HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Yeah, I just meant individual major municipalities, not metros, because Metro Vancouver has an elevation difference of like 2.5 kilometers

From my research, I know that Rocky Ridge is the highest point in the city at 1275 meters, but the lowest I can find (Deer Run) is only 1020 meters, for a difference of 255 meters (837 ft). I will keep looking.
Chaparral Valley or Riverstone (Cranston) might be slightly lower than Deer Run. The lowest point in the city would be the Bow River beneath the Deerfoot Extension bridge.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 12:57 AM
Change is good

Edmonton is about 2000ft in the river valley to 2450 out near sherwood park

http://en-us.topographic-map.com/places/Edmonton-35741/

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Do you feel like you could roll out of your bed and night and fall off the world? The flatness TERRIFIED me. I still feel shudders just remembering it. It's odd... because here is more like the "edge of the world", but there it just felt so... like I could trip and fall off the planet.

I need the hills around me, cupped like hands holding something small. Keeps me secure.
Some people do seem to develop interesting connections with the topography they are used to. I can't say I am one of them....there is something about The parkland belt that feels like home to me, but I've lived on the coast, in mountains, in desert....I don't recall ever feeling particularly uneasy about any of them. Even things like being by the ocean was quite 'meh' to me. Many people, and not even those raised on the coast have an affinity to living by the ocean. It was fine enough I guess but I can't think of the last time I missed it.

I know a prairie person that moved to the mountains and had a really hard time adjusting. She said after a while she couldn't help but think that the mountains were blocking her view, and had to remind herself that they were the view themselves.

Re. Including the valley in Edmonton. I don't know if you could really represent how it affects the city elevation wise. I mean if I want to bike to anything on the opposite side of the river and don't use the high level bridge, you basically end up barrelling down some very steep trails and the sweating up the other side. The depth of the valley plays a huge role in the way the city operates. That being said, it is quite possible to live and hardly ever cross the valley. There are also developed slopes in places like Riverdale and the slopes where Rossdale meets downtown.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 12:53 PM

I've remarked to my wife that I feel kind of claustrophobic even in the open farmland of Southern Ontario. I've lived next to the ocean my whole life and am used to having a lot of "forever" next to me. I feel very "cut-off" when I go far inland, somehow. Endless land doesn't feel like endless sea, if that makes sense.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 1:24 PM
ARTchitecture

Which is odd, because there is less nothingness on prairie (towns, villages, cities, highways, etc) than on the ocean. I think I understand what you mean though.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Which is odd, because there is less nothingness on prairie (towns, villages, cities, highways, etc) than on the ocean. I think I understand what you mean though.
Yeah, I know. It doesn't make a lot of sense. Even when we visit the area where she grew up, and where the majority of her family is (Turkey Point / Port Dover) and go to the beach (Erie) something feels "wrong" to me. Hard to put my finger on or explain. Maybe because Southern Ontario doesn't feel "wildernessy" enough for me? And even though I can't see across the lake there, it's not the same somehow as dark water. She feels the opposite, of course... the Atlantic terrifies her because of all the stuff in it she can't see.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 2:35 PM
arf

I've lived both. There is a different isolation in each. Living in Newfoundland I was struck how isolating it felt because the island could feel claustrophobic. So expensive and time-consuming to get anywhere. While I live far from anything of any size now, the options for less than $500 are huge in comparison to the island.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 2:36 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
Yeah, I know. It doesn't make a lot of sense. Even when we visit the area where she grew up, and where the majority of her family is (Turkey Point / Port Dover) and go to the beach (Erie) something feels "wrong" to me. Hard to put my finger on or explain. Maybe because Southern Ontario doesn't feel "wildernessy" enough for me? And even though I can't see across the lake there, it's not the same somehow as dark water. She feels the opposite, of course... the Atlantic terrifies her because of all the stuff in it she can't see.
It could have something to do with the filthy air as well. I noticed in Ontario when I was there the last two weeks that it was hard to breathe correctly for me. If that is the case for you, that could be a contributing factor to the claustrophobic feeling.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 3:24 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I've lived both. There is a different isolation in each. Living in Newfoundland I was struck how isolating it felt because the island could feel claustrophobic. So expensive and time-consuming to get anywhere. While I live far from anything of any size now, the options for less than $500 are huge in comparison to the island.
I only notice this logically; it's not something I really feel. But it's definitely accurate.

After my parents retired, they spent a few years teaching on a First Nations reserve in northern Manitoba. Everyone working there was from Newfoundland.

I have friends (nurses, paramedics, etc.) spread across Canada's far north. All of them have mentioned that everyone they work with is from Newfoundland.

We seem to have a much easier time of it than people who go up there from other provinces, even the Maritimes. Mom thinks its because we're used to the isolation, making our own fun, etc.

Seems to be just as true of people from St. John's as from anywhere else on the island.

It makes sense, really. If I had to move to Yellowknife, I might feel I'm missing out a bit because the city is smaller and has less to offer, but I'd never feel more cut off from the rest of the world than I am here.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middeljohn View Post
A fun look at the Ontario-Manitoba border. You wouldn't believe how incredible it is to drive across it. Canadian Shield to Prairie topography happens pretty much instantaneously.

Yeah it seems the change is basically at the border as well. (Actually a short drive from the border in Manitoba is where the switch happens.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 8:53 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Edmonton is about 2000ft in the river valley to 2450 out near sherwood park

http://en-us.topographic-map.com/places/Edmonton-35741/
730 to 750 m.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 10:33 PM
Registered

In Vancouver the highest neighbourhoods are over 366m/1200 ft above sea level while the city of Richmond is no higher than 3m/10 ft.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 11:55 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by big W View Post
Yeah it seems the change is basically at the border as well. (Actually a short drive from the border in Manitoba is where the switch happens.
The topography might change quickly, but you don't notice because the trees linger for a while. The forest seems to slowly fade to prairie.

As for feeling like you might fall of the earth, there's actually a couple spots in Ottawa that give me that feeling. To me topography isn't so important compared to water. A lake (or probably an ocean) is what I need to not feel totally isolated.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 2:47 AM

Until post #72, one place was conspicuously absent:

0-1200' grade change between the beach and the houses in the background 2km away

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 2:53 AM

Yeah well, this seemed like a contest that BC didn't even have to bother to post in...

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 3:04 AM
ARTchitecture

That's why in my original post on the topic I specified "major municipalities" not CMAs. As everyone knows metro Vancouver has elevation differences of up to several km.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 3:08 AM

Quote:
It could have something to do with the filthy air as well. I noticed in Ontario when I was there the last two weeks that it was hard to breathe correctly for me. If that is the case for you, that could be a contributing factor to the claustrophobic feeling.
The air is not filthy here. I don't know what you are talking about.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 3:15 AM

Air quality really isn't any different. But the higher humidity would definitely make it a bit annoying to breathe for some people, especially if they're not used to it.

Humidity has a huge effect on how people perceive weather. And it has quite an effect on the human body, too. Whenever the humidity drops too low my eyes burn and my skin cracks, for example. Fun stuff

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 3:38 AM

clearly you have never took a breath of wonderful prairie air compared to humid as hell gta took me a few days to get used to it

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 3:49 AM

Kamloops and many BC interior towns have very cool topography. Many dry desert like gullies and cliffs are everywhere.

Kamloops is also the confluence of two major rivers at the city's heart. At river level the elevation is 340 meters. Suburban developments soar up into the surrounding hills as high as 885 meters in the southwest corner of the city.

That is an elevation difference of 545 meters.

Kelowna goes from 342 at lake level to many townhouse developments above 600 meters.

These are built up areas and do not count mountain parks within civic borders.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada