HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
It was announced today that an Atlanta based firm will build two Marriott brand hotels in SoBro near the new convention center. One hotel will be a Residence Inn the other a Springhill Suites. The will include parking garages. One will be 11 stories the other 16.

My concern with this announcement is that SoBro will still only have one full-service hotel to serve the convention center, that being the Omni. Given the size of the convention center and the size of the groups that are already booked SoBro needs more full-scale hotels not these limited service hotels. Plus there needs to be at least one additional hotel with 400 to 600 rooms. Most of the hotels being built will have around 200 to 250 rooms. If Nashville doesn't work on getting another major hotel property in that area it will potentially jeopardize the attractiveness of hosting events at the new convention center. The city has to keep in mind that the Gaylord Opryland Hotel is still there and it is an all in one facility. Nashville has to compete with that environment. If they don't have the proper hotels near the convention center it will be hard to compete. I'd like to see a Westin, Wynham, Grand Hyatt, W, Intercontinental, Conrad, Crown Plaza in the area. And, I hope the next hotel will have a better design than the Omni. It seems to me Tony would be trying to get in on the action with a major hotel as opposed to a smaller limited service hotel. Tony's projects are proving to be dead in the water projects, he needs something to reignite his presence.
Other than Signature Tower, how many other failed projects has Tony had that would earn him the reputation of "Dead-in-the-water Tony" ? Isn't his rental tower close to getting underway ?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 5:04 PM

Here's the Nashville Post article from William Williams on the two new hotels.

Two Marriott hotels slated for SoBro

I think we need to be a little more patient on the full service hotel announcements. Obviously, there will likely be one as a third tower at West End Summit. Rumors are also going around about another full-service hotel that is planned but unannounced as of yet. I'm curious to see the design of these new, smaller hotels but pleased we're getting so much infill in SoBro this quickly.

Regarding Tony, his only big "failure" was Signature Tower and that was really close to getting out of the ground. I think 505 CST is more long-term, but hopefully we will hear about his SoBro tower soon.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 5:25 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Other than Signature Tower, how many other failed projects has Tony had that would earn him the reputation of "Dead-in-the-water Tony" ? Isn't his rental tower close to getting underway ?
I haven't heard anything over on UP, but who knows. There are one or two projects that are making a lot of progress that should break ground soon.

About these two hotels, 11 and 16 stories. Not very much height, but once again they'll add some pretty nice density and will provide a ton of pedestrian traffic. I hope they have a strong design that promotes pedestrian activity. At this point, anything that is on par with the Omni or better as far as design elements will be alright in my book.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 11:51 PM

The Residence Inn will be 14 stories and the Springhill Suites will be 16 stories (5 for the garage).

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 9:56 PM

Foundation permit has been pulled for the 12th & Laurel apartments. This puppy is ready to go!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 12:19 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresooner View Post
Foundation permit has been pulled for the 12th & Laurel apartments. This puppy is ready to go!
I'm really looking forward to this one.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 12:43 AM

Southern Land plans up to 300 apartments for 1.5 acres at Broadway and 17th Ave. S. The apartment community will be at the West End/Broadway fork across from West End Summit.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...roject-Midtown

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 3:58 AM

That's great news! Southern Land has been cranking out some of the best projects in Nashville, including Elliston 23 and the new proposed Green Hills apartment building.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
My use of the words Dead in the water might not have been the best words to describe his projects. However, because of the hype he clearly had on the table the most significant highrise proposal ever for Nashville and he went through several iterations of the project trying to make it work. He also kept the concept in the public eye a long period of time and so it gives the appearance of not being able to bring such a major project to fruition. In addition to Signature Tower, he announced plans for what we now call the North Gulch that apparently never got off the drawing table. He wanted to basically guide the development of the land between the Church Street viaduct and Charlotte Pike. But it seems other developers have come in and taken over that entire area as they begin to plan the areas future.

I still hope that he's able to pull off all of his projects, but when you see so many developers from outside of Nashville achieving multiple successes in acquiring land and developing it, you have to pause and wonder why a local developer like Tony with really fantastic concepts, seems to be lagging behind.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
I haven't heard anything over on UP, but who knows. There are one or two projects that are making a lot of progress that should break ground soon.

About these two hotels, 11 and 16 stories. Not very much height, but once again they'll add some pretty nice density and will provide a ton of pedestrian traffic. I hope they have a strong design that promotes pedestrian activity. At this point, anything that is on par with the Omni or better as far as design elements will be alright in my book.
These proposed hotels by Marriot will provide infill, but they will not appeal to someone who is attending a major 3-5 day convention in the city. SoBro specifically will need at least one more major hotel to truly support the MCC. Someone mentioned that the WES may have a hotel, which is fine. But, people attending events at the MCC will not find walking, driving or taking a cab to the MCC appealing. This is why Nashville needs to seriously address mass transit.

This might be the time for Tony to build a dual purpose highrise. The area is ripe for another major hotel and he could also add residential floors similar to those he proposed in Signature Tower. Depending on the footprint of the property, he or someone else could achieve Nashville's first 40+ story building.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 1:58 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
My use of the words Dead in the water might not have been the best words to describe his projects. However, because of the hype he clearly had on the table the most significant highrise proposal ever for Nashville and he went through several iterations of the project trying to make it work. He also kept the concept in the public eye a long period of time and so it gives the appearance of not being able to bring such a major project to fruition. In addition to Signature Tower, he announced plans for what we now call the North Gulch that apparently never got off the drawing table. He wanted to basically guide the development of the land between the Church Street viaduct and Charlotte Pike. But it seems other developers have come in and taken over that entire area as they begin to plan the areas future.

I still hope that he's able to pull off all of his projects, but when you see so many developers from outside of Nashville achieving multiple successes in acquiring land and developing it, you have to pause and wonder why a local developer like Tony with really fantastic concepts, seems to be lagging behind.
Various reasons. Many of the developers from outside of Nashville are developing on different scales. Smaller hotels and various other developments that aren't as massive as say 505 Church Street and the SoBro.

I think the best shot Tony G has is the SoBro.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 4:08 AM

Thumbs up New Apartment Building for Rolling Mill Hill

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 4:20 AM

Last edited by ariesjow; Jan 31, 2013 at 4:33 AM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 11:15 PM

Giarratana, partner plan apartments on 2 Midtown parcels

Quote:
Developer Tony Giarratana and an equity partner paid $1.8 million for two parcels at Elliston Place and 21st Avenue in Midtown with plans to build apartments.

The roughly .7-acre site, which includes the location of DryClean USA and an adjacent vacant parcel, is the latest to be snapped up by developers in Nashville’s Midtown.

“It’s drawing interest because people are wanting to move back to the inner core of the city and be close to the entertainment district,” said Charlie Robin, owner of Robin Realty. “The trend will continue and because of that you’ll see additional development of residential apartments — and condos in the future — in Midtown.”

Among other nearby developments, Southern Land Co. is building the six-story Elliston23 apartment and retail project at 2300 Elliston Place. That Franklin-based developer also has roughly 1.5 acres near the intersection of 17th Avenue South and Broadway under contract with plans for another apartment community with up to 300 units.

Giarratana and Chicago-based partner LaSalle Investment Management bought the properties at 2110 Elliston Place and 201 21st Ave. N. near Baptist Hospital and Nashville’s medical district from local private investor Mike Shmerling.

“We look forward to releasing details in the spring,” Giarratana said about plans for the apartment project at the roughly 30,000-square-foot site.

One observer familiar with the plans, however, said that the Midtown project could involve 105 apartment units.

Giarratana’s background includes developing The Cumberland apartments and the Viridian condos off Church Street and the Encore condos south of Broadway.

The price Giarratana and LaSalle paid for the Midtown site equates to roughly $60 a square foot.

Peter Han, DryClean USA’s owner, said he’s seeking a new location.

Our first glimpse at the final SoBro master plan

Quote:
The development team led by Pittsburgh-based Urban Design Associates has wrapped up its master plan for SoBro. The report is too big for us to upload, but you can get at it here. We're going to peruse the plan in greater detail soon, but here are some first impressions.

FYI, parts of this plan already are moving forward: UDA was recently awarded a contract to draw up plans for a pedestrian bridge from SoBro to The Gulch and for the redesign of the former Thermal plant site.

Last edited by ariesjow; Feb 2, 2013 at 11:54 PM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 6:04 PM

I read a bit of the SoBro Master Plan and it's pretty interesting. One thing that I totally agree with and that is to increase the height requirements for all buildings built along the KVB corridor to a minimum of 5 stories and no surface parking. Overall the plan seems well thought out and addresses key concerns for the various areas that make up SoBro. The theme seems to be for there to be restrictions but not so much so that the area ends up being like downtown. It even states that the area needs to maintain it's sense of quirkiness and use that as positive to attract visitors and citizens to the area.

Years ago I think most of us would be thinking such a plan is so ambitious for Nashville. But today, such a plan can be fulfilled if the city continues to promote development and embraces high density urban living, working, shopping and entertainment.

BTW: In the Public Art segment of the plan, they included photos of what I assume to be possible or maybe existing public art. Actually, I believe it's just being suggestive not recommended what it is pictures. Anyway, I like the tall microphone sculpture and if it's not already somewhere in the city, I think it would be a wonderful piece of public art. Maybe for the KVB round about.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 6:20 PM

^ The public art you mentioned is actually a bicycle rack at the Music Row Roundabout. Also, here is a direct link to the SoBro Master Plan.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 6:23 PM

Giarratana, partner plan apartments on 2 Midtown parcels

That's an interesting parcel of land. Can't wait to see what Tony proposes for the land if it is an apartment building. Seems to me he would need the corner parcel as well if he plans to build anything of any substance there.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
^ The public art you mentioned is actually a bicycle rack at the Music Row Roundabout. Also, here is a direct link to the SoBro Master Plan.

Thanks, that's cool. Functional art as well.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 8:07 PM

Quote:
That's an interesting parcel of land. Can't wait to see what Tony proposes for the land if it is an apartment building. Seems to me he would need the corner parcel as well if he plans to build anything of any substance there.
I think the apartment building will need some height given the confines on those two lots. This will also be a prominent corner on Elliston Place. I'm crossing my fingers it'll be taller than the Baptist parking garage behind the site. I'm also crossing my fingers that Tony G tackling another residential project is a good sign for the SoBro. It seems like we've waited a while for a start date to be announced.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
I think the apartment building will need some height given the confines on those two lots. This will also be a prominent corner on Elliston Place. I'm crossing my fingers it'll be taller than the Baptist parking garage behind the site. I'm also crossing my fingers that Tony G tackling another residential project is a good sign for the SoBro. It seems like we've waited a while for a start date to be announced.
I agree that an apartment building on that site needs some height. But it has a relatively small footprint to work within. Unless Tony is willing to build an apartment building with no more than 3-4 units per floor, I can't imagine it being too much taller than the Baptist parking garage. There's an apartment building in NYC that I walked by about a year ago that is about 25 stories and it is a very narrow building. I went in just for the hell of it to see what the apartments looked like and there were only 2-4 apartments per floor, depending on how high up you were. The largest pre-constructed unit was a 2-bedroom that was right at 1,100 square feet. The building is a contemporary design that is mostly glass with the use of some stone or concrete and steel to achieve the contemporary design elements, all the apartments had glass walled balconies on each corner. The top floors only had 2 apartments and could be custom designed, so there were no specific floor plans for the top 5-6 floors. There was even the potential for 2 story designs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations