HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 1:07 AM

Yeah, it kinda looks like those old US Army base buildings in Pleasantville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
The student population (900 students) is about 50% larger than Bishops, so I would suppose it's the largest school in St. John's.

It's nice to have a new school of course, but too bad the design is so hideous and stuck in the fifties/sixties, in a bad way.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
The student population (900 students) is about 50% larger than Bishops, so I would suppose it's the largest school in St. John's.

It's nice to have a new school of course, but too bad the design is so hideous and stuck in the fifties/sixties, in a bad way.

When I went to PWC we had about 900 students. I think it just wasn't built for that student population and this is probably the size that 900 students are supposed to be in.

also, according to wikipedia Holy heart has over 900 students.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_He...ry_High_School

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 8:27 PM

Holy Heart had over 1000 a few years ago.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 1:39 PM

The traffic flow looks all wrong on that mock-up. The drop-off area is done is such a way that the school is on the driver's side. Seems like a needlessly dangerous way to drop off students. Plus, the weaving nature of the micro-roads going everywhere looks designed to confuse.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 6:18 PM

I’m not sure what the capacity will be for this new school however I hope the School Board did a better job of looking at the demographic trends than they did for schools in Paradise and CBS where they now have to add on portable classrooms.

It's understandable that you are not going to build a school for 1000 if the need for the next n years is 700 but you can still design it such that additional space can be added easily and conform to the design of the building. How about stackable modular classrooms!

Hopefully the finished product for this school will not be too bland but in the long run it probably won’t matter that much because so many school buildings and properties are neglected, especially the grounds. It will be interesting to see how many of those trees and shrubs in the picture actual get planted or last more than a year.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 5:12 PM

Is it just me or does it seem like it has been a slow construction season thus far? There hasn’t been much new started this year and a few of the larger projects are winding down. When are we going to see the next major project started and I wonder what it will be? (start rumours now)

There seems to be a fair bit of medium to small stuff on the go but no exciting highrises (and I mean MORE than 4 stories). I guess we were spoiled for the past few years with 351 and Fortis.

I would have thought that the Marriott extension would have started by now after all the trouble they went through to get approval, but so signs of any activity. The condo market seems to have gone south so don’t expect much there, the office sector seems to have been adequately filled and the retail sector is chugging along here and there. The hotel sector seems to be the most likely for a major project and there are quite a few on the books right now.

It’s still not too late to see something underway before the snow flies and in recent years even the snow hasn’t hampered activity. Hopefully we will see something big start soon.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 12:33 PM

Driving down Kenmount Road yesterday and seen survey crew at the Sandman site. Not sure if this is still proceeding or not but at least it is something.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown_1 View Post
Driving down Kenmount Road yesterday and seen survey crew at the Sandman site. Not sure if this is still proceeding or not but at least it is something.
Nice, I had forgotten about that. Also, welcome to the site!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 8:00 PM

I noticed this public notice on the city's website. By no means earth shattering, but interesting nonetheless.

My apologies if this has been posted previously, I've been away from the forums for a little bit and haven't read through recent posts.

Quote:
Application - 2-8 Great Southern Drive

Start Date:
Tue, 2014/07/22 - 12:00pm

A Discretionary Use Application has been submitted by Atlantic Planning & Management Ltd. requesting approval to establish and operate a national brand coffee shop with drive-thru, a service station with convenience store and a national brand fast food restaurant at 2-8 Great Southern Drive. The application satisfies all requirements of Section 7.30 'Drive-Thru Facilities' of the St. John’s Development Regulations and has the required separation distance from a residential zone. The proposed coffee shop with drive-thru will have a total floor area of 167.2 m2, the service station with convenience store will have a total floor area of 232.3 m2 and the fast food restaurant will have a total floor area of 162.6 m2. On-site parking will be provided.
http://www.stjohns.ca/public-notice/...southern-drive

This area is a part of Southlands just as you exit off Pitts Memorial; I can't see the coffee shop being Tim Hortons, seeing that one already exists on Merchant Dr which is all of 1 minute drive away.... although stranger things have happened!

Funny enough, I also noticed this in the July 28 council agenda that commerical development with retail, commercial condos, daycare centre, a restaurant, and a bank in Southlands as well (pg. 133).

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...%2C%202014.pdf

Looks like Southlands is finally getting some ammenities. Like it or hate it... I'll leave that to your discretion.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 2:09 PM

Hmm. Interesting. Seems like a good spot to establish a stopover hub for truckers and like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I noticed this public notice on the city's website. By no means earth shattering, but interesting nonetheless.

My apologies if this has been posted previously, I've been away from the forums for a little bit and haven't read through recent posts.

This area is a part of Southlands just as you exit off Pitts Memorial; I can't see the coffee shop being Tim Hortons, seeing that one already exists on Merchant Dr which is all of 1 minute drive away.... although stranger things have happened!

Funny enough, I also noticed this in the July 28 council agenda that commerical development with retail, commercial condos, daycare centre, a restaurant, and a bank in Southlands as well (pg. 133).

Looks like Southlands is finally getting some ammenities. Like it or hate it... I'll leave that to your discretion.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 11:37 AM

I noticed those submissions as well in recent weeks. I’m not 100% sure but I think the area where the commercial development is being proposed has had a couple of other proposals in the past few years, one of which was a hotel. It isn’t unusual for properties like this to change hands and different owners propose different things depending on the market conditions. It looks like a nice little neighborhood commercial cluster so we’ll have to see if it gains any traction. Best case it will probably take two to three years to develop.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post

Looks like this project is summited by Atlantic Planning & Management Ltd. They just completed a similar project in Bay Roberts. I guess it would be something similar with an extra fast food outlet. A Needs convince, Tim Horton's and a Shell gas station. Just curious is this the only Shell gas station in the province. I know they are in Labrador but don't recall ever seeing one on the island.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 7:23 PM

I just noticed on the City's website a notice of a Public Meeting on Aug 26th to review the proposal for three apartment buildings in Kenmount Terrace. They appear to be the same version as the one building rejected in Clovelly. Any bets as to whether or not this gets quick approval?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 8:52 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 11:11 AM

Slowly but surely it is coming along but now it doesn't have a complete purpose without the condos. I wonder how it is going to be operated once complete, will it be open to the public after hours or locked up like Atlantic Place? Will it be open during events at Mile One?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 11:37 PM

I noticed this tweet by Jonathan Galway this evening. Would be really interesting to hear what he has to say.

"Looking forward to joining @arianakelland tomorrow morning at 7:40am to discuss my call for a Downtown Revitalization #nltraffic @CBCNL
8:52pm - 13 Aug 14"

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 1:28 PM

I haven’t heard the interview yet so I don’t really know what ideas Mr. Galgay has for revitalizing downtown but I hope one of them starts with the words “clean up…”. There is a lot of work that can be done to clean the place up and brighten it up with some trees and plants.

I’m sure we all have some ideas, big and small, that hopefully we can bandy about in the coming days.

For the most part I think the downtown has come a long way in the past few years, the retail and restaurant scene appears to be doing well, the office sector should get a boost now from two new towers, and the place does seem alive during the summer.

In my opinion the one thing that could use a boost is the residential sector. This one could be a bit tricky because it requires a balance. I think we have seen that there doesn’t appear to be a huge demand right now for $400,000 condos but perhaps what is needed is more modestly priced accommodations.

Two other things that I would throw into the mix would be a small supermarket (hmmm, a contradiction in terms) and a medium sized arts venue, perhaps twice the size of the LSPU.

I’m sure all of these ideas have been mentioned before, all that is needed now is for a few to gain some traction. If Mr. Galgay can get that discussion going, good on him.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 4:17 PM

New to the forums and like taking pictures! Took a random picture of some buildings from the Avalon Mall parking lot approx. 2 weeks ago.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 7:23 PM

Welcome! Nice picture, and as ugly as those two buildings are the face lift that building on the left got really did help it look a little better.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 12:17 PM

That is the only Shell station on the island. Had to get gas and wanted coffee while heading East past Bay Roberts yesterday. Had no idea this business existed. I expected to have to go into Bay Roberts but boy was I pleasantly surprised.

Excellent location for the gas, coffee and convenience store.

ed

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's