HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 6:51 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
dear god the sears tower is freaking huge.
By floor area, it's bigger than 3 & 4 WTC put together.

Quote:
Roofwise it will be number 3 in the US and in this hemisphere, not 6, plus there's only one tower with a spire that's taller (Trump tower Chicago)
I went by the grand unifying of theory of "stop ignoring something that's starting right at you." You are right though, by roof line it will be 3rd, and it will have the 4th highest floor after the Empire State Building.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 3:04 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post

I went by the grand unifying of theory of "stop ignoring something that's starting right at you." You are right though, by roof line it will be 3rd, and it will have the 4th highest floor after the Empire State Building.

Aren't their top floors the exact same actually (1,224 feet?)

Last edited by Zapatan; Mar 2, 2011 at 8:07 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 6:45 AM

Yes the 102nd floor in ESB is 1224' AGL

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 9:58 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Aren't their top floors the exact same actually (1,224 feet?)
He was probably referencing occupied floor.

Anyway, from the diagrams, a look at how Tower 2 stacks up to some of our tallest and proposals...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 2:00 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

At first glance I thought, "Why are the buildings in reverse height order?" Then I realized my mistake. The use of visuals to exemplify the height of highest occupiable floor makes it easier to see. Thanks for posting, NYguy.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 2:52 PM

Wow this thing dominates the Trump in Chicago!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 5:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
The use of visuals to exemplify the height of highest occupiable floor makes it easier to see.
Well, that last graphic was based on "pinnacle" height.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 5:27 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
He was probably referencing occupied floor.
Yes and no. I was talking about the highest enclosed floor, a double-height space ~1197 feet above the street. It will be occupied by engineers, but the CTBUH "occupied floor," which is the highest rented or otherwise nonmechanical floor is a bit lower in the building at ~1103'. Recall that there's a lot of open-air space at the top of this design. The Empire State Building highest occupied floor is the closed to the general public "103rd Floor" (it's actually the 98th floor) at elevation 1224'2.5", whereas the highest enclosed floor is just above that, a cone-shaped level reachable by ladder only at elevation 1238'6"

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 7:35 PM

Why don't they just make that section of the building an open air observation deck?.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 7:44 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Why don't they just make that section of the building an open air observation deck?.
My guess is because it's easier to funnel all the tourists (all of us included, I'm sure) to one location, through one box office with one set of turnstiles and employees and security, etc.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 7:59 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
It's all taken up by the cooling plant and other functional uses. It's not just open, vacant space.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 8:53 PM

STR: Is there any area on WTC 2 to look at the view. Or is tower 2 only for employees.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 10:24 PM
Because I'm Clever!

There MIGHT be private event space, similar to the 99th floor of the Sears Tower, the top of the Aon Center, or the banquet facility in Windows on the World. There's been no confirmation, and the space would be rented, so as a member of the public you get to schedule a party there, but you can't just walk in.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 11:38 PM

Taken March 2, 2011

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 11:58 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Last edited by STR; Mar 4, 2011 at 1:00 AM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 12:09 AM
BROOKLYN

It looks really thin from that angle.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 12:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapsco View Post
Taken March 2, 2011
Does anyone know why they haven't delivered any steel to the left (west) side of the foundation? It doesn't look like they've even completed the preliminary work where those perimeter supercolumns will eventually go.

I guess my main question is this: does the presence of the temporary PATH terminal have anything to do with it?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 2:41 AM

They probably need to finish up more of the work under the subway box first.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 3:57 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
There's been no confirmation, and the space would be rented, so as a member of the public you get to schedule a party there, but you can't just walk in.
Yeah, that's Silverstein's infamous "event" space, like he currently has at 7 WTC. Expect Silverstein to take it up a notch, check the gallery below...
http://www.7wtcevents.com/

http://www.fosterandpartners.com/pro...7/default.aspx

Quote:
The building occupies a pivotal position at north-east corner of Memorial Park, and its profile reflects this role as a symbolic marker. Arranged around a central cruciform core, the shaft is articulated as four interconnected blocks with flexible, column-free office floors that rise to level sixty-four, whereupon the building is cut at angle to address the Memorial below.

Function rooms within the summit have spectacular views of the river, the park and the city. The core arrangement on the office floors allows for cross-corridor circulation, providing orientation and opening up views. The core culminates in flexible zones – places to locate staircases between floors or create double-height atria – which allows tenants to adapt the floors to suit their specific needs.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 6:01 AM
Because I'm Clever!

^Funny thing about 7WTC, apparently there's some kind of church that's leased space 30 floors up and it's open to the public on saturdays and sundays. If I was going to NYC any time soon, I'd look them up just to see if the space has a view.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction