HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
I also cautiously agree that Seymour street is re-activating at certain parts. There's a couple of projects (either U/C or proposed) that are happening along Seymour street that are exciting including 600 Robson, and the 753 Seymour towers which will activate those intersections with more pedestrian traffic. However Seymour street itself, beyond those intersections, isn't a huge draw for pedestrians. That is until the Bay parkade gets redeveloped...
Wasn't referring to just pedestrians. Vehicle traffic is heavy at that intersection or Seymour for that matter all together. The other street in that intersection is Robson and that sight is screaming for some larger scale retail. Chapters moved out of the downtown not because of poor business, but because of lack of space at a somewhat reasonable rental rate.
I like the look of those projects (although I know the one next to Scotia Tower was just approved because 12th & Cambie do not like that building and wished it would go away). That whole block could have been developed into something very special (much like this proposal for Granville), and could have been a draw on its own, but instead we have some big draw retailers then an H-Mart with like 5 floors of residential above it. Fail

Last edited by EastVanMark; Jan 12, 2021 at 5:21 AM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 11:20 PM

This project is wonderful. Just what downtown/Granville needs. P+W really did a bang up job here, hopefully it stays true to this design as it moves through the entitlement process.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 12:22 AM

how does it get built? it looks complicated, like do they have to gut the buildings and the commodore?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 12:34 AM

One of the stories suggested a bridge structure to span over the Commordore Ballroom.
Some of the others will probably be gutted.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 1:24 AM

Makes sense. We want to keep the streetfronts, but everything save the Ballroom is disposable.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 4:03 AM

okay. Will be interesting to watch it go up if it does, lets hope it does.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 12:17 PM
Reason and Freedom

I love Bonnis' response to the inevitable naysayers of this project and progress in Vancouver:

Quote:
Bonnis adds that the proposal is “immediate, pandemic-proof stimulus” to the downtown Vancouver economy, at a time when it’s desperately needed, particularly on Granville Street, which has experienced a dramatic decline in perceived safety and cleanliness.

To naysayers and anyone who thinks the proposal is too ambitious, Bonnis had this to say:

“The naysayers need to step aside and acknowledge that it is a lack of vision and leadership that has brought about the failure of Granville Street – where people are stabbed, killed, and attacked by machetes,” says Bonnis, referencing several recent, high-profile public safety incidents in the entertainment district.

“Any resistance to change and acceptance of the status quo only amplifies and exacerbates the abysmal decline of the street,” he adds. “We have the ambition to build a better city and a stronger community, driven by an expansion of arts and cultural uses, whilst preserving and adapting heritage assets,” adds Bonnis.

“It should be applauded, encouraged and fully supported. Vancouverites deserve this, and opposition to these aspirations and ambitions lack logic and simple, old-fashioned common sense. Everything we’ve done is about community building — we’ve spent thousands of hours walking the street. There’s never been a greater urgency to have something on Granville Street that has some gravitas,” says Bonnis.
Source: https://www.urbanyvr.com/transformat...le-and-robson/

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
I love Bonnis' response to the inevitable naysayers of this project and progress in Vancouver:

I'm gonna have to save that one... it is indeed great.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 5:38 PM

Was looking for info on Bonnis and came across this proposal for 526 Granville.. not sure I've seen it mentioned here before...

http://www.vancouvermarket.ca/tag/bonnis-properties/

https://shapeyourcity.ca/526-granville-st

Ron.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 5:39 PM

He should run for mayor after he finishes building it.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 6:40 PM

That project has been briefly mentioned before in Downtown updates.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 12:12 AM

Quote:

impressed and applauding the developer for having the cajones to say it like it is

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 12:58 AM

I just think that after the Hollywood Dino had a enough of playing softball with the City and angry neighbours what essentially wanted to be "gifted" the old theatre.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 1:00 AM

Quote:

Fantastic!

This project will defiantly help the area, but the city also really needs to get its act together policy wise to further revitalize / improve Granville and other areas of downtown.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 8:50 AM

Global news has a video news story on it, has some good information and explains how they can build it without harming the Orpheum.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7586710/g...ment-proposal/

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
He should run for mayor after he finishes building it.
Was just thinking the exact same thing

Either that, or Chief City Planner. The city needs more people like him.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 10:07 PM

Quote:

Exactly. He simply described the general Vancouverite mentality, nothing more, nothing less. Folks who join bandwagons included.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
Was just thinking the exact same thing

Either that, or Chief City Planner. The city needs more people like him.
Will never happen. Social justice zealots would shut that down in an instant.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 8:32 PM

What does being against this have to do with social justice? From an architectural and urban design perspective this project is terrible. It's a giant glass wall plopped on top of an entire block. It's a monolith that doesn't fit anywhere in any city. Having a bit of wavy glass doesn't fix the imposing nature of the design, there's no articulation to let light through or give visual interest. It's not set back to reduce the effect of making Granville feel like a canyon, or let the heritage buildings shine. It doesn't respect the heritage at all.

I think you can have issues with this project without being a social zealot of whatever. I have no issue in theory with developing behind these buildings, but they're gonna have to do a lot better that a glorified commie block to get people on board, and likely the City. Change the cladding and it would fit right into the Alexanderplatz in Berlin and replace the Haus der Elektroinindustrie:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haus_der_Elektroindustrie

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 8:51 PM

Does "revitalize Granville Street" mean just more daytime office workers? Anyone read anything different from all the interviews? I mean, I know Bonnis wants to maximize their property.

I usually hear about fixing Granville in the realm of lots of big venues are either closed and have people roughing it outside them or they are only open on weekends and at night, not that more development needs to occur.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver