HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 10:22 PM

CBC Halifax @ 5:30 reported they have learned this should all be open this Friday if all goes well.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 4:54 PM

Now Open

I can confirm, after haven driven through it, the the whole thing is now open for your driving, cycling and walking pleasure!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
I can confirm, after haven driven through it, the the whole thing is now open for your driving, cycling and walking pleasure!

They've finally removed those irritating cones people have been ignoring for months.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 12:49 AM

Let's start a pool on when the first accident occurs at one of the gawdawful roundabouts. I got Saturday afternoon, the 16th.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Let's start a pool on when the first accident occurs at one of the gawdawful roundabouts. I got Saturday afternoon, the 16th.
Now that is unrealistic!

Armdale doesn't even have accidents everyday and it handles multiple times more vehicles and pedestrians then these new ones likely ever will. Also these have fewer confict points than Armdale and standard interchange intersections.

I'd put the first accident in about a month because of the nearby highway. Some driver will probably not slow down enough on the off-ramp to merge into the circle correctly.

Personally I can't wait to get back home and test these roundabouts out.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 5:21 AM

Some coverage of the grand opening;

Haligonia.ca
Halifaxnewsnet.ca

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 9:13 AM

I'm looking forward to using the new overpass/round about when I come home for Christmas. It will make it much easier for my mom to pick me up, since she just moved to the condo's in Royal Hemlocks since selling the house I grew up in.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 2:53 AM

I was just on this tonight. Drove around it on both sides, then went back on the 102. Seen quite a few other cars going on it to 'test' it out as well.

It's not to bad.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 10:27 PM

Shot this today;

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 2:34 PM

Sweet video jackson. Thanks for posting it.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 2:59 AM

Interesting choice of music.
And by interesting I mean absolutely horrible. I hate shitty remixes of good songs

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 3:14 AM

Lol next time I take a video I'll remember to play some older music ... say good old rock and roll.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 5:11 PM

12 years later reviving this thread.

NS DOT is finally expanding this interchange due to heavy traffic backing up onto the 102. This off ramp has been causing daily problems for the 102 even with the six lane section between the Kearney Lake interchange and Larry Uteck.

Quote:
Larry Uteck Boulevard: Widening from Highway 102 North Bound Exit 2B Off Ramp to Starboard Drive
0.7km
https://novascotia.ca/tran/highways/...-2022-2023.pdf

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 6:07 PM

^In addition to the upgrades to Larry Uteck I posted above I found this planning done last year for the Kearney Lake Rd Interchange to be upgraded to roundabouts.

Also of note is the future 102 shown with six lanes.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 4:38 AM

^The first one I read as they will be adding a third lane to LUB eastbound between the 102 outbound ramps and Starboard Drive. The 102 off-ramp will end up with it's own receiving lane which should make things flow better. The question is will the lane end before Starboard Drive or are they planning to alter that roundabout with a right-turn slip lane?

The second post is tied to the development of Bedford West Sub-Area 10. The plan is for the developers to pay for the interchange upgrades similar to how this thread's topic was built and the current work going on up at LUB & Broad.

Welcome changes for both interchanges as long as they are well though out and enacted properly.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 12:42 PM

The roundabouts there have always been the problem. You cannot cheap out by putting roundabouts in a high-traffic area and not expect tie-ups. They need a proper interchange.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 1:36 PM

So this is the second 102 off-ramp that is being backed up on the highway during rush hour due to a bottleneck at a roundabout, the other being Fall River. Are there any others that regularly back up onto the highway? Hopefully Kearney Lake won't be the third.

I'm all for properly-designed roundabouts, but in these cases there seems to bean issue with traffic flow that needs to be resolved. Hopefully the LUB upgrades will fix that issue, but I'm getting to the point of siding with Keith in that maybe there's just too much traffic for this multitude of roundabouts to handle, and perhaps a proper interchange is in order. Backing up traffic onto a 100 km/h highway is dangerous - especially on a section of highway that regularly sees accidents at the best of times.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 3:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Purely for entertainment purposes, I would like to get Keith's opinion on this new Dutch (of course) roundabout, complete with bicycle flyover ramps.

Video Link

Two of the greatest evils in human history combined into one; roundabouts and expensive and unnecessary bicycle flyovers!!!!

I particularly enjoyed the celebratory oompah band on the bicycle-built-for-six at the grand opening at the end of the video.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jan 19, 2022 at 3:40 PM. Reason: miscounted the number of oompah band members on the bicycle.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 3:23 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The roundabouts there have always been the problem. You cannot cheap out by putting roundabouts in a high-traffic area and not expect tie-ups. They need a proper interchange.
If you think a roundabout backs traffic up then just wait until you see a 'proper' interchange in the same location.

If it's an overall traffic issue then there needs to be more ramps or better flow alternatively to resolve the highway traffic issues. Adding stop lights won't fix that.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 6:19 PM

NS DOT messed this up when they choose the wrong roundabout design for the future traffic volume back in 2010.

Quote:
It also has less traffic capacity due to yield, rather than merge, control

http://conf.tac-atc.ca/english/resou...s/j2/weber.pdf

It looks like they chose the PEDESTRIAN friendly option in 2010, which resulted in dangerous backups occurring on a 100km/h freeway.

The new modification will be the design (green) on the left side of the above diagram +12 years later.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure