HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 2:37 AM

Group aiming to bring the CFL to Halifax have serious financial backing
Prime Time Sports November 14 2018

The CFL playoffs continue this weekend with the Division Finals, but there is some off the field news to discuss also. CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie joins Jeff Blair and Stephen Brunt on Prime Time Sports to talk about the possible expansion to the east coast of Canada, the group interested in owning the franchise, and the logistics of building a stadium.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 6:11 PM

Halifax franchise naming contest a race between ‘Schooners’ and ‘Storm’
Keith Doucette 3Down Staff November 22, 2018

The contest to name Halifax’s proposed CFL team appears to be a “horse race” between Atlantic Schooners and Atlantic Storm, according to a businessman trying to land a franchise for Atlantic Canada’s largest city.

In an interview, Anthony LeBlanc of Maritime Football Partnership wouldn’t say what name has the upper hand, although many believe Schooners is the odds-on favourite to be announced Friday at an event during Grey Cup festivities in Edmonton.

“I’m surprised that it is as close as it is,” LeBlanc said of the contest.

Maritime Football put forward an initial list of four possible names this month: The Atlantic Admirals, Convoy, Storm, and Schooners. People who have laid down season ticket deposits have also had the opportunity to submit their own team names, and at least two – Privateers and Destroyers – proved intriguing, said LeBlanc. He said Privateers was a particular favourite, although it ultimately can’t be used.

“Unfortunately, it (Privateers) has already been secured by the lacrosse team that is coming to town,” he said.

The exclusive contest is part of a season ticket drive launched two weeks ago. LeBlanc said his group has received more than 5,000 deposits to date, which for $50 places fans on a priority list for season ticket membership and seat selection on a first-come, first-served basis.

“When you factor in the notion that we have not done any paid marketing to date it’s a pretty phenomenal number,” said LeBlanc. “I met with the CFL Board of Governors last week and they were happily surprised with the results.”

LeBlanc said details outlining a broader campaign would also be announced during Friday’s event. He has previously said it is important to get a “nice base” of season ticket holders to help fill a proposed 24,000-seat stadium, and he feels 12,000 is an achievable goal. For its part, the Canadian Football League has said it has no minimum number of season tickets it wants to see.

The partnership’s efforts to land a team cleared a major hurdle last month after Halifax Regional Council directed city staff to do a business case analysis of the group’s stadium proposal. The partners have proposed vacant land in Shannon Park on the east side of Halifax harbour as the stadium site, and say the $170-million to $190-million project would need public money.

LeBlanc said his group met last week with the municipality’s chief administrative officer, Jacques Dube, and other senior staff to “go over concepts and ideas.” He said the goal is to present a package to Dube by early or mid-December so an analysis can be done of the proposed stadium funding model known as tax increment financing.

Under the proposal, the owners of the Shannon Park development would pay property taxes on the real estate, but that money would be set aside by the municipality and returned as a payment against the stadium’s debt. Other options are also being considered to help foot the overall bill, including an increase to the hotel marketing levy and a new car rental tax.

“The biggest issue, and nobody has shied away from this, is finding out what the level of risk is for each participant and what that acceptable level of risk is here,” LeBlanc said. “Everyone has always said the same thing – they want to see the numbers, so that’s what we are working on.”

A public consultation on the proposed stadium site will also likely begin in January, in conjunction with the current owners, the Canada Lands Company. LeBlanc said it’s hoped the results of the regional municipality’s analysis would be available by early spring.

Friday’s team-name announcement in Edmonton with CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie is scheduled be simulcast at the HFX Sports bar in Halifax at 9 p.m. local time.

“I don’t think it will be a contentious night,” said LeBlanc. “Of course everybody has their opinion on what the team name is going to be. Hopefully everybody embraces it and just has fun.”

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 12:09 AM

Halifax-based CFL franchise to be named the “Atlantic Schooners” says Twitter
3Down Staff November 23, 2018

The proposed CFL team in Halifax will be called “The Atlantic Schooners.”

While the official announcement isn’t expected for a couple of hours, the Grey Cup Festival Twitter account appears to have let the, uh, fish out of the barrel.

Not that this should be any great surprise. While the Maritime Football Partnership, who are behind the bid for a tenth CFL team, said earlier this week that it was a “horse race” between Atlantic Schooners and Atlantic Storm, the group quietly registered a trademark for the way back in December 2017.

The team now has a name and 5,000 season ticket commitments. All it needs now is $200 million for a stadium.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 3:20 AM

“Atlantic Schooners” a popular choice for proposed Halifax franchise
3Down Staff November 23, 2018

Halifax’s proposed CFL franchise now has a name – the Atlantic Schooners.

“I’m happy to announce that the 10th team in the CFL will be known as the Atlantic Schooners,” John Ryerson announced to thunderous cheers from hundreds of fans Friday night.

Ryerson spoke at the annual Grey Cup East Coast Kitchen Party. He is the organizer of this longtime Grey Cup social, designed to bring an East Coast flavour to Canada’s big game.

Schooners beat out other suggestions such as Atlantic Convoy, Storm, and Admirals.

It was picked in a contest and already has a history. The Schooners was to be the name for a proposed CFL team in the 1980s, but that dream never materialized.

Fans at the Kitchen Party said it was the right choice.

“I love the name. I was hoping it was going to stay Schooners,” said Daryl Shipman from Winnipeg, clad in a blue Schooners jersey.

“It epitomizes the East Coast, sailing ships, and the Maritime aspect of it.”

Leslie-Anne McKenzie of Calgary, also in Schooner Blue, agreed

“(It’s) absolutely the right name. This is excellent news for the league,” she said.

“The Schooners only makes sense because it’s history.”

Next up is getting a place to play.

The Maritime Football Partnership, which is pursuing the bid, is eyeing a parcel of land on the east side of Halifax harbour for a 24,000-seat facility. The cost is estimated at $170 million to $190 million and the group has said it will need public help with the financing.

So far more than 5,000 fans have put down season ticket deposits.

CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie says the CFL is keen to have Halifax become its 10th franchise.

Earlier Friday, speaking to reporters, Ambrosie said the league has signed a step-by-step agreement of what needs to be accomplished to get the franchise launched.

“Ultimately, the big hurdle is the stadium,” said Ambrosie.

But he stressed the willingness is there.

“We’re totally committed to their efforts get that 10th team,” he said.

“For many of us, that’s been a dream now for decades the idea of this truly coast to coast Canadian football league.”

Storied Halifax nevertheless will likely send CFL players running to their atlases, according to a random, unscientific poll of Grey Cup participants in Edmonton.

“(It’s the) first time I heard about Halifax to be honest with you,” said Ottawa Redlbacks receiver R.J. Harris.

“I don’t know anything about it.”

Ottawa slotback Dominique Rhymes, from Miami, had heard good things about the entertainment scene.

“I heard the night life is pretty good,” he said. “I’ve never been, but I think I might go in the coming months.”

Calgary Stampeders linebacker Jamar Wall, from Texas, said “I don’t know anything about Halifax.

“I’ll probably be long gone before that (franchise) happens, but good luck to the guys who could potentially be there.”

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 3:30 AM

Maritime Football Team Name Reveal
Fri Nov 23 2018 @ 9:00 PM AST Edmonton, AB

Watch live as Maritime Football Ltd. reveals what the name for their potential expansion club.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 4:44 PM

Good Choice! Now let's hope it goes forward this time.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 11:00 PM

Schooners dream one step closer to reality
Chris O'Leary Senior Writer cfl.ca November 24 2018

John Ryerson used to joke that since the team he loved that didn’t really exist had never taken to the field, they were in his mind forever undefeated.

“Maybe we want to stay that way,” he said at the Grey Cup in Toronto in 2016.

On Friday night in Edmonton, hosting his 11th Atlantic Schooners Kitchen Party, his 26th year of celebrating the Schooners and participating in his 27th Grey Cup, the Nova Scotian watched the annual event that he created take a step closer to becoming a reality.

Maritime Football Ltd. let Ryerson, the pied piper of what’s often the biggest and best party of Grey Cup week, unveil the name that fans had voted on over the last few weeks.

The proposed 10th team in the CFL will be named the Atlantic Schooners.

“I can’t even tell you how I feel. I honestly don’t know,” Ryerson said, taking a break from running a hectic, extra celebratory party.

“To be asked to unveil the name itself, I didn’t know that. My heart just dropped. I’m just full of emotion right now. Wow!

“It’s like a dream, to wake up from a dream. It’s been a following over all of these years and people don’t understand the work that goes into these things. To host a party for 1,800 people with 20 volunteers is no small feat.”

For the last nine years, that’s what it’s been: an understaffed, frequently over-attended party hosted by a fan that dug up a relic of CFL history and ran with it. It was fun to add a maritime flavour to Grey Cup week and in a league full of quirks, the Schooners party fit like the 12th man on the field.

For years, Ryerson has sold Schooners jerseys and t-shirts to try to help cover his costs. When he made a profit, it went to a food bank in whatever city was hosting the Grey Cup that year. He says he’s donated $40,000 to $45,000 to cities over the years.

“If we don’t make a profit it goes to me,” he laughed.

Then last year, Maritime Football Ltd made clear its intentions to bring the CFL to Halifax. The feeling at the party this year was electric. The room was packed with every colour of jersey in the league, alongside Ryerson’s mesh, navy blue Schooners jerseys. There were t-shirts on sale with a picture of a harbourfront and a lighthouse, with Field of Dreams’ tagline — If you build it, they will come — splashed across the horizon, noting the stadium construction that remains the key obstacle in that 10th franchise being granted.

The room was full of people, full of colour and full of hope. Commissioner Randy Ambrosie took the stage and dreamed openly of a Labour Day that was full of regional matchups, capping it with the idea of The Coast Bowl. The BC Lions facing the Atlantic Schooners.

“It’s really emotional. I’ve been to every (party) that they’ve had,” said Roger Hodges, a Riders fan from Saskatchewan that lives in Calgary. He wore a Schooners jersey on Friday, but out of allegiance to his team, wore his green Riders hat.

“The idea that finally, we’ll have a league that’s coast-to-coast was something that I was on board with right off the bat. It made complete sense.

“The spirit that is generated in this room, it matches Riderville, all the rest of it. John (Ryerson) has been able to transplant it, model it, make it work. And now you see what it’s grown into. Everybody in the league, there’s every jersey in there celebrating. It’s a dream come true for John and I’m ecstatic and excited that it’s happened.”

As he ran around the giant room at the Shaw Conference Centre, introducing different dance teams and handling other hosting duties, Ryerson was clearly overwhelmed. In the five minutes we spoke, he was interrupted three times by party goers that wanted to shake his hand and congratulate him. He never meant for it to happen, but he became the faint heartbeat of a forgotten franchise. His fun party with a half-joking hope of one day becoming something more felt like it did just that, at least for one night.

When he was up on the stage with the hopeful owners of the 10th team in the league, he made sure the video feed was running. His two sons watched from far away, one living in New Jersey, the other in Costa Rica.

Like Maritime Ltd.’s Anthony LeBlanc, Ryerson speaks in football metaphors for the franchise bid’s progress. It’s a long, careful, well-crafted drive up the field. They’re in the red zone, on the verge of one of the biggest touchdowns in the CFL in the last 35 years.

“I think the thing that I’m going to remember the most tonight was the opportunity that I was given to unveil the name as a real name, versus a fictitious name,” Ryerson said.

“To be able to cybercast it back to my sons. I have no words. They were so proud. It’s just incredible.”

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 7:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Has anyone shared that singer Tom Cochrane will be one of the investors in the new Schooners franchise?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 5:54 PM

The 2019 CFL schedule has a regular season game in Atlantic Canada on August 25th, location TBD.....any thoughts on where they will hold it. Moncton seems the obvious choice, but my gut tells me they want it in Halifax. But where?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
The 2019 CFL schedule has a regular season game in Atlantic Canada on August 25th, location TBD.....any thoughts on where they will hold it. Moncton seems the obvious choice, but my gut tells me they want it in Halifax. But where?
I don't share the same gut feeling (though I wish I did) , but if they do hold the game in Halifax, it will likely be at Huskies Stadium. I currently has a capacity of 5000, but can be temporarily expanded to 11,000.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 6:50 PM

Huskies Stadium can likely hold 15,000 or more with temporary seating since they removed the old grandstand.

Last CFL game at SMU:

Current Stadium with temporary bleachers that can be removed for larger temporary bleachers:

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 1:01 AM

Halifax CFL proponents now selling swag for proposed Atlantic Schooners
The Canadian Press January 2 2019

HALIFAX — It doesn't exist yet, but the Atlantic Schooners Football Club — Halifax's proposed CFL team — is already selling swag.

Alyse Hand, a spokeswoman for the group, says merchandise including T-shirts, hoodies, socks and tuques with the club logo are now available from an online store.

Hand says the site was launched just before Christmas "as a way to get Schooners fans excited about a future team."

She says sales have been steady since the launch, and some sizes have sold out.

The clothing is made in Atlantic Canada by the Truro, N.S.-based Stanfield's Ltd.

Last month, Atlantic Schooners founding partner Anthony LeBlanc said more than 6,000 season-ticket applications had been sold, and that plans for a stadium would soon be unveiled.

Hand says the group is in the process of submitting a business analysis to the Halifax Regional Municipality.

"There is no firm date for a release of stadium plans, but Schooners Sports and Entertainment, along with key stakeholders, will be engaging the community this month (mid-January) as it pertains to the proposed stadium and next steps," she said in an email.

Hand says information about a public town hall will be released in the "coming days."

The Canadian Football League announced last month that a regular-season game will be played somewhere in Atlantic Canada in 2019, as part of the Schooners franchise drive.

LeBlanc has said the Toronto Argonauts will face the Montreal Alouettes on Aug. 25, possibly at a temporarily expanded stadium in Halifax, in Moncton, N.B., or at St. Francis Xavier University in Antigonish, N.S.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 1:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

So that's what happened to Alyse Hand.........

There has been quite a housecleaning of on-air staff at CTV Atlantic over the last six months. Does anyone know what's going on?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 3:57 PM

The Schooners have made their first football hire.

http://www.3downnation.com/2019/01/0...ore-christmas/

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
So that's what happened to Alyse Hand.........

There has been quite a housecleaning of on-air staff at CTV Atlantic over the last six months. Does anyone know what's going on?
I knew that name was familiar. I used to work on Jive at 5, a hundred years ago, but somehow I heard that name. Always good people that worked there but that show concept, ugh, all the way back to Dave Wright.

It had a wicked audience share in the 80's though, it and Another World. Funny thing, nobody watched on PEI. They had their own cult "news" broadcast.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 6:51 PM

And possibly Scott Annand formerly CEC in Truro and SMU.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 1:32 PM

www.atlantic.ctvnews.ca/schooners-say-site-of-cfl-game-in-august-still-up-in-the-air-1.4241614

Leblanc says that the biggest cost of holding the game is bringing in temporary seating from Toronto. Didn't Moncton buy 12.5k of temporary seating a few years ago?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 1:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-way-dude View Post
www.atlantic.ctvnews.ca/schooners-say-site-of-cfl-game-in-august-still-up-in-the-air-1.4241614

Leblanc says that the biggest cost of holding the game is bringing in temporary seating from Toronto. Didn't Moncton buy 12.5k of temporary seating a few years ago?
Yes they did

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Yes they did
What a fine use of taxpayer dollars.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 7:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
What a fine use of taxpayer dollars.
It didn't cost much more to buy the damned things than it did to rent them, and they thought they might come in handy for the Magnetic Hill concert site too (in addition to periodic use at the Moncton Stadium). I'm pretty sure the city has rented out the temporary bleachers to somebody else in the meantime too........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment