HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 9:15 AM
loafing in lotusland

I'm sure that statistics will be found to support the spending that will be made on the turnstiles... numbers can be manipulated or misrepresented in many ways.

Perceived safety is important, but it is not because of gates, but rather, an obvious consequence. Because there is a necessary human presence needed at all stations at all times. This could be accomplished with or without gates.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
Falcon wants SkyTrain to run longer hours
Nov, 15 2007 - 10:10 PM

VICTORIA/CKNW(AM980) - Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon would like the Translink Board to look at keeping Skytrain running a few hours later at night. Falcon says a lot of people complain about the fact Skytrain isn't open late enough for them to get home after the bars close in Vancouver, "So, I do think it would be helpful to at least take a look at that that Translink could take a look at that and provide them the opportunities to take the Skytrain home safely."

The last Skytrain to leave Waterfront Station to King George goes at 1:15 in the morning.
The Copenhagen Metro charges double the regular fare late at night (from their website):

Quote:
*Night operation

Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday mornings only.

Night fares

Night fares: Ticket tariffs are doubled if you board the Metro between 1 and 5 a.m. If you use a ten trip card you'll need to punch twice during nighttime.
Of course if we get manned turnstiles, then the cost of night service will also increase. Copenhagen is fully automated with a fare paid honour system.

Last edited by officedweller; Nov 19, 2007 at 7:39 PM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 6:11 AM
Big City Enthusiast

I think Falcon is making great decisions - he's making Vancouver become a BIG CITY - finally. If the Translink Board were making these types of decisions already, then Im sure Falcon would not interfere. But because of their political ambitions and lack of global/urban consideration for the system, Falcon needed to come in and 'kick some ass' and get some much needed accessories and policies in place.

Who cares if the board is cosmetic, we want a reliable, safe, and cost effective metro system and I don't see anybody on Translink's board doing anything thus far that would not warrant Falcon's recent push.

Heck, I'd even say that falcon should be the 'boss' of the system - as long as he makes it into a true urban metro (which his policies are doing), there's nothing for anyone to complain about.

I often wondered why SkyTrain ended at 1:15pm when we have such a large centralized downtown and entertainment districts, which suburbanites come into. I dont think the system should run all night, but I do think the last train should go to at least 2:30am (and maybe even have a few trains go until just after 4am on weekend/large event nights). There would still be at least an hour of downtime, and we're only talking about running a train every 15 minutes (or more) for the night owl service - so you could still do maintenance work on trains and track.

Like I said, these 'common sense' ideas should have already been in place, but it took Falcon to do what the translink mafia couldn't; so why have a commission when they don't make the system work? GO FALCON!!!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 7:02 AM
I worship Led Zeppelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
I think Falcon is making great decisions

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 7:25 AM
with glowing hearts

interesting comment on Facebook:

The new articulated trolley wont be in full service until 2009 as the power system here in Vancouver cant handle the extra power draw.

CMBC (Coast Mountain Bus Company) says the new power system will be up and running by 2009 but I wouldn’t hold your breath because I think CMBC use a calendar a year behind the rest of us.

As for the new Diesel artic CMBC have started to receive them after a lengthy delay due to new flyers problem with batteries over heating but a little tweety bird has told me they have sent them back as they Decibel level is too high!

Once again New Flyer has sent crappy buses, but the reason the decided to use new flyer is that is a Canadian company.

The Nova Buses are made in Montreal but is owned by Volvo

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 11:52 PM

A friend of mine is a bus driver here and he too confirmed the story about New Flyer being chosen solely because the unions wanted a Canadian company to get the contract, instead of the management's wish to hire the *best* provider. So now we're all lumbered with buses that are rubbish - my friend doesn't think they will last 10 years based on his driving them every day for the last few months and discovering all of the bad design decisions in them.

Good-old Canadian engineering. Sure beats that crappy German or Scandinavian stuff, eh...?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 12:42 AM

I doubt that comment about power draw is actually true. The articulated trolleys use the same electric motors as the standard one (according to vancouver transit newsgroup), and there were false comments before regarding the E60LFRs being underpowered.
The old trolleys would blow a circuit out if a dozen of them had heaters turned on within a close radius.

Although I do agree that New Flyer is getting worse and worse...not that I've noticed much better quality on the newer Novabuses either.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
A friend of mine is a bus driver here and he too confirmed the story about New Flyer being chosen solely because the unions wanted a Canadian company to get the contract, instead of the management's wish to hire the *best* provider. So now we're all lumbered with buses that are rubbish - my friend doesn't think they will last 10 years based on his driving them every day for the last few months and discovering all of the bad design decisions in them.

Good-old Canadian engineering. Sure beats that crappy German or Scandinavian stuff, eh...?
This is why instead of playing regional politics you open up the contract to a competitive global bidding process. The reason why companies like New Flyer and Bombardier offer crappy products is because they know that municipalities will still buy them because a local plant will 'create jobs' or it will 'help the Canadian Economy'.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 4:29 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Hi Adrian,

Thanks for your inquiry.

The Transit Village projects are moving ahead and we will be updating the website shortly to reflect the current status. The Plans developed through the Showcase project identified concepts for improvements for the stations and station areas. Now further design work is underway so that these concepts can be implemented.

- The Transit Village Plan for Broadway Commercial is complete. We have received approval to move forward with more detailed station design work in 2008. Construction will begin in 2008. The project will be two phased, with with significant station improvements completed prior to the Olympics and additional capacity improvements made post-2010. There will be open houses in early 2008 to provide further information on the process.
- The Surrey Central Transit Village Plan is complete and implementation options are still being explored with the City of Surrey.
- The Metrotown Plan is also complete. The next phase of design work will begin in early 2008. Construction will likely begin in 2009 or 2010.
- The Edmonds Plan is still under-development and is expected to be completed by spring 2008.

Please let us know if you'd like further information.

Best Regards,

Margaret
I'm guessing we will finally be able to see more renderings of the Broadway-Commercial Drive Station as well as a plan for the Edmons Transit Village soon...

Updated First Post

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee_Haber8 View Post
This is why instead of playing regional politics you open up the contract to a competitive global bidding process. The reason why companies like New Flyer and Bombardier offer crappy products is because they know that municipalities will still buy them because a local plant will 'create jobs' or it will 'help the Canadian Economy'.
The Skoda-Neoplan trolley offer was cheaper and included a local plant. So it was open, just not fair. Although I disagree about Bombardier, they compete internationally for contracts for light/heavy rail, airplanes, etc...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 6:07 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I still can't believe they refused Neoplan. European buses = the best.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 7:51 AM
with glowing hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
I still can't believe they refused Neoplan. European buses = the best.
didn't Neoplan shut down the following year Translink made their decision?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 9:38 PM
with glowing hearts

Ice on Vancouver trolley lines disrupts morning commute
Staff Reporter, The Province
Published: Thursday, November 22, 2007

Ice on Vancouver's trolley lines caused major delays for morning-rush commuters Thursday.

TransLink brought in special trolleys with ice cutters to clear the lines, as many of the trolleys were forced to pull off their routes.

To pick up the slack, diesel buses were brought in on routes served by trolleys, meaning a slight reduction in service for other routes served by the buses.

Suburban routes coming into Vancouver also picked up local customers and B-Line buses did pickups at all stops to pick up stranded passengers.

TransLink spokesman Drew Snider said mid-morning that trolley service was slowly being restored, but warned commuters there would be major delays throughout the morning rush.

The temperature downtown barely topped 1 Celsius at 10:30 a.m. under clear, sunny skies.

© The Vancouver Province 2007

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 10:17 PM

Has this never happened before or somehting? How is this a new or still existing problem? It wasn't even exceptionally icy on my drive to work this morning.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 11:54 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
I don't think so... their site is still there and they still make city busses

Anyway this is what our trolleys could have looked like:
http://www.neoplan.de/datapool/media...liner_engl.pdf (PDF)
http://www.neoplan.de/en/Products/Ci...ectroliner.jsp

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Neoplan didn't shut down. Neoplan USA, which licenses designs and builds buses for the North American market did. However, their parts division is still active, so it wouldn't have been in issue. Who knows however, it may have been a Skoda - Neoplan Europe which did in fact bid for it.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Ice on Vancouver trolley lines disrupts morning commute

The temperature downtown barely topped 1 Celsius at 10:30 a.m. under clear, sunny skies.
god forbid bitter temperatures below 0C during the olympics!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 1:29 AM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Has this never happened before or somehting? How is this a new or still existing problem? It wasn't even exceptionally icy on my drive to work this morning.
I don't recall this ever happening. This was only a problem for the new trolleys. I saw at least ten sitting on the side of Oak St. this morning. Old trolleys were fine.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 3:03 AM
with glowing hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrant View Post
I don't recall this ever happening. This was only a problem for the new trolleys. I saw at least ten sitting on the side of Oak St. this morning. Old trolleys were fine.
well that's just great...so much for resolving 90% of the problems.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 3:12 AM

The problem lies with the automatic dewiring system. In order for the trolleys' poles not to cause damage when they dewire, the new ones simply retract the collector poles down automatically. However, with the ice, it blocks electricity from fully being collected and hence tricks the computer into thinking that it has in fact dewired (forcing the poles down and really dewiring it). Apparantly, according to the transit vancouver group, a fully loaded trolley managed to use the EPU to go from Fraser @ King Edward to Fraser @ Broadway! Also, unlike the old trolleys, these ones can't be fitted with ice cutters...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure