HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 11:39 PM
New Yorker for life

On curbed.com they say there's machinery at work on the site now...

Sounds pretty accurate...

Quote:
In December, he'll start foundation work for 57-story twin towers

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 1:36 PM
JACKinBeantown

At 600 feet they'll be the tallest things in the immediate neighborhood. The next building that height is the Orion, many blocks away.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 5:32 PM

I like those twins. The glassy top gives them class.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 9:59 PM

Wow, Larry actually looks happy on there.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 12:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Trump's got his kids involved, so does Larry.

It will be interesting this time next year to look at all of the skyscrapers rising up along that stretch. Can't wait to start snappin photos...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Trump's got his kids involved, so does Larry.

It will be interesting this time next year to look at all of the skyscrapers rising up along that stretch. Can't wait to start snappin photos...
I look forward to seeing them.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 12:49 PM
New Yorker for life

It'll almost be like watching Time Warner Center go up again...

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 4:37 AM

I think this may also be a candidate for move to highrise construction.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 6:30 PM

Seems like foundation work is well underway per NYC DOB:

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...isn=0001316742

Still listed anywhere from 57 to 59 floors and old height of 522ft.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 7:59 PM

I know this is probably a tough question, but do you think the foundation work began in 2006 or 2007??? (for 2006USA construction highrise list)
Vista Tower, Chicago 1,1199 ft UC 45 Broad St, New York 1,115 ft UC
9 DeKalb Ave, New York 1,066 ft 53W53, New York 1,050 ft UC

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazpmk View Post
I know this is probably a tough question, but do you think the foundation work began in 2006 or 2007??? (for 2006USA construction highrise list)
Well the permit was filed on 12/06/2006. NYguy's photo showed equipment present on 12/12/2006. So I say strong evidence that pile work begun before the end of 2006.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 12:01 AM
New Yorker for life

^ Yeah, it began last year.

(Observer.......Posted by The Real Estate on January 8, 2007 )

Silverstein Adds "Maids' Quarters" to 42nd Street Towers

By Matthew Schuerman

Larry Silverstein wants to add a 12-story, 83-unit, low-income rental building on West 42nd Street that will let him add an extra 10 stories or so on his planned River Place II next-door.

The low-income building, for households earning 80 percent of the area median income, gives Mr. Silverstein a 20 percent zoning bonus, enabling two 57-story towers at 600 West 42nd Street. The affordable-housing building comes in addition to 235 low-income units proposed for the high-rise towers, which will make Mr. Silverstein eligible for cheap state financing and another zoning bonus that he can then sell to other developers nearby.

Community Board 4, however, has asked the city to block the zoning bonus in large part because the entrance to the low-income building is on the 41st Street side, which is fairly bereft of anything interesting other than a bus garage.

"As planned, it will look and feel like the maids' quarters for the rest of the project," the letter, sent last week, said.

The two high-rises, arranged on the north and south sides of the block, will be entered from a plaza in between the two of them, which, in turn, will be reached via sidewalks or driveways accessible from both 41st and 42nd streets. There will also be some retail on the 41st Street side, according to a source familiar with the development.

Silverstein spokesman Dara McQuillan defended the plan, saying in a statement, "We have designed a residential community that will add 318 exquisite apartments for moderate- and low-income residents and families of the community, and we have no doubt that each of the units will be highly sought after."

Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 8:07 AM

Those community boards are bordering on the absurd.

Aren't these the same people that wanted their neighborhoods to have peace and quiet and are dead set against anything that will have lots of traffic and large crowds?

So wouldn't streets with little streetlife be exactly what they want?

Now they are saying you can't build because the streets aren't interesting enough!

F*ckin' unbelievable!!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 10:14 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Those community boards are bordering on the absurd.

Aren't these the same people that wanted their neighborhoods to have peace and quiet and are dead set against anything that will have lots of traffic and large crowds?
Yeah, they can be a bit ridiculous. Remember that 60-story tower that was supposed to go up just a couple of blocks east on 42nd? Well, the board basically "killed" that tower when they came out against plans for the Cirque du Soleil that would be housed in the lower portions. And guess what? Now people are complaining about lack of anything going up there...
http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstra...A80894DF404482

Here's more

Quote:

(The Real Deal)

Related sued over Hell's Kitchen site

Fred Papert, president of the 42nd Street Development Corporation, has filed a lawsuit against the Related Companies over the developer's construction site at 42nd Street between 10th and Dyer avenues. Hell's Kitchen business owners and residents have been complaining about the site's alleged unsightliness and unsanitary conditions; last year community groups blocked the developer from constructing a 60-story, mixed-use tower on the parcel. Papert is seeking $500,000 in damages, saying the site's conditions damage the neighborhood's prosperity. Related is said to be planning a hotel and residential tower on the land.
You've got to be kidding...

(Now back to our regular news)...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 5:28 PM
low-riding

^ Wait is that 440 west 42nd. Lake Related? I didn't know that was cancelled. I mean i hated the design they had planned but damn. They shouldn't be caving into flip flopping knee jerk unhappy with their own lives chronic complainers. douchebags.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 2:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
^ Wait is that 440 west 42nd. Lake Related? I didn't know that was cancelled. I mean i hated the design they had planned but damn. They shouldn't be caving into flip flopping knee jerk unhappy with their own lives chronic complainers. douchebags.
Well, it was somewhat cancelled. The developers have been waivering between commercial and residential. Now word is residential again. But it was practically under construction until NIMBYs killed it. Now another group of NIMBYs is suing the developers for not building anything. Unbelievable.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 6:29 AM
low-riding

the spot is also going to one of the entrances for a new 7 train stop. they have to incorporate that into any design of theirs

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 12:48 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
the spot is also going to one of the entrances for a new 7 train stop. they have to incorporate that into any design of theirs
That's another issue. Apparently it has decided that only a "shell" of a station will be built there for now.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 12:24 PM
New Yorker for life

NY Times

High-Rise Architect Sails Proudly in Mainstream

The architect Costas Kondylis, in the sales office of Atelier, with a model of the building, which he designed.

By ROBIN POGREBIN
February 5, 2007

Costas Kondylis certainly doesn’t look like a troublemaker.

In jacket and tie, with slicked-back silver hair, he comes across as a successful architect enjoying the fruits of his 40-year experience in New York — which he is. But he also happens to be the designer of some of the city’s most polarizing projects, including Donald Trump’s various towers, the Plaza Hotel’s renovation and four residential towers in the far West 40s that some architecture aficionados dismiss as dull blots on the skyline.

Mr. Kondylis is clearly not uncomfortable in the middle of controversy. He has established a 185-member office, completed 75 buildings in New York and currently has 15 more in the works. If the architecture profession hasn’t exalted him as much as it has some others, the city’s developers keep hiring him. Again and again and again.

“I did not design museums and philharmonic halls — that’s Frank Gehry territory,” Mr. Kondylis said in a recent interview at his office. “But I always push design, and our buildings were always ahead of the game, and I think now we are in the design mainstream.”

Not everyone considers the mainstream a good place to be. “Things are changing in New York in a positive way,” said the architect Richard Meier, who suggested that Mr. Kondylis’s aesthetic “is sort of where it was, not where it’s going.”

“Costas is a traditional architect for developers who want traditional buildings in New York,” added Mr. Meier, who said he was replaced by Mr. Kondylis on a project near Gracie Mansion because “the developer wanted something traditional and didn’t want a good contemporary building.”

Mr. Kondylis’s clients include several of the city’s major developers, like the Related Companies, Vornado Realty Trust and Forest City Ratner Companies. But his name is perhaps most closely associated with Mr. Trump.

Mr. Kondylis designed the Trump International Hotel and Tower at Columbus Circle, several buildings at Trump Place in the West 60s along the Hudson River, and Trump World Tower near the United Nations, whose 90 stories claim the title of the world’s tallest residential building.

“Costas is an architect with great aesthetic taste who can also draw plans,” Mr. Trump said. “He’s never been given proper credit until recently. He’s starting to get it now.”

While many New Yorkers consider Mr. Trump’s buildings too shiny, too tall or just tasteless, Mr. Kondylis makes no apologies for his association with the developer. “He’s an entrepreneur like all the American entrepreneurs — the Paleys and the Carnegies,” Mr. Kondylis said. “They had guts.”

Yet he acknowledged that he doesn’t like everything Mr. Trump demands. “He wanted a gold building — gold this and gold that,” Mr. Kondylis said of Trump World Tower, which ended up bronze (Mr. Kondylis’s preference). “The only compromise was the way the canopy had to incorporate bronze and the Trump name,” he added. “The way I justify it for myself, it’s the branding of the building. That’s something sometimes you have to deal with. Like designing for Gucci, it’s maintaining a brand.”

Larry A. Silverstein, the developer of the World Trade Center site, enlisted Mr. Kondylis for two buildings on the far West Side. The first, called Riverplace I, on West 42nd Street between 11th and 12th Avenues, has about 900 apartments and was completed in 2001. The other, on 11th Avenue between 41st and 42nd Streets, is under way. In the same neighborhood, for the Moinian Group, Mr. Kondylis designed the Atelier at 635 West 42nd Street and a high-rise tower now being built at 605 West 42nd Street.

“He designs an attractive, buildable, functional building,” Mr. Silverstein said. “If I’m going to do a residential building in New York, the most natural thing in the world is to pick up the phone and call Costas.”

At a time when many high-profile architects are challenging the city’s skyline with unorthodox designs, Mr. Kondylis’s more conventional style can seem like a throwback. But there is still a market for it. “He brings a level of sophistication and elegance to middle-class aspirations,” said Fredric M. Bell, executive director of the New York chapter of the American Institute of Architects. “He’s a compromiser. He’s someone who takes the realities of the marketplace and tries to work around the edges.”

Despite Mr. Kondylis’s financial success, his architecture is often ignored by the critics. An exception was Herbert Muschamp’s review of Trump World Tower in The New York Times: “It punches through the morbid notion that the Midtown skyline should be forever dominated by two Art Deco skyscrapers, the Empire State and Chrysler buildings, as if these cherished icons couldn’t stand the competition.”

Mr. Kondylis remains unfazed by the lack of approbation. “Of course I care,” he said. “I’m very interested in what architects think of my work. But that’s not what guides me. There is a suspicion among developers when you care too much. They think you’re designing for the cover of an architecture magazine.”

The Greek-born Mr. Kondylis came to New York 40 years ago, after working in Switzerland. He grew up a fan of industrial design and showed an early affinity for architecture: as a child, when his parents were building a home in Athens, he would visit the site and give them his opinion. He was enthralled by residential building. “It’s a decision you make early in your life,” he said. “With housing, you have a sense of accomplishing something on a social level. You build neighborhoods.”

While some New Yorkers have complained that his projects cast shadows, bring congestion or clash with the prevailing aesthetic, he said he stands by his designs as vertical neighborhoods.

“I believe in skyscrapers,” he said. “It’s the most environmental form of urban development.”

Mr. Kondylis, however, lives on a low floor of an Upper East Side prewar building and said his apartment was modeled after his image of the architect Mies van der Rohe in his red-and-white-checked wing chair— “warm, sympathetic, cozy.”

“I don’t think the apartment has to make a statement about who I am,” Mr. Kondylis said. “I like it to be soothing to my psyche.”

He has happily embraced his reputation as the Developer’s Architect — designing the maximum square footage with materials that meet the budget. “My concern is to create value for the developer, because they’re my clients,” he said.

Mr. Kondylis said his conscience is clear: While he has made some concessions to developers along the way, he has never sold out.

“Sometimes we have battles,” he said. “Some I win, and some I lose, and some I come out O.K. I can’t think of one building I never want to associate my name with. I push the project to the limit until I feel I’m losing a client. We can’t afford to lose a client.

“We can afford to, but it’s not professional.”

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 8:11 PM
low-riding

good for him. i like the majority of his work. i love trump world tower. though Riverplace 1 is boring from most angles except 1

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive