HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperpollock View Post
hoping this will actually go through this time.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130...el-wicker-park

Love it! Really hope this happens. Will probably give the area just a little more reason for business to move to the general area (well they already are) and maybe it'll make some bars stay open even later

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 7:16 PM

AMLI Clark/Polk

Up to 8 floors now.

Dearborn Station

Still scaffolding up and lots of workers.

Can't really see what's being done, but they're getting rid of a lot of scrap brick.

(All pictures, click to enlarge)

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 8:37 AM
dream fast

Quote:

Glad to hear this, "the current plan for the hotel, to be designed by architect Ted Theodore, whose firm also designed the Walgreens building at 1601 N Milwaukee."

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
Glad to hear this, "the current plan for the hotel, to be designed by architect Ted Theodore, whose firm also designed the Walgreens building at 1601 N Milwaukee."
That. Would. Be. Awesome.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 2:14 PM

^Definitely. I feel like we have been waiting on this conversion forever!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 2:32 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:

I think that the perfect fit for the area might be to get the people who run the Ace hotels in Portland and New York to run a hotel in that building.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I think that the perfect fit for the area might be to get the people who run the Ace hotels in Portland and New York to run a hotel in that building.
I really hope so, seems like a natural fit for the area. I stayed at the Ace in Seattle a couple months ago and it was one of the best bang-for-buck deals I've ever had.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 3:20 PM
you know where I'll be

New Hotel Indigo - 168 N. Michigan

Speaking of adaptive re-use hotel projects, visible renovation work is now underway at 168 N. Michigan for its conversion into a new Hotel Indigo and destination restaurant.

I think that as much as any other aspect of the current development boomlet (wonder at what point we might be able to credibly transition to a proper 'boom', even if not as large as the last??) downtown, I'm excited about all of these adaptive reuse projects in historic buildings - at the moment, the vast majority seem to be hotel projects. This is such a huge positive, particularly for the East Loop, but everywhere that it's happening is going to do great things for downtown....

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 3:26 PM

Unfortunately Ace's next stop is Pittsburgh. As much as I'd love an Ace in Chicago, I'm not sure we're cool enough for them. haha. I assume this will be branded similarly to the Hotel Lincoln. Curious to know what they will name it. If we are lucky we'll get a rooftop bar/restaurant which would give amazing views of WP.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 3:43 PM

Pittsburgh's cooler than Chicago!? A wicker park rooftop would be sick. The view from there would be tremendous.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 4:20 PM

Was there news about this? I forget. New 11 story, 104 detached unit addition at 922 W Washington - to the already existing 7 story building at 123 N Sangamon (http://www.123sangamon.com:) The site is currently an empty lot.

"NEW CONSTRUCTION OF AN 11 STORY STORY ADDITION WITH 104 DU'S RESIDENTIAL APARTMENT WITH PARKING LEVELS (1-3) TO AN EXISTING 7-STORY 45 DU BLDG FOR A TOTAL OF 149 DWELLING UNITS WITH 130 PARKING SPACES ON SITE AND ASSOCIATED SITEWORK.LEED CERTIFIED - 922 WEST WASHINGTON STREET. CERTIFIED CORRECTIONS - CONDITIONAL APPROVAL. SUBJECT TO FIELD INSPECTION."

$18.7 Million (https://data.cityofchicago.org/Build...r8-5enu/319281)

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ You know, I read that article, and while some of it has merit, it is far too one-sided. For example:

^ Yes, perhaps it can be looked at this way. But Chicago (and Illinois') biggest problem right now is too many public employee pensions. I'm not sure that eliminating some of these positions is entirely a bad thing. That's what's strangling the goose, so to speak.

In addition, this article keeps harping on the closing of public schools but fails to address the reality that the city is saving money by closing down schools, a process that had to happen because the city lost over 200,000 people in the last decade. Furthermore, those schools can be sold off to private developers and eventually return to the property tax rolls.

Finally, the economic benefit of having thousands of more hotel rooms and an arena in this area of town have yet to be measured. Narry a mention of this in the article either.

Bottom line is, this is a very one sided article, likely written by a disgruntled union liberal.
I just had to point out that it is not a fact and is totally yet-to-be seen that the city is actually saving money by closing down schools. It sounds good in theory but doesn't exactly ink out on paper as most would think it would.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Was there news about this? I forget. New 11 story, 104 detached unit addition at 922 W Washington - to the already existing 7 story building at 123 N Sangamon (http://www.123sangamon.com:) The site is currently an empty lot.

"NEW CONSTRUCTION OF AN 11 STORY STORY ADDITION WITH 104 DU'S RESIDENTIAL APARTMENT WITH PARKING LEVELS (1-3) TO AN EXISTING 7-STORY 45 DU BLDG FOR A TOTAL OF 149 DWELLING UNITS WITH 130 PARKING SPACES ON SITE AND ASSOCIATED SITEWORK.LEED CERTIFIED - 922 WEST WASHINGTON STREET. CERTIFIED CORRECTIONS - CONDITIONAL APPROVAL. SUBJECT TO FIELD INSPECTION."

$18.7 Million (https://data.cityofchicago.org/Build...r8-5enu/319281)

Addition.... meaning turning the existing structure into an 18 story building? Or just constructing a new 11 story building on the neighboring lot?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 5:42 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Pittsburgh's cooler than Chicago!? A wicker park rooftop would be sick. The view from there would be tremendous.

Yes, I believe in the summer, by a degree or two....

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I've heard a rumor that Ace will be coming to Chicago soon.

Last edited by LouisVanDerWright; Dec 14, 2013 at 7:47 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Chicago View Post
Addition.... meaning turning the existing structure into an 18 story building? Or just constructing a new 11 story building on the neighboring lot?
They're constructing a new 11 story building on the neighboring lot with 104 more residential units.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 9:13 PM

Bloomingdale Trail Construction to Begin Next Week
http://the606.org/bloomingdale-trail...gin-next-week/

"The construction includes the rehabilitation of the viaducts and retaining walls, as well as removing the railroad tracks and converting the railway to a multi-use path. CDOT will oversee the construction of the linear park, which will be open to visitors by the end of 2014.
“Construction crews are moving quickly to build the trail, but are also working to ensure that disruptions are kept to minimum,” said CDOT Commissioner Gabe Klein. “Neighbors can expect some parking and travel restrictions during the construction period..."

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 2:46 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,6787159.story

Mayor wants to cash in on Chicago's random parcels with plazas plan
City seeks partnership with company to transform plots into cultural spaces inviting to the public

By John Byrne
Tribune reporter

7:00 p.m. CDT, September 26, 2013

......Mayor Rahm Emanuel is betting a company will look at those random plots and see dollar signs. He's looking for someone to transform the bulk of them into plazas with cultural programs and attractive landscaping. The firm could raise money by selling advertising, securing sponsorships and getting businesses to set up shop.

In return, the city would add inviting public spaces to its neighborhoods, offload maintenance onto a private operator and share in the profits.

The People Plazas program is the latest Emanuel effort to raise revenue by marketing city property to private operators and advertisers.........

That's not stopping the city from going to the same well with the plaza program, which could be awarded as soon as November.......

Supporters envision welcoming communal spaces for people to relax and hang out like those becoming more common in New York, San Francisco and many European cities. But some observers of similar programs elsewhere warn that they can lead to de facto privatization or over-commercialization of ostensibly public areas..............

The city is looking for a single company to do maintenance and upkeep and set up cultural offerings like art or music year-round at 51 plazas. In some cases, the city-owned parcels resemble parks or empty lots, while others look like medians or glorified street corners..........

The city put 51 parcels in the proposal after weeding out some. Transportation spokesman Peter Scales said there are 65 to 70 pieces of city-controlled property in the public right of way. The ones removed were considered too small or inaccessible to be practical or were owned by other city departments, he said...........
I've always thought Chicago has way too many of these dead spot medians/plazas. This could turn into inviting neighborhoods assets IMO. Even if they are end up being a bit over commercialized or are seen to bring in the wrong "element" at times. Certainly nearly anything done is better then weeds and cement taking up potentially vital and highly trafficked space.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 3:01 AM
TL;DR

I agree that these spaces need to be activated. I don't know if they're going about it the right way, though. I'd prefer if zoning allowed adjacent property owners to open businesses/retail, in exchange for a contract that offloads maintenance duties. A lot of these are in residential areas so currently they can't have businesses.

Trying to find a single company to manage and keep up ALL these spaces won't end well. My guess is, we'll end up with JCDecaux or Clear Channel or something, and an expansion of billboards in these areas. Possibly Morris columns or light boxes.

This might be a positive if it gets the city to consider removing the ban on street vendors, but it sounds like the city wants some big corporation and not a bunch of cart-pushers from Pakistan or Mexico.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 3:44 AM

I always wondered why the city didn't turn a few areas into more public spaces for neighborhoods. One of my favorite things about European cities - and actually the Gold Coast here, is the public plazas that are both vibrant social and cultural intimate meeting places of the city. I know it may have been met with some resistance, but I really, really like what has happened with Connors Park in the Gold Coast. It's already a meeting/relaxation spot amongst a number of residents, and elevates the area even that much more. The place in my opinion could turn into something really special - especially with the new 35 story rental tower being built right near it and a hotel right across the street (Sofitel). I only wish 50 E Chestnut would sell its commercial/retail space and I wish it were a restaurant with outdoor seating, but sadly I think the rent there is probably too high for most people. I digress though.

Of course I think the city has to be careful with the spots they pick and which areas of town, but it's something I do love the Rahm is doing with realizing that the city needs free, intimate settings for people to be able to meet in.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development