jean White openly opposed the measure as an attempt to legislate public health -- which she said should be left to the state.

The bill would ban smoking in all city-owned buildings, as well as certain outdoor areas, such as city parks and playgrounds.

That would mean no lighting up on City Island or in Riverfront Park. But it would not extend to privately run restaurants, bars and other public places.

The impact of the bill would start at the top, with Mayor Stephen R. Reed.

Reed and many of his staff smoke, lighting up at their desks and in their offices within the administration wing on the second floor of City Hall.

Reed has said the same right to smoke is extended to other city employees who work in offices where there is no interaction with the public.

No one representing Reed or his administration attended last night's session.

The proposed smoke-free policy also would cover Harrisburg's police station, firehouses, maintenance sheds, garages and other buildings. It also would extend to city-owned vehicles -- including the Crown Victoria driven by Reed, an aficionado of Salem Lights.

Violators would face a summary citation and a minimum $50 fine.

Martin-Roberts said Reed is not the target.

"This is a public health concern for me," she said. "It is not personal. It is not targeted at the mayor or anyone else."

Martin-Roberts said the hope is that the ban would protect nonsmokers from secondhand smoke, while prompting smokers to light up less or kick the habit.

Council members said a second public hearing would be scheduled before the measure is referred to the full body for a final vote.

/\
I think Reed is full of BS on this one. My g/f and I were in City Hall yesterday before COB and the smoked REEKED throughout the second floor, where the public goes I might add b/c parking enforcement is on that level. I am all for a ban in the city buildings but I think banning it outside is rather silly. At the very least they should consider designated smoking areas for the outdoor spots instead.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2006, 2:08 PM
Me?!?

Board fears traffic problems if retail center would grow

BY ANDREA CICCOCIOPPO
Of Our Carlisle Bureau

BOILING SPRINGS - The South Middleton Twp. supervisors are concerned that a proposed commercial development might turn out to be larger than suggested. A larger center could lead to traffic problems, they said.

A 581-home residential and retail community known as Carlisle Forge has been proposed off York Road and Fairview Street.

According to the developer, Jewel's Real Estate Limited Partnership of Red Lion, the residential section would include 163 single-family homes, 266 town houses and 192 garden apartments, plus athletic fields and recreational space.

The plan submitted to the township also shows a commercial area featuring 26 shops anchored by a 40,000-square-foot store and six unconnected retail sites.

But Shah Mathias of Jewel's said the commercial portion of the site is for sale and he cannot guarantee that the retail square footage would not change.

"The danger in this proposal is, it changes the traffic immensely," said Supervisor Tom Faley. "This section of York Road from Mayapple to the interstate would be like the Carlisle Pike.

Commerce's new building in TecPort looks REALLY nice I must say!

AHEAD OF THE CURVE
BY TOM DOCHAT
Of The Patriot-News
With its glass-enclosed atrium, neon accents and flat-screen dis plays, the new $20 million headquarters for Commerce Bank/Harrisburg has a high-tech flavor.

The bank transferred its operations to the Commerce Center facility at 3801 Paxton St. over the last two weekends. That address is at the technology-oriented TecPort Business Center in Swatara Twp.

So far, there have been few glitches, although construction is continuing on the atrium that will serve as the main entrance. The atrium will be the focal point for travelers in the 80,000 vehicles that pass by daily along Interstate 83.

http://www.pennlive.com/business/pat...340.xml&coll=1

About the company

SINCE ITS FOUNDING in 1985, Commerce Bank/Harrisburg has been expanding rapidly and has grown to about $1.7 billion in assets.

It now has 28 branches -- Commerce calls them stores -- from York to Berks counties. It plans to open three branches this year in Lancaster County, a new market for the company.

It employs more than 800 people.

Commerce says it emphasizes convenience and service, with seven-day banking hours, free checking and online banking services.

Gary L. Nalbandian, chairman, president and CEO of Commerce's parent company, said Commerce expects its branches to be profitable in 15 to 18 months.

Nalbandian said its new Commerce Center should cover the bank's needs for five years before it must seek additional space.

"If we grow faster than our projected 25 percent rate, then it will be three years," he said. "And so far we have grown between 25 and 30 percent a year.

"We are a growth company," he added. "Banking traditionally is a no-growth industry and bankers don't really understand our model because we pattern ourselves after retailers who are growth-oriented."

The company started out in 7,000 square feet of space at 100 Senate Ave. That also was the location of the company's first bank.

With the headquarters move, Commerce will relocate the bank to 1249 Market St. in Lemoyne. That bank is to open on April 29.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2006, 1:26 AM

EastSide: I did'nt say "I'm" affected by the traffic jams, I just said they are there (I'm not). Imagine if US 22 (by I-83) was a 2 lane road with all the traffic on it now......that's what they are trying to change.

I hav'nt seen the transcript of the speech anywhere yet, but here is the Patriot-News summary of Mayor Reed's 2006 State of the City:

Mayor says city set record for building permits
Declaring Harrisburg stronger than ever, Mayor Stephen R. Reed today reported that in 2005, the city issued 1,870 building permits, the largest annual number ever, involving $122.8 million in construction. Since 1982, there have been 34,164 building permits issued for a total of $3.98 billion in investment in Harrisburg.

The report was part of Mayor Reed’s annual State of the City Address, delivered to a record crowd this afternoon at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex. Sponsored by the Harrisburg Regional Chamber of Commerce, the annual event was again sold out after having been moved from the Hilton Harrisburg and Towers to the Farm Show Banquet Center to accommodate more people. More than 1,500 attended what has become one of the Chamber's largest annual fundraisers.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2006, 3:32 AM
Me?!?

Oh okay, gotcha, Mike!

I watched the news story on Reed's speech and in it they highlighted the fact that once the Southern Gateway Project is complete, it will DOUBLE the size of downtown! Now let's imagine this for a second: If HBG can successfully double its downtown and attract all the business that goes with that, it will bring the city into a whole new playing field and we will step from the minors into the big leagues IMO. And with all of the building permits, new investment and companies coming into DT, I have no doubt in my mind this will be achieved.

Also, there has been a push to build taller and we see this happening, so I imagine this new section of DT will be loaded with high-rises!

*And this is just one of the gateway projects, imagine what will happen when the others begin!

Simply AMAZING to witness all of these changes in my lifetime!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2006, 3:40 AM
Native Coloradoan

Location: Arvada CO-sometime soon Littleton/southern Jeffco CO near my girlfriend
Smile

Wow nice Harrisburg update Dave-HBG always continues to amaze me. Hows the high-speed rail line construction been going between HBG and Philly lately?

Btw its good to be back on here often now.

Albert (Shoowaa-also known as Scott)
"They do not act from faith; for whatever does not proceed from faith is sin."--Romans 14:23

Old Posted Apr 6, 2006, 4:33 PM
Me?!?

Hey Albert good to hear from you! How are things? RE: the high-speed rail, I haven't heard much about it at all these days. If I do I will let you know, though!

Some sad news today and I think this does have an impact on the area, regardless of what Tyco says:

Tyco unit will move to Philly

Electronics division wants to draw expertise from N.J. headquarters

Thursday, April 06, 2006
BY TOM DOCHAT
Of The Patriot-News

The corporate headquarters for a separate Tyco Electronics Corp. is going to be in the greater Philadelphia area -- not the midstate.

Thomas J. Lynch, CEO of the electronics division since late January, told employees about the move yesterday.

Lynch said the decision is intended to attract corporate-savvy personnel working at Tyco International Ltd.'s headquarters in Princeton, N.J. Executives there have expertise in areas that the electronics division doesn't have, such as investor relations and securities law, he said.

"We want to be able to recruit as many people from Tyco corporate that exists today," he said.

When Tyco International announced in January that it was splitting into three companies, company officials said Tyco Electronics would continue to be based in the Harrisburg area.

David Black, president and CEO of the Harrisburg Regional Chamber, said he was "incredibly disappointed" with the latest news.

"It's contrary to the information that we had heard," Black said.

The new headquarters will have about 100 to 125 employees. Many of those jobs will be new positions required for the publicly traded company after it splits from the parent corporation. A site has not been selected and the office space would be leased, Lynch said.

The decision will have minimal impact on Tyco's operation in south-central Pennsylvania, Lynch said. Tyco Electronics, headquartered in Lower Swatara Twp., employs 4,700 people in the region and those jobs will stay here, he said.

"We don't expect to change anything we have in Harrisburg," Lynch said. "We're certainly not going to take anything out because we're going to have 100 people someplace else."

Black said he was reassured by Thomas A. Donnelly, director of global communications at Tyco Electronics, that the Harrisburg jobs will stay in the area and "they're looking to grow in the region. I feel good about that."

Kelly Lewis, president and CEO of the Technology Council of Central Pennsylvania, led an Operation Homecoming campaign recently to persuade electronics' management to stay in the Harrisburg area. Despite initial assurance that the headquarters would remain in the region, "it's never a done deal," he said.

He said some of the executives live in the Philadelphia area. "I'm sure that played in the decision-making process," Lewis said.

Lynch, 51, lives in Newtown of Bucks County.

Lewis said he was disappointed that the headquarters wouldn't remain in the region, but "we're certainly pleased that they are in Pennsylvania."

The corporate jobs are the "cream of the crop," and Harrisburg needs to develop its reputation so it can attract top corporate jobs, Lewis said.

Lynch said Philadelphia is an ideal mid-point between Harrisburg and Princeton.

"We want to get those folks who are already experts" in taxes, treasury, investor relations and securities law, he said. "We also wanted to be close enough [to Harrisburg] because this is a major center for us."

It took about a month to decide on the headquarters location.

"We concluded, let's go for some place in between ... ," Lynch said. "We studied it and felt like that's our best chance to build the kind of skill set we need and keep continuity."

He said "time is flying" before the electronics division's expected separation from Tyco International at the end of March 2007.

A team has been formed to consider a name for the electronics division once it becomes a separate business. The team will work with customers, employees and investors to help in the process. A consultant will be used as needed, Lynch said.

He said he hopes a decision on a name can be made within four months.

"On one hand it's really exciting to see if we should have a different name," he said. "On the other hand, it takes time and we have to be thoughtful. You only get one shot at this, so we want to go about it the right way."

He said the headquarters decision would not affect the company's commitment to corporate giving in the Harrisburg region.

"Our mission and vision is to be a contributing and positive part of the community," he said. "It makes sense. Our people live in these communities. They want to feel good about their company. And it is right thing to do."

Old Posted Apr 6, 2006, 4:39 PM
Me?!?

Exciting news indeed!

STATE OF THE CITY

SOUTHERN SPRAWL?

Thursday, April 06, 2006
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Creating a southern entrance into Harrisburg would open acres of under-used land that would double the size of downtown and clear the way for new office, commercial and residential buildings, Mayor Stephen R. Reed said yesterday.

Reed declared this "southern gateway project," currently un-budgeted and in the planning stages, the biggest economic development undertaking in the city's history.

Reed has talked of the project before, but mostly in terms of its impact on transportation.

The project would extend South Third Street to Paxton Street to fight gridlock near Interstate 83 and Cameron Street.

But in his annual state of the city address yesterday, Reed for the first time outlined the project's potential impact on a land-locked downtown that could suddenly grow to the south.

He described how the southern gateway's "matrix of streets and overpasses" would open up this underdeveloped land.

"The project essentially doubles the size of the city's downtown, with the transportation and other infrastructure to support it fully included," Reed said.

The southern gateway would have the capacity for 3.1 million square feet of new office space, 2.5 million square feet of commercial space, 500,000 square feet of residential area, at least 4,000 parking spaces and more than 6,500 jobs, Reed said.

"It answers the question of where additional downtown development can occur without tearing down existing older and historic structures," he said, noting the development would amount to about $1 billion in construction.

With such a vast scope, it would set the course for the city's central business district for the "next half-century and beyond," said Reed.

But that's the catch. It will take time, lots of time.

Looking to the future:

Most of the economic development impact Reed talked about yesterday is a long, long way off, according to city spokesman Randy King.

And much of the investment in the office, commercial and residential buildings would have to come from private sources.

The transportation portion of the project has not reached final design, nor has any funding been earmarked.

Nevertheless, Reed described a city economy that is in overdrive.

He pointed to the city's Restaurant Row on Harrisburg's Second Street. He said such growth wouldn't have been possible if not for projects such as City Island, minor league baseball, the Hilton Harrisburg & Towers, the Crowne Plaza Hotel and the Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts.

"What was being achieved now was thought by most to have been impossible 10 years earlier," he said. "But successive increments of development have given rise to expanded new extents of progress. With this, the pace of rejuvenation has quickened, and the Harrisburg of today has potential unprecedented in its history."

Northern exposure:

Reed's hopes for a southern gateway to fuel major development downtown will be tested on a smaller scale in the city's northern end.

Reed said work on a northern gateway is slated to get under way this year and be completed in about two years.

It involves the widening of North Seventh Street from Reily to Maclay streets, creating a northern exit to the city.

The project would remove commuter traffic from residential sections of North Second Street, where homes are increasing in value and families are returning.

Along with wider streets along Seventh Street, there would be new sidewalks, antique-style streetlights, streetscape features and traffic signals, Reed said.

The hope is that new development would follow to an underdeveloped and often-overlooked section of the city.

Meanwhile, residential sections of North Second Street would benefit with the restoration of two-way traffic, as well as the current through-way that Reed said "divides" one of the city's most attractive neighborhoods would be calmed.

Elsewhere, Reed said planning is under way for a significant expansion of the Midtown Campus of Harrisburg Area Community College.

Details of that project are to be unveiled soon, the mayor said.

Read the whole State of the City Address here.

CITY REGISTERS MAJOR GAINS DURING PAST YEAR

Old Posted Apr 6, 2006, 7:22 PM

a few years back, i had the opportunity to visit many sites with harrisburg's urban planner. i remember specifically what he said was HACC's midtown campus. if it remains anything like he told me, we're in for a major treat. i can't remember exact locations, but i remember they were to refurbish quite a few old warehouses in the area. the amount of kids down there would do wonders for the businesses

Old Posted Apr 7, 2006, 3:12 AM
joining the rail club

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoowaa1
Wow nice Harrisburg update Dave-HBG always continues to amaze me. Hows the high-speed rail line construction been going between HBG and Philly lately?

Btw its good to be back on here often now.

Albert (Shoowaa-also known as Scott)
As of September 2005, the track from Parkesburg to Lancaster was upgraded to 110 mile per hour operation, as part of a 145 million project to increase speeds. Three at-grade crossings with roads remain as of right now, and all three will be eliminated in a separate project. In 1999, Penndot budgeted 9 million to eliminate all three crossings. One is in Elizabethtown and another in Mount Joy, between Lancaster and Harrisburg. I'm not sure where the project stands right now but it's scheduled to be completed within the next two years, which will allow for express trains from Harrisburg to Philly within 90 min. Trains will be converted from diesel to electric along the entrie corridor once it's finished...and I suspect the new commuter rail here will opt to be electric as well.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2006, 3:08 PM
Me?!?

Midstate leaders express relief that Tyco jobs will stay

Friday, April 07, 2006
BY TOM DOCHAT
Of The Patriot-News

Local economic leaders digested the news yesterday that they would be losing the headquarters of a $12.2 billion company that is a global leader in its field.

The general feeling was disappointment that Tyco Electronics would be based near Philadelphia, said David Black, Harrisburg Regional Chamber president and CEO.

But there also was relief that the existing 4,700 Tyco workers in southcentral Pennsylvania won't be affected, Black said.

"The good news is there's stability here," he added.

But Black said he still intends "to have some additional discussion with the folks from Tyco."

"There's an opportunity to sell them over time" on the benefits of living and working in the Harrisburg region, he said. "The reality is: Can we compete? Yes. But people don't consider us a major metropolitan market by New York, Philadelphia and Washington standards."

Tyco Electronics has a deep history in the midstate, having been founded here as AMP Inc. In 1999, AMP was bought by Tyco International Ltd.

Earlier this year, Tyco International said it would spin off three divisions into separate companies, including Tyco Electronics. At that time, Tyco officials said the division would remain in the midstate when it became a separate company after the spin-off is completed next year.

However, on Wednesday the company said it will move the headquarters after all.

Tyco Electronics CEO Thomas J. Lynch said Wednesday that he wanted to locate the headquarters close to the existing Tyco International offices in New Jersey to help recruit personnel knowledgeable in securities law, investor relations, and tax and treasury issues.

A number of people will be named to jobs over the next six weeks, he also said.

"I think the way we're proceeding now is the vast majority will be Tyco International people," he said. The new headquarters will have about 100 to 125 jobs.

No one will be required to move from electronics' existing headquarters in Lower Swatara Twp., he added.

Kevin Ortiz, a spokesman for the Pennsylvania Department of Economic and Community Development, said the state has not been contacted for funding assistance on a headquarters site near Philadelphia.

Thomas A. Donnelly, director of global communications at electronics, said, "We haven't gotten that far into the process yet."

He added that he didn't foresee any event that would change the headquarters decision.

"It's a decision that's been made and we're going to move forward," Donnelly said.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations