Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Absolute World South in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Mississauga Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 6:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Yes. There are lots of huge, dense, urban cities without tall buildings. I happen to think that building these "tower in a park" developments in a suburban environment prevents it from ever developing a real urban fabric.
These two towers aren't going to be towers-in-parks. Their base is going to come to the lot line. You can see that in the pictures. All the newer towers in that area come to the lot line. And most of them are lined with retail at the base.

Quote:
The best would be to build housing of whatever height (maybe 3-4 stories, maybe 5-6 stories, or maybe higher) that went right up to the sidewalk, without a podium base or parking underneath or in a lot surrounding the building.
Towers are built specifically because there is a market for people who want views from way up high. There are already thousands of lowrise residences (houses, duplex, townhouses) in the immediate area for people who want to live in a lowrise. If you want a view from 400 feet in the air, you're going to want to live in a building like this. All the urbanity in the world won't give you that. I know several people who live in the area pictured. The developers are building these towers to make money, not to better the community.

Here are some recently built projects in the immediate area. Firstly, you can see that they all come to the lot line. You can't see it from this angle, but the large two-towered complex along Living Arts Dr. is lined with ground-floor retail abutting the sidewalk (24 hr. Hasty Market, coffee shop, can't remember what else). The project near the bottom-left of the picture at Princess Royal Drive and Confederation Parkway also has some retail fronting Princess Royal Dr., but I can't remember what.

This is what the newer developments in the area look like. The "tower in the park" stuff is from the early 90s or before.

Last edited by J. Will; May 19, 2010 at 6:49 PM.

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 9:19 AM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonzed View Post

from Jasonzed at SSC

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 1:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^an improvement over 95% of the MCC area, which is a pedestrian wasteland.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 1:09 AM
gettin' rich!

from Jasonzed at SSC

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 3:13 AM

The 2nd tower is finally starting to look like a tower, instead of a big stump...these are going to be truly epic in the skyline's east end for Missisauga...

Old Posted May 29, 2010, 11:17 PM

Old Posted May 31, 2010, 12:40 PM

Wow,this Building Is Crazy Ass Sexy.

Old Posted May 31, 2010, 1:35 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Fantastic!
This one is turning out really well.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 10:13 AM

Yes indeed

Old Posted Jun 6, 2010, 12:23 PM

Old Posted Jun 7, 2010, 12:24 AM

Old Posted Jun 7, 2010, 12:35 AM

so cool...

Old Posted Jun 7, 2010, 3:38 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
It's a good debate to have if you ask me, Mississauga is basically a suburb that is trying to create an urban core. Buildings like this are a step in the right direction, but are by no means the best way to do it.

What sort of ammenities are nearby that residents can actually walk to? what would it's walkscore be?
Fair enough but actually in this case I'd say that Mississauga scores pretty well . I mean this is right beside Square One so that covers pretty much everything right there . Mass rapid transit , all major services , entertainment (although somewhat limited) and parks are all right there . Seems like a pretty good mix and to top it off a street wall IS going up even if it is piecemeal. Overall I'd say that Missi is doing things right . I'm not really sure what they're supposed to do if this isn't good enough for some people.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2010, 4:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Fair enough but actually in this case I'd say that Mississauga scores pretty well . I mean this is right beside Square One so that covers pretty much everything right there . Mass rapid transit , all major services , entertainment (although somewhat limited) and parks are all right there . Seems like a pretty good mix and to top it off a street wall IS going up even if it is piecemeal. Overall I'd say that Missi is doing things right . I'm not really sure what they're supposed to do if this isn't good enough for some people.
The one thing that still isn't good about Mississauga City Centre is that there is still virtually no residences within a 5-minute walk of the bus terminal, which is of course the centre of the transit system. Hell, there's almost no residential within a 10-minute walk. The new residential (so far) is on the East side of Hurontario, the South side of Burhamthorpe (and further south along Hurontario and in behind the Sussex Centre), and to the West of the library/YMCA/Living Arts Centre. It would be nice if there were residences within a stone's throw of the bus terminal, because transit service there is virtually unparalleled, and living there would encourage people to use transit to go in all directions, and not just directions to local routes that happen to pass by their residence run.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 12:40 PM

Nice find from Elkhanan1

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 1:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^that photo is exceptional. Could be Dalian (China), but it is rather Toronto's largest suburb.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 3:10 AM

They were taking down a crane on a soon-to-be completed condo called Onyx; AB4/5, of course, is in the background.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 3:28 PM

Location: enjoying life in Tønsberg the coolest little town in Norway
very cool towers

the curves are great. it will be a very nice addition to the Mississauga skyline

My flickr photo stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infernal_elf/

Old Posted Jun 11, 2010, 11:26 AM

Crane moved...

Old Posted Jun 11, 2010, 12:40 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Marilyn Monroe and Joan Holloway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture