HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

FMC Tower at Cira Centre South in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 7:22 PM
Realtor

from today

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 8:32 PM
HERO

is the area that is now being demolished where the new parking garage will go? or is this the spot for the apartment or office building?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 9:45 PM
My CAT digs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plompy Lfeata View Post
is the area that is now being demolished where the new parking garage will go? or is this the spot for the apartment or office building?
That is the Postal Annex. Both towers and the garage will be going onto this lot. The Main Post office (new IRS Facility) is at far left in the picture above. The Chestnut St residential tower will come next and that is attached to the garage. (I am not sure if that tower is actually sitting on top of part of the garage.) The mixed use Walnut St tower will be to the right.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
The Cira South project looks nice. I'm not so sure whether the Cira 3 should be built or not, because it looks like overkill to me. I'd like to see something designed different, for more diversity please!!! Thank you!!!
It can never be overkill, I can live with 100 of these shiny crystal towers and maybe we can change the name from University city to Crystal City .

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 12:50 AM

cira and the future

on Monday my wife and I went to have lunch in Rae the restaurant in the cira center. We parked in the Amtrak garage and walked into the skybridge to take the escalator down to the ground floor. as we walked along and looked out through the triangular paneled glass canopy that projects out over the entrance, it was if you were in some futuristic building. The view of the murano with its gleaming curves and the CC's elegant slender glass tower all added to a feeling of being in the future. The view of the elevated regional rail lines and the Amtrak lines below gave a sense of being at the center of an important place of convergence which of course it is. It was easy to project mentally a not so distant future where this is a city within a city, the center of Megalopolis

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 3:54 AM

I think Brandywine Trust Realty has high confidence these towers will get built. :^) They had the renders painted all over their shuttling tour bus that pulls up to Cira Centre.

As far as the Annex, I was thinking that they are nearly done leveling it so things should be quick. BUT, aren't there all sorts of Tracks and a roadway underneath that building? I tried to get some shots a week or two back and ended up walking underneath it (which is a pretty desolate and nasty area btw lol).

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 11:01 PM

Location: philadelphia -umm loft district/chinatown, i don't know what its called
from today

shot this today

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 11:13 PM
Resident Jackass

progress

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 3:29 PM
BANNED

Yes nice progress indeed but dont expect any towers to start rising for a couple more years. The plan is to renovate the post office building first. If it werent for the fact that they need a new parking garage that annex probably wouldnt have even been touched until 2010-2011.

That 50 story tower is going to be amazing at this location

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 1:12 PM

Brandywine Realty 'cautious' on 2008 outlook

Brandywine Realty 'cautious' on 2008 outlook
The troubles of the housing market get a daily airing on the news, but the office and industrial sides are feeling the pinch too.

Brandywine Realty Trust, of Radnor, issued its year-end financial results last week, just a couple of weeks after the resignation of two members of the real estate firm’s board.

The 2007 numbers were in line with expectations, but several analysts have expressed concerns that the company’s acquisition of Prentiss Properties in 2006 has not delivered for shareholders.

Last week’s analyst call focused primarily on what Brandywine executives are seeing in the current real estate environment and what president and CEO Gerry Sweeney called their “somewhat more cautious view on the economy.”

“We are in a type of market where, frankly, everything is for sale and nothing is for sale,” he said. “… I view 2008 as a year to strictly focus on operational execution, balance-sheet strengthening and our leasing activities.”

That means no acquisitions and no “development activity unless accompanied by both significant pre-leasing and improved financial capacity,” Sweeney told analysts, according to a transcript of the call posted by Seeking Alpha.

However, that does not mean that Brandywine is backing away from its ambitious rehabilitation of the 30th Street Post Office in West Philadelphia for the IRS. Part of the Cira Centre South project, the post office redevelopment will cost $290 million, and Brandywine has been talking with possible joint venture partners who would take “a major equity stake” in it.

Sweeney also addressed the resignations of Thomas F. August and Michael V. Prentiss. The resignation letter of August, which was filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, was particularly candid, expressing frustration with the status quo and outlining how to change the management structure.

According to Sweeney, August’s letter was sent as an internal e-mail and under SEC rules it had to be filed as part of his resignation. “We all regret this had to be included as it portrayed a different picture than the process that was truly underway,” Sweeney said.

“Simply put, we all care very much about the success of the company, and sometimes that creates emotional reactions,” he said.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildItUp View Post
It can never be overkill, I can live with 100 of these shiny crystal towers and maybe we can change the name from University city to Crystal City .
I'd rather not. Crystal City (DC suburb) is hideous.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 1:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post

However, that does not mean that Brandywine is backing away from its ambitious rehabilitation of the 30th Street Post Office in West Philadelphia for the IRS. Part of the Cira Centre South project, the post office redevelopment will cost $290 million, and Brandywine has been talking with possible joint venture partners who would take “a major equity stake” in it.
No mention of the two towers.

Brandywines stock price was $37 last year and now its $17.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 2:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsgrant View Post
Well it was the weakest of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, so I don't blame them for not mentioning it.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 2:14 AM

Weakest? Two Towers was where the brunt of the story happened (Ents, Helm's Deep, Gollum's return), but... The taller tower on the south side looks great, but I'm afraid the short one they proposed for the north end of the site will take away from Cira 1's uniqueness. It won't look quite as dazzling with two. Certain buildings, like Commerce Square, can look nice with a pair that compliment each other with their symmetry. Cira is such an unsymmetrical beauty, it wouldn't have nearly the dazzle alongside a twin.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 2:50 AM

the Two Towers was my favorite book by far....it had the most plot development

sorry for going off topic let's all hope that they keep moving forward

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 12:17 AM
HERO

Quote:
but I'm afraid the short one they proposed for the north end of the site will take away from Cira 1's uniqueness. It won't look quite as dazzling with two. Certain buildings, like Commerce Square, can look nice with a pair that compliment each other with their symmetry. Cira is such an unsymmetrical beauty, it wouldn't have nearly the dazzle alongside a twin.
i agree, also the building is just to small, in the renderings it looks more like a growth off the side of the parking garage.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsgrant View Post

Brandywines stock price was $37 last year and now its $17.
I'm going to say that's because Brandywine is in real estate and, to 99% of Wall Street and the general public, real estate is not a good place to be.

I think Brandywine will continue to develop Cira South but will not take on any other major projects in the near future. Other areas of the country may be feeling real hurt over the changes in the real estate market but Philly's pain will not be so bad. It will itch/annoy more than hurt.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 9:08 PM
BeenThere,DoneThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrgtr8 View Post
Weakest? Two Towers was where the brunt of the story happened (Ents, Helm's Deep, Gollum's return), but... The taller tower on the south side looks great, but I'm afraid the short one they proposed for the north end of the site will take away from Cira 1's uniqueness. It won't look quite as dazzling with two. Certain buildings, like Commerce Square, can look nice with a pair that compliment each other with their symmetry. Cira is such an unsymmetrical beauty, it wouldn't have nearly the dazzle alongside a twin.
I wouldn't worry. These towers are so far in the future that there are sure to be many changes before somthing is actually built. It will probably look totally different by then.
(architects can't stop fooling with their plans until the very last minute)

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 1:44 AM
concrete wasteland

Article in the Wall Street Journal today suggests the Cira South tower could be pushed back due to the credit crunch:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120407286615895105.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSJ
Colleges Teach 'Urban Development 101'
Involvement in Projects Reflects Need to Upgrade Schools' Surroundings
By NICK TIMIRAOS
February 27, 2008; Page B10

One of the most ambitious real-estate-development projects in Philadelphia involves revamping a 42-acre eyesore on the banks of the Schuylkill River into a hub featuring gleaming office towers, apartments, a hotel and restaurants. The catalyst for the $2 billion redevelopment: the University of Pennsylvania.

Universities, increasingly, are extending their reach to off-campus development in an effort to give their surrounding areas and town centers a vibrant and modern feel. In the process, they are becoming major drivers of economic development after concluding that their fortunes are directly tied to those of their cities.

The completion date for Cira Centre South could be pushed back by the credit crunch.
"The future of Penn depends on the future of Philadelphia," says Penn President Amy Gutmann. "If we don't take on the challenge of helping to redevelop our part of the city, nobody else is going to do it as well as we are going to do it." University officials say the campaign could eventually bring 4,000 new jobs to the area.

Another reason for the push is that institutions are recognizing that, along with lucrative financial packages and strong academic reputations, they need to have attractive and exciting college towns to lure top faculty and students.

The University of Maryland in College Park is converting a 38-acre tract of industrial development on its campus into a shopping district with a hotel, theaters and a music center to further spur redevelopment along a depressed stretch of U.S. Route 1, the town's main thoroughfare.

"We've actually lost some [potential] faculty who have driven down Route 1 and said, 'We're not going to move here,' " says Douglas M. Duncan, who is overseeing the $700 million redevelopment project.

Cleveland's Case Western Reserve University is developing an arts and retail district in a neighborhood on its campus border that students and faculty consider unsafe. "We've been living around it for years," says Margaret Carney, Case Western's architect and planner. Other universities, including Harvard and Columbia, have begun to develop recently acquired, large parcels adjacent to their campuses.

Penn's project is part of a $6.7 billion 30-year expansion and follows a separate effort that began more than 10 years ago to improve blighted parts of its residential community after a crime wave threatened student and faculty recruitment. The university renovated homes, converted a parking lot into a bookstore and movie theater and opened a public school to spur community development. "It turned into a competitive advantage," says Judith Rodin, who served as Penn's president for 10 years until 2004.

But real-estate deals aren't always an easy sell. While a private developer will handle Penn's current project, the university couldn't find a partner during its first wave of development in the 1990s, forcing university leaders to justify the school's decision to invest $100 million on its own, as some faculty preferred to see more money go toward faculty endowments.

Neighbors also eye some expansion projects warily, such as New York University's proposal to add six million square feet to its campuses in the next 25 years, half of that in Greenwich Village. "There are more and more parts of the neighborhood where you feel like NYU is the sole defining entity, and that footprint is growing and growing," says Andrew Burman, executive director of the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation.

Developers are eager to join ventures with colleges, which they see as providing a steady stream of business. "Universities are fairly reliable partners," says Sal D. Rinella, president-elect of the Society for College and University Planning, who argues that universities are recession-resistant: "As the overall economy gets worse, higher education enrollments tend to go up."

Penn's campus expansion will allow the school to move administrative and nonessential activities to the campus periphery while bringing academic and residential units to the campus center.

Penn has partnered with Brandywine Realty Trust, which has a 90-year lease on the property it plans to develop. Construction has begun on one parcel, but the 2012 completion date for the 43-story Cira Centre South office building could be pushed back by the current credit crunch. The developer says it is looking for partners and will decide next year whether to change its timetable.

Write to Nick Timiraos at nick.timiraos@wsj.com

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 1:42 PM

that's not the most encouraging news however i am not worried at all.

brandywine is a pretty reputable company with a 90yr lease on the land. and with penn behind this project i'm extremely confident that this will be built. regardless of brandywine's and the economy's fortunes, penn will see to it that the area will be re-developed in accordance with its vision of offices, residences, and retail.

also, the timetable as it now stands - 2012 is a long ways off. we knew that from the beginning that it could change in either direction. right now the momentum is pushing the date further away, but its entirely possible that could change in the opposite direction by this time next year. the point is, when dealing with such a long-term project you never know how or when it will turn out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive