HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 5:25 PM

I just discoverd this thread and quickly scanned through some of the posts from 2018:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
MDOT's long-term improvements continue to accelerate Amtrak times on the Michigan Line...Improvements began in 2012 when MDOT purchased the line between Kalamazoo and Dearborn. Amtrak owns the line west of Kalamazoo. Positive train control (PTC) on the line and the new locomotives will further speed up travel on the line later this year.
I took Amtrak from Chicago to Ann Arbor back in March and can confirm that at one point the train reached an astounding 108 mph -- see my screenshot:

Unfortunately by the time the train arrived in Ann Arbor it was about half an hour behind schedule. That journey took ~4.5 hours instead of ~4 hours according to the schedule, even though we weren't delayed by freight trains or accidents. Amtrak has since reverted to the previous schedule, allowing for ~4.5 hours between Chicago and Ann Arbor. It's weird that the speed increase didn't really reduce the travel time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
The study has been completed on the Ann Arbor-to-Traverse City rail proposal over the old path of the old Ann Arbor Railroad
Fascinating! Your post inspired me to look up Michigan railroads and I was surprised to learn that there are numerous defunct railroads throughout the state. Reviving them seems economically viable, and I would be especially interested in this proposed Traverse City - Ann Arbor route.

I don't know if it has been mentioned by others but in 2015 the University of Michigan started the Detroit Connector shuttle bus connecting downtown Ann Arbor to the Detroit Symphony Hall. In Oct 2017 shuttle service was expanded to 7 days a week and to the general public. I took it once and really enjoyed it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation