HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
This interesting. Capella has now submitted two bids for McKalla. The rendering below with no stadium, and another one that includes the MLS stadium and an office tower.

ABJ story:
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ship-with.html
So basically Triangle 2.0 but 10 years later. How are businesses in the Triangle doing again?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschwab View Post
So basically Triangle 2.0 but 10 years later. How are businesses in the Triangle doing again?
Best Hopdoddy to go to (though don't spread the secret too far )

My impression of the triangle is that there's been a bunch of turnover lately because everyone's 10 year initial leases are all up at the same time. I think the landlord got greedy, and either will get replacements or be forced to lower rents.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Best Hopdoddy to go to (though don't spread the secret too far )

My impression of the triangle is that there's been a bunch of turnover lately because everyone's 10 year initial leases are all up at the same time. I think the landlord got greedy, and either will get replacements or be forced to lower rents.
I assume that is the case. When they first signed on, they were one of the first places like that in Austin. Not so much anymore.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 2:01 AM

The Flatiron has a construction webcam. It's not the best view because it's too close to the project. But there is an option to switch to a pano view.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/stonelake/flatirondomain

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschwab View Post
Well, you are my neighbor. Welcome. Maybe we can share a ride to games.
Thanks. Indeed. Should be pretty huge for our home values (if you're into that sorta thing).

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 9:53 PM
Meh

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 10:39 PM
Meh

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...up-on-eve.html
Quote:
Alternate McKalla Place proposals line up on eve of Austin's MLS stadium vote

By Daniel Salazar – Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal
Aug 7, 2018, 2:10pm CDT

Developers, architects and residents are making a final push to transform a North Austin site into something other than a professional soccer stadium as the city nears another critical decision on its professional sports future.

Five different groups responded to the city's call for alternate ideas on developing or purchasing McKalla Place, a 24-acre site south of The Domain. One group submitted two options for their proposal, bringing the total number of alternate plans to six. Only one plan would still feature a professional soccer stadium on the city-owned site.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 10:48 PM

If we don't get a MLS team, I'm all for the Austin Natural Science Museum. If this is nothing more than hyperbole, then may the proposal be damned. If we lose the chance to land an MLS team, then they better prove the financial backing to break ground by eoy and not leave this site vacant for another 20 years or leave us with something that doesn't come close to the fancy conceptional drawings they have produced. As presented, it looks like an ideal location for Amazon, yet another mystery waiting to be resolved. If anything, gotta love the drama and the antisipation. If this is the result of opposition to the Crew coming here, I'm not opposed to it. But I see simularities to the Brackenridge developement concept drawings and the earlier concept drawings north of the Capitol Building. Hyperbole, nothing more. Shit or get off the pot. Its obvious the Crew are ready to shit in Austin...er that didn't come out so well....

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
If we lose the chance to land an MLS team, then they better prove the financial backing to break ground by eoy and not leave this site vacant for another 20 years or leave us with something that doesn't come close to the fancy conceptional drawings they have produced
Totally agree. If the city goes for one of these mixed-use proposals and that construction must begin imminently is not part of the deal, or if a developer decides to downsize it into another cluster of 4 story timber framed apartments, I'll be pissed.

What all this interest really shows, to me, is how much could happen in this city if we didn't have idiotic, anti-urban zoning. There's a WHOLE DOWNTOWN's worth of underused industrial buildings and strip malls in this immediate area, room for soccer stadiums and hotels and apartment towers and office buildings all, but instead we're just going to allow developers to squabble over this one lot? This is a big city now and we need to start thinking big.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 12:55 AM
World Traveler

Yeah, I agree...this is hardly the most ideal location for many types of developments, though it does work for some. However, the amount of attention this lot has recently garnered is suspect...makes me wonder if folks are not-so-inconspicuously inviting developers in order to kill the stadium option. Petty politics at its best more than true interest in the site. There are other sites this and many other developments could go - not so for a stadium in or near the city core.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post
Totally agree. If the city goes for one of these mixed-use proposals and that construction must begin imminently is not part of the deal, or if a developer decides to downsize it into another cluster of 4 story timber framed apartments, I'll be pissed.

What all this interest really shows, to me, is how much could happen in this city if we didn't have idiotic, anti-urban zoning. There's a WHOLE DOWNTOWN's worth of underused industrial buildings and strip malls in this immediate area, room for soccer stadiums and hotels and apartment towers and office buildings all, but instead we're just going to allow developers to squabble over this one lot? This is a big city now and we need to start thinking big.
That's been my point this whole time. If this MU is actually going to happen, if it doesn't happen at McKalla it'll just happen down the street. There's the whole of the NBG.

So might as well do the stadium at McKalla and get both.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
That's been my point this whole time. If this MU is actually going to happen, if it doesn't happen at McKalla it'll just happen down the street. There's the whole of the NBG.

So might as well do the stadium at McKalla and get both.
Totally. Not to mention the fact that the stadium will only help to catalyze further development by adding another (unique) amenity to the area.

The fact that they're not thinking of the stadium in terms of it spurring mixed-use development to extend out from the Domain shows how short-sighted city council is.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 3:30 AM
Member since 2001

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 7:17 AM
Meh

I can't say I'm all that impressed. I mean, the height looks good. The link I posted mentions 30 floors, which would likely translate to a 400 foot building. Still, I think this area would be better off getting the stadium which would likely encourage more mixed use development with many more towers. This is Austin's best shot at a true "2nd downtown" - both with the height creating a skyline and making something cohesive so that it's more than just another suburban complex of office buildings. Anyway, the calls for having the stadium here and it being the catalyst for further development instantly had me thinking of this scene in Field of Dreams.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 7:19 AM

If that proposal wasn't fake news, I would definitely prefer that to a stadium.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post

What all this interest really shows, to me, is how much could happen in this city if we didn't have idiotic, anti-urban zoning. There's a WHOLE DOWNTOWN's worth of underused industrial buildings and strip malls in this immediate area, room for soccer stadiums and hotels and apartment towers and office buildings all...
I love the vision. But if the city went big and zoning density here significantly, would we just turn Burnet into a highway to handle the increased traffic? Density is great, but there really isn't a good to handle people movement, and our car centric culture won't be thirsty for other options until traffic gets MUCH worse across the entire city, not just a pocket in North Austin. Maybe I'm wrong.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post
I love the vision. But if the city went big and zoning density here significantly, would we just turn Burnet into a highway to handle the increased traffic? Density is great, but there really isn't a good to handle people movement, and our car centric culture won't be thirsty for other options until traffic gets MUCH worse across the entire city, not just a pocket in North Austin. Maybe I'm wrong.
I'd argue that the highway access here is better than DT. 183 and Mopac are right there, and 360 is easily accessible from there. DT really is only well-connected to 35 -- getting to Mopac requires going down CC or 6th, only the former of which is really comparable in capacity to Burnet.

And, really, I think the main appeal of a second downtown is that traffic is so bad getting from north Austin and the suburbs all the way down there. Urban development here might make traffic in the immediate area worse, but it will shorten commutes for many people. The market seems to want density here, and developers seem prepared to bet a lot of money that they can fill offices, apartments and shops in this area. I'd say let them go for it.

Use the tax dollars generated from the development to fund transportation improvements in this area, including improvements to the train stop here, and turn this into a new urban node.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 4:23 AM
Everywhere all at once

Well, that's it, The Domain is about to reach the tipping point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post
I see what you mean, but I would argue that the Domain surging as a business and activity center could be a major driver for expansion of transit in the city, because the very only rail line that exists now happens to run from Downtown to the Domain and through significant and fast developing areas in between. IMO, the moment that the Capital Metrorail is fully double-tracked and and has to begin to facilitate a large enough number of business and commuter trips to and fro, fares will begin to rise and it will come to be seen as more vital. It doesn't hurt that the majority of these workers will be majority urban- and transit-minded millennials who will vote for transit with their farecards.

I just hope that leadership in the city now and soon might be future-oriented enough to anticipate that sort of growth and evolution of travel patterns and push ahead with even some expansion of the Metrorail in the near future. The Downtown-Domain route has all the makings of the spine of a future system.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 3:08 PM

Apologies if this isn't the preferred thread. The ACC Highland development Instagram account posted a recent drone video update https://www.instagram.com/p/BmO-QgDh98m

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 4:23 PM

Wow! When did that all happen? I swear I drove by there less than a month ago, and it didn't look like that!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin